Thread: Rework Stealth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rework Stealth

Hi everyone,

I played my Spy a lot recently and I more and more realise what advantages you have playing this class.

I don't want to compare this to other classes but the Spy itself seems a bit too strong nowadays. One of the many problems could be the stealth behaviour.
    A spy is able to get in stealth and therefor is nearly invincible. He can just run away and he's safe, if he manages to stay out of any AOE-Damage. Every Tank knows how hard it is to chase a stealthing spy.
    The problem however is the speed that you have while in stealth.

Stealth is supposed to be a tool for infiltrating, for spying, for sneaking. But it is only used for evading combat these days.
    And of course you can do this very effectively. Normally you should go into stealth when nobody sees you anyway and then infiltrate OPs or enemy cities.

So what I suggest is:
    When you go into stealth, you should be slowed down to 2/3 of the normal runspeed. That would make chasing the stealther easier for other characters, and stealth-tools with higher stealth duration (like the obliterator) would become more important.

The stealth-tool would get back its designed value.

Of course there is the coincidence with the PE, who would also suffer from this change. But the PE as a whole has to be changed completely, so I would not like to see this part discussed in this thread.

What about the old system? You could get a "drugflash" if you using the stealth often and a little cooldown after each stealth too.
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERDISCORDGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT​​

für einen freien Geist Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    [...]The problem however is the speed that you have while in stealth.[...]
    If thats the problem, shouldn't the discussion be put on hold till the current "high speed problem" is solved/put into a state it will stay for now?
    Because if speed is a problem, the high speed will factor into it.

I can't really comment on how hard / easy it is to chase a stealthed spy at the moment, but from the viewpoint of a spy I want to add that

1) I guess, depending on how it is implemented I could live with reduced speed (depending on original speed of course, see above, since it shouldn't be a walk in the park to chase a stealthed, moving spy)

2) If something promotes the use of the higher stealthtools I think the ways to get out of stealth should be reviewed too. At the moment the Stealthbreakers are very unhandy (way they work, weight and price combined, in my opinion, lead to that).
    I may not agree
    with what you have to say,
    but I'll defend to the death
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    What about the old system? You could get a "drugflash" if you using the stealth often and a little cooldown after each stealth too.
    ++

i like it hehe even as spy

Fat Ugly Dirty Bastard

Yeah, just go ahead and break another aspect of the game already.
    You even realise there are people on the server not interessted in PVP?

Please stick to fix the issues you already broke first.

(And by you, I don't mean you personally Nabbl, please don't be offended)
    --/

pottburter
    aka
    Kulax, Engineer on Mars
    Tangent Mastercrafter
    Lobby #69
    ---
    „Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte.“
    (Max Liebermann, 1847-1935)

Quote Originally Posted by pottburter View Post
    Yeah, just go ahead and break another aspect of the game already.
    You even realise there are people on the server not interessted in PVP?

Please stick to fix the issues you already broke first.

(And by you, I don't mean you personally Nabbl, please don't be offended)
    I am not offended :-)
    Different opinions are something I very much appreciate. (*hearing laughter at the other end of the room*)

I do not see it as a thing of PvP. Even in PVE it makes perfectly sense. Why should you be able to pass a hundred monsters in stealth. There are spies who cross whole sectors in stealth. I do not think stealth should be designed like that.

In most MMORPGs stealth makes you automatically slower and I think it is no bad idea for Neocron also.

@Zoltan: It could be a solution. But I hate the way the drugflash is implemented right now. It just discourages you. How many times did I just log off because I had drugflash? Or I switched to desktop and did something more satisfying than standing around seeing nothing. There has to be a punishment of course for taking drugs, but it is just a pain in the arse at the moment.

Fat Ugly Dirty Bastard

I do not see it as a thing of PvP. Even in PVE it makes perfectly sense. Why should you be able to pass a hundred monsters in stealth. There are spies who cross whole sectors in stealth. I do not think stealth should be designed like that.
    To be honest, this sounds more like a runspeed issue to me than the stealth being overpowered.
    It might be just me, but since I did not spec everything in runspeed the Stealth 3 I'm using is just enough to get past the aggro range of a few monsters.

Making one slower in stealth might render the Stealth Tool 1 and 2 useless.
    --/

pottburter
    aka
    Kulax, Engineer on Mars
    Tangent Mastercrafter
    Lobby #69
    ---

Whatever you guys decide to do, please make sure it doesn't take the fun out of playing a spy. The very first thing i spec on a spy is stealth and then runspeed. PvP should be the first goal but lets not forget about what makes a spy awesome to play...the stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by pottburter View Post
    To be honest, this sounds more like a runspeed issue to me than the stealth being overpowered.
    It might be just me, but since I did not spec everything in runspeed the Stealth 3 I'm using is just enough to get past the aggro range of a few monsters.

Making one slower in stealth might render the Stealth Tool 1 and 2 useless.
    I would like to agree. Stealth is valid for pve also. How many mobs i should be able to pass ?

Normally the spy should have the lowest resist/armor defense, therefore its intended to give him something to compensate this, and a USP , a unique feature.

This pvp problem seems to have more to do with the known speed/speedtanking problem, then solve it there rather than render items more useless for pvp issues.

And: the stealthed spy isn't complete invisible at all and vulnerable to some damage sorts, not AoE only (plasma cannon etc.).

I would not change this.

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by DR REED View Post
    I would like to agree. Stealth is valid for pve also. How many mobs i should be able to pass ?

Normally the spy should have the lowest resist/armor defense, therefore its intended to give him something to compensate this, and a USP , a unique feature.

This pvp problem seems to have more to do with the known speed/speedtanking problem, then solve it there rather than render items more useless for pvp issues.

And: the stealthed spy isn't complete invisible at all and vulnerable to some damage sorts, not AoE only (plasma cannon etc.).

I would not change this.

Reed
    I just want to clarify what the role of the stealth should be. A tool for evade combat? Or a tool to spy and sneak for infiltration purposes?
    At the moment it is only used to evade combat.
    For me it is not directly related to the current runspeed-problems. It is more or less a discussion about the role of the stealth itself.

NC2 were u fight bugs from NC1

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    I just want to clarify what the role of the stealth should be. A tool for evade combat? Or a tool to spy and sneak for infiltration purposes?
    For me it is not directly related to the current runspeed-problems. It is more or less a discussion about the role of the stealth itself.
    It should be a tool that a spy can use for any of the above situations.
    Stealth in PvE is quite broken. If a mob see's you and you enter stealth it will still hit you. Sometimes they just completely ignore stealth and hit you even if you never agro'd them before stealthing.

In PvP, it usually takes a second to activate the tool and after being used you have to re-select it and then use the tool again, adding a few more seconds to re-stealthing.
    I do however feel that the insane runspeed at the moment has made it the only means of survival. It used to be that a tank or whoever would just aim for your legs to cripple you and even if you stealthed you were in trouble. If they were using a CS or AoE weapon they'd kill you in stealth.

I'm not saying there's no issues with it, but I would like to see something done about runspeed first to then see exactly where we are at with regards to stealth usage.
    TERRA:
    Master Netphreak : Rifle PE 70/65** | Netphreak : Rifle Spy 79/65**
    Jedi Master Net : Gimped Blessed Hybird Monk 62/55**
    Kid Net : Pistol PE 63/65** | Chuck Rock : 56/58* H-C tank
    Dark Eagle : 73/56** CST Pistol Spy

Fat Ugly Dirty Bastard

Sorry, but I fail to see the difference.
    Ever since the abandonment of the Dome, there is nothing left to invade or sneak into. (Except the Canyon maybe)

I remember back on Mars I used stealth to get into the Dome and all the way to the FA HQ to change faction.
    I was TT at that time and it was one of the most exciting things I ever did in NC, sneaking past guards and enemy players.

Nowadays, all that's left for stealth is "evading combat" and get through a public genrep unharmed.

"Infiltration" is evading combat in NC, as sad as it may be.
    --/

pottburter
    aka
    Kulax, Engineer on Mars
    Tangent Mastercrafter
    Lobby #69
    ---

imho the spy should have less top damage and maybe even a little less defense, not less means to evade combat.

A 5 second delay (or however much) between using stealth and going invisible is something I have been saying for ages. I'm with nabbl, it's primary use is these days is a get out of jail card, not a means of infiltration.

Getting out of a damaging situation is exfiltration just so you know.

Agreed on the slow down point however. I like that. I do not like the 5 second delay though. A spy could easily die in that time. That would be horrendous!
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast