Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Default Font Size in Neocron

I have a friend who plays Neocron and for a variety of reasons he has eye problems. Anyway, he has real problems reading a lot of text in Neocron. Its a strain for him and he finds it difficult to pay much attention to NPCs or even trade and so on with other players. Now its not a big thing, but he'd be helped greatly by the ability to change text size in Neocron - notably the NPC chat and the chatbox - obviously it would be difficult with some of the other stuff that the RPOS is designed around.

Anyway, is there any hope of adressing this issue to help the weaker of sight NC or potential NC players (I'm sure there are a fair few out there).

The Don sends his regards rob444's Avatar
    Sweden where polarbears are walking the streets.

Good idea, 5*.
    /Rob

Anyway, is there any hope of adressing this issue to help the weaker of sight NC or potential NC players
    Just play at 640x480, or is he just having problems with text and not other parts of the UI?

The fonts aren't scalable, they never have been scalable, and there's no indication they ever will be scalable. I run at 1152x864 for precisely this reason. Anything higher and the fonts are too small for me to read comfortably

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IceStorm
    Just play at 640x480, or is he just having problems with text and not other parts of the UI?

The fonts aren't scalable, they never have been scalable, and there's no indication they ever will be scalable. I run at 1152x864 for precisely this reason. Anything higher and the fonts are too small for me to read comfortably
    Just fonts really. And its not really a particuarly fair option. At 640 x 480 the rpos is pretty much unmanigable and the game does just look rather ugly. And the HUD sections take up half your screen.
    You'll also notice from time to time screenshots that show people with bugged fonts - and a differnt, often larger and clearer font appears - althoug often badly out of line.

I want longer stealth :(

Bring back the NC1 font, it was so much easier to read, especially on the item 'info' windows. Runner / mob / clan names were a lot smoother too. I've never liked the 'square' font all in capitals.

Although the original font is still used in NPC text boxes, i do agree that it should be bigger. Certain webpages cater for the visually impaired with choice of layout / font size, so why not PC games? Or is there a setting somewhere i don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzaki Iejir
    Also, let history know, nobby was the master stragetist in this battle, while the desk of help produced the small battleplan, nobby was the first on to spot the weakness in the enemy lines.
    Next time we go to war, that's us fucked then

You'll also notice from time to time screenshots that show people with bugged fonts - and a differnt, often larger and clearer font appears - althoug often badly out of line.
    Oh, you can hack up the UI to use a different font, but I don't think it's kosher from what KK has said and as you noted, it ends up out of line. The UI doesn't support scalable fonts, in general.

The horizontal lines in the text box doesn't help either :P
    [ Signature removed for violation of the forum rules - Nidhogg ]

Quote Originally Posted by IceStorm
    The UI doesn't support scalable fonts, in general.
    What an excellent excuse to create a new smoother simline HUD

I have problems reading the GR window and names/figures in the trade window and the text in those situations is just damn tiny, i'd play in higher than 1024x768 if the font were bigger - i dont at the moment because then EVERYTHING strains my eyes not just the gr/trade window.

If all else is lost your friend could shell out £800 on a nice new lcd tv and use that as his monitor. Works for me and nc sure looks nice. Tho dont try and stretch it to a widescreen resolution.
    It'll be a quicker fix than gettin kk to add a new font.

Anyway althought the font isnt scalable would it be possible to simply add a bigger font and give players an option in the ... options to choose between normal or larger font? Not sure if this is possible but i'm sure it prolly is... somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet
    lol, just lol. I mean, really LOL. If there was a case bigger than upper case, i'd be typing LOL in it now.

RusSki is right. My brother gave me a $500 Dell LCD for my birthday (cause he's nuts) and the difference in everything is amazing, though it ghosts a bit in dark games, which I actually don't mind. NC in 1280x1024 is SOOO much better, for RPOS status window real estate.

I have eye sight problems as i wear glasses, and soemtimes i get rele bad headaches quinting my eyes to read the text

The font sizing has been a pain in the arse since the original betas, and has been consistently complained about ever since.

I'd dearly love to use a higher resolution (my machine is well capable of it) but I have to limit myself to 1280x1024 because the fonts are simply unreadable any higher.
    Even at 1280 it's just on the limit, and is a strain to read.

The new typeface introduced in NC2 just made the problem worse.

The RPOS as a whole badly needs a reworking - could we get some of the GFX people working on it while the coders are busy with the bugfixing and balancing effort ?

At the launch of NC2 and the horrible "frilly" RPOS Iorghe said some new options would be forthcoming, and I believe (from PM conversations) that a good deal of work had already been done on a new layout - for whatever reason this has been shelved and not referred to ever since.

Ho hum.

Rating this 5*s for what little value it will have for this to be taken into account - i hope it is, hud rework with better fonts (the Neocron 2 font is really harsh on the eyes) that are scalable or even as suggested with a normal and big setting would be a very welcome thing.

I don't agree spending out £500 for a new LCD to fix a font problem, when it's a game design/graphics issue.

On a related topic, reading weapon descriptions and GR lists in CAPS ALL THE TIME with a very hard to read font, is hard even enough for normal sighted people at 1024 x 768 resolution.

Comon KK, encourage healthy gaming and put in a readable font.

haunted motorcycle Scanner Darkly's Avatar

The consensus seems to be that an option to toggle the font between small/medium/large is required. I also had to limit myself to lower resolutions in order for the font to be readable, even on relatively large monitors (19" crt and 17" lcd). And a more customisable/skinnable interface would make a lot of people happy too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast