Thread: The Job Centre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I really hope this idea is implemented. I've wandered around there a couple times and it really is a nice zone.

I definitely think you are right in that Mr. Jones should tell you about the Job Center upon completion of the starter mission. I also would even say that all of the text currently in the JobCenter NPCs should be rewritten.

The text both has weird things:
    - To girl behind the counter: "Hi can you tell me about this place?" Reply: "Check the JobTerms."
    - To guy behind the counter: "Can I join you and a group of friends?" (Kinda weird to say to a stranger who is at work. lol)

And incorrect things:
    - "The LE reduces skills for certain tools etc"

Having all NPCs types (even the workers in the cubicles) potentially be a part of a mission received there would be nice. No one in there should say the default, "Get lost wanker" I think.

The CA guards may need to be removed so that anti-city players can use the zone without being killed. (It's a safezone anyway, so no need for protection from guards).

Having the missions send players to lesser-used zones I also think is a good idea, like Industrial-A etc.

One final thought:
    In some existing missions, such as CST/RES missions, the NPC in the HQ which you need to speak with is decided randomly. Maybe this concept could be applied to these larger missions as well, encompassing existing NPCs that are actually intended for other existing epic missions. For example maybe as a part of these JobCenter missions, it was randomly decided that you needed to deliver something to Thompson in Garriot's in P-2, or Hontoka in Industrial-A, or maybe for the later ones, Matt Tronstett or Susan in Point Red.. something like that. (of course it shouldn't include ALL npcs that are way out in random wasteland sectors)

The point being to re-use existing NPCs to make the world seem maybe a bit more alive.. like, if I ever meet an NPC (like Hontoka in Industrial-A) and he says the generic "go away" message, I already know for a fact that he will only ever speak to me during his epic mission. Having to deliver (or receive) something generic from him during a newbie JobCenter quest, and then visiting him again later during an epic, might be kind of cool for a new player.

I'm not sure if that last thing is possible, but either way I'd like to see the JobCenter be the source of nice (and rewarding) missions, too.

Izeo yes that final part is what I was intending. We used to have a TG runner in OZ called Jade who you had to go to for the TG Raygun quest (before we had those grenades we have now).

I want this idea to be as simple basic and easy as implement as possible. Sending runners to random generic NPCs (rather than to faction HQs) means you can get away with not having to code faction specific missions. Hopefully this is less work for the DEVs and stands more chance of being implemented.

We used to have loads of npcs in plaza 1 even a long time ago (in nc1 i remember distinctly having more pop up during the story line) so I would like some of them to come back as well.

We also need some information type guys telling runners about things like constructing and repairing and of course the LE. I would go so far as to use a generic statement advising runners not to take the LE out of their first char at all until cap. This way they get to learn some more about the game and it sounds more believable coming from an official than some runner who "just wants more people to gank" as has been thrown around here in the last few days.

I honestly do not know if these guys are already in MC5 (I do not go there on a noob char - I started before it was implemented) but I think even if they are to duplicate them here would be a sound decision just to maximise their exposure to the noobs to ensure that they DO stick around in NC.

Please note I do not want to detract from the Citycom missions that are already in game. I am just thinking of putting together some OTHER stuff for noobs to do to get them involved in the game a little more.

The reason why I picked going from 0/2 to sort of /20 would mean that by this point the final guy on these missions might want to lead the Runner onto starting their Epic Quest as well.

Essentially by this you're mapping out a rough guideline for progression through the game for each runner whilst maintaining the freedom of openworld combat and exploration that made NC so great in the first place.

In the longer term I would like to possibly expand on this by having another set of missions for level 30-40 runners that sent them off to various caves and Outposts to fetch items or speak to people. However I think that that is all for another thread and another day.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    I honestly do not know if these guys are already in MC5 (I do not go there on a noob char - I started before it was implemented) but I think even if they are to duplicate them here would be a sound decision just to maximise their exposure to the noobs to ensure that they DO stick around in NC.
    The only guys that teach you about game mechanics in MC5 are the Tank/PE/Spy/Monk class trainers in the second room. I guess there are eight in total, four being clones on the balcony outside.

Although, one NPC tells you a tiny bit about PvE (he suggests trying to corner the harder robots and killing them with your knife) but I think that's all. One NPC offers a mini-mission for finding 3 identical implant parts, one NPC offers a mini-mission for finding 4 prototype chips which drop from robots, and one guy outside asks for 3 identical vehicle parts which is currently not possible as they don't spawn in boxes or drop from mechshells etc.

The reason why I picked going from 0/2 to sort of /20 would mean that by this point the final guy on these missions might want to lead the Runner onto starting their Epic Quest as well.

Essentially by this you're mapping out a rough guideline for progression through the game for each runner whilst maintaining the freedom of openworld combat and exploration that made NC so great in the first place.
    Now that you say that, that's a really good point.

(Mr. Jones after completing his mission)
    - - good job here's your quad, btw you should check out the citycoms or the JobCenter
    (JobCenter guy after doing hard difficulty?)
    - - thanks here's your money, btw you should check our your faction epic mission npc

Well by the time you reach level 20 youre already qualified to complete the first 2 missions of your epic. Tbh once you have done two of them I think youre likely to want to continue but if you have these missions to do on the side it might help your character a little to "guide" them to levelling zones etc.

If anyone says this is a bit "wow"ish then yeah I would concur. It is a little bit like that but to be fair if an idea works then why not copy it. You could even give the noobs some form of mission to go to the MB bunker/TG canyon next (dependent on faction).

I would also like to see some sort of copy of the MB Bunker at the canyon, only substitute the cyclopses for Large and Small Reaper Spiders and a few butchees etc.

You could add some story line about mutants living there too or get those low level chaos minion style mobs in there for the lower level chars.

I think this would be good for levelling TG/Crahn/FA/BD noobs. I know a lot of people go to MB in all factions and levels and I realise that the TG and CM etc factions are for advanced players but seriously if a noob wants to play as TG then I think we should let him/her.

The more places mid-level players get to level the more chance they will stay to high end games. If you take them by the hand the first time they experience NC they are more likely to stay for a second char levelling and so on. Well that's the theory.

On another side note completely:

What do you think about having Cave Missions? Like an NPC gives you a mission to go to a particular swamp cave/chaos cave (subject to PVE being more balanced) to get something?

I realy like the idea of a Job Center and i like Williams ideas
    But we should get a bit away from the "official" Missions from Term or Job Center.
    NC needs more shady mission giver, npcs in bars and such, more Mr. Jones

murdog

Like the guy in the Tiki Tornado you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Like the guy in the Tiki Tornado you mean?
    Yes, or the little run in the Vibes Club.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12