Default Biccy's Ideas - 3) Hacknet

Before i explain what i feel the problems are / what i would like to see fixed please understand that these are simply my ideas that, after playing the game during its core times (when it was at its very best), i feel need to be adjusted in order to make this a better experience and not another moment where the game looks promising only to be shot down by bad moves which has happened again and again.

HACKET - PRIORITY MEDIUM

Oh hacknet..... how much I've loved you being part of neocron. This might just be me and I may recieve a massive no from the community on this - but hacknet is something that needs to be squashed and re-worked another time. Neocron has a habit of adding more and more things instead of sitting back and fixing the stuff that could make the game a whole lot better and Hacknet was a prime example of this. Instead of spending time re-working some of the small things that would of made OP Fighting better they simply added another element to it.

The idea is great, don't get me wrong, but all hacknet turned out to be was the same zone after zone of tedious running to then get to where you needed to be. With the servers so low on pop as well it never really became what i was meant to be - a last line of defence where hackers can fight to determine the outcome.

I never thought this was needed and was quite happy with the '3 hacks and we're done' idea - and adding onto it the fact that you pretty much destroyed PE's being able to hack and do damage it left just spies with this experience - again... not enough people play this game to make it worth while.

So ditch it, just revert back to the old days of OP fighting as it was and think of a new way to add this in the future. Again - this was not a bad idea....but it wasn't really thought up enough to make it work.

I like the 3 hack rule tbh. It was brought in to stop "ninja" hacking and it has worked but I agree and I think you might see more small clans try to compete for ops if they didnt need 2-3 people constantly relogging to have enough hackers. This is the main reason my clan has not begun to opfight in any real number - just not enough hackers.

We still fight, dont get me wrong here but I just think with 3 "real" world hackers it might be more attractive tbh. That said I think everyone agrees hacknet is borked as it is.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

I can't remember a time since it's been released where hacknet wasn't terrible - could just be me though :P. It's one of the main reasons i stopped with OP wars also - i just don't find that part interesting at all

Also, does anyone actually enjoy hacknet?

Quote Originally Posted by DigestiveBiscui View Post
    Also, does anyone actually enjoy hacknet?
    i think hacknet is one of the most beautiful places in NC, but imho it just doesnt make real sense the way it is. i can hear it asking for being reworked.

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

I've always said that Hacknet feels as if it was knocked up in the last week before NC2 launch. HN combat is just psi combat with only 3 spells (attack, def, heal). There are all of 7 or 8 (pretty basic) zones, repeated endlessly. Only two boss mobs are different, all other mobs are effectively identical.
    Combined with the nature of the empty, narrow environments making for dull, static gameplay.
    And over time we've lost even more of the things that make HN different - runspeed is now pretty much what it is in the "real world", and player models are now all the same as the normal model for that player.

I also think that there's not a lot of point in trying to fix that. Fill HN with extra content and variety, and you've still just got a green-tinged, psi-combat only world.

So yeah, I'd be happy to see hacknet if not removed, made completely unnecessary. If one day Neocron was to get a genuine "cyberspace" environment, one that was actually different to the "real world", but (more importantly) also interfaced with the real world (eg a locked door could be opened through hacknet) then that would be great. But what we have now? It's pretty to look at, and a nice way of GRing back to HQ without SI, but a real pain to have to actually deal with.

Good idea.

Hacknet needs a Rezz ... something called like Runner Backup System or what ever and some "Apps" that attach the Character more Resist or higher Hackskill (could use it as Armor or Implants). It needs some more Caves and nicer Cybercreatures, where you can find the Codefragments for this "Apps". How a about a spawning Hacknet-Creature like the Chaoscave Queens or Grims?
    Ok you need Area Damage things most people say but it could be fun for Hacknetteams.

Quote Originally Posted by devilstriker View Post
    Hacknet needs a Rezz ... something called like Runner Backup System or what ever and some "Apps" that attach the Character more Resist or higher Hackskill (could use it as Armor or Implants). It needs some more Caves and nicer Cybercreatures, where you can find the Codefragments for this "Apps". How a about a spawning Hacknet-Creature like the Chaoscave Queens or Grims?
    Ok you need Area Damage things most people say but it could be fun for Hacknetteams.

I like these ideas!

NC2 were u fight bugs from NC1

My NC knowledge is clearly failing me. I thought you still just had to hack the 3 levels of an OP, not do something in hacknet.
    TERRA:
    Master Netphreak : Rifle PE 70/65** | Netphreak : Rifle Spy 79/65**
    Jedi Master Net : Gimped Blessed Hybird Monk 62/55**
    Kid Net : Pistol PE 63/65** | Chuck Rock : 56/58* H-C tank
    Dark Eagle : 73/56** CST Pistol Spy

You need to Hack 3 level and after it u have to activate the OP for your clan in the Hacknet on 2 Ways. Way 1 is to hack the 4th level and spawn in to the Outpost-Hacknet directly or Way 2 is running arround the Hacknet directly to the Outpost and activate it.
    Last ist the best for preparing for OP-Fight bringing a Char to the Hacknet OP thing before OP-fight starts.

And that Net is why we have been levelling our hackers!

NC2 were u fight bugs from NC1

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    And that Net is why we have been levelling our hackers!
    Ah, in that case I shall create one in the near future to help out.
    What HCK you need?

Back on the topic of HN it would be nice of there was more variety to the look and feel of places in there. Think it would probably be a huge task though.
    TERRA:
    Master Netphreak : Rifle PE 70/65** | Netphreak : Rifle Spy 79/65**
    Jedi Master Net : Gimped Blessed Hybird Monk 62/55**
    Kid Net : Pistol PE 63/65** | Chuck Rock : 56/58* H-C tank
    Dark Eagle : 73/56** CST Pistol Spy

Quote Originally Posted by devilstriker View Post
    Way 1 is to hack the 4th level and spawn in to the Outpost-Hacknet directly or Way 2 is running arround the Hacknet directly to the Outpost and activate it.

Devil you are the man. I didnt know about way 1. i only knew how to do it on way 2. So. The 4th level. DO i hack this at the main hack terminal in the op or do i hack it at the GR in the op (over ground or underground) ?

Edit. i love hacknet personally but it screaming out for content and a rework. It is however a whole big chore by its self. i could see it being one huge patch to sort it out. death in there pisses me off because its such a long run. The option of a Rez would be A-FUCKING-MAZING imo. team of 2. both with rezzes if your friend dies. yes please.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

u hack the hackterm "over ground" to get at the 4th level. the first hacker and a fresh hacker can both do this, not sure about the 2nd/3rd layer hackers.
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast