Question Transfer - To Be or Not to Be

Hello,

The moment is probably inappropriate to enter into this type of discussion but, after the latest events and a corrupted database, we can begin to ask questions about Neocron's future and the transfer.

I am at the heart of this question myself, being an old player, and I was very motivated by the launch of a new server and a new economy.

But I must admit that, after all the maintenance, migrations, and crashes, I had to abandon the idea of beginning to play again.

I still want to thank the Neocron support team, who were very reactive towards the different problems, and I'd like to point out their courage, as volunteer work is quite often thankless.

Therefore, I wonder whether it's possible (technically or not) to implement a system to transfer characters from Terra and Mars to Titan, so that players like me, who have lost several accounts and characters (WoC or not), may participate in this new adventure without starting with a definite handicap: motivation. In fact, I no longer have as much time to play as during the creation of the first Neocron server. I have an active lifestyle that doesn't allow me to spend entire hours/days on a character to get to the same level as my accounts that disappeared (Terra server). The ephemeral situation of Neocron also doesn't motivate people to invest hours training characters like before.

Would it be possible to offer, for example, a transfer that includes the following options?:

- All of the characters and equipment in the inventory and implants, with the money of the character at that moment.

- All of the characters without equipment or implants, with the "MC5 starting money".

- One, two, or three transfers of characters, without any equipment or implants in the inventory, and with no money.

This transfer could give old players who no longer have time the opportunity to take part in this adventure, without hindering the arrival of new players.

Several friends of mine are in the same situation as me, waiting for information about a possible transfer and not wanting to completely start with a new character again. The simple existence of a transfer could revive that passion, despite the loss of equipment and implants.

In summary, I hope this message won't be simply edited and closed.

We can confirm however, that no character transfer will be available at the launch of Titan [EU].
    Why ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sywyn; 04-10-12 at 04:08.

Highest Ranked Psi-Monk Ever Forget My Name's Avatar

terra was rife with hacks, dupes, and exploits. There will never be a transfer from terra to titan.

Neocron runs pretty smoothly as of earlier today.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Majestic_12 / Cold Steel Mercs / Phoenix LTD / P.I.M.P / Immune

my techs for trade

The moment is probably inappropriate to enter into this type of discussion but, after the latest events and a corrupted database, we can begin to ask questions about Neocron's future and the transfer.
    All that we do is about the future of Neocron and ensure it gets back on track for a strong increase in stability and the return of active developement.
    It has been just hours since we resolved the latest emergency. While I believe there should always be room to ask questions about Neocrons future in gerneral or on specific topics such as the proposed character transfer or balancing, I hope you can understand that we still have some major issues to resolve. We said that we would address the topic of transfers and we will - but not right now.

I am at the heart of this question myself, being an old player, and I was very motivated by the launch of a new server and a new economy.
    But I must admit that, after all the maintenance, migrations, and crashes, I had to abandon the idea of beginning to play again.
    I am sorry to hear that.
    When I returned to the volunteers from retirement a few months ago I expected things to be difficult, but from the inside, things looked even worse - I found we had virtually nothing left that was not either completely fubared or on its way out (apart from a bunch of really dedicated and truly awesome people).
    There was no access to any vital pieces of the infrastructure while the very infrastructure (outgame support, forums, website, launcher, basic account management) or what was left at that point was going down fast in the face of Reakktor Media GmbH shutting down business. Over the past weeks and months we have fought hard to keep NC not only afloat in the condition it was at the beginning of the year, but turned around. Be assured, we too would have prefered not having to deal with some of the difficulties that came up along the way. We are still far from being able to offer a AAA game service and it sure takes a little confidence in the game, the current volunteer staff and most importantly a love for neocron, to enjoy the game despite these limitations.

I still want to thank the Neocron support team, who were very reactive towards the different problems, and I'd like to point out their courage, as volunteer work is quite often thankless.
    Well, thank you. We too are fond of our community and their strong support for our old lady and our efforts to get the game up to speed again.

Therefore, I wonder whether it's possible (technically or not) to implement a system to transfer characters from Terra and Mars to Titan,
    It is technically possible to develop a system to transfer characters between servers, however no such system exists.
    It will cost additional development time to implement such a system. The current stance on this is that we will re-address this issue when we see time fit.

so that players like me, who have lost several accounts and characters (WoC or not), may participate in this new adventure without starting with a definite handicap: motivation.
    In fact, I no longer have as much time to play as during the creation of the first Neocron server. I have an active lifestyle that doesn't allow me to spend entire hours/days on a character to get to the same level as my accounts that disappeared (Terra server). The ephemeral situation of Neocron also doesn't motivate people to invest hours training characters like before.
    The future of Neocron largely depends on the greater support by and from the people that play the game.
    So long you view it as "ephemeral", any investment is pointless. We obviously disagree with that assesment and personally, I will continue to focus my efforts on catering for the community that shares our trust in the game.
    That said, I understand that there may also be a significant amount of casual players (or players otherwise without much time at hand) who are primarily interested in endgame PvP and are held off by having to raise 0/2 chars again.

Would it be possible to offer, for example, a transfer that includes the following options?:

- All of the characters and equipment in the inventory and implants, with the money of the character at that moment.

- All of the characters without equipment or implants, with the MC5 starting money.

- One, two, or three transfers of characters, without any equipment or implants in the inventory, and with no money.

This transfer could give old players who no longer have time the opportunity to take part in this adventure, without hindering the arrival of new players.

Several friends of mine are in the same situation as me, waiting for information about a possible transfer and not wanting to completely start with a new character again. The simple existence of a transfer could revive that passion, despite the loss of equipment and implants.
    As pointed out before, we will re-address the topic at a later point. Until then Mars and Terra are still on the grid.
    I will not go into the specific scenarios you have outlined for no such decision has been made.
    The only thing we have pretty much ruled out, is a full transfer including all items and money - this will not happen ever, sorry.

We can confirm however, that no character transfer will be available at the launch of Titan [EU].
    Why ?
    Our original idea for TITAN was a launch together with the release of patch #175. It did not get to this and we were forced to shift all efforts from work on the patch to DDoS mitigation and migrating each and every system of our infrastructure to new locations in Germany (minus Terra and Mars which remain hosted on Kirks behalf). To be frank here, the Canadian host was a catastrophy as we had no full access to the system and no SLA available to deal with the problems, but that is a different story. In short: we had to bring new hardware to the table and we chose to invest that hardware and the significant amount of work required to get it on the grid in the most future proof setup, which is the fresh Titan server. The overall feedback and population stats for the server show us, that this decision was probably the right one for Neocron at this point in time.

Again, it has been just hours since the last major stability was resolved and while we would very much like to get back to work on #175 and also backend tools (e.g. allowing us to transfer character data), our roadmap was dictated by events outside of our control for the past weeks.

In summary, I hope this message won't be simply edited and closed.
    I do hope some of your questions were answered.
    Last edited by Mokoi; 04-10-12 at 05:11.

God DAMMIT!
    Fucking DDOS.

If it weren't for the DDOS, we would have had a lot less exploits on Titan, and there might not already be woc spies ruining the game for everyone forever.

hahahahawhat?

I think for better game balance and more fun for the old player with many chars we have to place some Money, Woc and EXP npc. Than all Problems should be solved.....
    Meine Sig macht Urlaub
    Hier gibt es nichts weiter zu sehen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sywyn View Post
    I am ... an old player, and I was very motivated by the launch of a new server and a new economy.
    So am i. I'm happy we got a fresh, "empty" server with everyone enjoying the PvE and trade parts of Neocron. PvP may add to that later. My vote is: "No char transfers. Never." May my former main chars rest in hibernation.

No char transfers pleasr. All the people whining about it taking so much time to level need to learn how to
    Poke me baby, one more time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoi View Post
    ... Rational and calm explanations and reasoning...
    That was the best post ever that I read on these subjects and a very good summary on everything that has happened over the last weeks.

On my own behalf I want to add that I cannot ever thank you guys enough for bringing the best game of this planet back to life. There is still nothing like NC on the market, it has not been over the last ten years, and it still does not look like there will be for the next few years. It's a gem that only shines for those who see it.

I do not care about the difficulties some people complain about as long as you keep going forward.

You guys rock.

Volunteer Team < 3

TANGENT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Xeno LARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Eres View Post
    That was the best post ever that I read on these subjects and a very good summary on everything that has happened over the last weeks.

On my own behalf I want to add that I cannot ever thank you guys enough for bringing the best game of this planet back to life. There is still nothing like NC on the market, it has not been over the last ten years, and it still does not look like there will be for the next few years. It's a gem that only shines for those who see it.

I do not care about the difficulties some people complain about as long as you keep going forward.

You guys rock.

Volunteer Team < 3
    Amen to that. Thank you V-TEAM! WHOOO

Final Boss of the Internet Kanedax's Avatar

I still think a char transfer later on without items or cash would be fine. It would just boost the pop and do nothing to effect the economy negatively.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Kanedax View Post
    I still think a char transfer later on without items or cash would be fine. It would just boost the pop and do nothing to effect the economy negatively.
    Yeah, a character transfer with a limited amount of items wouldnt hurt anything at all. As long as they wait a bit (which they obviously will) to make it possible.
    I really dont get why people are so much against it
    Is more people to fight really such a bad thing? I know several people who Arent gonna be playing unless Theres gonna be character transfers..
    More meat to kill = good tbh..

And myself probably wont be playing "seriously" before a character transfer.. I have however made a to-be-very-gimp-PE on Titan now.. But thats not really something that I will be joining OP fights with.. lol
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Totally agree here, I don't see the harm in a very limited char transfer, be it even 1 char per account and no items or cash.

Quote Originally Posted by flib View Post
    If it weren't for the DDOS, we would have had a lot less exploits on Titan, and there might not already be woc spies ruining the game for everyone forever.
    Not sure if serious or just trolling like a boss?
    Poke me baby, one more time!

I am firmly against any kind of character transfer to Titan. The whole reason for the success of titan is the fact that everyone is equal, experiencing the game again as a whole from the beginning.

There are no duped items, no GM spawned items, no babe suits or woc3 pa's. Everything gained on Titan is earned, transferring chars would ruin that atmosphere and dynamic. I understand that some people dont want to go through the whole process of leveling a charater againand thats fine.

The point of the server isn't simply to continue on from where you left off on terra, it's to start over clean and fresh free from all the crap of terra. I dont see how having a capped char on one server justifies having an instantly capped char on a new server. Why would it be ok to skip the whole leveling part of the game? Simply because people have leveled before on a previous server? Simply because some people dont have the time or motivation to cap super fast and easily?

I get that some people want to experience end game NC again but i honestly think any char transfer will screw titan up. It will introduce duped and GM spawned items into a clean economy. It will also segregate and infuriate the existing Titan population.

Titan should stay the way it is: Freah and clean - New server, new characters.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast