Thread: Drone changes

Default Drone changes

Few changes that could be listed as bugs but instead of making multiple threads I thought I would add them here.

1) Prevent the drone from moving when you are typing like you do without a drone.
    2) Prevent the drone from sticking to the ground.
    3) Add a dynamic elevation stat to your drone interface. ( 0ft from ground, 10ft from ground etc)
    4) Allow us to elevate the drone higher since it seems that aiming up and attempting to reach specific locations can be troublesome and then forces you to turn around and go arse first which works but still it would be ideal to be able to elevate from a frontal position.
    5) Give us the option to fly your drone back to yourself and when in a proximity allow us to directly take it instead of dropping then taking.

Good idea's especially #5, but I fear that drones are a dead profession now after the nerf.

1.) what nerf are you talkin about (my guess... the PN nerf)
    2.) learn to know your position... request 5. is a failure

my top 5 list for drones

1.) fix launchin failures. still takes too many times to launch a drone
    2.) fix collition errors that make your drones stick with objects and prevents you from gettin it back (wont use any rare drone unless this one is fixed)
    3.) give us a local for rigger interface
    4.) give us a rigger PA
    5.) nerf kami drones (hell yeah) and give us a WoC drone that actually does dmg on the same lvl like other WoC weapons. you can limit the overpowerness by limiting the range.

this list comes from someone who actually loves droning and plays a combat rigger (and I played it already at nc 2)

Should really have added the launching drones and you can't move them but that's a bug and could hog a topic all to itself.

I like the ideas the thread starter posted. I like the elevation on the y axis thing the most. I hope this can be added to vehicles too.

[edit]
    Last edited by Mokoi; 03-03-13 at 01:34. Reason: offtopic/flamebait removed
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Please stay ontopic and by that I mean the suggestions in the opening post, not drones in general, not nerfs of any kind, not personal vendettas.
    Also, we strongly recommend making individual threads for individual suggestions / feature requests (e.g. changes that can be implemented independently) as it helps keep discussion on track.
    If you have a new suggestion to make (be it on drones or otherwise), please do not hijack this thread, but create a new one as well. Thanks.

I oppose these suggested changes because, to me, they seem to come from the position of one that doesn't clearly understand the flight model. That isn't a jab at the OP at all, but rather an observation on the nature of the requests.

#1 I could take or leave, I can see why the request exists a bit, but it's sort of eh.

#2-#5 could only arise out of a misunderstanding of the flight model, and this is why:

Drones in Neocron follow a "ground effect" flight model. They are hovers, *not* flyers. Factors like Wpw and RCL affect loft and lift, which is why you can't just lock in a height value and ride at that height. You're not a zeppelin, you're a ground-pushing hover.

With the right technique and surfaces you can loft very, very high, but you can't 'soar' because you aren't that kind of vehicle, and "sticking to the ground" only happens when you have tried to soar and landed hard. This is also why it works to "go arse first" in some cases, as your lifters are positioned against a surface in that position where they aren't in the other.

I don't think drones should be made any "easier" at all, I like that they take some finesse and understanding to fly, and that technique matters. It separates the good pilots from the not so great, actually. That alone is a unique and precious thing in an MMO.

Finally, while autopickup is easier, it's not anything I need or desire, it just makes it easier to not lose a drone to carelessness. I don't think that needs to be nerfed. Carelessness is not a type of gameplay I feel keen to incentivize.

So, I'm sorry to be so shooty-down of those ideas, but I vote no on all but 1, upon which I vote "meh" for there are greater issues than a little harmless chat wiggle

Quote Originally Posted by IanKett View Post
    1) Prevent the drone from moving when you are typing like you do without a drone.
    Dont care about this and likely chance is people would use this to open up the chat interface to hover where they want.

2) Prevent the drone from sticking to the ground.
    Again this happens because you are flying to close to the ground or having moved from high up you end up hitting the ground. For a skilled player this rarely happens.

3) Add a dynamic elevation stat to your drone interface. ( 0ft from ground, 10ft from ground etc)
    This i would like. Rather than pointing up and drive forward then pointing down and drive backwards to get height would be useful and allow a slightly more stable flight.

4) Allow us to elevate the drone higher since it seems that aiming up and attempting to reach specific locations can be troublesome and then forces you to turn around and go arse first which works but still it would be ideal to be able to elevate from a frontal position.
    As said above by moving forward while pointing up then pointing down and reversing you can gain as much height as you need.

5) Give us the option to fly your drone back to yourself and when in a proximity allow us to directly take it instead of dropping then taking.
    This is an interesting one, this would allow people to not risk griefers from stealing your drones because when you drop them they are standing around you waiting to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by lindian View Post
    1.) fix launchin failures. still takes too many times to launch a drone
    Would be a great thing to do and im sure they are working on it.

2.) fix collition errors that make your drones stick with objects and prevents you from gettin it back (wont use any rare drone unless this one is fixed)
    I still use rare drones because it doesnt cost much to make a new one. Unless you mean ones made with rare parts.

3.) give us a local for rigger interface
    This would be good idea again. Not a top priority though.

4.) give us a rigger PA
    Would be nice to have a drone PA, but so would a H-C PE Regants PA.

5.) nerf kami drones (hell yeah) and give us a WoC drone that actually does dmg on the same lvl like other WoC weapons. you can limit the overpowerness by limiting the range.
    Also fix kami drones. Sometimes on a fully buffed target they will do 600-700 dmg, other times they do about 200-300dmg with no rhyme or reason behind it for a revenge.
    As to a WoC drone it would be nice to see one, though it depends on what type they make it and how it works.

1) Also fixing Mossy drones to actually be good might be nice to.
    Last edited by demonssword; 03-03-13 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by demonssword View Post
    I still use rare drones because it doesnt cost much to make a new one. Unless you mean ones made with rare parts.
    yep talking about rare parts drones cuz they are artifact and not outstanding