Default Bored during downtime? Wiki-jam project!

With Neocron now back online and running with server pops unheard of for years, I'm actually starting to see new players, brand new, not returning Neocron-1 players, but totally new players, for the first time in, well, ever.

Problem is, Neocron is very user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends...

First place people with newb questions get directed is usually the wiki over at Techhaven. Problem is, it's... well lets be honest it's not that good. It doesn't have many guides, a lot of info is out of date and it has missing articles on important things, and important articles (like, oh, warbot, or Rare Part) are mini-stubs.

I say we fix that while we can't play anyway!

See you over at the wiki.

Bit harsh on TH it just needs a bit of help expanding it's wiki

Also too much info can be a bad thing too.

-= Fallen Angels - Titan =-
    | Smiler - Researcher | Mr Sandman - Constructor/Recycler | Lemmiwinks - Hacknet |
    | Haxxor - Droner | Zmiler - HC Tank |

at your house, thinking of fun ways to kill you.

I'll echo that sentiment.

There are alot of broken links and and is quite confusing to navigate... especially when you don't know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post

There are alot of broken links and and is quite confusing to navigate... especially when you don't know what to look for.
    This.

Please please please let us know about anything that's broken and we'll try and fix it. The THN has been kicking around for a long long time, that sadly means it's not had a huge amount of TLC in the last couple of years just like the game.

That said I know both nEo and Delphi are working hard to fix up the broken stuff and get things flowing again, with Brammers doing a lot of work behind the scenes. However everyone is free to create a wiki account and add/edit articles where required to improve the information for new and old runners alike.

I should add I'm not being down on the wiki at all. The items database is amazing and it's had a lot of loving work put into it.

It just wasn't built with newbie guides and whatnot because Neocron didn't HAVE newbies then.

I just thought it might be nice to channel our love of the game to the wiki so it doesn't all fall on Brammers' shoulders and his team.

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Well, NC did have newbies back when the THN stuff got going. But NC also had a bunch of other resource sites at the time. Also, the THN did have more guides, but several have been buried away due to being out of date and mislead (unlike a lot if ingame info).

But yes, it doesn't explain a lot of stuff for a newcomer - if anybody wants to, then start adding!

I've expanded the page on Sewers to include more information, and I've added to the Tech Parts page indicating where they can be found.

I've also created pages for each of the damage types (working on X-ray right now) explaining what they are, where resists come from, and the importance/uses of the damage type (IE all low-tech guns do primarily piercing except flamers, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by dWintermut3 View Post
    I've also created pages for each of the damage types (working on X-ray right now) explaining what they are, where resists come from, and the importance/uses of the damage type (IE all low-tech guns do primarily piercing except flamers, etc)
    more information on this would be awesome! always sucked at making a good con set up so learning more about it all should help!

First place people with newb questions get directed is usually the wiki over at Techhaven. Problem is, it's... well lets be honest it's not that good. It doesn't have many guides, a lot of info is out of date and it has missing articles on important things, and important articles (like, oh, warbot, or Rare Part) are mini-stubs.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to Neocron.

The one thing that is great about any wiki you can add whatever content you like. Just create an account, create an article and edit it until you feel it's right. We will offer any help and tips to making the article look good.

There are lot's of mini-stubs as you say. It's content we want, and are after. Anyway as you have offered to help and I see you are helping, I'm looking forward to (Along with the rest of the THN team) to seeing more your articles.

The broken links - most of them point to articles we need content for so, please create content for them.

Can you give us examples on things you went looking for, but could not find?

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Well, NC did have newbies back when the THN stuff got going. But NC also had a bunch of other resource sites at the time. Also, the THN did have more guides, but several have been buried away due to being out of date and mislead (unlike a lot if ingame info).

But yes, it doesn't explain a lot of stuff for a newcomer - if anybody wants to, then start adding!
    As Cmaster correctly says we do have some articles on the THN that are out of date. Any article that is on the main THN website at http://www.techhaven.org/ can be copied and put into the wiki. There is a small list of articles http://wiki.techhaven.org/Neocron_Wiki:To-do that need moving.

I am glad everyone still cares about the THN, and as Tratos says, it's not had so much TLC over the last few years. Now that the game and community is alive and kicking again, we will do our best to get things upto scratch again.

Keep it up everyone!

Brammers - THN Lead Admin

TechHaven Network *************** nEo-1664's Avatar

With Neocron now back online and running with server pops unheard of for years, I'm actually starting to see new players, brand new, not returning Neocron-1 players, but totally new players, for the first time in, well, ever.

Problem is, Neocron is very user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends...

I should add I'm not being down on the wiki at all. The items database is amazing and it's had a lot of loving work put into it.

It just wasn't built with newbie guides and whatnot because Neocron didn't HAVE newbies then.

I just thought it might be nice to channel our love of the game to the wiki so it doesn't all fall on Brammers' shoulders and his team.

Like Tratos mentioned above. The THN hasn't had a lot of attention aimed at it, and at one point there was the conversation of dropping it due to the lack of interest in the game.

However, I am pleased to say that due to the increased interest of Neocron, we at the THN are working to update the site(well needed) and give as much of an over-haul as we can. Due to the sheer quantity of data in the THN this process unfortunately is not something that can be done overnight.

Between myself, Delphi, and Brammers we are looking at ways to improve the THN, which will include porting the things like the ItemDB into the Wiki to make it more available to users, as well as making it easier to update. Like CMaster also said above, there were many more resource sites available 'back in the day' whereas now they are few and far between.

While we are doing our best to get new information and/or update old information we need community help to make it work. There is only so much 3 people can do, whereas a whole community can pile in a lot more information that can simply be checked, and verified then added.

I would love to see more submissions being made into the Wiki, and if there are problems with the ItemDB currently, or any of the guides, let us know! If they are guides on the Wiki or the main THN site, open a thread on our forums and tell us. The sooner you tell us what needs changing or what needs looking at, we can jump on it to improve it for you.

You can get hold of us either via our Forums, PM's on our forums, tweet us at @TechHaven

[EDIT -- Beaten by Brammers! Dammit! ]
    The future is unknown until the present reveals it.
    [ Tech Haven Network ][ Item DB ][ Rares DB ][ NC-Wiki ][ NC2.2 Download ][ Fansites & Resources ]
    [00:07:39] [+Danae] the other guys are the tech wizards, i just find things :P i'm like google with boobs!

THN has been helpful the past few days! It would be great to see more of the community working to update all the out of date content!

THN was always helpful!!!

TechHaven Network *************** nEo-1664's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascention View Post
    THN has been helpful the past few days! It would be great to see more of the community working to update all the out of date content!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
    THN was always helpful!!!
    On behalf of the THN, thank you!

I know times have changed somewhat, and nowadays not everyone can spend as much time ingame as they might like, but there are some things in the pipeline to update the THN as I mentioned, it is just trying to find time between the admins to complete some of it
    The future is unknown until the present reveals it.
    [ Tech Haven Network ][ Item DB ][ Rares DB ][ NC-Wiki ][ NC2.2 Download ][ Fansites & Resources ]
    [00:07:39] [+Danae] the other guys are the tech wizards, i just find things :P i'm like google with boobs!

viewing the THN is a must!!!

as a returning player that has forgotten everything it is an invaluable tool, the item DB has saved me so much time looking at what guns i can get rather than having to run around the shops looking through menu's to find out im not high enough level to get a new gun!

and when its time to do the epic's, there is only one place i will be looking for assistance

so thank you all the the THN team for all your hard work its very much appreciated by me and im sure the rest of the community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast