Hand me a gun and ask me again zii's Avatar

Question TITAN and TERRA - fragmentation

I'm certain this has been asked before, but *why* are we fragmenting an already small community into two distinct servers?
    Bizarre.

at your house, thinking of fun ways to kill you.

lag.

Titan is based in Germany.
    Terra is based in Canada.

-= Fallen Angels - Titan =-
    | Smiler - Researcher | Mr Sandman - Constructor/Recycler | Lemmiwinks - Hacknet |
    | Haxxor - Droner | Zmiler - HC Tank |

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post
    lag.
    2.) DDOS
    3.) Ping
    4.) Economy
    5.) New Players

Hand me a gun and ask me again zii's Avatar

2.) DDOS
    All IP addresses can be DDOSed.
    3.) Ping
    Would be nice to move Terra to Germany.
    4.) Economy
    The game play is the same so the economy will be the same after 6 months. No change.
    5.) New Players
    What do you base this on?

at your house, thinking of fun ways to kill you.

there's always one!

The REAL Walker

I could come with a pretty competent reasoning.. I do not want to speak badly of the hardworking volunteers however, since I do have a lot of respect for them.
    But as your last reply, Zii "imply" there really isnt a GOOD reason for it.

terra cant be moved as it is kirks own server. and theres some legal stuff going on.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nose View Post
    terra cant be moved as it is kirks own server. and theres some legal stuff going on.
    That we do know. However, the database itself can be moved (or else they wouldnt be discussing character transfers, internely).

I think the new server is breathing a "bit of life" into a game some thought had already died!
    > Caster : relax we are not here fir pvp
    >You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with Tangent Technologies. > You lost a little soullight.
    > we are
    > You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with CityAdmin. > You lost a little soullight.
    > think yaself lucky boy

Terra is staying put in Canada for the foreseeable future. I can barely play on Terra right now due to extreme lag from the UK.

Even the mention of Titan, and the prospect of rebuilding a new economy has brought players back left and right.

There are many, many reasons as to why this is a great move by the volunteer support team.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    I think the new server is breathing a "bit of life" into a game some thought had already died!
    By forcing PVP'ers to PVE Again..? Thats like the worst reasoning ever Aim..
    (on a sidenote to you, Aim: My Steam doesnt currently Work, thats why I havent been online there for ages )

Phoenix Ltd- Chief of Security james_finn's Avatar

I think a fresh start on a new server is really just what the doctor ordered, especially with the influx of new runners! Shame there couldn't have been a major balancing patch first to make it fresh to everyone putting all people back on a level peg, but beggars cannot be choosers!

I wonder who will be the first to have a rare weapon, and the first clan to have an OP, and the first to kill regant, and the first to get an MC5 chip....!

Quote Originally Posted by zii View Post
    2.) DDOS
    All IP addresses can be DDOSed.
    3.) Ping
    Would be nice to move Terra to Germany.
    4.) Economy
    The game play is the same so the economy will be the same after 6 months. No change.
    5.) New Players
    What do you base this on?
    First of all, we all want the same thing as a community, and that is to achieve the best future for Neocron.

So let's not define us over our differences, but thru our similarities.

2.) Yes, they can be attackd ofc. However, our great volunteer team has build counter measures now. I assume these are connected to the new data center and the new servers.

3.) Yes, it would be nice to move them, but it is not possible. The reason is that those servers belong to Kirk. He is paying them, which is very nice. However, at least for us in Europe, the data center in Canada is sub-optimal because of the bad ping, the horrifying lags, and its vulnerability to DDOS. Because of the DDOS attacks and their implications Terra was offline most of the time for almost ten days now and nobody could play.

4.) In the new statement for the release of Titan it says:
    "We have heard about concerns regarding the "fresh economy" of TITAN being endangered by existing dupe and money exploits.
    While we still need to ship #175 to fix some of these issues properly, a good bunch have already been addressed serverside to either prevent or monitor abuse. Please be advised that we will not show much patience here. Anyone found deliberately exploiting will be banned. Period."

People should be very careful imo.

FYI the DDOS attacks began after Zoltan banhammered ca. 60 accs to cheater hell in a concerted action because of exploiting & duping. The same day some lonely 14 year old with acne who never had a girl made it his mission to destroy Neocron with DDOS attacks after announcing it in IRC even. The good thing is, if that guy continues to be a criminal some day he will get caught for another cyber crime and I hope he'll rot in jail then.

5.) Experience. When the new acc creation went live a few weeks ago pops jumped from a meager 3-4% to 13% and more. I expect this to continue. But it cannot if the current server has a bad ping for ppl from Europe, lags like hell, and gets ddosed every day for 12 hours by banned cheaters which fukks it up beyond recognition (which is its current state after the last DDOS attack anyway).

That's why I think that Titan is the right step.

Terra and Mars will stay so ppl can always log in to their beloved chars and appas. Nobody's forced to change.

Those who wanna have their reasons. And hopes, I assume.

Furthermore in my opinion the ressources of the volunteer team should go into developing the patch(es), bugfixing, and balancing the game, instead of building & programming the char transfer.
    Last edited by Ivan Eres; 20-09-12 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    By forcing PVP'ers to PVE Again..? Thats like the worst reasoning ever Aim..
    (on a sidenote to you, Aim: My Steam doesnt currently Work, thats why I havent been online there for ages )
    Considering the stagnation of NC in recent years I don't think "breathing a bit of life" into the game is bad reasoning at all. It's got to the point of desperation in my eyes, and this has done the trick (for now at least) to get some more players, which is EXACTLY what NC needs right now! It has become borderline incest in the last few years ...

As for pvp'ers playing pve, it's an fps rpg mmo. If you only want fps play COD. I know you love this game too much, and I wish I could side with you, but you signed up for leveling when you started playing a game like this. After ten+ years I'm surprised we haven't had to start over more times (considering the work this game really needs to keep it playable with a big pop and taking into account modern competition - PS2 etc.).

I do hope for your (and a little of my) sake they allow char transfers at some point ... will be boring as fuck with out ya :P
    Last edited by ancient; 20-09-12 at 03:57.
    > Caster : relax we are not here fir pvp
    >You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with Tangent Technologies. > You lost a little soullight.
    > we are
    > You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with CityAdmin. > You lost a little soullight.
    > think yaself lucky boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast