Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Un-Registered User

Default Cant community make?

an hybrid game of neocron (3)? im sure wont be "to hard" to get some permissions to use "some" stuff from Neocron even if there is a ......can do this but Reakktor still own it.....sorta thing?
    Only wondering as i see people have been talking and i can see that people want an update/upgrade of this game and not it being the space game!LOL

Just wondering/asking as wont mind chipping in with a group?

Well.. and then what ?
    It takes years to finish such a game which will take even longer, when a community does the job.
    And don't expect that KK will give away the rights to use stuff from NC.

We appreciate your engagement but Neocron is still intellectual property of Reakktor Media and we do not plan to change that in the future.
    "Curiously the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias, as it fell, was, 'Oh no, not again.' Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly *why* the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

Ein Drom, zwei Drom, Drei Drom Terror_Nonne's Avatar
    Crahn Sect HQ || Dome of York || Wastelands || Hacknet || behind u ;>

Arrow

And the upcoming hit Black Prophecy is open source, right? - What a good joke.
    Wir leben in einem System, in dem man entweder Rad sein muß oder unter die Räder gerät.
    Kein Sieger glaubt an den Zufall. || Den Stil verbessern, das heißt den Gedanken verbessern.
    Das Leben ist wert, gelebt zu werden, sagt die Kunst, die schönste Verführerin;
    das Leben ist wert, erkannt zu werden, sagt die Wissenschaft.
    Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), dt. Philosoph

Hiya Chaos. A lot of us have fond memories of Neocron and so it's no surprise that there is a desire to pay tribute to Neocron by creating something new which is derived from existing lore.

I've already been down that route, not specifically with IP owned by Reakktor, but the principle was the same. I've come to accept that it is best to avoid existing IP when creating new work, even if that new work is meant to be a tribute to what already exists. Even if you tell the owners that you'll never profit from their work and sign legally binding contractual documents ensuring that the IP goes no further than the 'tribute title' you will still encounter problems. Not to mention the legal fees... Oh dear god, even something as simple as asking permission can cost thousands of pounds when done through official channels.

Two years ago I decided I'd had enough of the existing MMO market and decided to work on something entirely new. I'm happy to report that avoiding the binds of pre-existing intellectual property ensures complete freedom from a design and mechanics perspective, thereby allowing an opportunity to pay tribute to existing titles that have helped shape my design documents without actually encroaching upon existing IP rights.

I've no intention of hyping my own project here, suffice to say that it's big and we received a huge influx of funding last year. All we had before the arrival of several investors was a fascinating prototype I'd put together, now it is great to see all the artists we hired doing their thing and filling that world with visual content!
    "FREEZE ! Or I'll fill you full of ... Little yellow bolts of light ?" :: John Crichton :: Farscape :: Premiere Episode

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCrash
    We appreciate your engagement but Neocron is still intellectual property of Reakktor Media and we do not plan to change that in the future.

Hello, I'm an eccentric millionaire and I was wondering how much said intellectual property rights would cost?

I would like to purchase it to go along with my extensive collection of property rights.
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

This quote sums up KK in a nut shell aka NO PLANS for the future...

Please patch the game. I mean it now; It's been well over a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    Clearly this guy is a WoW fan boi and has a small penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen One
    This quote sums up KK in a nut shell aka NO PLANS for the future...
    Please don't twist my words. It says that there are no plans for selling or giving away the IP for Neocron in the future. Now what could this implicate? Right, that we still have plans for Neocron in the future.
    "Curiously the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias, as it fell, was, 'Oh no, not again.' Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly *why* the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

That is potentially great news, Snowcrash.

However, I do understand why your words (and I mean; KK's collectively, not yours personally) can be hard to believe.

How long has it been since we were told that work on a patch for Neocron had begun? Eight months? More?

I reckon, within that time, someone with even the most basic knowledge of the code required would have had time to learn more, and come up with a patch alone. So, that leaves either of the below:

a) KK have at least one incompetent coder.
    b) Work on the patch was started, and has been left gathering proverbial dust for the past 8-9 months, due to 100% dedication to BP.
    c) It was an outright lie.

I don't like any of those possibilities; however, b) appears to be the more likely of the three.

I will be playing Black Prophecy, and I will continue to support this game; but for your own sakes; let people know what's happening, rather than making misinterpretable and vague claims such as 'We still have plans for Neocron in the future'.
    Comments like that mean nothing to some people when they come from a company that has promised the world and delivered nothing in the form of an update for 15 months.

I'm not authorised to comment further, but suffice to say we can safely eliminate a) and c)
    Hoder
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»Are you questioning the authority of the NEOCRON POLICE DEPARTMENT???«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Banned User

i think we need to tie hoder to a chair and interrogate him for more answers.

or just sexually abuse him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoder
    I'm not authorised to comment further, but suffice to say we can safely eliminate a) and c)

Sigh, the frustrating thing is, all you guys here on the forums are great, I just wish that I had some face time with kk's ceo.... Neocron, the world, the premise, the "soul of the game" is one of a kind, almost perfect. It just breaks my heart to see it not done justice (as is the case atm).

Kinda sounds like the NCSoft stance on Tabula Rasa.

Customers look at it and see "We own it and it's dying with us. Sure you'd love to keep playing under another publisher but we don't care about you or the game, we're killing it to spite you. And your cat."

While realistically it's "We own it and it's dying with us. Sure it was great, but why would we ever let IP back out on the market that would most likely become our own competitor?"

Personally, I like to believe that both NCSoft and Reakktor hate my cat, but it's more likely that the latter is true.

I doubt there's anyone even left at KK that remembers HOW to modify the NC code, let alone apply a patch But then again, what can anyone really want from a free game.

Quote Originally Posted by -FN-

I doubt there's anyone even left at KK that remembers HOW to modify the NC code, let alone apply a patch But then again, what can anyone really want from a free game.
    Creating a patch for NC - that's a small thing, but if you are modifying NC code, I'm sure by the end of it you would have a clue how to patch NC for all the players.

Modifying NC - welll if NC is witten in C or C++, well last time I checked those languages are no different from C# or php, or any other language based on C. The skill's to compile and debug code are still the same.

In conclusion, I'm the coders at KK know how to work on the code, whether it's BP or NC.

I'm not saying they don't know how to modify code in general. It's knowing how the classes are setup, where things are, what functions do what, what order routines are called in, etc - that's what I'm saying has been forgotten.

"Um... so where was I. Right, editing the code for an NCPD Mission... where the hell was that again? Oh shit, I didn't comment what I last did..."

That sort of thing C'mon Brammers - it's like having to go back and edit PHP you wrote 5 years ago for THN and realizing... you have no clue how i works and don't remember a thing you did. I know the nc.syn code would look like jibberish to me if I looked at it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast