If you make faction items ALL faction only then you would have to make the items better for that faction and also make a heck of a lot of work to improve the weapons/items significantly or there would be a lot of empty factions.

For example - this idea came up years ago (when the Gaia Gauntlet was first introduced to NC) and someone said make it so that only Crahn Monks can use it. The reply was a resounding no. You would confer a massive advantage on that one faction to have Monks. Tanks would have a choice to go to PP, BT or possibly TT (for the cannon) and no other really good factions, tradeskillers would all lean towards FA and the spies would all end up as CA (if their armour was worth using). Rifle PE's would end up TS (provided again the weapons worked). No I don't like this.

The problem is you cant create some diversity by ADDING restrictions. That is simply not possible.

What would be good is faction specific weapons - within a specific class or classes but based on guns that ALREADY exist in NC but perhaps with a different colour laser beam or something else similar. We would want AT BEST aesthetic changes - IE many years ago someone else came up with the idea of adding some more stuff to factions like uniforms! You would have to complete your epic to get your uniform and then possibly trade a PA (just like the WOC system for armour currently) and you get given a PA for your uniform with the same stats but it gives you a different skin.

This i would like but not the restriction you came up Bruder.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

I don't mind faction restrictions so long as there are equivalents for others.

CM could have a jeep/hummer of some kind, CA a special ops hovercarrier, FA some form of research glider, etc.
    Similarly you could have PAs that are functionally identical but have a different skin/model.
    Same can be done with weapons as well, a TL115 gat cannon for CM, drone for FA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    Yes, and that faction restriction should be removed.

What your really trying to say, is that you want to be the only one using a Reveler, since noone else (especially people who pvp's) is NEXT...
    Lol, do you think you can provoke me with such cheap allegations? I never played NEXT and never will. Everybody can use that vehicle anyway, because the 4x4-Chaincraft is identical. What I want is making destructible vehicles a competitive choice. The biggest problem is not the Reveller atm., it is the Quad. Undestructible vehicles reduce clearly the attractiveness of all the other vehicles. I thinks I don't have to proove that claim, because you can see the result ingame every day. Another negativ side-effect is, that there are only few incentives to battle against a vehicle to destroy it. But I always liked the atmosphere of danger the game used to had. Also more vehicles must be destroyed to create an effectiv money-sink!

And the assumption, that you cannot improve diversity with restrictions sounds logically, but isn't. Look at our real economies: We try to prevent monopolies to secure fair competition since Adam Smith wrote his theories in the 18th century. To be clear: I am clearly against adding a faction-only-status to all the other epics, because of the problems you mentioned. But in the special case of the Reveller I think it is doable, with only positive side-effects.
    Last edited by Bruder Malmsdoo; 19-09-12 at 22:09.

The REAL Walker

Hmm I was sure that I had seen you write somewhere, that you were NEXT yourself..
    And just to clear Things up, this would in NO WAY have any effect on myself, as not one of my characters can drive..
    However, the problem that I personally fear is that if they start putting faction restriction on one more Epic, why not on them all..?

THATS the reason why Im against this..
    I couldnt possibly care less about the Reveler itself.

Hmm I was sure that I had seen you write somewhere, that you were NEXT yourself..
    And just to clear Things up, this would in NO WAY have any effect on myself, as not one of my characters can drive..
    However, the problem that I personally fear is that if they start putting faction restriction on one more Epic, why not on them all..?
    Because that would be a bad idea concerning the overall balancing, setups and freedom (Antrim, and Brammers are right in that regard).

THATS the reason why Im against this..
    I couldnt possibly care less about the Reveler itself.
    Me too.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Bruder Malmsdoo View Post
    Because that would be a bad idea concerning the overall balancing, setups and freedom (Antrim, and Brammers are right in that regard).
    Obviously

But as I said, when they start putting it on one (more) item, they could just aswell put it on them all.
    KK worked in mysterious ways.. Hopefully the volunteers has some sense though

I would definately be more for removing the faction req from the NCPD armor, if they were to change those kinda settings though. Since that actually could have an effect on more important Things (PVP setups )

the Quad.
    Indeed. It's fast, cheap to repair, handles well, has low reqs and is indestructible.

If it was a genuine noob vehicle it would be slow, better than walking but not as fast as it is now.
    I don't mind indestructible vehicles, but the cost of bringing them back from the dead needs to be massively increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dribble Joy View Post
    I don't mind indestructible vehicles, but the cost of bringing them back from the dead needs to be massively increased.
    I second that! like in eve, we need to have the constant athmosphere of danger lurking around in the game. that's what makes it special. get ganked by others? part of the game. get tricked and robbed? part of the game. loose everything? well ...

so please as little security as possible. including no indestructible vehicles. or at least, they should cost a fortune to regain.

If there weren't indestructible vehicles, you'd see even less vehicles. The only way not to loose a vehicle in this game is to drive from warp garage to warp garage and despawn your vehicle. If your not in the most abanndoned sector or you not permanently stay at your vehicle, it will be destroyed. So if all vehicles are destructible everyone would walk.
    ‘Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.’

Quote Originally Posted by Grogor View Post
    If there weren't indestructible vehicles, you'd see even less vehicles. The only way not to loose a vehicle in this game is to drive from warp garage to warp garage and despawn your vehicle. If your not in the most abanndoned sector or you not permanently stay at your vehicle, it will be destroyed. So if all vehicles are destructible everyone would walk.
    I don't think so. I remember the times, when there was no Quad. The players used a lot of the other vehicles. The overall runspeed was slower (heyho clipping) and running through the wastes was a pain without a verhicle. The Reveller was much slower then eg. the Hovertech. You had to hide your vehicles, if you let them behind. And when they got destroyed: Ouch! Peoples bought a new one. Killing Vechicles....Joy. Evolution 2.2 killed not only the vhc-pve combat, but the overall vhc-balance.

Final Boss of the Internet Kanedax's Avatar

I miss rolling up on peoples vehicles and blowing them up.

[...]I remember the times, when there was no Quad.
    Nope. Started playing with Evo 2.2 on Mars with a average population of 0-1%. So no i don't remember. I'm sort of antagonist to all you ahhh the good 'ol times people.
    I have allmost all the vehicles on terra, even the quad and ther reveller, but when i have to decide between walk and possibly loosing my vehicle to someone, who can't resist the urge to destroy it, well, I walk.
    Cause I love my vehicles.
    I really do love them.
    And you don't let others destroy the things you love.
    ‘Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.’

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    I would like to throw out the idea to remove the driving profession altogether, as driving should be considered a secondary skill and should be treated as such.
    I would suggest that VHC should no longer be required, that vehicles instead be linked to your level. Early levels you can use quad, moving on to bikes, hovertecs then mid range 25-45 you gain use of combat vehicles. One near cap 50+ you get to use all flying and high end combat rhino etc.

If your taking a combat vehicle then the gunner will still require the combat skill necessary to shoot it, don't want to unbalance combat! Just allow people to make more use of them.
    /agree

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    Plus: Vehicles should be able to take more player dmg. A tank is a tank.
    [/QUOTE]

/agree

VHC must be removed. Every Character should be able to drive for example a Hovertec without taking penalties in their combat-skills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123