Default Windows Vista eliminates vehicle bug

Hello. I decided to go to Windows Vista (x64) at this point, after hearing the drivers and such were pretty good now for games. That was the only thing holding me back from it previously. I already had prior experience with Vista.

So of course I wanted to test some things with Neocron.

First, my original problem: On Windows XP SP2, if I used DirextX 9 mode in Neocron, whenever I would get on a vehicle and drive around, I wouldn't actually be driving anywhere. It would look as if I were driving on my screen, but to others I'd be sitting there. By the time I would get to the end of the zone, I would simply bounce off the edge (because I wasn't really there). If you jump off the vehicle, you return to your previous position and the vehicle warps back to you at lightspeed. Others have had this bug as well. Using DirectX 7 mode was the only way to fix this for me. And of course, DX7 is an inferior mode for almost everything else.

Now using Windows Vista x64 (should work for the 32 bit version as well), I can use DirectX 9 mode without any problems. Just a heads up for others that have had that bug, everything I tried under Windows XP never worked.

It's also a post to show that Neocron 2 works perfectly under Windows Vista (for me anyways). I can alt-tab anywhere and back again with 2 clients running, etc. It's also relevant to point out I don't use User Account Control (UAC), which is what usually trips people up with Neocron and other programs.

Im not sure the vehicle bug has anything to do with the OS you use, because I have had it once before (cant remember if I was running XP pro 32bit or 64 bit at the time, I switch back and forth from time to time) but I was able to fix it by reinstalling NC. I havent had that problem in a long time now.

Well, in my case, the only thing that worked for my specific hardware was changing OS.

It's probably hardware related, and in addition to something in Service Pack 2. Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000, Windows XP no SP, and now Windows Vista all worked fine. Windows XP SP2, regardless of driver (chipsets, graphics, sound, network, etc), settings for those; the installation never worked correctly in DirectX 9 mode for me. And it was the same for certain others that had this bug.

I reinstall Windows at least 3 times a year just because I like having a clean ship. Every single time the bug persisted. I've spent years trying to get past it on Windows XP SP2, trust me, I've tried it all.

Also, if you've only had it once, then we aren't talking about the same bug or conditions exactly. For me, it was persistant, every single time on a vehicle, installation, driver, driver setting, and whatnot over the course of years. The only thing that worked was either changing OS or using DirectX 7 mode. At first I thought it was involving the firewall introduced with SP2, but completely disabling that service didn't fix anything.
    Last edited by Rob01m; 09-06-07 at 17:43.

For me, the fix was to do a slipstreamed install of XP w/SP2. That so far has fixed it for me every time. I know it doesn't work for you, but it's one possible fix.

Vista's fine for NC2 for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IceStorm
    For me, the fix was to do a slipstreamed install of XP w/SP2. That so far has fixed it for me every time. I know it doesn't work for you, but it's one possible fix.

Vista's fine for NC2 for me as well.
    I remember we had these talks so long ago.

In my case, I only installed SP2 on top of SP1 once so long ago, the rest of the times I had a brand new SP2 slipstreamed CD, so that alone never did it for me.

I suppose it doesn't matter anymore, but hopefully this thread will last and be useful for those that search for the proper key words, or if someone wants to know how Vista plays NC as it is today.

Roger Ramjet fanclub founder SorkZmok's Avatar

I can run neocron under vista only in dx7.

But that's probably due to my notebook, it's not that good and i get shit FPS in dx9.

But once i get outside my fps start to stutter and would drop down to 1 every few seconds. Especially with vegetation around.

I tried a full reinstall and several gfx drivers but i just can't get around it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by SorkZmok
    I can run neocron under vista only in dx7.

But that's probably due to my notebook, it's not that good and i get shit FPS in dx9.

But once i get outside my fps start to stutter and would drop down to 1 every few seconds. Especially with vegetation around.

I tried a full reinstall and several gfx drivers but i just can't get around it somehow.
    Sounds like a graphic card limitation to me, especially since it's a notebook which are designed to be low power/heat.

What kind is it? It's also possible nVidia or AMD (ATI) didn't make a good enough driver for that card in Vista yet.

Default Vista for NC bugs salvatio???

So i guess that i'll be happy to have a copy of your Vista or something like that... I can't buy this damn bugged OS right now... For the Bug Vehicule is really annoying i have it for a long time (since past July) and i've tried every thing 3 diferente Hadrwares (processors AMD athlon XP 2400, Pentium D, and now AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 reinstalled windows XP direfentes SP... still the bugs persite.

Default vehicle bugs?

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but when I get in any vehicle moving forward or reversing is fine, but when I steer left or right I just fly out of the tank!

Any ideas?

Ty

Elle x

Roger Ramjet fanclub founder SorkZmok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lince
    Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but when I get in any vehicle moving forward or reversing is fine, but when I steer left or right I just fly out of the tank!

Any ideas?

Ty

Elle x
    Err, now that's a bug that i never ever heard of so far.

/edit
    And on that vehicle bug, isn't it the same bug as the rubberbanding on zoning? Vsynch on should fix that. Or is that something else?

And on that vehicle bug, isn't it the same bug as the rubberbanding on zoning? Vsynch on should fix that. Or is that something else?
    I'm not sure what bug you're speaking of specifically. By the way, Neocron's default setting is to have Vsync on, the only way to have it off is to force it through the vendor's control panel. In my case, I get bad tearing in this game if I force it off, so I always left Vsync on anyways. The bug persisted in Windows XP SP2 (DX9 mode) even with it on. Interestingly, in Vista, even if I have it off I still don't get the bug anymore.

I simply cannot replicate the vehicle bug on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by lince
    Hi Guys,

Any ideas?
    Never heard that one before. First things first, how are your keys set up? You can typically only get out of a vehicle by jumping, so maybe you are accidentally (or purposely) hitting the jump key while steering? Is your jump key stuck? Maybe you had some kind of accessability option like "Sticky Keys" on? That can be annoying.

No other ideas yet, as I've never had it.
    Last edited by Rob01m; 13-06-07 at 15:40.

Thanks guys, It was my keys, someone changed them

Elle

Zoning or long relog aren't enough, it just persist...