Lead Gamemaster & Lead Moderator Chenoa's Avatar

Default Neocron on Windows Vista, 7 & 8

Feel free to post Q&A or suggestions / solutions here to get Neocron working with Windows Vista.

btw: got a new computer last week, with Vista - no problems to start Neocron, works fine (Windows Firewall off, only the routerfirewall on).
    If you cant start Neocron, try to start it (with rightclick) as administrator.
    Last edited by Chenoa; 03-09-07 at 19:07.
    "Every day you spend without a smile is a lost day" - Charlie Chaplin

Lead Gamemaster & Lead Moderator Chenoa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THE_TICK!!!!
    ok folks i got vista on this new lappy, i figured out how to launch neocrack..but NOW i get to the login screen and it wont connect to server, i disabled firewall and it STILL wont work..any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by THE_TICK!!!!
    ok windows firewall is disabled of course, and i disabled the OTHER firewall, and still nothing, it tries to connnect to server but fails it keeps telling me..cant get to the char screen just the login screen..HEEEEEEEEEEELP

continue here please
    "Every day you spend without a smile is a lost day" - Charlie Chaplin

I admit having no Windows Vista. But There's a common main problem with every Windows with NT kernel (2000, XP, ...) and NTFS file system:

NC needs write access to its own directory.

Therefore it SHOULD NOT be installed at "c:/programm files/", but at some other destination like "e:/games/nc2/" and then give the user-group your login belongs to "full write access" to this directory.

Why?

Windows prevents "normal users" from writing into "c:/programm files/" for security reasons. Therefore it's a bad idea to change the permissions of this directory.

In oder to run a game like Neocron as "normal user" (NOT administrator) and without undermining the security of your System, create a folder like "e:/games/nc2/" and the tell the game setup to install it there (as administrator), and after that change permissions of "e:/games/" and all directories thereunder recursively -> "full acces to this folder for any local user".

After that you should be able to run and patch Neocron without administrative permissions.
    Satzzeichen absichtlich wegzulassen ist gegenüber dem Leser eine grobe Unhöflichkeit, da es das Lesen des Textes massiv erschwert.

ok little vista problem... Not life threatening, but anyways...

Music !

Game music doesn't play for me, Only SFX does.
    Nobby...Staying since 2003, and Never leaving!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg
    Noob! Thread closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoder
    The hamster didn't read the epilepsy warning today and is currently being resuscitated. Please stand by...

get your latest sounddrivers nobby.
    Does the sound work in administration mode? Or try to change the permissions of your Neocron folder. Give your account full rights, and u wont have any problems also if you patch.
    Keiner lacht ohne Hoder!

Envy is the highest form of recognition

zef im trying your suggestion, ill let you know how it goes, and thanks for the help chenoa !!

Windows sucks.... hehehehe that's why i love and use linux most of the time if KK could make an engine upgrade that could be compatible with opengl it will be amazing...

cheers

ok zefrain was correct all i did was make a new folder for the cron, and it works perfectly i did C:/neocron that was it, works great, oh and i changed the permisions as well, like he advised, so chenoa i do believe that is the fix..thanks everyone for your help !!

Exclamation

i have opened my firewall to allow NC to play but then when i try to apply the patchs i get this please help

Napper

Could be an AV issue - some 'on-access scanners' sometimes interfere with write actions. Try to turn them off for the time paching.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPPER
    i have opened my firewall to allow NC to play but then when i try to apply the patchs i get this please help

Napper
    check where nc is installed, check the properties of the folder and make sure you have the permissions for writing and apply it to all subfolders and items.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim
    In Neocron most anything is allowed, its a gentlemans club. In the words of a timeless classic "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave".

Fuck doing all that just put your NC folder in like c:/games or summit

Is thinking with PORTALs NeoTrace's Avatar

MS has implemented new restrictions for programs running with Vista.

This crap is called "UAC", programs can't write in their own program folder, MS is forcing ALL developers to write program data in the owner (who is running the program) Userprofile-Folders ("My Documents").

You need to run NC with "Administrator" privileges OR set the Neocron-path restriction to FULL ACCESS for EVERYONE. This should work.
    Bitte versucht nicht den Sinn meiner Post zu erfassen, die Mühe mach ich mir auch nicht!

[Account wurde okkupiert, ist aber nun wieder in richtigen Händen. Sorry]

Do you want to think with PORTALs too?!
    Don't kill the Weighted Companion Cube!
    ulTiMaTe Promo Trailer | ulTiMaTe Launcher | Die Sloganizer-Lebensweisheiten zum Thema "Sex"
    "Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt." A. Einstein

Final Boss of the Internet Kanedax's Avatar

Am having an issue getting the game music to play, tbh it hasnt worked since i d/led vista in like february or something, its just never been a big deal

To fix the Music problem in-game, enable XP SP2 Compatibility Mode.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast