Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Neocron Regular

Default Hunting firemobs

After a good season of hunting warbots on duck-and-cover basis, I decided to try hunting firemobs. GR'd to Grant Mine, laid my eyes on a 110/110 Grim Persecutor, pulled him into the mine premises and began battle using the buildings as cover.

After a promising start, I dropped down dead. Just like that, from full HP to zero.

I was under the assumption that you are supposed to see the fireball coming at you, much like the warbot rockets and beams (granted, the beams are not always drawn before they hit, but usually are). Is this how it usually goes? Are those mobs huntable in the first place?
    SAFARI
    The Gentleman's Sport

Best hunt them insides the safety of a rhino tank. But thens the armor of the tank won't stands long againsts fire mob.

In addition to the fireballs (which do rediculous dmg themselves), a Grim will also do an invisible AOE attack , with huge range (500-ish) which will insta kill anything bar a buffed PPU .

Sniping at max range is about your only option.

In practical terms , Firemobs are not currently Exp-able ,and are barely even Huntable for a stacked team and/or Rhinos, while Poison Cave mobs are similarly overpowered (unless your a droner...in which case El-farid/Ceres Caves are better exp anyway)

Currently there are 2 options for high lvl PvE/Techs in the game.....Regents Legacy(for decent exp) and WBs for Techs (and bugger all exp)

###########

I would strongly suggest, considering that Firemobs/Poison caves arent even worth the bother exp-wise for Droners , that they at least be made Survivable by normal runners again , in order to re-create some common Team-Finding spots alike to the old Chaos Cave days.
    Perhaps we could finally again give rifle/pistol/melee users a means to Team and cap/woc without being forced to drone to do so.

Removing the DOT stacks from the mobs (just like the 2.2 APU nerf) would result in these mobs doing somewhat reasonable dmg to runners , and we could hopefully start to see the wastes/caves re-populated by Lvling runners once more.
    Last edited by Lifewaster; 17-01-08 at 12:34.

Casius / lore

i do it on my tank ALL the time its really bo big deal. BUT the grims are high lvl and mean and evil so try to do it from a distance with any distance wepaon hunting fire mobs becomes a piece of cake.

During the free month, I hunted firemobs for, I guess, about two weeks. I spent the whole of my fire mob hunting time at Cycrow. In that two weeks, I came away with over 200 tech parts, and that was only a handful of hours per day. I was using my HC tank and sniping the mobs with my City Admin Special Forces Plasma Wave (uber). I don't see many other ways of hunting them besides sniping. Aside from the massive fire damage, even with full god's wish armor, 50 points in fire resist, and camo PA (full body fire protect), there's the aforementioned MASSIVE invisible aoe damage that some of them do. Which they didn't used to do (god only knows why they added it).

So if you can snipe, it's fantastic hunting for both experience and tech parts. I'm never, ever, ever hunting warbots again for the purpose of tech parts (why spends 3 hours and get 2 parts, when you can spend 3 hours and get 15 parts?). If you can't snipe, well, sucks to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by solling
    i do it on my tank ALL the time its really bo big deal. BUT the grims are high lvl and mean and evil so try to do it from a distance with any distance wepaon hunting fire mobs becomes a piece of cake.
    Its true that capped runners with a very long range weapon can kill the mobs, but this ignores the issue that the mobs deal far too much dmg to runners.

Apu/Pistol/Melee have no chance vs a firemob (hardly even survive vs a single hopper)

This should be fixed imo...these classes need to be able to exp and farm techs as much as long range classes. A team of short range class(es)+PPU support should be able to survive fighting these mobs, instead of the only option being long range.

Or they could make caves better for the "short range" classes. I mean the swamp caves are unused for the most part (as long as I have been in nc anyway). I know a few pistol users who have used this quiet time to their advantage for woc grinding but if people want to team (without a ppu) then perhaps these could be considered for a bit of tweakage.

I think the best things to do would be to a) make survival kits drop in mob loot (instead of medical kits) and b) make better junk the friendly neighbourhood recycler. (Ie tronik parts). This and a perhaps mildly toned down damage percentage and/or xp gain would make it work.

Ofc this is all just speculation. I don't actually know what the swamp caves drop now (experience based on chaos caving mostly).
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Casius / lore

i think only the really high lvl mobs deal to much damage 100 and above really the rest really dont. i tried playing a newbie a bit and alrdy when i came outta mc5 i could do aggies tbh its easier then ever to lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by solling
    i think only the really high lvl mobs deal to much damage 100 and above really the rest really dont. i tried playing a newbie a bit and alrdy when i came outta mc5 i could do aggies tbh its easier then ever to lvl.
    Lore, you are really quite wrong , I also tried to lvl a rifle spy recently , you can easily get to rank /25 doing aggies, then rank /45 doing Bunker.... this is true due to the PvE adjustments to the low rank mobs.

However,after /45 you basically hit a exp wall , you can crawl to /50 at bunker but thats it for you, unless you can AOE regents.

At /50+ a tank/apu can AOE the regent boss room with minimal support.....

BUT melee/pistol/low rifle is basically screwed , and limited to slowly killing the few mobs per time in regents legacy upper lvl, you are not welcomed to boss room groups to join the AOe teams, since you have very little value to offer (unlike old days where a short range non-aoe was welcomed in cave teams due to ability to help kill backspawn)

You could hunt WBs using terrain, but this will be extremely slow exp.

Rank 6x Firemobs and Poison mobs will destroy you (and any potential teammates) with a single stack doing 500-1k gross dmg (barely survivable by any capped class barring a 92% resist PPU) , not to mention they will quite easily stick 3-4 stacks on you (4k gross dmg)

The fact is there is nowhere you can solo for decent exp, and nowhere to find a AOE team to welcome you, since Caves/Firemobs are no longer hunted...thus no teams to join there.

The happy days of fast exp at Aggies, and happy teams at Bunker are long gone for you, and there is basically nowhere new for you to find teams.

Eventually, you will do as everyone else does, and Lom your Pe/Spy to drone then cap and woc and make 10mil cash within 2-3 days, while any pe/spy who tries to plug on will simply remain penniless at rank /5x for the next 6 months.

Droning should not be the only viable way to level a char.

At the moment levelling by pistol or rifle is the shit at higher levels.

Rifle's don't even have an AOE option, so one to one XP takes an age.

I agree with you lifewaster tbh.

Closed - Until Further Notice

I have lommed my rifle spy to drones, and already capped in 1 day , and working on woc now, its rediculous just how easy it is for my droner spy now, compared to how incredibly hard and slow it was for my rank /5x rifle spy.

We have noobs and returning players, who are basically stuck in exp-limbo at rank 5x with nowhere viable to go , sometimes they get advised in help channels to drone, but for the ones who dont (or cant if pistol/melee/hybrid), the game is dead for them with no opportunity to cap and join PvP and we will simply lose these players.....

Something must be done to fix this, and I believe fixing the Firemob/Poison mob dmg is the best short term solution. And fixing means a Severe reduction, those 4-5 stacks that immediately land on a close range runner, should be dealing 200-300 gross dmg, NOT the currently absurd 4-5k gross dmg./......

So make those areas soloable for 5x short range classes and teams, and lets see ppl once again gathering and finding teams at those locations, and give these ppl somewhere else to go apart from regents.

Really all there is to say, imo.

well its possible to level in G08, killing some brutes, horrors and WBs.

the exp is quite good, the loot too, but that stands in no comparison to drones... so youre right

Playing since Nc1 Patch 132 NONpk's Avatar

btw. why do terrormauler more dmg than grimchasers. any suggestions?
    Die Weißheit ist wie eine Laterne im Rücken, sie beleuchtet nur den Weg den man bereits hinter sich hat. | Wisdom is like a lantern in the back, it only shines on the part of the way you`ve already passed.
    -Konfuzius
    R.I.P. Friday 24th August 2007
    REACTIVATED Thursday 10th January 2008

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Firemobs are rather overpowered at the moment. They'll tear through you even with near-capped fire resist. (MY PE with 50 FIR + inq armour + regants + holy protector + heat 3 got destroyed by a terror mauler in early 2.2). The only option (and its a practical one) is keep a lot of distance between you and them.

William: Swamp caves got used loads before 2.1. They were simply the fastest way to level a single-shot character, much like Regants is today. You could stick to the water, avodiing 90% of the attacks and do a lot of damage. I haven't tried in 2.2, but the reports I've heard are that like all mob DoT, the damage down there is now horrendous. So far, every mob I've come across that does DoT does far more per tick of DoT than the top mobs do per insta-damage shot. Level 1 DoY tunnels Xray stack is more damaging than the level 3 mobs shots (and they hurt). The firemob DoT is insane.

Life: Chaos caves are fine. Tank + PPU team a couple of weeks ago cleared it without any trouble. Their ranks have been dropped a lot though, meaning it isn't worth the effort compared to regants.

As long as Regants is broken really, no other form of PvE is going to be worthwile from a cash or xp perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster
    Life: Chaos caves are fine. Tank + PPU team a couple of weeks ago cleared it without any trouble. Their ranks have been dropped a lot though, meaning it isn't worth the effort compared to regants.
    But they arent fine, even for Tank+PPU , it still means hiding constantly trying to aoe around a corner, while a single rank 64 creeper getting into a firing position will force a retreat while barely surviving despite shields/heals and PPU spamming a cure poison spell.....and while the tank may survive , a pe/spy/apu will have died......and all this effort just to gain the crappy exp of a single rank 64 creeper.

Crappy rank mobs, should be dealing crappy rank dmg, this is the point , and they should not be dealing 500 poison dmg per stack over time, with any runner failing to imediately hide receiving 4-5 stacks (2k+gross dmg which = death sentence for any non-tank/ppu) on themselves within seconds.

Poison mobs are just as bad as fire mobs tbh. You just have more hiding opportunities which makes it just about manageable for a tank , but its still impossible for non-tanks.

This is not realistic for a rank 64 mob vs capped Tank+PPU, its more dmg from a single mob then 2-3 enemy runners would provide.

The caves ought to be decently survivable for 5x runners , especially since the mob ranks and exp gain there has been semi-crapified ......and they simply are not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast