für einen freien Geist Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Default Change Faction Databases to be harder accessible

At the moment, when i want something from one faction net, its much easier to just create a starting character with all in hacking of the chosen faction. I give him the necessary cubes and send him up there. No need for any hacknet char to organize the materials necessary to access a foreign net, not even necessary to contact a able hacker on that side.
    I can't help it, that feels wrong to me. Either its meant for that things to be gotten that easily, then they could be out of hacknet all along. Or its meant for those things to be a little harder to get, then they should be better protected from a beginner char I just throw in there.

One "idea" if the items are meant to be gotten easier might be to have them buyable at the respective FSMs, but they can also be downloaded in the net - but also for your own database you need a codebreaker. That way one could either pay the FSM price or download it. Of course Components / Price would have to be figured out so that it actually has upsides to download the blueprint.

Its just a loose idea for that direction, not my "make it so, I'd find that cool" idea.

As for making harder there could be a certain hacking skill needed to bypass your own database, additional there could be a high sympathy needed; It could be that you need to be in the faction and have the "Master" title; or it could even be that also for your own side you need codebreakers.

Again only loose ideas.

P.Ss can't find how to change the title, should be more like "different" accessible, not "harder"
    I may not agree
    with what you have to say,
    but I'll defend to the death
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

you got a point. faction-alts may be convenient but are also a workaround (semi-exploit) of game mechanics.

The Hacknet mobs don't work right inside the faction DB's. If they attack you at all they don't do any damage. There are six level 64 mobs guarding the entrances to each faction DB, this should be enough if they worked to attack anyone who isnt their faction.

Accessing the faction DB could require a certain skill in HCK, for example 100.

The mobs should kill you if your faction symp is below a certain lvl
    Also you shouldn't get access to the DB itself when your hack is below a certain lvl, think 75HCK would be a good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Eres View Post
    Accessing the faction DB could require a certain skill in HCK, for example 100.
    The easy, simple and logical way. Im in full agreement.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

I only take realy new players into account and there i think 100 HCK is to high.
    BPs from faction db are a nice income if you are new and with 100HCK requirement you would lock them out of the only income except cash from mob kills.

For Vets the HCK requirement doesn't realy matter, it only needs a bit more time

Quote Originally Posted by murdog View Post
    I only take realy new players into account and there i think 100 HCK is to high.
    BPs from faction db are a nice income if you are new and with 100HCK requirement you would lock them out of the only income except cash from mob kills.

For Vets the HCK requirement doesn't realy matter, it only needs a bit more time
    75 is good too, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by murdog View Post

More Time is important. To reach 100 takes some time so it isn't THAT easy to just make a Character of the required faction. 75 is much to low, you can start with 64, it takes you 5 Levels to reach 75, thats not really much (would be better than now though)
    I may not agree
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

to hack a database of another faction should be the job of a full level hacker imo. And for every bp you should have to run the full way, because al lot of people make trillions of bps with 1 run and sell them cheaply.

I agree that its too easy to get to the faction databases and download the blueprints but its abit too late to do anything about the current blueprints. I really hate nerfing and so do many other players and its unfair for new players to have much harder time to get these items than players that got them before. Instead new blueprints and new difficulties ( content ) should be made so both new and old players are at same level of difficulty getting the new items.

So Im in the view of leave it as it is and create new content that is harder to get. I have an idea of a upgrade of the faction system that I will post later which could affect this issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    More Time is important. To reach 100 takes some time so it isn't THAT easy to just make a Character of the required faction. 75 is much to low, you can start with 64, it takes you 5 Levels to reach 75, thats not really much (would be better than now though)
    May be we can make a compromise around 80-90 HCK

I say go for 75 hack skill. It is not too low and not too high. I think you should have to do the hack game to get your bps too. This way PEs can still have access along with the usual monks and spies.

Also please bear in mind that you can access HN currently with like 30 hack. This would effectively double the requirement plus a bit to get the BPs and it still means that the PE can still feel useful in some minor way as a tradeskiller.
    Last edited by William Antrim; 17-01-13 at 23:42.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    I say go for 75 hack skill. It is not too low and not too high. I think you should have to do the hack game to get your bps too. This way PEs can still have access along with the usual monks and spies.
    75 sounds pretty good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post

Also please bear in mind that you can access HN currently with like 30 hack. This would effectively double the requirement plus a bit to get the BPs and it still means that the PE can still feel useful in some minor way as a tradeskiller.
    You remind me of a point i forgot, which is "normal" runners that try to access HN content (compared to runners that are just created to download data). I was coming from the point of a newly created char, thats made only for download purposes.

Maybe it would be possible to either depend the restriction on two stats (one lowering the requirement of the other), or otherwise implement two "databases".
    The secondary restriction could be for example on Faction Sympathy.
    So a newly created char with 50 Sympathy (or less) would need 100 Hack. An active char in the faction, thats been played longer and has Faction sympathy 90 only needs 60 or maybe 50 Hack, or maybe none at all.

I wouldn't want to really stop a Private Eye or monk to download from his faction, I just want to stop a "just created" char to be able to do better than an experienced hacker of a different faction.

The alternative with two or more databases (there are already two or three "NPCs" in the location) might have
    1) 50 Sympathy and 100 Hack for free download
    2) 75 Sympathy and 75 Hack for free download
    3) 95 Sympathy for free download

if you come from a different faction with a codebreaker it shouldn't matter which one you use.
    I may not agree
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast