Highest Ranked Psi-Monk Ever Forget My Name's Avatar

Default Gliders and FLyers.... Space Bar Landing?

Long story short... I hate landing gliders. They nearly always crash. Once, my camera zoomed around and near the ground I took a nose dive.

One time I pressed space bar by mistake, fell out of the sky, and I didn't die. I should have, but didn't. My glider then fell straight down near me and didn't blow up.

Is Space Bar Landing the best way to land a glider? Is it a bug? Should I be doing Space bar landing? Is this just what everyone does to land anyway? Was my incident a fluke, and space bar landing can kill you and/or blow up my glider?

Also, taking off.... Is there a quick way of doing it, or do I have to drive forward until I lift off?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Majestic_12 / Cold Steel Mercs / Phoenix LTD / P.I.M.P / Immune

my techs for trade

Space Bar landings..., no no, far too risky, if the vehicle hits a tree, shrub, wall, hill, anything hard enough it will explode. Landing is best done by either pulling up to reduce speed and hovering (gliding) down to a low speed landing, or using the reverse key to drop forward speed and letting the vehicle drift down with minimal forward speed. As long as forward speed is at zero or close to it no damage will be done to the glider. For taking off you need a piece of terrain to "lift" the glider off the ground, a bump in the earth, the side of a hill, or a sudden drop off will all work to get you airborne.

Highest Ranked Psi-Monk Ever Forget My Name's Avatar

Oh.... I didn't even know Gliders had speeds... I need to check my RPOS for it...

I also didn't know about needing something to bump up into the air... That explains why I'll drive for long stretches and nothing would happen lol.

Thank you very much
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Majestic_12 / Cold Steel Mercs / Phoenix LTD / P.I.M.P / Immune

my techs for trade

could be my imagination, but I always felt gliders climbed better when pressing both mouse buttons together.

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

There is indeed a bug, which means if you fall from high enough, you don't take fall damage on landing.

This leads to the possibility of doing "Galaxy drops" from the DoY hovercarrier, which is quite fun.
    It isn't a good idea with a glider however, as A: the glider may well hit something and boom and B: the glider may carry on. It's been known for gliders to traverse 4 or 5 zones without a pilot before. The trick with landing is just to come in really slow and gentle.

Gliders are overly fragile and difficult to learn - but once you have the hang of them, they are spectacularly manoeuvrable:
    http://games.linxsoft.co.uk/index.ph...-glider-stunts

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    The trick with landing is just to come in really slow and gentle.

Gliders are overly fragile and difficult to learn - but once you have the hang of them, they are spectacularly manoeuvrable:
    http://games.linxsoft.co.uk/index.ph...-glider-stunts
    Sums it up perfectly

Just treat it like a Airliner landing

-= Fallen Angels - Titan =-
    | Smiler - Researcher | Mr Sandman - Constructor/Recycler | Lemmiwinks - Hacknet |
    | Haxxor - Droner | Zmiler - HC Tank |

I don't really understand how people have problems with flying gliders, sure its a bit tricky at first, but once you get used to it, it is pretty simple (except for the annoying takeoff and random falling damage when zoning )

I honestly never exploded it while landing. Even in dogfights and air-ground fights.
    Falk Keegan (jump!)

» A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. «
    - The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by slith View Post
    I don't really understand how people have problems with flying gliders, sure its a bit tricky at first, but once you get used to it, it is pretty simple (except for the annoying takeoff and random falling damage when zoning )

I honestly never exploded it while landing. Even in dogfights and air-ground fights.
    Same here actually.
    And dogfights with gliders is probably one of the most fun Things to do in this game, IMO
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance