How about a totally customizable UI, like how guild wars has it, in that you can selectively show or hide any window/module and move it around?

And have locallist be like, people of same alliance (doy/city/mercs?) at a medium range and people of same faction at long range, but never show people of other alliances in locallist.
    S e k h m e t

Quote Originally Posted by seratoz
    right rookee.... well next time you get mugged by a guy IRL who screams "im comming for you right now, and im 10 step behind you" let me know lolz
    Well next time you see a mugger suddenly appear right next to you IRL due to clipping errors and netlag let me know. This IS a game after all.

haunted motorcycle Scanner Darkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msdong
    hmm, so its fine to see that ppl hiding behind trees without any special affort ?
    You may be looking at this wrong. It should take extra effort (spell/drugs/tech tool) to be temporarily removed from the local list, or achieve "radar invisibility".

Thus you could do this to remove yourself from the list when sneaking up on people and when hiding. Effect duration could maybe last as long as the rare drugs and yes there should be some sort of malus or drug flash like effect...

Cut from the stolen Picture... msdong's Avatar

so only spys and infiltrator PE should be able to kill you when they come up from behind ?

this is no stealth for everyone thread

so - when there iis a ppl detection system in the WL installed - where is the swich in Hacknet or the controlltower to turn it of for a zone ?

Rookee man, you still dont get it. People are going for REALISM here, just because there is an error in the game mechanics (ie clipping), doesnt mean you need a "cheat" system (locallist) to see people comming up behind you. Not to mention the local list doesnt always work anyways further weakening your arguement. What you need to focus on if that is the reason for you wanting localist........ is improving netcode and removing the need for the cheat system to compensate. Think about what you REALLY want. not the quick solution
    Terra ~
    (Drizoner) Capped Droner Spy : Hacker (ops,belts, mobs), Implanter tl 115, Driver (all vehicles), Repper, Stealths
    (Tankzors) Capped Hybrid Tank : MC primary, HC secondary
    (Seratoz) Capped APU
    (Healzors) Mid levell PPU : Hacks, Pokes

Quote Originally Posted by seratoz
    People are going for REALISM here
    The bugs are not the only reason of course. Even if the errors were fixed, too much realism isn't necessarily good for a game, you have to consider the implications too.
    NC isn't your ordinary FPS where you can easily respawn deathmatch-like and are back on track within a couple of seconds. I know it's much more thrilling to run around in PP3 without knowing what's waiting around the next corner, but consider that it can be very frustrating when you've been driving around the wastes for 10 minutes in order to complete a quest and then get mugged by some lame camper that's been waiting in a hidden spot somewhere. He shoots you in the back and kills you with three strikes because you're unbuffed. Hardly a chance of defending yourself. Just an example. With locallist, both of them get time for preparation, or one of them flees, maybe resulting in a hunt. Fair fights are fun for both, fierce ambushes only for one.

It's all about playability, not realism. Just my point of view.

I know this has already been said but how about no local list in the wastes only in the city? but, have it so it only effects non le'd players

I mean it cant be hard to make it so that when you pull your le out you lose your local list.That way the le's get to keep it, pvp'ers lose it

or just have it so nobody has a local list outside the city or at all

EDIT:- @ rookee
    I see your point about being ambushed it just seems a shame that you know someone is around you when you haven't seen them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    Neocron is like an ex-girlfriend you keep in contact with in the off chance she might put out. You sleep with her and you feel ashamed because it's not like how you remembered it.

yeah i agree rookee brought up some really good points about the local list, and im half heartedly on his side. But I still like no local
    Terra ~
    (Drizoner) Capped Droner Spy : Hacker (ops,belts, mobs), Implanter tl 115, Driver (all vehicles), Repper, Stealths
    (Seratoz) Capped APU

You need to stop thinking of it as a game feature and instead think of it as a futuristic upgrade. In such a hostile enviroment surely it would be beneficial to have a device that lets you know who's close enough to stab you in the back.
    It also currently gives a rifle Spy/PE an advantage over distance that they deserve.
    Another point is, you can't really have a physical awareness or hear runners approaching so the people list makes up for it. If you really need to sneak up on someone then stealth ffs. If you can't then you're in the wrong class in the first place.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

You could also look at it as a realistic thing if you assume brain implants also have interference detection which picks up on the elecromagnetic signature of the imps in a nearby runner's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoh
    locals used for a few things, hunting people down, be it in a combat situation, or to just find their avatar for a trade. honestly i think it should only work inside the cities, once you are outside in the wastelands it shouldnt work, just appear blank.
    Perfect idea. i was thinking the same. Turn it off in the wastes and on in cities.

Probably be a decent ish idea for it to be on for team mates too. just in case you cant see the team icon on someone for some reason ie your a bit thick.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

Cities does have one flaw, in that sneaking in (as opposed to a raid) would become less viable.

I'm not sure which way I would want it to go. The local list clearly has it's uses, but from a realism point of view (and creating a greater sense of the intended atmosphere) it would be better for it to go.

Maybe LEs (whereever) and in designated trade zones (HQs, TH, P1/DoY-CC, MB and Canyon).
    And for a little realism, allies too.
    Last edited by Dribble Joy; 20-10-06 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by rookee
    consider that it can be very frustrating when you've been driving around the wastes for 10 minutes in order to complete a quest and then get mugged by some lame camper that's been waiting in a hidden spot somewhere. He shoots you in the back and kills you with three strikes because you're unbuffed. Hardly a chance of defending yourself. Just an example.
    drop your guard and expect the consiquences i say.. you have some good points, but it's just lazy to not be prepared at all times, plus it's the feeling that you have to be on guard, on edge, ready for a fight at all times which gives atmosphere to the game.

i say remove local list.. at least for a while (testserver?), but fix things like trees etc so droners can't hide in half of them :/ (could just make it public that it's a bannable offence till you have time to fix it)

Im not against the local completely, for those of you who say its realistic to have a detection system you are COMLETELY right. Just make it a tool like everything else. Make someone have to spec for it, or have to turn it on........... just like stealth. And i agree they need to introduce sound better so that you can hear someone comming up behind you based on speed. Kind of like some of the spy games out there (cant think of the damn PS2 game, based on tom clansy book..........) anyways yeah i would love that
    Last edited by seratoz; 20-10-06 at 16:40.
    Terra ~
    (Seratoz) Capped APU

Splinter Cell?
    "If you think it's simple, then you have misunderstood the problem." -Bjarne Stroustrup

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast