Default Biccy's Ideas - 7) Implants

Before i explain what i feel the problems are / what i would like to see fixed please understand that these are simply my ideas that, after playing the game during its core times (when it was at its very best), i feel need to be adjusted in order to make this a better experience and not another moment where the game looks promising only to be shot down by bad moves which has happened again and again.

IMPLANTS - PRIORITY MEDIUM

This could just be me being new to the game after being away for a while - but why on earth were implants changed to decimal values? Neocron was a fantastic game for customisation in terms of Con and Implants, but it was also great because of how simple yet effective it was. From my point of view having 1.56 dex on an implant is utterly pointless. I see what they're trying to do and how it works where having multiple implants round up etc but why not just have flat numbers and save all the hassle - like it used to be.

I don't remember people complaining about original implants being bad and how they wanted this new system and if this is a game for the community then why not just revert to how it was. I myself am not entirely sure what the community as a whole want, but the people I've spoken to and myself would both before the previous system.

While on the note of implants there are some very odd choices of where main stats have been added - why is there no dex on the close combat CPU's? Adding it to that would not only make sense but also give a helping hand to the PE's who are struggling.

I think the majority of people agree with you. No one I know has any idea why they added decimals. It is utterly bonkers. The only explanation I can think of is fine tuning... but even then it makes no sense. I would much rather we revert to the older simpler values for things.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

They've basically done the complete opposite of fine tuning. The old values + stats on implants made so much more sense and, if they were to be reverted, would help towards to buffing of some classes (Close / Long combat CPU's *cough*)

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    No one I know has any idea why they added decimals. It is utterly bonkers. The only explanation I can think of is fine tuning... but even then it makes no sense.
    The reason was given in the old 2.2 FAQ on the old website (might still be in the balancing archive folder too?). The reason being that KK had this plan that implant values would scale with condition (ie a chip that gave +12 RC and 120/120 condition would only give +10 and 100/120 etc). This is also the reason that implants now take damage when you get shot. Needless to say, people hated the idea with great frothing rage, and it was dropped, but we were left with the new weird numbers (although why the imps couldn't have started out with a whole number bonus/malus I don't know). Why they also felt the need to make certain implants useless, and encourage MC5 stacking, I also couldn't say.

I'd suggest a compromise short-term solution of allowing whole number and half units too, so that existing imps could be switched across to a saner system with minimal balance changes. To really make the implant system sing though, there needs to be some changes in the skilling system (at the moment, it's not clear why you'd ever care for the + weapon skill imps for example, when the difference it will make to your damage output is so minimal, especially with all the MC5s/rares that are almost as good)

für einen freien Geist Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigestiveBiscui View Post
    While on the note of implants there are some very odd choices of where main stats have been added - why is there no dex on the close combat CPU's? Adding it to that would not only make sense but also give a helping hand to the PE's who are struggling.
    The idea, I think, was that you have to decide between higher Main Stat and higher Damage for your current weapon. But that wasn't implemented consistently as far as I could see, while it is true for Pistol and Rifle Chips, all others still have bonus Stats. Thats maybe a bit unbalanced.

As far as PEs are concerned: The chip change might help there, but I think with the changes they made they also lowered the requisites for some higher items, but with no PE experience myself i don't know if it got worse.
    I may not agree
    with what you have to say,
    but I'll defend to the death
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire