Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default HL2 Map of Plaza

I mentioned this in another related thread, but I want to make sure I reach the largest audience available for feedback.

I have been working on a recreation of Plaza 1 in HL2's Hammer editor. I haven't done much, although it has taken a considerable amount of work to produce what I have thus far. I'm mainly just learning everything Source can do while at the same time creating something that I have a great fondness for.

YouTube: NC3 Plaza 1 Medicare

I would like to work on a project with anyone who wants to create something Neocron-esque in Source, but I don't have a ton of time to devote to it.

I would love to see Neocron redone in Source, or more modern equivalent engine. Perhaps after DP, KK could explore that possibility. I want to let KK know that I have a great respect and fondness for this game that they have created and really want to see it become something bigger and better in the future. Maybe, this is the start of that dream...

Anyway, there are no models or props yet, as I have to read up on XSI (I tried before, but never actually compiled a model that had the skin "stick" to it, I can make meshes just fine ). It's just the basic layout with some updated architectural features and a few basic brush placeholders until I make props to replace them or do a more detailed job in Hammer itself. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks guys, post comments.
    Last edited by WhiteKrAkRBOi; 05-07-09 at 01:14.

OMG NOOBZ PLAZA IZ LIEK A ZAFEZON3 D0NTcHOO N0!!!!!

Dude, seriously, that gave me a boner. I love it. If someone had the time to remap all of nc like that; I think I would explode in my pants.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Dude, that's sick. Nice job. What are you using as a reference of scale? I mean, how are you getting your dimensions? If you are just looking at NC2, alt-tabbing out, tabbing the editor and doing it by eye, then, you're doin a great job. Usually when people do conversions by eye there are noticeable size differences.

A very long time ago I made a chunk of Plaza 1 in UnrealEd for Deus Ex. The way that I got my scale was going into 3rd person in Neocron, walking up to a wall, and looking at where on the wall texture does top of my character's head touch, and scaling everything that way, based on the knowledge that a Deus Ex character is 96 units tall. Are you doing the same?

well, for my parts of NC2 that i'm doing for HL2 i've taken screenshots of areas with people in and use that for scaling. The Hammer editor also has a scaling system which you can use to measure things against a player too, which makes scaling sooo much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    A group of nerds feel oppressed and want a place to build their Star Trek model kits. They go into the wastelands and build Tech Haven. Geeks.
    To this day the Twilight Guardian still haven't fucking grown up.
    Population is low in Neocron (nothing new there).

That's some incredible work mate. Really, well done

Neo-Tokyo Plaza 1 map ftw.

The Don sends his regards rob444's Avatar
    Sweden where polarbears are walking the streets.

Looks nice! Wouldn't converting the bsp files from neocron save you a lot of effort though (if I remember it right, Neocron uses bsp but I could be wrong) :P?
    /Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob444
    Looks nice! Wouldn't converting the bsp files from neocron save you a lot of effort though (if I remember it right, Neocron uses bsp but I could be wrong) :P?
    yup.. they use the same container format, however you'll have some good fun trying to open em' with worldcraft

I already tried.. it's nigh on impossible to do, and all the textures ill be missing, and if (like mine) your hammer editor is broken, it won't work properly anyway (the one on my home pc says it can't find a grid file, so displays nothing, any help?)
    A group of nerds feel oppressed and want a place to build their Star Trek model kits. They go into the wastelands and build Tech Haven. Geeks.

@Izeo: For scale I used a combination of things. I did third person, used some screenshots, etc. But mainly, I do just alt tab back and forth and use my eye. I'm fairly good at judging distances in RL, I guess it transfers over nicely. Of course, I also build my map repeatedly to look at light colors and effects to make sure they are producing the same "feel" as NC, so I can judge distances while testing the map out in game and alt-tabbing as well. Also, a big help is that the player spawn entity is the same height as Gordon Freeman in HL2, so I judge a lot of wall heights from first-person perspective as well. And as always, once you have the sacle of one room down, especially in a city sector, you can make judge adjoining rooms based on the previous one's scale...

@rob444 and Trilac: With NC running on the tektoniks (sp?) engine, I don't think the compilation process is the same, so Hammer probably can't open the file even if your installation isn't corrupted. I tried opening the maps in another program as well and all I got was a bunch of errors and a blank construct. But that would be bad ass, at least to compare scale better. For me, I like working on it and perfecting it, that's the fun of it for me.

I would LOVE to see one huge map of Neocron City. That would be the most sex thing ever.

Well I'm working on it slowly. If you see Exxodus standing in P1 randomly standing around, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKrAkRBOi
    Well I'm working on it slowly. If you see Exxodus standing in P1 randomly standing around, that's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKrAkRBOi
    @Izeo: For scale I used a combination of things. I did third person, used some screenshots, etc. But mainly, I do just alt tab back and forth and use my eye. I'm fairly good at judging distances in RL, I guess it transfers over nicely. Of course, I also build my map repeatedly to look at light colors and effects to make sure they are producing the same "feel" as NC, so I can judge distances while testing the map out in game and alt-tabbing as well. Also, a big help is that the player spawn entity is the same height as Gordon Freeman in HL2, so I judge a lot of wall heights from first-person perspective as well. And as always, once you have the sacle of one room down, especially in a city sector, you can make judge adjoining rooms based on the previous one's scale...
    Awesome, same exact thing I did when making my old P1. Another thing I like doing is looking at the textures - since usually tiled floors are "grid-sized" (64, 128, or whatever) that can help loads, and then combining that with the fact that the wall texture, while not exactly tiled, may have the same resolution (so when you see a "dent" in the wall repeat itself.. then that's one "X"unit over. Just rambling, I know you already know exactly what I'm talking about. xD

:P yeah.. it's like when you;re wandering through the deserts up by DoY, it all looks cool, but when you're flying over it really high, you can see the same texture squares repeated over and over and over for a whole zone.

In my own sections (i started making empty wasteland zones) each zone floor is one giant texture (custom textures ftw) so it loads quicker. Obviously, there's a lot of stuff changed in them, like rumply bits, trees, rocks, etc, but some are just blank grasslands.

I've also tried to make each zone about the same size, so they would fit together properly (becuse it's not fun people realising that one wasteland sector is about 10m long and another is over 100m).

well tbh i'm working on making a huge map of NC city using a Xreal engine but i need to get the bullet physics implemented, as my noobish skills for programing it will take some times. If someone could make the 3d models with blender it would be very helping! also i'm going to implement a network framework to it to enable 64+ connections (players).

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec
    also i'm going to implement a network framework to it to enable 64+ connections (players).
    wow, bigger than the nc population atm!

:P sorry, cudnt resist
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast