PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Cyber-punk novels?

Aziraphale
29-05-04, 15:52
I've played a lot of cyberpunk computer games, but I'd like to expand my book collection away from the usual fantasy stuff into the cyberpunk type genre. Anyone got any suggestions or recomendations?

greendonkeyuk
29-05-04, 15:56
william T gibson, neuromancer.

do androids dream of electric sheep, philip k dick.

Richard Blade
29-05-04, 16:36
william T gibson, neuromancer.

As he said, and:
Idoru
Burning Chrome
Johnny Mnemonic - might be in another book as a short story.
Virtual Light
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive

All by William Gibson. His books have recurring characters that sometimes have evolved to "different" personalities, but usually even when they do that, they're the same people that they were.

I've read all of the above and loved everyone.

notneo
29-05-04, 17:28
ok johny mnemonic is in burning chrome anthology

notneo
29-05-04, 17:30
also all tommorows parties

then check out amazon,got quite a few listing

Regret
29-05-04, 17:33
for a combination of fantasy and CP try some of the old Shadowrun books. Though you'll probably only find them in used bookstores.

Max Jefferson
30-05-04, 00:21
William Gibson:
Neuromancer
Burning Chrome (short story compilation)
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Count Zero

Philip K. Dick:
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

Others:
Mirrorshades (great short story compilation)
The Difference Engine (William Gibson & Bruce Sterling)

Those are just the one that I've read in my collection, there are loads more. But William Gibson, Philip K. Dick and Bruce Sterling are some good authors to try.

EDIT:
http://www.klaxon.eclipse.co.uk/sig.jpg
Cyberpunk sig goodness

Nidhogg
30-05-04, 00:45
All of the above plus:

Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash", Neal Asher's "Gridlinked", John Brunner's "Shockwave Rider" (first published in '75 I think, before what is now known as Cyberpunk came into being) and Greg Egan's "Permutation City".

N

seraphian
30-05-04, 01:26
Snow crash is an essential, it's a great intro to the genere, and it explains a lot of the technical stuff writers like Sterling and Williams take for granted that you know...

As the book that invented the term 'cyberspace' and 'The MAtrix' Neuromancer is an ABSOLUTE MUST... as is the entire trilogy (Neuromancer, Cout Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive)

jsut to let you knwo how influential they are in teh genere, has anyone noticed that 8 of the Faction counsilors in Neocron take their names from Gibson's work:

Henry Dorsett is the real name of Case from Neuromancer
Juli (the PP FC on Pluto) uses the last name Ashpol, also from Neuromancer
Lupus Wonderboy is simular to Yonderboy, the Panther Modern from Neuromancer

I belive Rodriguez was the name of one of the mercs in Count Zero

Thomas Gentry is the name of the crazed hacker in Mona Lisa Overdrive
and Kumiko was the name of the Yakuza Oyabun's daughter in Mona Lisa Overdrive as well...

not to mention the Dev named CountZero as well...

so yeah, Neuromancer is influential enough that it affects a lot of NC naming and there are numerous references to the trilogy in NC (I'll make a list somewhere else)

Nidhogg
30-05-04, 01:30
I'm sure I've heard the name SnowCrash somewhere around here too. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

N

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 01:36
LOL

Reading thru that... that was exactly what i was thinking too Nid ;)

seraphian
30-05-04, 09:27
Lol Nidhogg, I knew I forgot a reference somewhere... I think some of the other dev names ahve cyberpunk origins as well, but I can't quite place them...

sytheon
30-05-04, 10:01
ive noticed many of the devs listed in the credits have snow crash related
names.. err, nicknames. a couple of them anyway.

read the names the next time you quit the neocron client.