PDA

View Full Version : [INFO] About Lootdrop (i.e. Strange Books)

Callash
28-05-04, 15:14
As you will probably have noticed by now, some parts of the Loot Drop - especially the Rarepart Drop and the Strange Book drop - are not working as intended... again. This is due to a flaw I produced in the new Loot Algorithm, it does work, but in one special case where the Loot Generation should be stopped, it is not. So: We are gonna wipe the Strange Books... again. I am very sorry for that. There will be another Hotfix next week that will (among other things) correct the Loot Tables and the Loot Algorithm. This Patch will also wipe the Strange Books.

PS: The same flaw is also on Testserver ever since the new Loot Algorithm was introduced on it.

Dribble Joy
28-05-04, 15:23
I pity da fool who bought his book for 500k.

SPIKE (pluto)
28-05-04, 15:25
oh well a working gun is better than a bugged gun, take your time :p

Spoon
28-05-04, 15:26
Is there something else wrong with the loot drops, besides the Strange books?

Jeros82
28-05-04, 15:29
yes roaches drop full rare weapon, and where telling ya so you can hunt them and use the bug .......

Nuff said.... ;)

Dribble Joy
28-05-04, 15:29
The rare parts drop rate is a bit high.
Also things like the tl80 tai chi sword are dropping.

garyu69
28-05-04, 15:33
i was yet to see a strange book.

I'm just happy with my sexy Filter Heart 2 i got.

woot

Aziraphale
28-05-04, 15:53
Haha, to think all those people on Saturn were paying through the nose for one.

Jest
28-05-04, 16:02
Hehe I saw some one selling them on trade yesterday and I thought to myself, no way I'm buying that they will probably just wipe em again. :p Callash I don't understand, how come the loot drop system is always so hard to tweak?

Callash
28-05-04, 16:04
Callash I don't understand, how come the loot drop system is always so hard to tweak?
Because it is like Jenga... Even though the system is pretty simple, and all you have to do is pull out wooden sticks, that stupid tower still keeps collapsing on you :p

Spoon
28-05-04, 16:11

That's what I was wondering, if that's a bug or feature....

Lafiel
28-05-04, 16:14
Because it is like Jenga... Even though the system is pretty simple, and all you have to do is pull out wooden sticks, that stupid tower still keeps collapsing on you :p

LOL!! great analogy

Lev
28-05-04, 16:18
I knew it was too good to be true :) oh well, do me a favor and dont fix it till at least next sunday since i wont be playing till then :)

Jeros82
28-05-04, 16:23

Jenga > all :p

sir retail
28-05-04, 17:32
The rare parts drop rate is a bit high.

:( boehoeoeoe why did i only found like pipes and wood and trash..

and now its gonne be fixed. :(

me no luckey

Archeus
28-05-04, 18:50
Sold mine for 50k.. they will probably want the cash back -_-

jiga
28-05-04, 18:58
The rare tech drop is really low for me. I got literally 10 rareparts from hunting WBs using a trike for 3 hours

Archeus
28-05-04, 19:14
The rare tech drop is really low for me. I got literally 10 rareparts from hunting WBs using a trike for 3 hours

I have found by holding onto as many dots as possible gets better loot drop.

Brammers
28-05-04, 19:29
Argh Dam....after getting 2 books, looks like I'll be putting "Return to Sender" on them!

[TgR]KILLER
28-05-04, 19:32
i

just

spended

the

whole

fucking

day..

hunting fucking firemobs after 6 hours i finaly got a fucking book.. and your destorying them once again ? wtf fucking test shit before you put it ingame them for crying out loud you'v been fucking around with the strange book drops for 6 months now get it bloody fixed already.. pissing me off.. why do i even bloody bother.. next time i aint even gonna try because you just KNOW its gonna be whiped once again :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mumblyfish
28-05-04, 19:38
Dpopd.

Dribble Joy
28-05-04, 20:49
I got about one tech/imp out of every wb i killed.

Maybe i was just lucky.

Pfehh
28-05-04, 21:30
Yeah, I think that was lucky. From several hours hunting rares last night, turned up about 6 rare parts, and 1 strange book.

Bl@zed
28-05-04, 21:54
okay, one question, will the terminator run be added to the game as well, since the strange books will be fixed?

or will eveyrone who gets a book just be stuck with it for months until the run is implemented...

Judge
28-05-04, 22:11
Imp drops seems to be up... but Techs seems to be the same if not lower for me... but then maybe I was just having a bad day. Thing is with tech drops its impossible to say after just one session if the droprate is up or down, you really have to hunt everyday for like a week before and after patch then you can decide. :p

jiga
28-05-04, 23:09
I have found by holding onto as many dots as possible gets better loot drop.
dots? :confused:

Dirk_Gently
29-05-04, 00:56
I have got no rares from warbots in about 3 hours hunting.

I want you to know that I hate all of you who are getting high drop rates. :mad:

Callash
29-05-04, 01:00
KILLER']wtf fucking test shit before you put it ingame them for crying out loud
We did, we put it on Testserver about 3 TS Patchlevels ago and asked everyone to extensively test the Mob drop. Nobody reported anything.

Menolak
29-05-04, 02:52
Wow, Jenga...haven't heard that name in a few years...no way you are under 30 years old, Callash..:)

Drexel
29-05-04, 03:28
Are you gonna leave the Filter Heart 2 drop rate as is, & if its wrong are you gonna delete those too ?

Also Slot enhancers v0.90 drop alot in the first tunnel, (every second mob) is this intended ? If not you gonna wipe that,

Please dont just delete shit with out telling us is we spend all our time looking for them thinking everything has been tested coz it was on the test server for fucking months.

Did the idiots using the test server test anything, or did they all just stand in PP punching each other with 'The Dentist' giggling like schoolgirls ? :mad:

Dribble Joy
29-05-04, 03:49
I tested loot drops (on WBs) on TS.
The rate that imps and techs dropped was not like it is on retail.
Today I spent about 3 hours hunting in J_01, and got about 15 techs, 15 imps and 5 books.
On TS I came across normal (Ie. pre patch retail) drop rates for imps and techs, and two books in all the time I spent on it.

jernau
29-05-04, 07:19
We did, we put it on Testserver about 3 TS Patchlevels ago and asked everyone to extensively test the Mob drop. Nobody reported anything.
Remind me who's paying who here and what build-state this game is at?

Xaru
29-05-04, 10:00
As mentioned before, the drop rate on the test server was different. So stop whining and live with it. Its not the end of the world. I personally appreciate the new loot system. Cause when it woks, alot more good things can be done. So be patient and report what you find weird.

Xaru

Maarten
29-05-04, 11:58
If the current system is so unstable it keeps "collapsing" after each change, are you going to rewrite it for BDoY?

Xaru
29-05-04, 12:32
If the current system is so unstable it keeps "collapsing" after each change, are you going to rewrite it for BDoY?

Well, it is a rewrite, thats why it has still some unexpected flaws. But i bet it will be sorted out.

Xaru

Mighty Max
29-05-04, 12:45
The testserver had the most traffic i had seen for those last 3 patches.

I dunno what went wrong, several high level mobs were killed while i was around, and noone called OMG, a strange book. So i dont know why that prob did not get noticed on the TS.

Hrm, KK can only do sthg about the things they know about. Several (hundreds) volunteer helpers didnt notice that error, so its not a shame, that the KK-testers didnt find it too.

Remember, we, the community, called for the Testserver, that WE could take a look to find the errors kk doesnt. So WE failed the same KK did. Nothing we can complain now imho.

Benjie
29-05-04, 12:48
Thats because all people ever test on the server is "resists". :rolleyes:
Oh, and weapon balance for nerf threads of course.

IMO people should have to apply for the Test Server. Cap there character Automaticly as an enticement, and Ban them from it if they are not doing there Job.
Make posts on the ingame forums of exactly what needs testing.
Then none of this will ever happen.

jernau
29-05-04, 12:53
Max - I'm not complaining that the bug got through - these things happen. I do find it distasteful though that KK would try to imply that it was the player's fault in some way.

A large part of the reason these things don't show up the TS is because of the way it's version control is managed. The TS builds are not representative of those on the retail servers, they are constantly diverging and only once to my knowledge has the TS ever been re-synchronised to the live build. I know you have some software engineering experience and I'm sure you can see why this practise is bad and will inevitably lead to these kind of problems.

Mighty Max
29-05-04, 12:57
I agree to that Jernau,

yet it doesnt bring anyone anything if we do the same and moan about KK, lets wait for teh fix.

jernau
29-05-04, 12:59
Thats because all people ever test on the server is "resists". :rolleyes:
Oh, and weapon balance for nerf threads of course.

IMO people should have to apply for the Test Server. Cap there character Automaticly as an enticement, and Ban them from it if they are not doing there Job.
Make posts on the ingame forums of exactly what needs testing.
Then none of this will ever happen.Yes the TS should be invite only
No there is no call for automatic capping. That just means no low-medium level things are looked into.
Yes there should be guidance and requests from the devs on what to test.

In addition -
TS forums should only accessable to testers
Testers should be under an NDA to allow content testing in private
A standardised fault report and logging system should be implemented there

Then there are the more technical issues mentioned above.

/edit - @max - I know I'm being negative atm but I think I have many good reasons to be. "Waiting for the fix" isn't working.

Brammers
29-05-04, 14:34
I did some testing on test server for loot drops, and not once did I come across a strange book. The first test server patch (199) with the new loot algorithm, wasn't dropping hardly any rares. Patch 200+201 everyone spent testing the tunnels. Either patch 201 or 202 I re-tested the loot algorithm, and found it was back to retail levels.

Anyway, this is what we did with the strange books last night...

Nuski
29-05-04, 15:11
I have to say i am not very impressed by the "Blame the ppl on the test server" statement, i tried to test everything possible. I even posted the loot drops on the facts and my findings were that the loot was absolute crap on most if not all the high level mobs i tested. I never saw a single book and i killed alot of high level mobs.

I know there are alot of ppl who do use the test server for completely wrong reason but in the same respect there is also alot trying there hardest to make this game how it should be. Instead of thanks they get the blame, personally i think the little time i get to play neocron will be on retail if this blame culture continues.

Xaru
29-05-04, 16:06
I have to say i am not very impressed by the "Blame the ppl on the test server" statement,
It wasnt a blame. It was just a statement, that even with pointing out the new loot algorithm and special attention by the testing users to that information, noone came across the weird drop rate we now have on the retailserver. So dont feel insulted, it was just to point out, that there was a special attention to that new algorithm. That there now is a faulty drop rate on the retail server is unfortunate, but it is there, and i am confident, that Codi or Callash or whoever is responsible for that code will fix it eventually. And i assume it has high priority, because its essential to the games economic system. So chill out everyone and enjoy those many strange books you find. Dont forget to read em all :)

Xaru

jernau
29-05-04, 16:20
It reads like blame. So either that was their meaning or they have another communications problem. Either way people have a right to be upset.

Just because you still want to trust them doesn't mean anyone else will.

Nidhogg
29-05-04, 17:02
Jernau, you are reflecting your own negativity into the nuances of a post written in someone's second language. You're a clever bloke, do you really believe that KK are blaming you for having problems with their software?

N

jernau
29-05-04, 17:05
Fair point, I had forgotten Callash isn't English.

It's not the first time this impression has been given though, whether deliberately or not.

/edit - I just read Martin's sticky and have to say that this is a good sign. Hopefully I can be less negative next week.

{MD}GeistDamnit
29-05-04, 21:54

Then how was a problem found in retail? If people on the TS aren't being honest and testing right, then it should be a closed server you have to sign up for and be a valuable/trustworthy member of the community.

I hunted for about 4 hours last night, and got maybe 6 rare parts and 3 imps, no book :/

DigestiveBiscui
30-05-04, 01:24
callash

will filter 2's stay in-game?

seeing as they are dropping nicely - IE, loads

]v[ortice
30-05-04, 01:27
callash

will filter 2's stay in-game?

seeing as they are dropping nicely - IE, loads

I bloody hope so. I bought mine for a lot of money before this patch and I'm not giving that up for anyone.

Geth
31-05-04, 01:16
Hearing they will have to be removed, I don't feel so bad that I couldn't find any strange books. :D I did notice the Rarepart increase, but it only happened for "L" tech parts. So much so, I barely found anything but "L" parts. Oh well.. *shrug*

nobby
31-05-04, 01:37
where do you guys find your filter heart 2's?

Eddie
31-05-04, 01:59
where do you guys find your filter heart 2's?

Are we implying that you want to exploit the system, whilst it's in this current state?

Eddie

nobby
31-05-04, 02:00
exploit............right.....
im just asking where i can find these items, never found them before, thought they got rid of them after beta tbh.

n3m
31-05-04, 02:01
I've had 0 filter 2s, 1 strange book, and about the usual amount of tps in a few hours hunting. :confused:

Eddie
31-05-04, 02:02
exploit............right.....
im just asking where i can find these items, never found them before, thought they got rid of them after beta tbh.

.. which is why lots of people have owned FH2s in retail.

And in answer to your question, they have conventionally dropped on Terror Raptors and Maulers.

Eddie

nobby
31-05-04, 02:07
k thx

btw, where it says in the patch notes how to get neocron in window mode, its makes the client.exe screen come up as a window but its black then stops responding.
i tried putting it back to normal, un-windowed but it now does the same and crashes, any help? :confused: :wtf: :mad: :angel: :confused: 8| :eek: :(

Morganth
31-05-04, 02:33
In regards to WB drops, today I went out to hunt WB for an hour (as I normally do) and in that hour I got 7 techs, 9 Imps and 1 Strange book, whereas before the patch with the same char/kit/setup and for one hour I would get 17-25 techs and maybe an imp if I was lucky. IMO imps should drop as a bonus to techs, rather than it being the other way round like it seems to be atm.

nobby
31-05-04, 02:36
morganth, could u help me with my client prob?

Morganth
31-05-04, 02:42
morganth, could u help me with my client prob?

My bro had this, the only thing you can do is reinstall NC and repatch it I guess.

nobby
31-05-04, 02:45
i did 5 mins ago and because of a million checksum errors.........i aint doing it again!

Morganth
31-05-04, 02:46
i did 5 mins ago and because of a million checksum errors.........i aint doing it again!

If thats coming up in the auto-patcher what you have to do is manually delete all the files it says are corrupt, run Check Files and then let the auto-patcher re-install each of them.

nobby
31-05-04, 02:49
k thz

SorkZmok
01-06-04, 15:24
Warbot techpart drop seems to be pretty fair. Loot drop is shit though, they barely drop good junk now.
And the rare implant droprate is way too high.

Was hunting for some time today and ended up with about 20 rareparts, some junk and about 30 rare implants. Dunno how many warbots i killed though, must've been about 50.

tomparadox
01-06-04, 16:42
Also Slot enhancers v0.90 drop alot in the first tunnel, (every second mob) is this intended ?

they better not those only garenty like 1 slot i think O_o . but in the lower lvls i think in 2 or 3 ultimas drop.

nobby
02-06-04, 18:34
if you dont want your slot enhancers sell them at yo's for 8.5k! :) :lol: :)

jiga
03-06-04, 00:48
Why are people complaining about the FH2 drop? They aren't that special TBH and just coz they used to be rare doesn't mean that they should stay that way.

Lanigav
03-06-04, 01:44
Amen to that. I'm glad FH2 drops are better now, though I still haven't gotten one yet.

At any rate, can you justmake the Terminator drop as normal tech parts for now until you get the strange book drop and run sorted? Its almost been a year since it was first supposed to be introduced. :p

uber java
03-06-04, 21:40
If I remember, the amount of XP/Loot you get from Mobs on the test server was always higher than normal. Or was this changed back to normal when they patched with the new Loot Algorithim?

Promethius
04-06-04, 15:46
As you will probably have noticed by now, some parts of the Loot Drop - especially the Rarepart Drop and the Strange Book drop - are not working as intended... again. This is due to a flaw I produced in the new Loot Algorithm, it does work, but in one special case where the Loot Generation should be stopped, it is not. So: We are gonna wipe the Strange Books... again. I am very sorry for that. There will be another Hotfix next week that will (among other things) correct the Loot Tables and the Loot Algorithm. This Patch will also wipe the Strange Books.

PS: The same flaw is also on Testserver ever since the new Loot Algorithm was introduced on it.

Only one thing that confuses me. You say the problem with the drop rates is ALSO on the testserver. Now thinking logicaly, when you implemented the new algorithm to the test server, did you notice the problem then? Cuz I'd think that it would be put onto the test server, checked, then placed into retail. But to me it sounds if you did it backwards. (i.e. Put it on retail and then noticed it was also happening on the test server.

P.S. Not flaming or insulting, just curious as to the process of how patches hit retail.

-Prom

Callash
04-06-04, 15:48
The Problem was on Testserver, but wasn't noticed because nobody thoroughly tested the drops.

winnoc
04-06-04, 15:55
It's because people don't use the testserver to test the new features, most of them just test whatever weapon got the highest powerboost, which new items give them an edge in pvp, and then they shut up about bugs or "features" they can use and start loming to use them in retail.

I think they should remove everyone from testserver, and only let gm's in to thoroughly "test" the new changes.

Right now it's just an advanced "skillmanager" and "i wanna map the tunnels ahead of the patch, and whatever" to people.

Promethius
04-06-04, 15:58
The Problem was on Testserver, but wasn't noticed because nobody thoroughly tested the drops.

Note- I've never been on the test server

When patches hit the test server do GM's directly test them or is it up to the participants of the testserver? (if not both)

-Prom

Mighty Max
04-06-04, 16:08
The last time i logged there directly after a TS-Patch we went through the new zones and meet several GMs and even Devs

*winks to Killerbunneh, Thanatos, Farril*

They even answered some questions, although they did not want to send me a map of the Tunnels :p

We were a group of 4 (2 PPUs 1APU 1 Tank) exploring through there and checking the interconnections ;)

Gunslinger
04-06-04, 18:11
Does this mean that any books i have collected will be wiped???
If so how is this fair when MC5 parts gathered before the wall was removed werent wiped???

jernau
04-06-04, 18:14
Does this mean that any books i have collected will be wiped???
If so how is this fair when MC5 parts gathered before the wall was removed werent wiped???Because there was a public announcement months ago that there might be issues with this and that books may well need to be wiped.

If your are collecting them that ought to be a pretty big hint it's not working as intended.

MC5s were wiped when the area wasn't working as intended. Once people were able to hunt there legitimately they were left in.

Gunslinger
04-06-04, 18:25
I still have MC5 parts looted from before wall was taken down and i know numerous players with MC5parts/full imps from this time also.

jernau
04-06-04, 18:29
I still have MC5 parts looted from before wall was taken down and i know numerous players with MC5parts/full imps from this time also.
That's because at that point it was working as intended. KK subsequently changed the rules.

Should they also wipe all rares after the TL reworks because the mobs might have been killed with guns that do less damage now or which are no longer available to the chars that killed them?

Gunslinger
04-06-04, 20:16
Well if it was working as intended then kk wouldnt have changed it.

jernau
04-06-04, 20:19
Well if it was working as intended then kk wouldnt have changed it.
Things change, even in Neocron.