Oh well. I appreciate your effort. Thank you very much.

I still haven't gotten it working, so if anyone has any ideas, I would still really appreciate some help. Especially since my desktop here isn't suited for running Neocron. (I only reactivated because of how well Neocron runs on my laptop compared to my desktop)

I have now also tried running it in windowed mode and in dx7.

Which version of vista you have, what is your hardware config, check that your drivers are updated! turn off antivirus, anti-spywares and try to run the demo... it might be a software messing with NC...

I tried with my antivirus off, that had no affect. My drivers are fully updated already.

The Neocron Offline Demo also seems to have the same issue.

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz
    nVidia GeForce 9500M GS
    3GB memory

What do you think about a format and reinstall? it might resolve the problem... vista is kinda giving me headaches too but none related with NC...

I didn't get an install disc with my laptop. I suppose that I could acquire one via slightly less legal methods.

Quote Originally Posted by flib
    I didn't get an install disc with my laptop. I suppose that I could acquire one via slightly less legal methods.
    ok, you should have a software from your laptop manufacturer called "backup" or something like that it should do a image in dvd/cd from your operating system with its pre-installed softwares. if you don't find that look at the rear of your laptop and look for the windows stamps with the key... call your laptop manufacturer and ask them a copy of your operating system in a dvd/cd... Don't give the key to them... In casse you can't get a copy from them call Micro$oft and tell then that you don't have you dvd/cd of windows and you need to format.... they will give you a website url in their you will have to asnwer some questions and some others things (don't remember). after all that (jezz i'm tired already) the only thing that you will pay it the mailing company that M$ will use to send to you your windows dvd/cd...

Cheers

Genetically Enhanced Tank naimex's Avatar

i could have sworn i had already written a thread a million years ago with the solution...

anyways...

if you cant play neocron on your vista, then you have some options to try out.

1: run as administrator

still no luck?

2: disable user account control

still no luck?

3: disable the dep (data execution prevental)

if it doesnt work after this, then your install is corrupted, and you should remove and reinstall, because the game client will at this point have so many rights that if it wanted to it could get every tiny piece of information you have on your computer and send it to any and everyone in the world.

Still doesn't work. I have uninstalled (deleted) and reinstalled the game several times already.

naimex, FLiB have a different issue... if you read the thread you could understand it better... it might be simply his OS which is having issue... and not the game it self...

Update directx to the newest version if you havent already.

if you are running the very newest drivers for your graphics card and it still doesnt work, try using an older version.

OK Flib let's see if we can narrow it down.

1 - You have loaded to launcher screen, clicked launch and it has updated patches to current server 168?
    - If so then it's not an admin rights issue, as i have exactly the same setup as you and it would not allow me to patch the client full stop. I installed in a new directory not program files and gave it rights, then it allowed me to patch.

2 - In Vista i could run the game even without "compatibility SP2" switched on, which i did eventually do having found out it cured my no sound issue! so this shouldn't stop it loading.

3 - Where exaclty does it hang?
    - Loading to the character selection screen?
    - or once you have selected your character?

4 - Graphics
    It sounds unlikely to be a graphics driver issue, as it's hardly putting it under strain at a loading point, however i found on my laptop that it wouldn't run some other games past opening credits. Having investigated this it appears that my HP laptop drivers are written specifically for the laptop, hence they are shite. I installed a different driver than recommended by the makers and had no trouble since. WARNING - THIS VOIDS WARRANTY

Only time i have ever failed to load the game, has been firewall issues, tends to be after a patch (So no trouble for some time!) Delete ALL refererences to NC in your firewall application, so it will prompt you for first access to the internet, then run in window mode so you can see it prompt.

Closed - Until Further Notice

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Dunno, could be a drivers issue. When I last updated the nVidia drivers, I started getting the "complete black screen lock up" again when logging in. Rolling back the drivers fixed it...

OK Flib let's see if we can narrow it down.

1 - You have loaded to launcher screen, clicked launch and it has updated patches to current server 168?
    - If so then it's not an admin rights issue, as i have exactly the same setup as you and it would not allow me to patch the client full stop. I installed in a new directory not program files and gave it rights, then it allowed me to patch.

2 - In Vista i could run the game even without "compatibility SP2" switched on, which i did eventually do having found out it cured my no sound issue! so this shouldn't stop it loading.

3 - Where exaclty does it hang?
    - Loading to the character selection screen?
    - or once you have selected your character?

4 - Graphics
    It sounds unlikely to be a graphics driver issue, as it's hardly putting it under strain at a loading point, however i found on my laptop that it wouldn't run some other games past opening credits. Having investigated this it appears that my HP laptop drivers are written specifically for the laptop, hence they are shite. I installed a different driver than recommended by the makers and had no trouble since. WARNING - THIS VOIDS WARRANTY

Only time i have ever failed to load the game, has been firewall issues, tends to be after a patch (So no trouble for some time!) Delete ALL refererences to NC in your firewall application, so it will prompt you for first access to the internet, then run in window mode so you can see it prompt.
    I'm not sure if this was implied, but I should have pointed it out to begin with. Neocron has been running on this laptop before, but stopped working all of a sudden.

1. Yes, my Neocron has always been able to patch itself.

3. It hangs on the loading screen before I'm able to log in. (The one that talks about siezures and epilepsy or whatever)

4. I haven't done anything with my graphics drivers since I got the laptop.

The only drivers that have changed were the audio drivers. I got an expresscard sound card, I thought that maybe that was causing the issue, but even after physically removing it from the device and uninstalling the drivers, it didn't seem to fix it. I can't be certain, but I think that the last time I have been able to get it to run on the laptop was before I installed that. Do you think that that might be the issue somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by flib
    I'm not sure if this was implied, but I should have pointed it out to begin with. Neocron has been running on this laptop before, but stopped working all of a sudden.

1. Yes, my Neocron has always been able to patch itself.

3. It hangs on the loading screen before I'm able to log in. (The one that talks about siezures and epilepsy or whatever)

4. I haven't done anything with my graphics drivers since I got the laptop.

The only drivers that have changed were the audio drivers. I got an expresscard sound card, I thought that maybe that was causing the issue, but even after physically removing it from the device and uninstalling the drivers, it didn't seem to fix it. I can't be certain, but I think that the last time I have been able to get it to run on the laptop was before I installed that. Do you think that that might be the issue somehow?

You would be surprised how many times ive had to update my graphics drivers to a newer version even though a game hadnt been patched, hadnt been updated and had worked before..

its just one of those things that doesnt make sense, but has to be attempted in the troubleshooting process, if for no other reason, just to eliminate it as a problem.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast