Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Default Altering mobs for Fun and (preventing) Profit

So, we all know that there are some, issues with the way mobs target and damage players (and drones and other mobs even for that matter)

It's also been observed that to a large extent Neocron PvE is simply a question of who falls over first (which for high level encounters, means players do brief bursts of damage between hiding to heal, or staying continuously out of range)

SO, my suggestion: Make almost all ranged mobs do a few things: F
    1. Fire projectiles in the direction of the player, rather than using direct-fire the way players do.
    2. Said projectiles do some amount of AoE on collision - in most cases, this AoE can be pretty small, 10-20cm.
    3. Fire at players even when there is an obstacle appearing to block the LoF (preferably with some limits, so they try to shoot people hiding behind barrels, but not those several rooms away)

The hope for this idea is twofold - one, it stops some of the, err, abusive tactics currently employed by players. Two, it makes PvE more interesting as position matters - using crates for cover would actually reduce damage taken from less accurate mobs; moving would help vs slower firing mobs; all of a team clustering in a spot would no longer be sensible - instead, team positioning would require some thought.

/signed
    --|current characters: ray leftfield | ash lipvig |--
    raindrops on roses | happy disney animals | this makes my parts hurt

Good idea. But might take a while to be coded, so give the regants mobs the same attack type as chaos mobs have in the meantime pls.

10-20cm ingame would be only a runners feet and i don't think a mob with a spray and pray weapon would be helpful, the problem with aoe in close combat is the mobs are going to kill themselves which could be exploited also. Maybe the mobs should simply think and if they can't hurt the enemy then they should simply retreat and give them a heal more powerful as single person could do damage.
    Alles wird gut!

irgendwann?

hoffentlich...

seems like this could be abused to kill LE'd vs non LE'd runners very very easily... also I dont think npc's can hurt one another or themselves

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    10-20cm ingame would be only a runners feet
    Would be enough to counter the standard safespot technique. Can't explain more here, of

and i don't think a mob with a spray and pray weapon would be helpful,
    Who said anything about spray-and-pray? There can still be plenty of variety in mob attacks - near enough as much as now even, allowing for technical limitations.
    the problem with aoe in close combat is the mobs are going to kill themselves which could be exploited also
    That's already taken care of. Damage dealt by mobs (or players who have left the zone) doesn't count towards rewards - that applies to cash and loot. If a mob is 90% killed by other mobs, then the player will only get 10% loot and cash.
    Maybe the mobs should simply think and if they can't hurt the enemy then they should simply retreat and give them a heal more powerful as single person could do damage.
    I can see that making trying to do things like MC5 awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    seems like this could be abused to kill LE'd vs non LE'd runners very very easily... also I dont think npc's can hurt one another or themselves
    Eh, you go AFK in levelling areas, you're own grave. And it's not like useless or deliberatly obstructive people don't exist in caves etc already, this doesn't seem to me like it would really give them any more tools against somebody who was actually paying attention.

oops srry