Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chat and combat log

It has already been stated that people would like to see a change with chat options and allow us to use /global /local to change chat but my suggestion is that we have tabs which will have been seen in other games to seperate channels and one specific channel would be great to see would be a combat log that actively updates us on what damage was caused, by what/who, what type of damage (fire, xray, energy, force) and what amount of damage.

you can read out the logfiles for dmg report
    Wusch... der leise Wind des Schicksals

Quote Originally Posted by ratakresch View Post
    you can read out the logfiles for dmg report
    I'm talking about an ingame visual log right there to see as you engage in combat.

were is the fun??? then we would rage like in WOW.... "oh my got he did 104040k dmg on m2" "i did dmg like 50430k" ... bla

not a good idea in my opinion

were is the fun??? then we would rage like in WOW.... "oh my got he did 104040k dmg on m2" "i did dmg like 50430k" ... bla

not a good idea in my opinion
    I know that everyone seems to enjoy comparing ideal features with World of Warcraft but from your logic we should also remove seeing other peoples damage on enemies because you can compare damage that was easily too.

Ontop of the logic you defined, I never said see other players damage.

This is proposed so that players can identify how their resists work against what mobs and how their weapons work against what mobs.

and i repeat myself. let's rework the dmg log files.

and i repeat myself. let's rework the dmg log files.
    Rework is different from your previous, "you can read out the logfiles for dmg report".

Are the damagelogs created as a seperate file outside the game? Are they always active or do you need to do something like change a ini file?

aktivate it

Yes, lets eschew the convenience of a simple UI element being added in order to mess about with log files like it's the previous century.

Great idea, nothing like having a conversation while killing multiple mobs and all your chat is flooded with notification of money earned from your kills

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Great idea, nothing like having a conversation while killing multiple mobs and all your chat is flooded with notification of money earned from your kills
    It's why I suggested adding a seperate tab with the purpose as a combat log, did you even read the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by IanKett View Post
    It's why I suggested adding a seperate tab with the purpose as a combat log, did you even read the original post?
    I did yes, I was agreeing with your post whole heartidly..?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I did yes, I was agreeing with your post whole heartidly..?
    That's my fault, I guess I'm conditioned to bad posts that I expect people to argue stuff. Thank you for agreeing, It would be nice to put some ideal feature forwards for the game but people seem to NEED neocron to remain unique including the ancient systems.

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

I think a combat log would be far, far too busy to be of any use in Neocron. Imagine how fast it would scroll by when a couple of spiderbots were shooting you for example, even worse if you had a gat of your own, or you were AoEing say, a spider pit.
    I'd also worry that it (even further) busts the illusion that Neocron is an FPS game. It isn't really of course, but the veil that makes out that it is does add something to the experience.
    That said, no major objection (or especially strong support) for being able to split off the information part of chat from the remainder of the game.

As for existing damage logs:
    add the line "ENABLELOGS = TRUE" to neocron.ini
    They're rather complicated, but quite complete. You can use a bunch of tools to help interpret them as they are generated, including a Neocron-specific tool known as cronalyser

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I think a combat log would be far, far too busy to be of any use in Neocron.
    This is nothing some intelligent design couldn't render a non-issue. Wow is far 'busier' and the combat log is still of use in that.

There is a potential issue that this does enable though. It'd be quite an advantage in some situations to be able to stealth and switch armor types to mitigate whatever incoming damage your current opponent is dealing. Obviously the attacker could counter by switching ammo / weapon, if that option was available to them, but I'd be interested to know if this sort of gameplay is something the devs would want to encourage...
    Last edited by borl; 23-11-12 at 15:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast