PDA

View Full Version : THREADS MERGED - Is my Client f00ked? (C++ Runtime Error)

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 14:53
This happens everytime I start the client (see attachment).

Is Neo fucked or what? Am I talkin a full re-install?

I want my mummy :(

olavski
29-05-04, 14:57
Saw that one before, n3m has it too.

In the discussion thread.

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 15:00
Further info:

Done Check files... came back clean so no problems there.

I know what's caused it.

Computer keeps losing power on me and just switching off. It does it really sporadically... but today it's been 4 times in about 4 hours when it was averaging once or twice a week.

Reckon I need a new PSU?

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 15:00
ive got the same fucking message, occurs when u type or use the keyboard in anyway :(

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 15:03
v[ortice] Further info:

Done Check files... came back clean so no problems there.

I know what's caused it.

Computer keeps losing power on me and just switching off. It does it really sporadically... but today it's been 4 times in about 4 hours when it was averaging once or twice a week.

Reckon I need a new PSU?

Dont bother its a problem with the patch, its occuring all over the place, ive formatted, tried a ifferent comp etc. makes no change what-so-ever

btw if anyone has fixed this problem yet plz post the soloution, i know my way around computers pretty well and im stumped :(

QuantumDelta
29-05-04, 15:34
From what you said, yes, new PSU would be the most likely solution.

Could be other problems, but yar... that's my bets for now..

edit;
Dunno 'bout you though spike...

greendonkeyuk
29-05-04, 15:36
whats a psu?

QuantumDelta
29-05-04, 15:42
Power Source Unit :P

and1guy
29-05-04, 15:43
well, once the new patch hit i was crashing once every two minutes (no joke) and it was the same error box you see in the screenshot. (ms vc++.. etc etc) well im using an nvidia fx card and was using drivers this guy made, they are called omega drivers.. worked quite well.. but anyway i uninstalled them and went back to the original nvidia drivers for the card and i have barely crashed.. so solution may be to update/change your video card drivers..

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 16:18
Good advice andi...

I am using the latest Catalyst drivers tho.

When I opened my display>settings>advanced tab, it thought i was using a TV as a monitor for some daft reason. gonna go check some drivers out tho.

@QD... Power Supply Unit :)

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 16:21
ill check my drivers, something probablly got fuked during format process

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 16:43
I just installed the latest Cats... there was a new one :)

Anyway... no change it still don't work.

If anyone can help me pls post up.

I want to play Neo /me sobs

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 16:45
Drivers upto date, no malicous files of any kind, no errors in nc files according to file checker.

still no change :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 20:30
Someone please help us...

What would Neocron be like without Evil_Construction?

Doc Holliday
29-05-04, 20:54
whats a psu?

Passive psi use. GET SOME!!!1111

amfest
29-05-04, 21:05
Passive psi use. GET SOME!!!1111
Pretty sexy ulle? errrr 8|

I hear ya ]v[ortice it sucks this patch doesnt' allow me to initialize neocron at all. Can't do much about it .. it doesn't see any drivers so fails to load totally. :( I hope you find a way to get in. Wish ya luck.

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 21:46
still waiting on reply form support, i think we havr them stumped on this too :(

]v[ortice
29-05-04, 21:50
I'm just totally fucking gutted.

It's a bank holliday weekend in the UK too here and I was plannin' on takin' in the new patch and havin' some serious Neo fun.

Now I'm just fucked.

Bored off me tits.

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 22:16
my advice is to spend some time on skill manager, sort some good stats out for ure char i just made a monk setup with 300 hlth and 99% in all resists, hybird too, but ill have to wait to see how that preforms, mite of gimped my mana a bit though, only got 250 in the mana pool, anyway download kill manager and waste some time on that :p

amfest
29-05-04, 22:24
Personally I'm playing dreamcast games, watching anime and I have this urge to jump on the runescape free servers again and maybe go PK people in the wild heh .. ..arrrrrr suffer by my mith long sword . . .okay so i'm n00bish there. But at least when you die there .. you really suffer since you "ONLY" get to keep your 3 most valuble items on you :p and everything else drops on the ground.

runescape death rules > neocron death rules

steweygrrr
29-05-04, 22:32
v[ortice']I'm just totally fucking gutted.

It's a bank holliday weekend in the UK too here and I was plannin' on takin' in the new patch and havin' some serious Neo fun.

Now I'm just fucked.

Bored off me tits.

I havent had that problem when launching, but I do get it sporadically when zoning. Reckon it could be to do with a conflict between the engine and new DirectX version?

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 22:40
stewey made me think of sumthing...

is everyone experiencing this problem have directx 9.0 or higher installed?

just a thought

steweygrrr
29-05-04, 22:45
stewey made me think of sumthing...

is everyone experiencing this problem have directx 9.0 or higher installed?

just a thought

yup 9.0b.....

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 22:55
could be a failure in the client to adapt to higher version of direct x, that supports the microsoft visuals error message, however im not familiar with game programming so dont quote me on this one

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:07
Now a regualry occuring problem with several people , pretty much needs fixing as it may bcome an issue with the directx upgrade. This message in the link below is shown during game usualy after a few seconds of playing.

After asking a few ppl the problem generally occurs in computers with a more recent installation of directx.

Are there any major computer experts out there who can deceipher a soloution from this evil message which is ruining many ppls half term holidays?
http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1059

SynC_187
29-05-04, 23:10
Sorry but unless I was debuging from source a message like that is too generic to mean anything.

Nidhogg
29-05-04, 23:11
Thread merged.

N

SynC_187
29-05-04, 23:13
Thread merged.

N

I hate when you do that :p

amfest
29-05-04, 23:22
I agree .. when there are seveal 100 topics and all say can't play neocron cause of latest patch it makes the dev team work even harder :p I'm paying to not play a game -_-;;;; that i could play before patch.

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:25
been waiting 24 hours on support, it usualy take this long?

Any longer and this will turn into a leaving thread :(

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:27
ok removing directx 9 and installing the reccomended directx 7, u never know it could help :p

amfest
29-05-04, 23:28
Wish I knew . .it's the first time i've ever had to resort to email the tech support. *sigh*

I'd be okay to leave neocron if I was bored and through with it but it just feels sad if I have to leave due to a patch that forced me out since I can't even load the game anymore :(

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:32
i reckon this should be renamed to the name i chose for the thread and turned into a sticky as its a compatiblity, which will effect both joining of new players and possibly the release of BDoY and by the looks and may need some attetnion. does it qualify?

Nidhogg
29-05-04, 23:35
I've extended the thread name but indications are that this is only a problem for a minority of users (albeit a serious one).

N

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:39
ty nidhogg

SPIKE (pluto)
29-05-04, 23:59
ok just discovered that directx 9.0b does not yet support online play especially in modems (damn my connection :mad: )gonna format and install directx8.0 which DOES support it.

Once again an unlikely soloution, any chance should be tried :rolleyes:

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 00:53
Funny thing is... I never got that message until today.

Patched up yesterday when I got home from work yesterday, and played for a while.

Then my missus played all morning... then I took over about mid-day then it carked on me at about 2pm.

Never happened in-game...not while zoning or with a keypress... just always at log-in :(

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 01:34
well here goes, downloading directx 8.0, if this doesnt work then im gonna have to resort to the worst thing on Earth.....

install nc on my 2 gb hard-drive windows 95 in the attic :eek:

amfest
30-05-04, 01:38
well here goes, downloading directx 8.0, if this doesnt work then im gonna have to resort to the worst thing on Earth.....

*falls to knees

Worship the Ancient Relic of a long forgotten civilization

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 01:46
btw found some info on c++, whatever the hell it is, but didnt have time to read it so no idea if it helps.
click here (http://www.geocities.com/foetsch/borlibs/)

(am i alone on trying to find the problems soloution? haven't heard of the efforts of anyone trying anything to sort it out :p )

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 01:54
I'm still trying.

Sounds like a compiler problem to me.

Something in the code is broken or something we need to run the game isnt functioning or the client.exe is b0rked.

I'm not too au fait with any of this so i'm prolly spouting gobshite.

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 02:04
well the stone wires computer is now installing nc, 30mins to go, and its minimum installation too :rolleyes:

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 02:46
stone wires?

que?

amfest
30-05-04, 02:49
v[ortice']stone wires?

que?

heh . . . . oh fabeled relic

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 03:25
v[ortice']stone wires?

que?

u cant expect sarcasm to be any good this time in the morning

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 05:00
Its official now, ive run clean outta ideas, maybe its our connection type, maybe its our directx version, fuk only knows, just now gonna have to sit and twiddle my thumbs till a patch that fixes it or kk decide there arent enough users for there to be a fix for this problem, if anyone finds a soloution plzzzzzzzzzzz post it :(

and1guy
30-05-04, 06:17
grr.. i installed regular nvidia drivers last night and the game was playing great.. fataled maybe once, but before that i was getting the same messages you guys were.. i log on tonight after work hoping to kill people.. play about 15 minutes and its fucking back.. crashing every 2 mins just running around.. wtf is up??? an answer would be nice.. :confused:

frkline
30-05-04, 07:27
if you have microsoft visual studio installed, sometimes the machine debug manager acts up...

you can uncheck it from startup:
start > run > msconfig > startup and uncheck mdm and uncheck debugging from ie then. there are instructions on the net for this and deleting its vals from registry.

anyways, it used to cause me probs.

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 09:39
I don't got visual studio installed :(

Wish it was simple to sort out.

QuantumDelta
30-05-04, 13:36
Listen....mortice....

That's a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, (no I'm not copy and pasting) really, really, really, really, REALLY, Generic error.

I will put money on it being a hardware problem because of the comments you made about the computer shutting down and rebooting, on it's own.

Likely causes;

Fus(ed)ing motherboard.
Overcooked Graphics card.
Neocron Hard Disk Drive Going on the fritz/dying.
OS Hard Disk Drive Going on the fritz/dying.
And, Power "Source" ( :P tomatoe tomatoe) Unit giving up the ghost.

---
In reverse order of likelihood :p

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 13:45
I'm not 100% convinced it is hardware seeing as other people are experiencing similar results with different symptoms. Although I am ordering a new PSU to see if that remedies my system failures

Nothing else on my computer seems to be affected.

I'm gonna re-install today and see how I get on.

Oh and Tomato has no 'e' on the end :)

I wouldn't mind replacing the client.exe with an up-to-date patched version either. Just to see if the file is corrupt or not.

QuantumDelta
30-05-04, 13:49
v[ortice']I'm not 100% convinced it is hardware seeing as other people are experiencing similar results with different symptoms. Although I am ordering a new PSU to see if that remedies my system failures

Nothing else on my computer seems to be affected.

I'm gonna re-install today and see how I get on.

Oh and Tomato has no 'e' on the end :)

I wouldn't mind replacing the client.exe with an up-to-date patched version either. Just to see if the file is corrupt or not.
I'll be honest and tell you, I'm not really paying much attention to the NC Errors.
They never were all that helpful to /us/ -- and no one ever really sent'em to KK....so..... yea....

Anyway, from the powering down you said -- that's all I'm going on.
Then again you didn't say if it happened in other games.
If it happens in CnC:G - I'd say it was power source.
See; I benchmark everything on Zero Hour these days...screw UT2K4 doesn't need that much CPU/GPU/RAM
ZH on the other hand is the most power hungry game I've played this generation O_O

And yea... I can't spell to save my life :P

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 15:14
Its not hardware, as i said ive tried it on 2 different computers and had the same results.

A similar problem occured a while back on test server. To fix it they patched all the way upto before the hotfix and then ran a file check and hundreds of files turned up as corrupt.

QuantumDelta
30-05-04, 15:21
Your computer shut down /rebooted due to an NC Crash?
Hmm?
Never heard of a game doin that before.
Including NC.
And I've been around how long........?
.................... ¬.¬

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 15:23
ok thx to ]v[ortice i have loacated the problem and concuted a possible soloution.

Problem: Launcher is corrupt (yep its that simple)

(POSSIBLE)Soloution: uninstall neocron then reinstall it and CUT the file 'client.exe' into another folder (copying sometimes causes damage, no point fuking around at this stage, this fix will take a while) then uninstall and reinstall neocron. Patch as normal (hope u have them saved somewhere) but before launching the game move the 'client.exe' bak into the file and replace it with the current one

Seems like a pretty feasable soloution to me, so fingers crossed :p

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 15:31
I think it's the launcher and i'm wondering if NL pro has anything to do with this.

Just re-installing atm.

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 15:36
its not the launcher, ive tried bot NL pro and normal launcher

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 15:54
ok didnt work :(

Nidhogg/quantum or anyone who has a working nc, can we get a patched copy of ure client, its the only soloution i can see

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 16:14
ok gonna patch testserver patches and see if the same problem occurs

[TgR]HusK
30-05-04, 19:56
ok gonna patch testserver patches and see if the same problem occurs

good idea.

Another thing that might be intresting to know is, do you guys all have 'Automatic Updates' for windows running? (its possible it runs withoud your knowladge offcourse).
Errors like this usualy have something to do with conflicting runtime files in system32, possibly has something to do with .NET ? Since not everyone is having these problems its save to assume that its related to a different windows setup... meaning fully updated or perhaps better not fully updated, mainboard drivers, videocard drivers, conflicting file versions, etc. etc.

Maybe everyone can post as much off their pc & os info that we can find simularitys in them.

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 20:21
I've fixed my client. Fucking hurray!

For those suffering similar difficulties here's what I did. I've even isolated what I believe to be the problem also.

Big, Big thanks to BiTeMe for helping me out so much.

Right... after the usual bullshit of updating teh gfx drivers, checking files and the surface of my HD, I decided to re-install.

1. I re-installed using the US Patcher (if you don't know what that is it's a client that you can download and replace your client from your fresh install). I live in the UK, with UK discs, but its quicker to use the US version.

2. Copied and pasted all of my patch files into the neocron/patches directory.

3. Ran the launcher and let it patch itself. (Note: when it asks you to restart the launcher... and it does this 3 or 4 times during patching... on some machines, including mine, another file called _neocronlauncher.exe is created. Delete NeocronLauncher.exe and rename _neocronlauncher.exe to NeocronLancher.exe for it to work properly. Once you've done that, use your neocron shortcut to restart the launcher).

4. Now... once that patching had finished I clicked launch Neo (fucking terrified I was). And it worked. And it worked again. And again etc.

5. At this point I had done nothing other than install, change the launcher and patch etc. I used the standard display and audio option to test-run stuff. So i proceeded to put the windowed mode lines into my Neocron.ini (as per the patch notes). No problems there. Nice new 1280x1024 resolution again in windowed mode :). Client worked perfectly.

6. Fantastic. Shoved in NNL from the www.neocronnetwork.de (sp?) and the windowed mode patch from the sticky topic on this forum (Gamma control works fantastic btw). No problems at all. Neocron looks lovely and bright in windowed mode.

7. I Decided... right now it's working again, lets shove in my key-binds and my player settings in the 'neocron\ini' folder (Player.ini, Keys.ini, Keys.def). Big mistake. Went back to the same problem (Client.exe error). Lots and lots of cursing ensued. Neo was once again fucked.

8. It was apparent that moving the .ini files across was the only contributing factor to the error. It also dawned on me that at the exact time when the client crashes, before the log-in screen appears (see screenshot on my first post), was the exact time when the .ini files are loaded into memory.

9. Deleted Player.ini, Keys.ini and Keys.def from my 'neocron\ini' folder on my new client. Launched Neocron... files are missing.. please use check files etc.
So I did. Downloaded the fresh .ini files (as well as the gfx file that has always been corrupt on install since the 'check files' button was patched in donkeys ago o_O ) and guess what... Neocron works again!!!!!!!!

Still have to test it further to see exactly which setting is causing the problem. My guess is that we have a key-bind that has somehow come into conflict with the client since the last patch. Seeing as someone has reported the same error during key-presses.

I hope this helps you guys as I'm back playing now. I'm gonna re-input my key-binds in stages to see if I can narrow it down further. I would appreciate one of the Mods bringing this to the attention of one of the Devs cause they know shit loads more than me about this sort of nonsense. Anyone else finds any more info on this topic, post it up here for the guys who still can't play!

Doc Holliday
30-05-04, 20:25
and u missed my leavin party cos of all that............ hehe. well done mate. im on ut2k4 now so if u wanna look me up look for Doc_holliday. small h. im around ^^

SPIKE (pluto)
30-05-04, 21:01
Well if that works on my mahcine come to pluto and u get a couple of free rare rifles, very well done ]v[ortice

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 21:15
hehehe.

I really do hope it works for you too buddy.

I've hated the last 2 days because of it.

StryfeX
31-05-04, 05:28
Yargh. I now have this shit going on, too. Happened right in the middle of a fricken OP war. So now I'm laying dead somewhere unable to log in on this computer. But that's why I have a second computer. :D

Anyway. I'm going to completely reinstall and see if I can't get this POS working again. I'll also see if I can't burn the fully patched version to a couple CDs so I can do some testing with the INI and keys.def files and see what pops up.

--Stryfe

QuantumDelta
31-05-04, 13:07
It actually scares me that NC itself is causing system power downs o_o

J. Folsom
31-05-04, 13:09
As we all know, Neocron's code is constantly evolving and trying to take over your computer, it's just advanced a small but significant step ;)

SPIKE (pluto)
31-05-04, 13:25
:mad: ah ffs, loss of c++ message continue of crashing :mad:

Cliffy
31-05-04, 17:34
I've been playing nc on an older machine (P2 300 Voodoo 3 2000 192 meg Ram Win 98 se) and had no trouble running the 197 patch. I haven't been able to get nc to initialize with this new 198 - 199 patch.I updated to direct x 9.0b still no luck. My video card is no longer supported. It seems some with newer systems are having a similar problem tho.I expected I'd need a new machine with BDOY .Just thought I'd have a little more time before I had to upgrade. :(

StryfeX
01-06-04, 00:20
It actually scares me that NC itself is causing system power downs o_oIf you're refering to my post, no it's not. I'm only getting the C++ Runtime error. Which is still damn annoying, obviously.

And quite frankly, if NC could cause power failures under a Windows NT kernel based OS like 2000 or XP, I'd seriously have to think about continuing to support this game.

Anyway. I've reinstalled NC (uninstall/reinstall method) and it's now working. I'm in the middle of reproducing the problem and (hopefully) finding a definitive fix for it.

--Stryfe

n3m
01-06-04, 00:33
strange, I've experienced this twice. One where dozens of those error msg spammed the screen and all vanished before I could read what else it said. and the second time I have a screenie from it in the facts thread.

Have not had for a couple of days now though, didn't do anything (about it)

Heavyporker
01-06-04, 00:49
hm.. I got this unplayable NC thing for a couple days too.. but I read this thread about that thing with the .inis... tried the file check thing, but that just fucked up.. so what I did was, I started NC up, then when the login screen came up, I went into options and set all the keys to default... viola, that fixed the problem..

so no need for a three hour long file check or those fancy tricks, it seems.

]v[ortice
01-06-04, 01:28
QD:

My PSU is causing teh powerdowns i think mate... the C++ error seems to be coincidental. Gonna upgrade my 300watt psu for a 550 soon.

HeavyPorker:

If you had bothered reading all the thread you would have noticed that I could not access the options screen on my client as the error was occuring before the login menu initialised.

You must also admit that if I hadn't gone thru all that nonsense, albeit very necessary in the circumstance, you wouldn't have known it had anything to do with the key-binds ^^

Still good to hear your back playing. I hated not being able to. I'm loving every minute now tho. New patch is splendid :)

---------------------------

Something else I've not been able to work out too. Where as it was the key-bind nonsense for my client, seeing as people are experienceing this error in different ways, maybe other .ini files are causing problems with other clients making the errors appear in differnet circumstances.

Weazle
01-06-04, 01:47

If you're running Windows XP then its NOT Neocron shutting down your PC .... its Windows when it tries some form of "error trapping".

Do this to stop the automatic shutdowns:
- Right click "My Computer"
- Select "Properties"
- Click on the tab named "Advanced"
- Then "Startup and Recovery"
- Untick the "Automatically Reboot" checkbox under System Failure.

QuantumDelta
01-06-04, 02:01
v[ortice']QD:

My PSU is causing teh powerdowns i think mate... the C++ error seems to be coincidental. Gonna upgrade my 300watt psu for a 550 soon.

That was something I rated as more important than an NC error - cuz failing PSUs have been known to short Mobos/Procs/Gfxcards/soundcards/ram/etc :p

SypH
01-06-04, 14:05
I was having this problem too. Then I remembered I had changed something on a Forum mods ( cant remember who though..his post is here somewere) advice;) Whenever I've been crashing lately all my RPOS settings revert to their default places (really annoying) so a mod suggested making the neocron.ini read only. I did it last night and tried to play this morning......NC no worky=/ Remembered what I had changed, unchecked read only and hey presto NC is worky.

]v[ortice
01-06-04, 18:16
@Weazle...

System is not shutting itself down mate. Power just cuts right out for no reason. Bang... and its dead. Gotta mess around puling the plug outta the wall and re-plugging it back in for the 'On' button to work again on my box. Changed the power cable and the plug socket etc and same shit.

It doesn't do it often I might add.

Friend of mine suggested Heat might be a problem so I D/Ld Motherboard Manager (MBM) to check my temps. Normal running... the case is at 37degrees and the processor at 47degrees. Under load it goes up a little bit but not by much... a few degrees (Processor at 51?). I'm using a Thermaltake Xaser III Case with 7 controllable fans all cranked up to full with a nice big akasa fan sat on top of the proccy so I don't think that's the problem.

My last thought is that something is touching the inside of the case and shorting the box out... wire or something. But I would have said the power losses would have occured a lot more often if that was the case.

Still... gonna get another PSU and hope like hell :)

StryfeX
01-06-04, 19:05
Ok, I've managed to manually reproduce this C++ runtime error. Before I get into the steps I used to reproduce this error, let me just say that once this happens, it seems to affect files NOT IN THE NC DIRECTORY. I have compared a broken install to a known working one, and there are NO DIFFERENCES in any files other than a couple INI's and LOG's. My theory thusfar goes like this: when NC shits itself in this manner, it kills a file (or files) outside of the NC directory. I'm kinda leaning towards this file (or these files as the case may be) being part of the MS C++ Runtimes.

Now, on to my method of killage.

1) Start up NC, log into a char, die.
2) Hit the "Use" button to bring up a list of GRs.
3) ALT-TAB from the game at this point.
4) Search the Neocron folder (mine is located in C:\Program Files\Games\Neocron) for *.ini files.
5) Change player.ini, rpos.ini, rposcolor.ini, and keys.ini to "Read-Only" status. (I didn't want my RPOS windows going back to their default positions, and the other files I simply didn't want changed.)
6) After about 2 minutes after you're ALT-TABed out of the client, get a res.
7) Bring up the Task Manager by hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and End Task the NC client in the Applications tab, not the Processes tab.
8) Now, the next time you run the NC client it should give the C++ Runtime error. At least... it did on my system.

Note, to get NC working again, uninstall and then reinstall it. Then patch it up.

I'm interested to know if this can be replicated on other Windows XP machines and Windows 2000 machines as well. I'm using Windows XP SP1 with all updates.

--Stryfe

P.S. - When I get home from work tonight, I will be checking to see whether any of the C++ Runtime files were modified in the last few days. Also... could a registry error cause this?

]v[ortice
01-06-04, 19:37
Stryfe.

You can force the error. We've established that. But you offer no evidence of the problems being caused by files outside of the NC folder?

You also state that there were no differences between files from a working client and a broken one. What method did you use to compare the 2 clients?

I still have both my current working client and my broken one installed on my machine. So It would be interesting to compare results.

StryfeX
01-06-04, 20:55
v[ortice']Stryfe.

You can force the error. We've established that. But you offer no evidence of the problems being caused by files outside of the NC folder?

You also state that there were no differences between files from a working client and a broken one. What method did you use to compare the 2 clients?

I still have both my current working client and my broken one installed on my machine. So It would be interesting to compare results.Well, I probably didn't explain myself well enough then. Basically, I think that something IN the NC folder causes something to crap out to begin with (INIs like you found out, I think), but then some other file or registry data elsewhere gets corrupted (outside the NC folder) and causes this problem to perpetuate itself until uninstall/reinstall, even if you revert all files in the broken install folder back to their original state.

As for the program I use to compare the two folders, I used one called "Guiffy". It's an odd-ass name, but it's a good program. get it here (http://www.guiffy.com/). I'd also recommend requesting a 21-day evaluation key. It should arrive within a few hours via email. (You can still use it in demo mode, but it will only read the first 321 lines of a file.)

--Stryfe

Odin
01-06-04, 21:22
Just outta curiosity what video cards are you running. Also what does your error logs say right after it crashes on you?

StryfeX
01-06-04, 21:26
Just outta curiosity what video cards are you running. Also what does your error logs say right after it crashes on you?I'm running an nVidia GeForce 4 TI 4200-8X card with 128 MB DDR. I can get the exact model number and driver version when I go home.

As for the error logs, do you mean after it initially crashes and kills the install or do you mean any subsequent attempts to start the client?

--Stryfe

Odin
01-06-04, 21:29
Both would be good. I dropped an email on codi to look this thread over so any information that he could view would be good.

StryfeX
01-06-04, 21:42
Both would be good. I dropped an email on codi to look this thread over so any information that he could view would be good.Ok then. I'll head home for lunch and see if I can't get this reinstalled then kill the client again and gather all relevant error.log files.

--Stryfe

Cliffy
01-06-04, 23:17
My problem:Game won't initialize -shuts down before logos and log-in screen
My system:P 2 300 mhz Voodoo 3 2000 video card 192 meg Ram Win 98 SE direct x 9.0b

The following is from my Error.Log file

File Check: file 'terrain\terraingfx.dat' is corrupt, missing, or has been modified. (not critical)
File Check complete: 740 files checked
Exception created No Driver System available
Error: No Driver System available

CoDi
02-06-04, 12:17
v[ortice']7. I Decided... right now it's working again, lets shove in my key-binds and my player settings in the 'neocron\ini' folder (Player.ini, Keys.ini, Keys.def). Big mistake. Went back to the same problem (Client.exe error). Lots and lots of cursing ensued. Neo was once again fucked.

Would be nice if you could send me these ini files. Until now I'm not able to reproduce this crash.

My system:P 2 300 mhz Voodoo 3 2000 video card 192 meg Ram Win 98 SE direct x 9.0b

File Check: file 'terrain\terraingfx.dat' is corrupt, missing, or has been modified. (not critical)

Found that one. Bugfix will be included in the next patch.

]v[ortice
02-06-04, 12:24
Codi:

Do you have an e-mail that I can pass those files to you with?

Odin:

My system is Athlon Barton 2500xp, MSI K7N2Delta MB, 512 Ram, ATI Sapphire 9800pro GFX card on a Windows XP base.

Where do I find the error logs... I can post those up too when I get home.

olavski
02-06-04, 12:52
Bah.

I'm suffering now too. :o
It only happened twice while quiting NC.
Hope it's not getting worse.

amfest
02-06-04, 12:56

Yea i have a simliar problem. Click on play game and I see the window being to appear with Neocron on the title bar then it doesn't expan to fullscreen .. it just disappears never to be seen again.

No driver system available also. Can't bring up config and if i try and run config the ini will put the premodename or whatever as "."

P3 500mhz Voodoo 3 3500 256meg ram Win 98 1st edition current directX

Worked fine before patch and I"ve reinstalled several times and checked the offline tutorial to verify it was still working while repatching up .. no problems till current patch.

CoDi
02-06-04, 14:12
v[ortice']Codi:

Do you have an e-mail that I can pass those files to you with?

Check your mail.

Mighty Max
02-06-04, 14:52
Heyo,

i decided to look if i might help anywhere here.

So i've done really shit with those INI files you mentioned. ( Half deleted changed values, deleted full, write protected etc.)

It didnt harm anything beside changing keys.def caused Neocron to stop and wanting that file to fix.

Is there anything OS wise common to you ?

Running WinXP, Win2k or Win98 ?

Greets
MightyMax

CoDi
02-06-04, 19:01
]v[ortice just sent me his files. In his case, both keys.ini and player.ini are f**ked up, they have the (approx.) right size, but are just filled with null-bytes.

Provided that it isn't an email transmission error, I don't really know how this can happen (just using plain simple, stable-for-centuries, used-by-millions-of-coders C-library functions), or how the problem should be related to the 198/199 patch (didn't touch that piece of code for ages).

Did you scan your hard drive for viruses recently? Just a wild guess...

Or, are there any 3rd party tools around which modify these files? Never really tried NNL, NLPro & Co myself.

For everyone else with this bug, try to open player.ini and/or keys.ini and verify if it looks ok, e.g. text only. If it does not, delete these files before running Neocron.

]v[ortice
04-06-04, 00:51
Thx for checking that out for me CoDi.

I did look at those files and they looked a bit empty.

As far as my comp goes... I have scanned the disk surface and that's fine. I also use Norton AV with liveupdate (set to weekly scan). So I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have any probs there.

It's just good to be back playing again. Absolutely loving the new DoY tunnels. The AI code for the mobs down there really is challenging. I love the way them buggers drop off and advance all the time... looking for cover if they get shot too much etc.

Wicked ;)