Thread: Future of NC?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus
    Stop saying that. Reminds me of my wife ... honestly
    Aww not getting any sexing from the wifey?

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec
    instead of patching the server, it would be logical to have a beta server for that, right?
    Ehm.. This is KK we are speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil
    Aww not getting any sexing from the wifey?
    Yeh - She promised me a big patch!

@ Setlec
    Testserver? Thats like safersex - No risk no fun

Hand me a gun and ask me again zii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec
    Zii, you might select vc2008+sp1 runtime on winetricks!

Hmm, cannot find those. The closest I could see are these:

$ winetricks --help |grep sp1
    usp10 MS usp10.dll (Uniscribe)
    vc2005expresssp1 MS Visual C++ 2005 Express SP1 (does not work yet)
    vc2005sp1 MS Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 and ATL fix (install trial 1st)
    vc2005hotfix MS Visual C++ 2005 hotfixes (install sp1 1st)
    vcrun2005 MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries (mfc80,msvcp80,msvcr80)
    fakeie6 Set registry to claim IE6sp1 is installed

and vc2008 does not exist in my winetricks (taken from the repos), but then again winetricks on Ubuntu 10.04 spits out a whole load of crap, so suspect something else..
    Code:
    $ winetricks 
    fixme:ntdll:NtMakeTemporaryObject (0x40), stub.
    fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeResourceLite stub: 0x112090
    fixme:ntoskrnl:MmQuerySystemSize stub
    fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeNPagedLookasideList stub: 0x54f3a0, (nil), (nil), 16, 44, 1936090177, 16
    fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeResourceLite stub: 0x54f360
    fixme:ntoskrnl:ObfReferenceObject ((nil)): stub
    fixme:ntoskrnl:IoRegisterFileSystem (0x1120d8): stub
    fixme:ntoskrnl:FsRtlRegisterUncProvider (0x53e6e4 0x53e6d4 0): stub
    fixme:ntoskrnl:IoUnregisterFileSystem (0x1120d8): stub
    /home/ziii/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/zenity.sh: 83: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    Think I shall have a cup of tea and chew it over.

think u only need 2005, as thats what they linked to in the post
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Wait, NC in Linux is broken again?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTrip
    Wait, NC in Linux is broken again?
    who knows, have to wait till after the patch, all we know is that we needed visual C++ 2005 runtime libraries, no idea why setlec said 2008
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Looks like vcrun2005 MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries is what you are after.

strange couldn't make the game run with vc2005... but it worked with 2008, haven't looked into things...

Phoenix Ltd - Director of R&D Trillian's Avatar

Hi guys! For those who remember me.. I miss you!

(back to the original topic of the thread)

Not sure I'm qualified anymore to speak on the future of NC and I apologize if I have the details wrong.. but I’ve be away a while.

With NC 2 there was excitement. We finally got DoY. Hacknet and Regents became a reality. For a bit life started coming back to the game. Everyone was excited to explore the new areas.

Then EVO 2.1 came out and there was a skill reset. Many things were changed, but at least we didn't have to lom to reskill our characters. After that there was *another* skill reset with even more changes... and that's kinda when I stopped playing. I skilled my tradeskiller and APU but didn't bother with anything else.

I know all of the changes were meant to be for the good of the game, but IMO some of them are what helped kill it. The game is no longer the same Neocrack that I became addicted to. When I log in I'm only reminded that nothing is the same. Most of the role players left for greener pastures. Everything became more of a red = dead mentality.

At this point I’m not sure that NC can be saved. But I think it may help if they returned to the basics the game was founded on.
    Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldnt want to live there!

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian
    Hi guys! For those who remember me.. I miss you!

(back to the original topic of the thread)

Not sure I'm qualified anymore to speak on the future of NC and I apologize if I have the details wrong.. but I’ve be away a while.

With NC 2 there was excitement. We finally got DoY. Hacknet and Regents became a reality. For a bit life started coming back to the game. Everyone was excited to explore the new areas.

Then EVO 2.1 came out and there was a skill reset. Many things were changed, but at least we didn't have to lom to reskill our characters. After that there was *another* skill reset with even more changes... and that's kinda when I stopped playing. I skilled my tradeskiller and APU but didn't bother with anything else.

I know all of the changes were meant to be for the good of the game, but IMO some of them are what helped kill it. The game is no longer the same Neocrack that I became addicted to. When I log in I'm only reminded that nothing is the same. Most of the role players left for greener pastures. Everything became more of a red = dead mentality.

At this point I’m not sure that NC can be saved. But I think it may help if they returned to the basics the game was founded on.

GOOD LORD

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING! butnobodylistenstomebcauseidon'thavepantsingamethatarenamedafterme *cough* and yes, I wore them on test server...

Do you see any of the players that WANTED these changes still playing? NO. THEY ALL LEFT.

Phoenix Ltd - Director of R&D Trillian's Avatar

HAH! I'd forgotten all about those! I almost killed the person who did it. I would love it if someone could come up with a screen shot of them for me...
    Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldnt want to live there!

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian
    HAH! I'd forgotten all about those! I almost killed the person who did it. I would love it if someone could come up with a screen shot of them for me...
    I have that somewhere, and I have a screen shot of mavens dildo?

I'll find it and post it up for you when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTrip
    butnobodylistenstome
    No-one listens to me too, doesn't mean either of us are right.

I still strongly disagree that the changes made to NC over the years have been for the worse.

NC1 was new, shiny and different, but it was horribly unbalanced, many classes were flat out broken.

NC2 was better overall but wrecked individuality within each class (exec PEs anyone?).

The overall style of the game hasn't changed, implementation of changes and specific balance issues may have marred the experience, but not enough in my eyes to seriously detract from the experience.
    Pro vs Anti only catalysed the growing red=dead sentimentality that was already there.

The community has always made NC, with time, even if KK had the resources to keep things fresh, they would slowly leave and this has a compound effect. People make NC what it is and they 'killed' it too.

Only thing that ever killed cron for me was the small population, granted DoY was the most underwhelming, and disappointing expansion or even 'new game area' in the history of MMO's. A small confusing maze. In the end though, after all the games i've played in 13 years of PC gaming, i'd play Cron over any.

IIRC there were supposed to be 4 expansion areas, I think one was in space too, and another in Tokyo. This was announced, or discussed way back in '01 or early '02, so my memory is a bit sketchy Just a little interesting FYI :P

Danae might remember more about it.

IMO the change that saw the biggest culling of people was the removal of the city safe zones in Neocron and the scattering of faction HQs.
    A big chunk of people wanted to be able to socialize together without being forced to PVP all the time, & there was no real place where factions could gather safely & just tradeskill & talk shit. At least in the city you had some zones to run around and do things without being on your guard all the time.
    People are different, & if you force them to play a kind of game that they don't want to play, then they're not going to hang around & keep paying subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Strife
    DoY was the most underwhelming, and disappointing expansion or even 'new game area' in the history of MMO's. A small confusing maze. In the end though, after all the games i've played in 13 years of PC gaming, i'd play Cron over any.
    Yep. DoY was a little disappointing for me too. Too maze-like and disjointed. It might have been better to have sections of the city work in a similar way as outposts; conquerable by clans, or maybe factions, that then give a useful bonus.

Also the new models that came with NC 2, were in a lot of peoples opinion, far inferior to the original ones.

Ah well, easy to say it with hindsight I guess.

I've been playing online games since 1998, and video games for at least 35 years, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the most fun I ever had was NC 1.
    I LIKE YOU!
    (when i rule the world your deaths will be swift and painless)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast