Neocron Apartment Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus
    I think you are wrong on a lot what you said. To pick one point. The LE or lack there of != no roleplay.

Lets say you join a clan. The objective of the clan is to look after each other. Both in resources and weapons/guards (if you are incapable of defending yourself). If you and your clan are incapable or do not want to fight, then you set up a service with another clan that can.

You can do this with ease in a roleplaying aspect.

To say you need an LE to roleplay is an annoyance. It assumes that because someone is capable of shooting a weapon they will.

The attitude of that there would be no traders on a more PvP centric server (eg. Neptune) is also incorrect. Traders will still exist and will make money. Sure they will get attacked and killed, but they can use their customer base to protect them.
    Looks like you kinda missed my point - either that or we need to agree to disagree

I'll try a different tact though

I have to keep my LE in, I have no desire to get ganked by capped runners at a whim (I'm far from capped) nor do I feel compelled to level up to the exclusion of all else just to prevent said ganking (I choose how I want to play, as soon as I am forced I'm not having fun anymore) - while I would engage in PvP on a fair basis (rank restricted PvP for example) the game does not cater to this so I have to keep my LE in

I refuse to be the source of a high/capped players twisted sence of achievement and amusement (for all of the 10 secs it takes them to kill me) especially when I am then penalised for it (item decay, dropped items I might not get back, re pokes etc - nothing but negatives for me here)

Which prevents me (and my friends) from forming a clan, pooling equipment, having a meeting place, sence of unity, identity in politics etc. I was NEXT btw so my character/faction goals are hardly confrontational in nature

However give me a fair fight (one where my opponent would be less eager to pull the trigger since he could easily lose and asks himself what he has to gain) not only would I embrace this but it suddenly creates a tense environment where you really dont know if that 'enemy' will fight, run or just ignore you

Theres more to this game than PvP (political 'conflicts' goes wayyy beyond PvP, especially where the 'corp factions' of the city are concerned)

Which is basically why I quit the game - you can either believe that or not, but it doesnt change anything

Then you can look at the polarised community and the low player counts and ask yourself 'why'. Everyones got their own opinion, I just call it as I see it
    Last edited by 5150; 14-07-04 at 14:40.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 5150
    Looks like you kinda missed my point - either that or we need to agree to disagree

I'll try a different tact though

I have to keep my LE in, I have no desire to get ganked by capped runners at a whim (I'm far from capped) nor do I feel compelled to level up to the exclusion of all else just to prevent said ganking (I choose how I want to play, as soon as I am forced I'm not having fun anymore) - while I would engage in PvP on a fair basis (rank restricted PvP for example) the game does not cater to this so I have to keep my LE in

I refuse to be the source of a high/capped players twisted sence of achievement and amusement (for all of the 10 secs it takes them to kill me) especially when I am then penalised for it (item decay, dropped items I might not get back, re pokes etc - nothing but negatives for me here)

Which prevents me (and my friends) from forming a clan, pooling equipment, having a meeting place, sence of unity, identity in politics etc. I was NEXT btw so my character/faction goals are hardly confrontational in nature

However give me a fair fight (one where my opponent would be less eager to pull the trigger since he could easily lose and asks himself what he has to gain) not only would I embrace this but it suddenly creates a tense environment where you really dont know if that 'enemy' will fight, run or just ignore you

Theres more to this game than PvP (political 'conflicts' goes wayyy beyond PvP, especially where the 'corp factions' of the city are concerned)

Which is basically why I quit the game - you can either believe that or not, but it doesnt change anything

Then you can look at the polarised community and the low player counts and ask yourself 'why'. Everyones got their own opinion, I just call it as I see it
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatMilenko
    i hate people who wanna make this game not hardcore ok people imagine in real life at post apocolyptic pretty much dying to live would you be a lil fucking carebear?
    Wtf is not hardcore about having a new server? And i still don’t see how people can complain about it, nobody is trying to force people to play there, just give an option to those who dont want to play on a server with a poor economy...

Lol also what does "people dying to live" mean?

And as for real life in the neocron situation would people want peace or war I'd be pretty worried if anyone wanted to run around killing innocent people in any rl situation...

Anyway no one is trying to force their rules on anyone else so i don't see a problem, you can play your way they can play theirs, why should everyone be able to play the game how they find it fun?

Default again??

Well, is it only me or do we have this discussion for the 5th or 6th time?
    A second thought: Please stop the "you can`t spell properly" and all that waffle Thanks!
    Callash (09. Nov. 2003; 22:50):
    I am still debating with the coders over the feature I have in mind (which I won't reveal until I can guarantee that it is coming). I can repeat what I said. If it works, it will have been worth the wait. Droners need two things: a ton of bugfixes and... well, that special feature I wrote both up and gave it to the coders, I will go on their nerves, but that's about all I can do. Don't give up hope yet

I have to keep my LE in,
    Don't confuse PvP with griefing. At any time PvP is enabled there will be a situation that "I'm a roleplayer" type people will deem unfair. Like GR'ing into 10 people of the same level as you.

The point is that PvP can be part of the roleplay. You get PK'ed by someone then hire someone to protect you, or form a clan to police the area, or get you clan/faction to deal with it.

We are playing different games. I hunt where PK'rs don't go. If I get PK'ed (which is rare) I move to another area and inform people of where the PK'er is. I have all my stuff blueprinted so if I loose it I can get someone to construct a new one. Getting pokes and repairs with others helps build a community (eg. "That SOB PK'ed me again".. "Oh thats a shame have this on the house"..). You can build trade relations and help to impose embargoes on the troublesome players.

It works reasonably well on Pluto (despite some having multiple accounts). Although multiple characters detracts from roleplay too, but that is another issue.

PK'ers are rarely a source of annoyance to me. SL PK'ers tend to go red fast and have more to loose. F6 PK'ers, well I just avoid the obvious areas they hang out.

Which prevents me (and my friends) from forming a clan, pooling equipment, having a meeting place, sence of unity, identity in politics etc.
    It doesn't prevent you. You get like minded people in the clan, and have one build extra items for each other, another do all the repairs for you (just switch spares), team to go hunting so yous can fight back or flee easier. Build up a roleplay presense in your faction so others in your faction will flock to you/help you. With a clan also items become a lot cheaper and death begins to have no meaning.

You don't have to form a clan until your at a reasonable level to defend yourself (30-40).

The problem is a lot of people want hand holding or a single player game. They whine and whine until they get their way and then move onto something else. When NC started there wasn't even LE's. They were only added at the last moment into retail afair. Now they don't even have any penalties anymore.

When I lost my first hovertec I almost died realising how much time it cost me to get it. Now I know enough that I can get the key recycled and blueprinted and get a new one built for a fraction of the cost.

If you quit the game why are you still posting here?

* Edit.. btw who has problems with PK'ers anymore? All the new characters start off with LE's making noob hunting non-existant. By the time the person has ripped out the LE they are in a position to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet
    Well, is it only me or do we have this discussion for the 5th or 6th time?
    A second thought: Please stop the "you can`t spell properly" and all that waffle Thanks!
    Rofl, this convo is been brought up 100 times, and anyone who corrects spelling/grammer of someone like this is an english paper is an ass, its like saying "i have no more points/arguements so i have looked and found your spelling to be badd, noob" :P

-Crono

Neocron Apartment Guide

If you quit the game why are you still posting here?
    I was waiting for that one :-)

When (if?) DOY arrives I may try again (the fact that NC's enemies will supposedly be banned from the city may help the situation somewhat)

Other than that...sorry asm I not supposed to be alowed to post here/read the threads anymore?

WRT the rest of your points, I can see where you're coming from but we'll have to agree to differ - You're obvious prepared to be more tolerant and flexible than I am and too much of what your suggest I view as 'going out of my way to address a problem I personally dont think I should have to address in the first place'

As I said before once (a) certain playstyle gets forced on me I'm not doing what I want anymore = I'm not having fun, I'm paying to work (and I normally get paid to work :-) ). Since my playstyle obviously isnt popular with some players (or indeed the devs idea of what Neocron is about) I just left rather than kick up a huge fuss, call for nerfs etc - I too old for all that hassle, I'll just go elsewhere (where I can do what I want to do in game)

5150 has hit upon an important point. The PKer gets his jollies but the player getting sandbaged is the one being penalized. PKing is not the same thing as PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent
    5150 has hit upon an important point. The PKer gets his jollies but the player getting sandbaged is the one being penalized. PKing is not the same thing as PvP.
    If they are a PK'er they risk soullight loss. Too much and they get penalised. For faction enemies, it is up to you to get your faction to help you out. After all factions with the most players do so because there are others in the faction that look out for them.

As for penalised. They loose one item into a high soul light belt. The PK'er has to hack it to get a low level item, which can be easily replaced. The victim also gets CON/STR XP from being killed.

The PK griefers get their jollies from winding up their victims. The more wound up you are the better the feel (trash talking, coming back to your corpse thinking they wont kill you). Remove the fun from the PK'er and they will leave you alone.

Some examples.
    - Keep coming back to get killed (if a SL kill), run in front of their gun to stop others being killed. Especially if they are being asses in a hunt zone.
    - If it was a facton kill then don't bother going back.
    - Warn others of the location. This will keep easy targets away and let the people who like to fight to sort them out.
    - Find out of the way levelling spots. For example. Miltary Base is a PK magnet, yet I know of 8 other spots that are static Launcher spawns that PK'ers dont go to because they prefer their sheep in the pen rather then freerange.
    - Ignore any taunts and don't engage in conversation.
    - Refuse to do any business with them or their clan (extend to faction based on situations).

Don't make them effect you in any way. Once they realise they are not getting the responses they want they will leave.

Also wear the LE until mid level.

Absolutely agreed... the Neocron framework doesn't really give us any other way, but that's KKs fault, and it ought to be fixed...

When was the last time in a civilized nation (Neocron) a government, some private corporations some anarchists (TG) and other random people grabbed guns and ran to the bad part of town (PP) to shoot the hell out of each other?

War is about more than just the soldier on the ground.
    I knew you were dangerous, yet my eyes refused to look away

foolish eyes

- Keep coming back to get killed (if a SL kill), run in front of their gun to stop others being killed. Especially if they are being asses in a hunt zone.
    This has to be borderline exploiting. I mean if i want to kill Mr. X for whatever
    reason that may be, and Mr. Y runs in the line of fire because he wants me
    to shoot him, and by doing that loose soullight has to be abusing the game mechanics.

Anyway, I cant say that I agree with much of the other stuff you write aswell.
    -
    -
    Primate - Radium - Penny Lane - Virtual Angel

-

Quote Originally Posted by seraphian
    Absolutely agreed... the Neocron framework doesn't really give us any other way, but that's KKs fault, and it ought to be fixed...

When was the last time in a civilized nation (Neocron) a government, some private corporations some anarchists (TG) and other random people grabbed guns and ran to the bad part of town (PP) to shoot the hell out of each other?

War is about more than just the soldier on the ground.
    well first off its a GAME. It's not sposed to be real..thats why i enjoy it...2 i AM a soldier and i AM in a warzone..and i have seen soldiers takin bullets for other soldiers...also..private corporations run allot more than you think....they dont need guns anymore...and if im not mistaking...there really isn't a govt. as we know it in neocron..i think it is pretty much anarchist run and owned ....thats the feel i get anyway...dunno reminds me of texas everyone runnin round with GUNS

in bed with your wife while ur NC stoned and drooling..

Venus used to be awesome..we had a good population, a good blend of PvP/RP, and then it got screwed up, completely trashed by PK'ers, mostly english-speakers, Saturn players maybe? Or just rascist cunts from any of the servers, who just happened to speak perfect english. Racism..yep, I'm serious.
    examples: ``Take that, you french ************!``
    ``Die, stupid frog noobs!``
    ``Fucking noob french fries.``

We also had players named Frog Killer, Frog ************, you name it, they were there. Screenshots to Alchemic Dream didn't help much, they just re-rolled with less offensive names, but the comments remained the same. Oh well.

Is the situation on Pluto really that bad? the low server pops, no tradeskillers, etc..? Sounds nice, a 1 server slot where reputation is important.
    How's the RP there?

Edit: We can swear and say whatever we want, but the word ``************`` gets censored.Interesting.

Pluto is pretty nice. RP wise people try, and you can find it if you want it also. But in all seriousnes its not asshat free ;P But im shure u werent expecting that anyways.

But it does have a very big RP following in there.

Sorry to hear that stuff happening man, but when you got a agme that draws in from a CS croud, you will have whiny mid teens who shouldnt even be old enough to play the game :/

-Crono

Quote Originally Posted by retr0n
    This has to be borderline exploiting. I mean if i want to kill Mr. X for whatever
    reason that may be, and Mr. Y runs in the line of fire because he wants me
    to shoot him, and by doing that loose soullight has to be abusing the game mechanics.
    So, it's an exploit getting ganked by free will now? How about this: STFU.

PvP != Griefing

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast