Default there are two diifferent neocrons

At least. Nc forum discussions in the recent months, mainly in brainport, pointed to at least two different Neocrons, existing in parallel. And causing problems in the overlapping areas.

There is one large group within the NC-Player-population who want to cap as fast as possible, and compete in PvP. A second group of comparable size want to play the game. In all its details. Explore it, get items, have professions (i.e. make 5-slotters), hunt mobs, design apartments, play roles, do PvP. To this second main group PvP also exists, but not in the center of the game. Of course we're getting into problems whenever those two groups talk or play together.

We don't instantly assume all others are stupid, but we're having difficulties with someone of a totally different opinion on a somehow important subject. Faction One "PvP is the main part of neocron" want all players taking part in one big screen-sports-event, "and please simplify the rest of the game." Faction Two "PvP is just a small part of neocron" want to pursue different ingame-interests without feeling molested by PvP, "and please don' simplify the game, give us even more options and complexity." Right now on Titan nearly all Non-LEds are members of Faction One ("PvP-uber-alles") while LEds are in Faction Two ("PvP-inter-pares").

One way to change the situation would be putting up a new server on stricler PvP-rules (i.e. PvP only between clans after an official game-mechanics declaration of war), so Titan could be a "PvP-only-server". Not today, maybe in the future, when more and more people play "the best MMO there is" (tm).

- Question to the PvP-faction: Would you want Titan as a PvP-server, without high-level Leds, some time in the future?
    - Question to the PvP-and everything-else-faction: Would you want a new server on stricter PvP-rules, embedded into the RP-context, some time in the future?
    - Question to everyone outside of either faction (Three): What would you rather do?

On answering, please try to identify yourself as Faction One (more PvP), Two (more everything), or Three (can't decide/other).

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

I guess im in #3, although i actually sit in between 1 and 2.
    i dont think it would be a good idea, simply on the basis that it has been done before and failed, not because it cant work, but more because we wont see enough players to have a really vibrant atmosphere on both.
    If we do, dont forget the pvp server will almost always be lacking good and available tradeskillers, both sides need to ride hand in hand really - alot of what is wrong with pvp servers in just that, they dont entice you to explore, there are no chance meetings, you log on, go to customary fight spot and fight for awhile, then theres the other side - a pve server is boring, no chance of having to fight or flee from someone, it become boring very quickly, it becomes a single player game.

I would love to pvp all the time, but im never good enough to win and not end up broke, also not good enough/ dont have time anymore to come back from being broke quickly, so although i marvel in the games complexity, for me to have a chance to play well i would love to see it simplified, atleast become twitch based, damn recticle!!
    As a non pvper, because thats what my ping and abilities force me to be, i would also love to see the game become bigger, but less mathematically complex, bring back nc1 imp stats!

I personally dont see why people think it has to be one or the other, it simply needs balancing and a few exploits and mechanics fixed.
    I think that the team should simplify things for themselves, to make balancing easier, not because players want it easier.
    Last edited by yavimaya; 19-01-13 at 14:50.

/5char
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post
    I personally dont see why people think it has to be one or the other, it simply needs balancing and a few exploits and mechanics fixed.
    Agreed, the game is doing just fine as is. It's getting pulled along with blood, sweat and unpaid hours. Strangely enough, I think it's in the best state for years. Kirk may not get on these boards as much as people would like, but he has clearly laid out a solid plan with the staff of volunteers and the game is improving.

There will always be two main camps in a game like this and I believe it would destroy the game to separate them (even though there are a few "extremists" I would love to see the back of). Lets have no more talk of pulling the game to pieces and focus on improving it with the Brainport and PTS. I believe we can all feel the game is changing for the better and each of us are a little tempted to tug it in our own direction.

A big thanks to the team for putting so much work in and pretty much getting it right. A big thanks to Kirk for enabling our addiction through his own pocket.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

Honestly, just leave neocron as it is. This game is pretty much sandbox and caters to everyone's tastes. I think what will help this clash is more content really. Maybe some new pvp dynamics or more quests.

Also is it really that hard for the pvpers to just fight each other? All I hear is bitching about people taking out there LE's and really it's because they got more numbers and better gear and just want an easy kill. I hate to say this but the mentality of a lot of pvpers (not all) is one of ego if anything. I cannot be the only one's tired of the man childish smack talk that goes on the chat channels.

Grown men with families throwing real death threats around and calling everyone a homo. I've face palmed so much my face has a permanent hand print embedded in the skin.
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Neocron allows for a lot of different play styles.

To try and squeeze all players into two arbitrary categories is a stereotyped thinking that does no one any good.

Variety and friction is what makes Neocron special to me.

Variety because you can opt to play the game the way you want to and friction –in this case– because there is always players or groups of players who think their truth is the truth and it is their mission to proselytize everyone else.

This fight between the noisy minorities has gone on for a decade now and I hope it will continue for as long as possible

I wouldn't have such a problem with the LE chip if there were one or two minor disadvantages to using it. The simple fact is, wearing an LE gives you an advantage over non-LE wearing players. My other (and perhaps bigger) issue with the LE, is those people that use it as a ticket to grief/hassle other players.

Example :

As soon as the server came back up last night, an LE'd player blocked the El Farid L2 spawn. Nobody could do a thing about it except whine at him. That shouldn't be the case in my opinion.

In terms of your 'factions', I think it's nonsense. You describe faction 1 as if you think they're idiots, with little to no interest in anything but PvP. You're wrong.

I would say that PvP is absolutely my primary focus in game, but that doesn't mean to say I don't enjoy tech/mc5 farming and building myself an apartment. What I don't enjoy is being fucked around at every turn during the levelling process, by cowardly griefers and their LEs.

this re-posted black and white post is getting old this is hardly how it is.... Just because a few trolls are so prevalent on the forums does not mean everyone is lumped together into two categories, this is a BIG MISTAKE to assume something like this

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Don't split the population in any capacity, and don't assume all pvpers never roleplay and all roleplayers never pvp. Tweaks are needed, but it only goes as far as that.

There is only one type of player, the ones who play NC. To paraphrase, "Ich bin ein NCer"

torg this is just hyperbole and opinion. I couldnt find one single fact in there. Sorry but this is just more bs.

So to that end I cannot be bothered to explain how typecasting anyone in this forum is a bad thing, if you cant see it then I cannot help you. This is just a disguised version of more flame bait to either ignite the forum or just cause more arguments generally. As a poster you have a history of disagreeing with everything others say and tbh it just looks to me IN MY OPINION that you are trying to incite arguments/disagreements to further your own ends.

sorry but this thread is a total waste of time.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Meh, why seperate these two groups at all. So (to borrow your simplified model cause I think that's all he was trying to do William Antrim :P) some guys like to PvP, others prefer to take in the environment. I don't think we are "getting into problems" with these two groups. I think the frustration comes from people wanting to take the game in different directions, but there really isn't anything that polarising devs could do to change the game so drastically that either one or the other group would be impacted horrendously.

Basically, lets not panic shard the community, k?
    http://www.synth-soft.com/ - NC Implant Calculator
    {{{{{{{{{{OHM}}}}}}}}}}

Back for the moment

First of all diluting the current population would wound or kill the game. Any way you look at it the LE population is needed in this game for trading, tradeskilling, poking and just a feeling of there being people ingame, what is needed is a carrot and stick approach to try convince people to remove the LE and bring the population back to NC1 where at least 95% of people removed the LE at character creation.

Personally my love of this game very much comes from tradeskilling I always loved the percentage and slot system no matter how frustrating they can be at times. At the moment this is what keeps my LE in!! Since the city is no longer a safe zone with the exception of plaza 1 I cannot take out my LE if I want to produce anywhere else and to be honest I need to produce close to HEW and smugglers unless I want to spend hours running around with my barter or I want to risk being ganked while overburdened with several million NC of weapon parts, neither of which I find to be particularly appealing especially since I lack rare imps to make taking out my LE worth my skillpoints.

Thats not to say that I don't love pvp, people I fought with and against on Uranus will tell you that I attended OP fights with my constructor when she could only use a libby and considering how gimped a setup you have doing this I normally acquitted myself quite well especially when the RoLH was still good.

Example of carrot and stick off of the top of my head:
    Carrot: Open all GRs or add in more wasteland non-OP GRs, my reasoning being that if you are pked you can get back to where you are much much quicker so that pvp when solo in the wastelands is less of a burden when its not your primary focus in game.
    Stick:Cap the TL of items that LE users can use to say for example tl99, my reasoning being that if you cannot use most of the worthwhile rares and no MC5 imps then you are much more likely to take out the LE. I used tl99 for an example as it rules out most of the good rares but doesn't impact on LE ppus too badly but could be moved up or down TL depending on how much of a penalty is deemed to be needed.

I think something needs to be done to encourage people into clans, correct me if I am wrong the only advantages to clans at the moment are shared bank, shared cabinets, no sl loss if you kill a clan member and the ability to hold ops. For the current average player these are of very limited value. Unfortunately I cannot think of any off of the top of my head other then maybe xp or cash bonuses for being a member of a clan but I think something a little less blunt would be better.

There are also some cultural issues on the server as well. Back on Uranus if a capped player or group of players killed everyone at say the MB then between the local mercs capped alts and friends said player would be chased off or killed whereas now it tends to just get a response of "Put your LE back in noob" in chat and later the same person complaining that there is nobody to fight! To encourage people to take out LEs there needs to be some attempts at self policing among pvpers and not the prevalent attitude of killing anyone without an LE that you don't happen to know.

The mechanics of the LE also need to be changed so that its less exploitable especially in dungeon sectors. I can think of 2 ways of doing it but not sure how easy either would be to implement. 1. Make it so the LE effectively shuts off when you enter a dungeon zone so if your blocking a respawn you can be killed for it, the heavy SL penalties in dungeon zones should already be an effective counter balance to this but could be increased if needed. 2. Make it so that when the boss mob dies that after 5 minutes that everyone left in the zone is kicked to their apartment and the zone is automatically reset.

I know my replay is a bit off of the stated topic but I think its relevant to the debate in the community as a whole and better then resurrecting an old thread. And even more long ass then I thought!!

No no; the game needs these two groups of players. The meaner players (of either group) can always be more mature, but the game needs both groups. Separating them would thin out the population too much and probably not work.

Sorry not trolling this thread made me think of this though lol

Hand me a gun and ask me again zii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torg View Post
    Right now on Titan nearly all Non-LEds are members of Faction One ("PvP-uber-alles") while LEds are in Faction Two ("PvP-inter-pares").
    This is untrue. I do not fit into this pigeon hole and I know many who do not. You may try and paint a black & white picture but it never it.

One way to change the situation would be putting up a new server on stricler PvP-rules
    A PVP only server was tried (Neptune) and it failed miserably. Why repeat the same mistake.

On answering, please try to identify yourself as Faction One (more PvP), Two (more everything), or Three (can't decide/other).
    Obviously your request is blatantly flawed!

There is no real reason to split the game up. Accept the game as it is: A hybrid of both worlds. Then you shall enjoy yourself.

We don't instantly assume all others are stupid, but...
    No, but we expect you to use the search function. Then you can see your questions suggestions and presumptions have been put onto paper before on this forum. ;P
    Last edited by zii; 20-01-13 at 22:33. Reason: minor irony sarcasm and taunts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast