It is actually a good game, 1 of my guys refused to even try it to start off, he said "oh its going to be crap". He eventually tried it (beta), starting out he complained about everything but as he kept playing he got hooked. If people give it a chance and actually try it they will see how much of a good game it is.

If you want crafting in a game play wow, you dont see anyone in the star trek series building their own ship...

When you start out in the game its really easy to just go round mindlessly blowing stuff up, when you progress in levels it gets harder, you do need to think about what your gonna do and use teamwork.

A few weeks ago the servers had quite a few problems, loads of lag, crashes, bugs, but it is (WAS) a beta, there was an end of beta event the other night, hundreds of mobs spawned constantly for hours, loads of people there firing weapons constantly, yet not a single bit of lag and no server crashes. They did actually listen to peoples bug reports and in the final few days of the beta they released atleast 5 large patches which fixed pretty much all of the bugs.

I dont see how most people can put a game down so much when they hardly played it, its still in beta and they havent progressed in the game past the noob content
    Last edited by stebedford; 28-01-10 at 23:49.

I for one happen to agree with ste, its still early days for this game but they have made one hell of a start.I was also in beta yes it had its problems but as soon as the problems were make clear to the devs they work on it almost right away.

I intend to play the game in retail and i am very much looking forward to it and i would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Star trek and/or scifi mmo's to atleast give this game a proper look.

Cheers all
    Vin.

Guys don't try and play the 'you just got caught up on the bugs'. I play Neocron - I can look past minor (even major) bugs if the core game is great. STO lacks a great core. For a beta game it was incredibly polished and if you were to just play the game for a few minutes you wouldn't instantly guess it was in pre-release.

I played the game for around 6 or 7 hours total, and trust me, my qualms were with the actual gameplay itself. It was just too simplistic and superficial.

I find the majority of people (for example a good friend of mine) who play it - and like it - are Star Trek fans. I mean theres nothing wrong with that, they can appreciate stuff that non-fans can, such as artwork and background, but as an actual game it is neither groundbreaking nor good.

it lacks of Kirks misogyny
    "I'm on the corner, wearing my leather. This dude comes up and he's, like, "hey, punk!"
    I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!"

coming from the fact that me and deno played vanguard for quite a while together, and have both played STO i'll add my 2 sence.

For me when i left Vanguard it wasnt because of bad tradeskilling or bad graphics or even the fact the pops wernt awfully high, it was more the fact that it was a chore to lvl, period. Missions were the usual boring grind missions, kill 100 of these 30 of that ect, also it took ages to just about traval anywhere, and to be fair DAoC has far superior crafting.

Now im not a harcore star treky fan never have been never will be, yet ive never bought a lifetime sub to a game either till STO.

Simply put there is enough there until they expand and the luxury of the game is these possibilities are endless, also the gam reall y dosen't open up till you have reached the later ship levels and higher BO(Bridge officer)ranks.

Also it has also been mentioned that tradeskillign will be implemented into STO in the neer future, with fleets being able to open there own starbase's(player made of course) to sell items made or aquired through the fleet (or if you mega rich and able maybe by yourself), ive probably played sTO for around 20-30 hours in beta and the missions do get far more interesting the later ou get into it.

While i admit ground combat needs tweakign and polish,although the ability to upgrade your bo's tactics and equipment is an extreamly good feature, allows scope and the ability to create your own personal play style with whatever you choose to be your away team.
    Space combat is polished and tactical,, things like power displacement and increasing shield strength to the difernt sides of the ship on the fly keep you seriously on your toes, especiall once you hit tier2 ships and missions where you will find a 50% increase in dificaulty on combat from your first 10 levels.

my personal ratings i will post below like deno.
    Graphics 9/10
    Space Combat 9/10 (fleet batles rock 40 or so players, also fleet ground missions)
    Ground Combat 7/10 needs polish get far better with later missions where actical placement is far more important.
    Lag/performance 8/10 has had major improvements especially if the final days of beta.
    Longativity 8/10 lots to be doing from the get go(played head start), and there are far more zones open, and due to an evolving onstant universe plenty more they can add, hell you can even create your own race!

P.S on regards to end game content there is more than fleet battles all the very rare stuff which alows low lvl officers(you can only have so many officers at high ranks, dependednt on class and ship types) can only be found in high lvl pve areas these range from epic quests to 2 day missions which requirte you to log on another day to continue.

The game is too heavily instanced and there isn't open PvP. MMOs in which you can't gank someone leveling/farming aren't worth playing.
    S e k h m e t

Quote Originally Posted by Deno
    I played the game for around 6 or 7 hours total, and trust me, my qualms were with the actual gameplay itself. It was just too simplistic and superficial.
    Right...so the first few hours you originally spent in NC was more eventful? Hmm let me think, I started playing NC when it was released from beta....killing rats and launchers? hmm, yeah I can see how you can compare that to the starter missions on STO...

Im not slating NC here, I used to love the game, and would come back to it if it gets fixed and a new community...

Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn
    The game is too heavily instanced and there isn't open PvP. MMOs in which you can't gank someone leveling/farming aren't worth playing.
    TBH, what you said was kinda pathetic...

I'm a big Star Trek fan, I have been since I was about 12 (21 now). I played the beta and I feel the same you do. Firstly I was excited about actually playing a Star Trek MMO, it's something that most Trek fans have been wanting since stepping into UO or Everquest and thinking 'Damn, a Star Trek version would kick ass!' Unfortunately that didn't really happen.

As you said graphics and character creation are AWESOME! I spent about 4 days in the beta before I got bored of the missions, and I would constantly go to the quartermaster and change my uniform at least 4 times a day.

Space combat is truely boring though. You either fight the same type of mission every time with ease, or you'll have a few missions which are so overpopulated with enemy vessels that you can't do it anyway.

The 'Miranda' type ship you start with is ok, good to look at when you start, and you can customise it with colour and take different ship models and mould them into a new ship, but ultimately it takes way too long to get to Lt Cmdr to get your next lot of vessels.

I was really looking forward to flying a constitution class ship that I had seen flying around, but once I reached Lt Rank 7 (3 ranks from Lt Cmdr) I got bored and didn't log on again for a week. The next time I went to log on I found out the beta was closed :\

Ground combat is great though, I love taking my away team down to a planet, hunting down species 8472 and kicking some klingon ass.

Customising your away team is good as well, giving them all different weapons offers a variety of special abilities when in combat, unfortunately the Starship abilities are very generic and because so many people have them you won't be impressed by other players in your party. In WoW if you went to a dungeon and you were teamed with a player who has full tier 10 gear, top of the line weapon and trinkets and so on, you will be very impressed at what he can do, but Star Trek fails to do that. The only difference I found was that some ships will drop disruptor banks, I preferred them to phasers (they were a great DPS increase as well) and so I was firing green bolts at enemy vessels while everyone else was firing the standard phasers. I got a few comments about it but that's the only real difference when it comes to starship combat abilities and customisation.

It's a decent game, they put a lot of effort into character side of things, such as ground missions, customisation, you can customise your BO's uniforms as well, and character development gives you a fair bit to play with. Unfortunately Cryptic dropped the ball on everything else. Graphics are great but that will only last you a few hours before you realise the missions are very generic, there's not as many people to play with as there should be in such a big MMO title, and PvP seems to be poor.

If you're a Trek fan this will definitely peak some interest but you won't be playing it for more than the first month. It's a real big shame that Perpetual dropped the project, they had a better vision of the game where everyone would play a crewman on a ship, that would have been so much more interesting to play rather than just giving every person their own ship and throwing them into combat.

Yeh I agree with what you said about character creation and the graphics. As for someones comment about the first few hours of NC, well on paper yes, its the typical 'kill 5 of these' missions, but maybe my memory is just failing me - I really did 'get' Neocron when I first played it, and I always logged off hungry for more. I think most people who play/played Neocron always said they remember the first time they played, and have fond memories of it.

I think one of the problems that I found with STO, namely that it doesn't feel like your playing an MMO is that they made it too easy to get teams. All you have to do is grab a mission, autopilot to the sector, and as soon as you zone in you autojoin a team. The fact that the action usually starts straight away means there isn't a moment to talk or even plan strategies.

Also, although yes, theres are passive 'buff' abilities, you never really have to rely on your teammates. Yes you may argue there are many very useful abilities you can use to augment your teammates, but the game simply doesn't punish you hard enough for just playing 'solo style'. You come across the odd team player, but at the end of the day, most people are lazy, and if they are on their 5th mission of the night, they just want to get it done, and since teamwork isn't a prequisite for success in battle, most don't bother with it.

Also, as Luke said, although it is awesome having your own spaceship, you very quickly realise every other person does as well. I found that in the heat of battle, and due to the scale of space combat, you never have any of those moments where you see someones ship and think 'wow that looks pretty cool'. For the majority of the time your other teammates just register in your vision as the spaceship silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by stebedford
    TBH, what you said was kinda pathetic...
    No, it's quite true for me. Without open PvP, MMOs aren't worth playing. If I wanted to grind for cooperative pve only, I'd just play a single player RPG with a better story. If I wanted just arena fights for PvP, I'd play Modern Warfare or Left4Dead.

For a MMO to be worth playing, it needs a persistent, open world with open PvP. A fact of PvP is ganking people.
    S e k h m e t

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12