PDA

View Full Version : Quick Statement about some of the Current Issues

Martin J. Schwiezer
29-05-04, 16:12
Here's a quick statement about some of the current issues:

A) We assumed that the fact that pressing Alt+Tab leaves you with a black screen was acceptable for a limited period (3, not 4 months). But it appears that this is too heavy of a problem for too many players. We will talk about this issue internally on Tuesday (Monday is a bank holliday in Germany) and report back after that meeting.

B) The autopatcher has its issues and is definitely a too slow and not very reliable tool to download the patches. Thus manual download (as instructed in the launcher window) is recommended. However, a new patch server will be set up for NC:BDoY, which will run independently from the main servers and therefor won't be limited in bandwidth usage. It will also be much more reliable.

C) The server hardware and the dbase will be heavily upgraded and/or exchanged. The new setup will be tested during the beta-test, which will launch between late July and mid August.

D) Several trailers which are meant to attract new players by presenting NC and NC:BDoY in-game footage are currently in production and will be released during the remaining time before release.

Underground
29-05-04, 16:14
Thanks for the update http://forum.neocron.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dru Blood
29-05-04, 16:18
cool :D

Dribble Joy
29-05-04, 16:18
Spangly.

Not a sticky?

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 16:32
Marty... could you also bring up this C++ Error that a few of us are experiencing at your meeting?

It's stopping people being able to play the game and there doesn't seem to be a quick fix as people have formatted and re-installed etc. Picture below:

Broken Client Picture + Thread (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=99938)

Cheers.

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 16:43
ditto of ]v[ortices post

Judge
29-05-04, 16:52
Thats good. I hope that the alt+tab thing is fixed soon.

I'm glad to see that you're watching the forums and not just ignoring us. :D

ezza
29-05-04, 16:54
thanks for keeping us updated on the situation, nice to be told whats going on.

wanna give us a time scale on who long we will have to wait :D

Benjie
29-05-04, 17:00
Several trailers which are meant to attract new players by presenting NC and NC:BDoY in-game footage are currently in production and will be released during the remaining time before release.

Just a small suggestion,

is Beyond the Dome of York going to get a Cinematic Trailer? In regards to the download version, it could be a seperate optional download.

jernau
29-05-04, 17:18
Nice to hear Martin.

Would it be possible to discuss and comment on the large size and infrequent nature of recent patches and whether it is possible to implement changes in smaller but more frequent chunks as was mentioned after patch 160?

(notice how I avoided the "p" word there ;) )

Tratos
29-05-04, 17:22
Nice to see your gonna at least discuss the alt tab issue, and other than that thinks for thenupdate :)

Oh on more thing will it be possible to organise it so that instead of having to download the patches/have the patches on disc and patch the client, for the NC:BDOY client to come already patched to the current state of development as when the discs are infact produced as i know people would love to be able to just install it and head straight in on the first day of NC:BDOY live and be able to play INSTANTLY :)

Menolak
29-05-04, 17:54
Thanks for the update....

[TgR]KILLER
29-05-04, 18:06
thanks for the update martin :) good to see updates.. and for me having no alt tab is pretty much a pain because of using msn / irc on the background and winamp.. but even more now i got a few techparts and when i want to add or remove a techpart from a sms ( for selling them ) i gotta reboot nc everytime..

only keep hearing troubles with having it windowed.. dark and screens not being the right size and stuff.. hope this gets fixed soon.. but anyway thanks for the update <3

btw @ tratos.. i don't think KK is gonna release NC:Bdoy unpatched lol.. since its getting pretty much a new / polished engine and in fact will be new cd copies.. i am 99% sure they will be "patched" to the level we'r at when it releases..

Houston
29-05-04, 18:13
Requested by Viruz_xx/Viruz/Benjie they just wanted me to add fix the fucking drones.

phunqe
29-05-04, 18:30
Requested by Viruz_xx/Viruz/Benjie they just wanted me to add fix the fucking drones.

I am quite sure MJS interpreted the profanity as "Can you please have a look at it". :rolleyes:

Ulle
29-05-04, 19:58
Regards to the Alt+Tab issue, please take a look at http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=99936 and see if this helps with you playing the game.

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 20:33
make that thread a sticky ulle.

amfest
29-05-04, 20:40
Well I can only hope that when they fix the alt-tab problem that it also fixes my problem of not being able to start neocron at all. I can never reach the config or anything .. the window with neocron in the title bar comes up and just disappears. I can't even load the offline tutorial. I've reinstalled a few times and on the last install I checked the offline tuturial a several times through the patches and it loaded up . . . . so something done in the latest patches has destroyed my ability to even load neocron. :(

Omnituens
29-05-04, 20:55
Bigup to MJS, you are the win.

Alt-tab doesnt really affect me, i run in window mode most of the time anyway.

garyu69
29-05-04, 21:29
Thanks MJS, much appreciated.
Martin, would you be able to inform us if Reakktor will be at ECTS in the UK? It would be a perfect oppurtunity to promote the game as the show starts Sept 1st - 3rd. And i would love to interview some of you guys there ;)

----------------------

Just a suggestion to those who have dark screens with windowed mode, I use a program called e-colour which came bundled with my graphics card drivers CD.
It basically sorts the colours and Gamma etc and automatically corrects it for games.

I found that with that installed i am able to get the exact same colour performance in window mode as i do full screen.

-FN-
29-05-04, 21:31
*nod* ty MJS - This is simply the genre of game where you *do* sit for hours on end and play it, not a quick in-and-out FPS. Thank you for the attention :)

Zaq
29-05-04, 21:37
good news!! nice one MJS

Odin
29-05-04, 22:01
Thanks MJS, much appreciated.
Martin, would you be able to inform us if Reakktor will be at ECTS in the UK? It would be a perfect oppurtunity to promote the game as the show starts Sept 1st - 3rd. And i would love to interview some of you guys there ;)

There is a meeting within the next couple weeks with BigBen. He probably won't know anything about it until at least after that.

{MD}GeistDamnit
29-05-04, 22:33
I never alt-tab in any game. in unreal2003/4 it makes my desktop bright as hell and I have to then reset the color in my screen propertys. In nc it allways messed up the color as well, and when returning to nc the gamma would be screwed in game. OFP wont let me back in after an alt-tab and all other games I have usually lock up or crash when doing it 0_o . so I dunno it seems like a hard issue to fix even for other developers. I would rather use windowed mode if I had shit to do outside of nc, and let them focus on doy.

naimex
29-05-04, 23:07
thanks for telling :D

Tratos
29-05-04, 23:10
oh btw is there any official word why the emotes are broken? was it a bug caused by the patch or intentional?

amfest
29-05-04, 23:43
oh btw is there any official word why the emotes are broken? was it a bug caused by the patch or intentional?
I can't start up neocron and he's asking about emotes :lol:

heh j/k with ya. Wish I could login to see the non working emotes :(

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 00:08
amfest, since you can't get in to see them not working I'll describe it for you...

People have stopped shouting sex when they kill somone, or as a general greeting..

There is much celerbrating..

btt, nice to know that the alt+tab was known about.. personaly I can live with it..

T72
30-05-04, 00:15
Please can we have a Patch that does'nt ADD more bugs Plzzzzz sometime before Doy would be nice..................... Jarnau said it all Patch 160........

amfest
30-05-04, 00:18
is that celebrating or celebacy? :D

Well the whole sex thing was very stupid and immature . . lol. Funny thing is it was an automatic thing when someone played a tank. I could walk by spies, monks and private eyes and no problems but the major sex'in person was typically a "tank". And it was typically the tank who would walk up to LE runners and hit them with a CS blast which sometimes woudl follow by LOL, or ROFL, or N00b, or hax, or take that LE out, or wow great resists :p

anyhow I just read over this again

A) We assumed that the fact that pressing Alt+Tab leaves you with a black screen was acceptable for a limited period (3, not 4 months). But it appears that this is too heavy of a problem for too many players. We will talk about this issue internally on Tuesday (Monday is a bank holliday in Germany) and report back after that meeting.

Why assume when it's known that people use messengers and such quite a bit now a days on the net. Why assume it was Acceptable? Why not post a sticky poll on the forums asking the community on what they think? and Why not post a Admin message in neocron for a day every so often advising people of the poll so they can throw in their two cents also. Better safe than alot of the community being outraged that something they consider that should of never happened - happened. Besides isn't the forum good for figuring this sorta thing out prior to the event? Just a thought.

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 00:35
Maybe because to make the alt tab not black the screen would have been more work than was needed..

It is realy a minor issuse, your playing the game you don't need to have mesenger's and what not realy.... Want to tell somone somthing, use a DM, want..

If your playing the game why do you want to chat to someone who's not..

See the logic behind the screen blacking out not being a real problem, esp if it's just for a little while..

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 01:02
Amfest I have to disagree with your comments.

Thanny stated in the patch-notes that KK had to divert resources elsewhere to stay on track for B:DOY (aswell as a short-term fix with windowed mode for people who like their alt-tabbing) and now Martin has posted up a quick message just to let us know that he's aware that it may have been a bad decision at the time and that they will be reviewing that decision, which he didn't have to do.

I DO think polling us is a good idea for certain things.

But I think the business critical decisions should be left to those running the business.

amfest
30-05-04, 01:35
yes the decisions shoudl be left up to them of course. No matter what that's what it results down to doesn't it? we the community "can't" command the dev team to do anything. It's about about what's decided in their company. But a poll for things that do affect things like this. Accidental hitting of windows key, Checking a website real fast for info or skill managers, Adjusting voice programs, Adjusting Music tracks (yes not everyone wants to use something like NLpro), leaving messengers up in case someone needs to chat with you or tell you something. (not everyone chats with some stranger across the world). Fine you can exit the game when it comes around but having to exit every single time gets tedious I would. think. At the same time I do agree about it not seeming like a major thing for alt-tabbing. Cause we play the game to play within it not out of it. But I also dont' think I should overlook the possiblities of other people's gaming lifestyles. I know people use alt-tab alot and I know a bit of people would be upset about it so to determine the amount I personally would of put a poll up. *shrugs*

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 01:44
You make a valid argument and I find myself agreeing with your reasoning, but I was merely pointing out that KK have been very sporting about the whole alt-tab issue.

Because KK gave us a very fair reason why it wasn't fixed in the first instance is why we shouldn't really complain about it.

IMO of couse :)

amfest
30-05-04, 02:01
yea I do agree it was good that a statement came out with the reasoning on why it was left this way.

El_MUERkO
30-05-04, 05:24
Nothing in Martins statement I can complain about, I just hope the server upgrades bear fruit and the trailers attract the people this game desperately needs.

Alpha-Omega
30-05-04, 14:16
i'm optimistic about this now :) Thanks MJS, this has given me the confidence in NC to keep playing again. It's statements like this that restore my faith in you guys, no matter how trying it is.

Oh an if anyone reckons i'm asskissing then kiss my libby barrel.

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 16:02
can we get a statement on the damn c++ error

I was up all nite trying out various soloutions and had no reply from support in over a day now, surely u can create a downloadable fix for the 'client.exe' file for those experiencing the problem

Eddie
30-05-04, 17:45
v[ortice']Amfest I have to disagree with your comments.

Thanny stated in the patch-notes that KK had to divert resources elsewhere to stay on track for B:DOY (aswell as a short-term fix with windowed mode for people who like their alt-tabbing) ....

Windowed mode has always existed...

Eddie

Mumblyfish
30-05-04, 18:23
Windowed mode has always existed...
And always rocked.

Lareolan
30-05-04, 18:34

Emotes are broken? Oh GOD!!! PLEASE tell me you finally took out the retarded emotes so people would stop screaming "sex" all the god damned time!

Mumblyfish
30-05-04, 18:35
Emotes are broken? Oh GOD!!! PLEASE tell me you finally took out the retarded emotes so people would stop screaming "sex" all the god damned time!
Hah. My thoughts exactly. All the emotes in the game are a welcome addition apart from "sex".

Lareolan
30-05-04, 18:45
Hah. My thoughts exactly. All the emotes in the game are a welcome addition apart from "sex".

Well, it's very simple really... I play nothing but tradeskillers... I have high level researcher, constructor, repairer, barterer, poker, everything... I assemble and sell/trade rare weapons. Anyone spotted shouting "sex" or anyone caught spamming immediately goes to the master ignore list and they can NEVER get services from any of my chars again... I'm fighting the retards the best way I can! So if the damn emote is gone, that may mean I am not alone in this fight.

t0tt3
31-05-04, 00:27
Great MJS <3 to the fast info you really love us donīt you ;)

n3m
31-05-04, 00:45
dude, the sex emote owns you all.

it still makes me chuckle when I see it

Geth
31-05-04, 01:04
Thx for the update MJS, its good to hear you listen to our rants ;)

As for Alt+tab, I miss being able to use it right now, but I am willing to wait till after BDoY to get the problem fixed. I just print out any NC item stats that I need for referance and I just use REALLY big winamp playlists.

As for instant messaging, we need more people talking in the game, and less just sitting around afk, yakking somewhere else. Its sad to only have about 1 in 10 people in NC actually saying anything. :(

uber java
01-06-04, 14:20

How was the meeting?

Dribble Joy
01-06-04, 14:22
It's half two in germany right now.

Why do people automatically assume that as soon as a day/date is reached, info will come forth immediately.

I will not be suprised if we get a statment from MJS/KK tommorrow, and not today.

n3m
01-06-04, 14:26
I will not be suprised if we get a statment from MJS/KK tommorrow, and not today.noo god forbid

;)

uber java
01-06-04, 14:36
I was just simply asking. Damn you guys, stop PMS'ing.

n3m
01-06-04, 15:02
sorry if it seemed I was PMS'ing

wtf does that mean O_o

Praetorian
01-06-04, 16:38
A: OMG! Well, ok, you will discuss it, but please oh for the love of ... fix this!
B: Sounds good, always use autopatcher, works, but slow...
C: Was about time i reckon, although pluto is not <cough> in any immediate trouble...
D: SEX! I still love the original trailer, except for the rubbish fights in PP... (you will definatly want a fight like the one in fangs promo...)

tomparadox
01-06-04, 17:10
C) The server hardware and the dbase will be heavily upgraded and/or exchanged. The new setup will be tested during the beta-test, which will launch between late July and mid August.

i know this might be a bit offtopic but will there be an open beta? or is it all closed ?

ezza
01-06-04, 17:13
I still love the original trailer, except for the rubbish fights in PP... (you will definatly want a fight like the one in fangs promo...)
haha ya i watched it the other day, the fights in that are nothing like the fights we have now

uber java
01-06-04, 18:54
haha ya i watched it the other day, the fights in that are nothing like the fights we have now
Although it would kick ass to have them kind of fights in places you'd least expect them, like Pepper Park 3, and the weapons/class diversity used in the origional Neocron trailer.

ezza
01-06-04, 18:58
Although it would kick ass to have them kind of fights in places you'd least expect them, like Pepper Park 3, and the weapons/class diversity used in the origional Neocron trailer.
well the fight in PP in the original trailer is in PP3 but the fighting is 2 side standing there AOEing each other iirc.

fighting aint like that at all in neocron(was it like that back then O_o ? )

but PP3 would be great place for the fighting, with that slope leading down to the bottom nice fighting area and the ledge at the aprtments etc

Thanatos
01-06-04, 20:06
About the alt-tab bug (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=100190)

Clownst0pper
01-06-04, 20:08
About the alt-tab bug (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=100190)

Id love to know what codi looks like :eek:

QuantumDelta
01-06-04, 20:37
B) The autopatcher has its issues and is definitely a too slow and not very reliable tool to download the patches. Thus manual download (as instructed in the launcher window) is recommended. However, a new patch server will be set up for NC:BDoY, which will run independently from the main servers and therefor won't be limited in bandwidth usage. It will also be much more reliable.

Sorry to keep hammering on about this, as it is probably not that big an issue for people who are already in the existing community, since a large number of people know the work around.

However, it might be worth either;
Simply sticking the US Updated(fixed) Patcher into the download version, and force /all/ people trying to patch to download it first.

Simply because that single bug, (which is related to patching is fixed by that launcher, but, even though there is a link on the existing launcher's webapplet, it does not make it incredibly clear for people who are around first time.) is probably the cause of low new player arrivals compared to what you might expect.

One of my friends said once "MMORPG Players don't want to do anything for themselves, they want to be spoon fed, from everything on a plate right infront of them."

--

New users most probably get this patcher problem that infinitely re-downloads patch 160 and give up without ever even trying to use the US Patcher bug.
--
It also effects more than just the US version of NC ;)

Dribble Joy
01-06-04, 21:18
At least for the time being put something in the newbie forums or on the mainpage announcments.
Something to get the updated launcher fix more readily availiable, and noticeable, with 'INSTALL INFO: READ' in the title or summat.

]v[ortice
04-06-04, 00:57
AMEN QD.

That really does need sorting.

There is also a file terraingfx.something that never installs correctly and shows up when you click 'check files' on a fresh install. That could do with remdying but it's not really that important.

notneo
04-06-04, 16:10
we may moan we may groan,

but this is still the best thing i have ever played