Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weird that the MS website isn't working for you - works fine for me. Maybe try googling "Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool"? It's unheard of for me to recommend an MS tool, so you know it's worth it

As far as the registry goes, most viruses (virii?) put an entry in "Run" or "Run Once" (sometimes both). Usually, all this does is restore the offending .exe when you think you've deleted it. I can't remember the exact path to these entries, but definitely worth a search in your registry editor.

Do you have any filenames associated with the trojan/virus/malware/whatever? You can often google those to find more specific details on removing a particular offender. A lot of security sites post individual tools specifically designed to remove particular problems, so a search might take you to something like that.

I still think he should do what I said... nuking it is the only way to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Dribble Joy
    Used Malwarebytes and got rid of it, or at least stopped it actually doing the thing it was doing.

Now though I see a new program in the startup list. I uncheck it - reboot and though it's still unchecked, there's a new one too.
    Managed to find it in the registry through regedit and deleted the entry.

Oh, the MS website seems to be not working for me...
    Sounds fishy. I recommend doing what I already recommended doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12