Quote Originally Posted by Scanner Darkly
    Not only did it [Firefly] have one of the highest DVD sales of any show but they actually made a studio movie of the series BECAUSE OF SAID SALES. So yeah it must really suck.
    You get out of the wrong side of bed or something? Tetchy barsteward.
    Firefly had its film because and only because Joss Whedon wouldn't let it die which he admitted himself in television interviews. Futurama has been cancelled about 5 or 6 times and keeps being brought back by popular demand. The problem with popular demand is that its only a vague opinion usually. You can have 5,000,000 people sign an online petition (lots of time and dedication involved there ) but the trouble is only 1,000,000 people are actually true fans who tune in to watch it every week.
    The same thing happened with th Angel series. I thought it was much better written and directed and everyone had already polished those talents and cut their teeth with the Buffy series. To take this one step futher, it starred David Boreanz. Not really a big incentive for most lads but that shouldn't matter because most of the Buffy and Angel fanbase was female anyway.
    There were/are a lot of people who like the idea of these and other series but not enough to actually bother watching it.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

haunted motorcycle Scanner Darkly's Avatar

My point being, that whether a show does or does not get cancelled has nothing to do with it's quality. It is almost entirely to do with it's ratings (viewing figures) which affect sponsorship/advertising.

If a network feels that a show is not performing well, which can be because a show sucks or because it is mishandled by the TV network, or for various other usually commercial reasons, it will pull the plug.

Hence my comment about Family Guy (cancelled a million times) and your example of Futurama, both of them series that faced termination in their prime. Btw Futurama as you probably know is being brought back in 2008 for one confirmed series with usual cast. Hooray for Billy West & co!

edit: not sure why "Joss whedon not letting it die" in any way supports your argument that the show sucked. He didn't want to let it die (and released comics/and I think some novels - comics seemed a bit weak to me) because there was still a story to be told. Did you actually watch the show? It really was pretty good, just perhaps a little too unique for its own good.

Sorry I snapped at you, I just thought your post lacked any substance behind your assertions.

edit 2: I think it's okay to call me a bastard barsteward is kinda campy

Talking about Enterprise here? What an awful awful show. Just goes to show that Berman and Braga (producers) really know how to run a franchise into the ground - come on Star Trek was virtually a guaranteed goldmine.

SG1 - the couple of episodes I watched looked terrible, good riddance.

Aaah, so because Fox had no idea how to market it, showed pretty much all the episodes out of sequence (most of their execs have trouble distinguishing their arses from their elbows, I'm told) and let's face it, completely mishandled the show, Firefly sucks ass. Get a clue, dude.

Another show getting cancelled by FOX after a short-ish run: Family Guy - that's really shit too right. Brought back due to popular demand, but I digress.

Not only did it [Firefly] have one of the highest DVD sales of any show but they actually made a studio movie of the series BECAUSE OF SAID SALES. So yeah it must really suck.

Whoa, getting inflamed on The INTERNET!!!
    Alot of sci-fi fan's think that fox doesn't give new sci-fi shows a chance to develop enough, some examples that community commonly states is space above and beyond and firefly theres several other but i can't rember them.

Enterprise is again another story though it did succumb to the ratings machine , it was more an issue of the writing and continuity that was smashed to pieces according to the fanbase. But still its coming back we're getting another movie in a couple of years.

And for peoples reference its not the production studio that wants to cancel it, from what i gather sci-fi didn't want to air it anymore. There line up has started to change for the weirder... pro wrestling on sci-fi anyone?
    Now im not sure if I want sci-fi to pick up scott siglers ancestor for a TV Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxen
    Enterprise is again another story though it did succumb to the ratings machine , it was more an issue of the writing and continuity that was smashed to pieces according to the fanbase. But still its coming back we're getting another movie in a couple of years.
    I enjoyed the first few episodes of Enterprise, but by about half-way through the first (only season for me) season, it seemed to be turning into a retro-Voyager sans sexy middle aged Janeway analogue. No Janeway, no dice.

I just kept expecting Dean Stockwell to pop up whenever Scott Bacula was around.

edit: not sure why "Joss whedon not letting it die" in any way supports your argument that the show sucked.
    It wasn't really to support my argument, more to undermine yours regarding film = popular. Not a direct quote, but what appeared to be your point.

Sorry I snapped at you, I just thought your post lacked any substance behind your assertions.
    my original post wasn't intended to have any substance. It was just an opinion in response to Hell-demons. I wasn't offended anyway so no apologies necessary, it just seemed a little out of character compared to your other posts I've read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    Firefly was infinetly better than SG-1!
    edit 2: I think it's okay to call me a bastard barsteward is kinda campy
    As for the "campy" barsteward, there was no malice or feeling behind it. More of a jokey comment, a friendly flame if there is such a thing.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

Apparently according to the latest news MGM has climbed onboard the save stargate campiagn

Quote Originally Posted by Jodo
    It wasn't really to support my argument, more to undermine yours regarding film = popular. Not a direct quote, but what appeared to be your point.
    My argument was that Cancelled show with unusually high DVD sales = popular/cult show . This is the reason that's usually given as to why Universal put up the money for Serenity. Serenity was of course a box office flop and made back it's budget plus a little extra from DVD sales.

It's not like Whedon has that much clout that he can just snap his fingers and get a deal for a movie spun off a huge big failure of a TV series.

By the way did you watch much Firefly?

Sorry, I meant to answer that in my last post. I watched the first couple of episodes but found the characters weak and unlikeable (same trouble with Farscape too). I really couldn't get in to it and a couple of the actors seemed quite poor, possibly contributing to the weak characters. The two that had been in Buffy and Angel (one of them also in and the Shield 24) I have never liked so that probably influenced me a bit. As I said though, it's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jodo; 05-10-06 at 19:46.

Blog Entries

Aww, that's a shame, but I say:

BRING BACK MACGUYVER!!!!!
    Danae
    Account Management & Player Support
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

Facebook • Twitter • IRC • Play Neocron! • Support Routes • Rules of Conduct

lol, do you happen to know Patty and Selma by any chance?

Richard Dean Anderson is getting old, I think he is planning on being let out to the field to stud. As for firefly/serenity, I liked it a lot, and since it broke even and then some, maybe they will make another, 70% of the crap the studios roll out these days can't be breaking even, a break even keeps the lights on and the camera crew employed. Who knows?
    Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
    These forums are not for setting up "duels", NF engagements, op wars or to argue about who has the biggest virtual weenie.
    Originally posted by Nidhogg
    The Role-Play forum is here for you to discuss in-game issues in character. Anyone found not to be in-character will be executed. Have a nice day.

Sadly that’s not enough for the backers to be bothered about and there's also no guarantee that it would continue to break even. If it's not making a huge profit, the backers will not want to risk their cash.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234