PDA

View Full Version : Dear ReaKKtor - I know how much you love claustrophobia...

Mumblyfish
27-05-04, 15:53
But please, please, please allow people who aren't monks or tanks to enter your high-level caves. Hiding spots are always nice. Straight tunnels where you just stand and shoot reek of bad level design, and to be frank, favouritism. It's possible to make something difficult without resorting to this shit.

Lots of love,
Mumblyfish

hinch
27-05-04, 16:20
the tunnels are quite hard then ? :)

naimex
27-05-04, 16:25
the tunnels are quite hard then ? :)

Well, I wouldn´t say they´re hard..

but I would suggest you take the mobs 1 at a time, preferably with a guy who can clone ammo, since you cant carry enough ammo to clean 1 lvl.

LiL T
27-05-04, 16:27
Went in with my pe when out 2 seconds later :lol:

Radamez
27-05-04, 17:10
On my rifle spy I managed to survive the top level (albeit accompanied by a tank and PPU :p) but I got absolutely minced, within 2 seconds on the next level down :(

They could be a little more spacious, since it's only large teams that are going to stand a chance on the lower levels.. remember even if you clear the whole lot, you've got them all to contend with again on your way back up :p

Judge
27-05-04, 17:23
Hehe... I can't wait to get a team going and mince through the tunnels.

How large are they overall? Do all the tunnels connect with the other entrances, or are they just single dungeons?

deac
27-05-04, 17:38
ppu and bootes the pistol spy owned lvl 2

Radamez
27-05-04, 17:40

How large are they overall? Do all the tunnels connect with the other entrances, or are they just single dungeons?

I believe it's a large underground network of zones connecting to one another,not sure exactly how many zones it spans over though.

Morganth

I think they all interconnect, as one of the floors leading from the I_12 entrance is made up of about 5 other passages that go up, with one going down. So I guess they are all linked.

And some of the mobs have AoE weps which makes it even more fun to try and hide in.

ou7blaze
They look like theyre single coz at the ends of some of it there are wooden planks so I guess that's it ...

-FN-
27-05-04, 18:41
Basically, all "end-game" hard stuff will only ever be something you do with a PPU. That's fucking retarded but hey, what're you gonna do? You can't make people be more creative. Hopefully, and this is a big pipe dream here, when HackNet comes, Spies will have a place where THEY are the 'oh-so-needed' PPU for anything uber.

SPIKE (pluto)
27-05-04, 18:58
Out of interest what r the mobs? doy bots, guards? or sumthing new alltogether?

Aziraphale
27-05-04, 19:02
Out of interest what r the mobs? doy bots, guards? or sumthing new alltogether?

Quite a few new ones, theres some SUPER sexy black armoured robot things with raygun cannons.
Then some cyborg things and DoY guards.
Didnt get any further :p

Shadow Dancer
27-05-04, 21:01
Basically, all "end-game" hard stuff will only ever be something you do with a PPU. That's fucking retarded but hey, what're you gonna do? You can't make people be more creative. Hopefully, and this is a big pipe dream here, when HackNet comes, Spies will have a place where THEY are the 'oh-so-needed' PPU for anything uber.

What if you get electrical surges that drain your health while you're in hacknet, and you need a ppu healing you? :D

But yea i'm sick to death of ppu being the end all of end-game content.

Question for the people who've been in the tunnels, how hard do the mobs hit in relation to MC5?

Oath
27-05-04, 21:04
What if you get electrical surges that drain your health while you're in hacknet, and you need a ppu healing you? :D

But yea i'm sick to death of ppu being the end all of end-game content.

Question for the people who've been in the tunnels, how hard do the mobs hit in relation to MC5?

most of them dont hit as hard, but there are a billion of them so basically its a billion times harder, in some bits. others its simple.

Benjie
27-05-04, 21:04
Screenshots?
MS Paint Interpritations?

Shadow Dancer
27-05-04, 21:14
most of them dont hit as hard, but there are a billion of them so basically its a billion times harder, in some bits. others its simple.

Well I'd like the tunnels to be fun. And mc5 isn't fun for me. :(

amfest
27-05-04, 21:26
Quite a few new ones, theres some SUPER sexy black armoured robot things with raygun cannons.
Then some cyborg things and DoY guards.
Didnt get any further :p
cyborg things????? ceres type cyborgs??? do they walk slowly and look up with a laser shooting up and do a arms out like absorbing power move?? if so sweet I haven't seen those since beta! and I was wondering when they would be put in. But if not . .then oh well heh

Benjie
27-05-04, 21:27
cyborg things????? ceres type cyborgs??? do they walk slowly and look up with a laser shooting up and do a arms out like absorbing power move?? if so sweet I haven't seen those since beta! and I was wondering when they would be put in. But if not . .then oh well heh
This makes me want screenshots even more.

Somebody please post some?

amfest
27-05-04, 21:36
well crap i can't even get in game cause when i click play i see the window start to appear then . .nothing .. . checked files everythings fine .. but I think it's my end. I got a bunch of spyware crap that totally screwed me out of net connection when removed and even when i put the files back it wouldn't connect so I had to do a reset settings from Road Runner and the last time I did a snap shot was in umm OCT i think .. .lol. So I think something happened and now my grahpics on games seem to be messed up.

Updating is tricky cause I have an outdated 3dfx voodoo 3 3500. The tv out/tv in pod is blown <-- lol. Some drives that were put out don't work on my system >_< and I still have all sorts of driver archives laying around so I have no clue what was the recent ones or which worked d'oh! So I guess I"m gonna be out for a while trying to figure this crap out -_-;;;

Archeus
27-05-04, 21:37
What would be nice is a dungeon that requires a droner to fly a drone in somewhere to open an area, a hacker, rifle area or high jumps.

bounty
27-05-04, 21:43
But please, please, please allow people who aren't monks or tanks to enter your high-level caves. Hiding spots are always nice. Straight tunnels where you just stand and shoot reek of bad level design, and to be frank, favouritism. It's possible to make something difficult without resorting to this shit.

Lots of love,
Mumblyfish

They need to make a Sniper type cave where there is a big middle area and around it is a "rim" where the spies can sit and shoot from in safety or something more catered to long distance.

s0apy
27-05-04, 21:46
They need to make a Sniper type cave where there is a big middle area and around it is a "rim" where the spies can sit and shoot from in safety or something more catered to long distance.

not even that. since KK have a boner for making things "class only" lately (PAs, tools, etc), why not make class-only caves? PE, spy and tank only caves - let the dang PPUs have the regular ones, it's all their good for.

amfest
27-05-04, 21:51
why does it have to be a cave?? for a sniper thing .. it should be walking in a ravine or canyon with higher ledges you can walk along. Open to the sky and such so flying mobs can swoop down from above .. the whole thing resets the same as typical leveling caves also so it would be the same thing. Would be awesome to do something like that to the volcano .. go through an opening in the side to come into the volcanic area and some big boss creature comes out of the lava lol. Okay maybe that's going too fantasy :p

Mumblyfish
27-05-04, 22:09
If there's one thing this game needs, it's more fantasy. Seriously. Just because it's set after the apocalypse doesn't mean everything has to be totally dingy and un-fun.

Good idea, Amfest.

Aziraphale
27-05-04, 22:10
Yep, a bit more exoticness would be lovely. Most of the (organic) mobs in NC the mobs are just big beige invertebrates.

Archeus
27-05-04, 22:40
This makes me want screenshots even more.

Somebody please post some?

Here you go.. It is only the entrance area as the place is swarming all over with those crazy things and there are no hiding places further in for stealthing. Also the floors are littered with belts (ooh teasing me :( )

Oh yea, the mobs are smart. So if you hit them from the stairs they come under you and kill you.

Sorin
27-05-04, 22:56
Question: Do they attack everyone, or do they have the same behavior as the Johnny 5s in attacking DoY enemies and leaving alone DoY allies?

Mumblyfish
27-05-04, 23:00
The tunnels are considered a military area and all trespassers will be shot, regardless of faction.

Aaand there you have it!

Parappa
27-05-04, 23:06
It's cool. Fought my way to the 3rd level (crazzy mofos there) and killed couple. (Illegal slot enhancer yay)
Then the ppu wanted me to clone psiboosters and both of our shelts dropped at the same time. Quess what came around the corner just then. But good fun.

Sorin
27-05-04, 23:06
The tunnels are considered a military area and all trespassers will be shot, regardless of faction.

http://neocron.jafc.de/images/icons/icon13.gif

Maloch Octavia
27-05-04, 23:33
Quick question:

I'm a Droner, if I zone into the Tunnels, do I have anywhere I can put myself to launch a Drone, without being slaughtered instantly?

Archeus
27-05-04, 23:34
Quick question:

I'm a Droner, if I zone into the Tunnels, do I have anywhere I can put myself to launch a Drone, without being slaughtered instantly?

If you can stealth, then probably the stairs where you come in. But the mobs have a habit of coming up and checking. Spawn point normally has 5-6 mobs around it as well. Good luck.

Mirco
28-05-04, 00:02
You know guys. Leaving out spaces to take a breather is the only way to make a cave or tunnel hard in NC. With the power of the ppu, there simply wouldn`t be a challenge if there was any space to heal back up again.

Benjie
28-05-04, 00:24
http://neocron.jafc.de/images/icons/icon13.gif
lol! :lol:
Sorin, there basicly hunting grounds. What was with the thumbs down?

Q`alooaith
28-05-04, 00:31
Once again we have proof that our idea's do get put into the game..

Sorin
28-05-04, 01:27
lol! :lol:
Sorin, there basicly hunting grounds. What was with the thumbs down?

Are you talking about zone classification or conceptual classification?

Hmm, well either way I don't think it matters for what I meant. In the screen shots there were mobs clearly labeled "Dome of York" which is totally understandable if they are Dome of York made/controlled/whatever tunnels. But I don't see why everyone, including Dome of York allies, i.e. members need to be shot on site as well. Runners are not your average run of the mill idiot. Runners are theoretically supporters of their chosen faction. In this light, they help and support them in various ways. But to turn around and be shot by your faction's guards or in the case of no DoY runner faction yet, being shot by your friend's guards? Erm.......? Sure it's a military zone and needs to be protected from intruders or whatever, but I would think your faction's runners and your faction's allies' runners could help you in that task. I feel alienated and mistrusted when I walk up to something labeled with my allies faction and get KOS'ed. Stuff like that makes me think "Well you're attacking me even though you're my ally.....hmmmm.....well fuck it then, what's the point? Anarchy Breed here I come!"

(this is not talking about PvP btw, for those that might misinterpret this by not reading it well enough)

Benjie
28-05-04, 01:29
Sorin, making them not attack allied factions would allow some pretty nasty exploits.
I can think of 2 off the top of my head.

Sorin
28-05-04, 01:30
Sorin, making them not attack allied factions would allow some pretty nasty exploits.
I can think of 2 off the top of my head.

I was trying to imply DoY bot behavior. They won't attack you on sight if you're allied, but they will fight back if you attack them.

Off the top of my head, the downside that I can think of right now is it would encourage PKing idiots to constantly harass people who are honestly trying to clear the place out because said PKers would be allied to DoY and thus have the mobs on their side.

joran420
28-05-04, 01:37
I dun care...im just glad to have new high lvl(and hard) content

manderf
28-05-04, 03:28
bah just go hunt wbs

Benjie
28-05-04, 08:44
I was trying to imply DoY bot behavior. They won't attack you on sight if you're allied, but they will fight back if you attack them.

Off the top of my head, the downside that I can think of right now is it would encourage PKing idiots to constantly harass people who are honestly trying to clear the place out because said PKers would be allied to DoY and thus have the mobs on their side.
Sorin it *is* exploitable.
It is unfair that a mob with such good loot will be passive untill you "have it were you want it". Due to the limited AI, you would also be able to take on one at a time, which is unfair on other factions. You would also be able to just "hang around" and wait for quickbelts.

None of these are good imo.
Besides, it makes roleplay sence. Do you think America lets any english person just stroll into the white house if and when they feel like it?

amfest
28-05-04, 08:56
err I think these looked like the cyborgs in beta . . . if they are already in game .. my bad .. I guess I don't explore enough :p But in beta they used to get spawned alot in outzone and neocron gates :D

The pic is rather small . . i found it on a site -_-;;

n3m
28-05-04, 11:06
err I think these looked like the cyborgs in beta . . . if they are already in game .. my bad .. I guess I don't explore enough :p But in beta they used to get spawned alot in outzone and neocron gates :D

The pic is rather small . . i found it on a site -_-;;Errm, York troopers? Y. Replicants? :angel:

tunnels are great fun, even though I dont understand why tanks were using doombeamers last night. Dropped my PA when everyone ran off, that is sucky :mad:

amfest
28-05-04, 11:18
they carried no weapons had metal legs and arms that were totally robotic looking and had red lasers coming out of their eyes .. if i recall that's how they attacked also. They would move very slowly. I've never bothered fighting Y reps or York troopers but i've seen pics of them and they dont' look the same if i recall.

amfest
28-05-04, 11:43
yea maybe so . . found these better shots of them. Enlighten me if they ARE in game. lol

Edit: yea i guess they were called Yorks .. . hmm for some reason I thought it said ceres on them when they were spawned in outzone :\

hinch
28-05-04, 12:58
you are correct the same model is used for

y commanders
y troopers
y sargents
york troopers
york soilders
york commanders

i think theres also an instace of them being called ceres york troopers

SilentEye
28-05-04, 16:00
yea maybe so . . found these better shots of them. Enlighten me if they ARE in game. lol

Edit: yea i guess they were called Yorks .. . hmm for some reason I thought it said ceres on them when they were spawned in outzone :\

Not to mention that those screenshots are deffinetly old.
Seeing from he doesnt have a Locked Slot with 34 Soullight.

Garg [RogueNET]
28-05-04, 16:02
ooooh, i remember from beta when there was no locked slots and u only dropped something in ur QB... but u didnt drop a belt the thing just dropped on ground... everyone stuffed the QBs full of milk and candy lmao

Neocrons_coward
28-05-04, 16:40

Lots of love,
Mumblyfish

Are there spiders down there??? If so i am avoiding that part of the game lol

Strych9
28-05-04, 16:56
"WHAAAH. WE WANT HARDER CONTENT"

"WHAAAH. THIS IS TOO HARD, YOU MUST HAVE A PPU"

Seriously people, grow up.

What do you expect KK to do?

High level sniper cave??? WTF??? So "snipers can shoot in relative safety"???

Is that REALLy what this game needs? A place where any class can safely shoot mobs? Give me a break.

ANY high end content will need PPUs, end of the story. If PPUs arent needed then its probably exploitable.

No PPUs means you use medkits. If you can use medkits to survive then its not hard.

I am not sure what you even think is POSSIBLE in terms of dungeons. KK has stated over and over that they expect high end content to be teamed, not solo'd. Sorry, your pistol Spy will never be able to solo MC5.

Now PvP I understand why everyone is so afraid to admit that PPUs are useful, but sheesh, this is PvM here people. Mobs are designed around the protective powers of the PPU.

Last night me in my near capped APU and SLB in his near capped PPU tried to run from El Farid to Escador Oasis. I died only... like 7 times before we made it to Syncon and logged. It was tough. It was challenging. It was how it is supposed to be.

Now I am not saying that MC5 or the tunnels are "balanced." But saying "we shouldnt have to have a PPU" is not gonna bring about any changes.

The game is now challenging, which people wanted, and we see the gripes nonetheless.

No one said this would be easy folks. If the tunnels are too hard, then lets make suggestions to make it fair.

Disturbed021
28-05-04, 18:49

It was like that on the TS for awhile. DoY did not attack allies on sight.
That would allow allies to go through all 26-27 tunnels and decide which ones you wanted to attack. Also allowed them to attack mobs right by the exit so you could escape if near death and zone back in w/o aggro.

You do realize that there are multiple levels of tunnels and the loot gets better the farther you go in, right? So, allies of DoY could go to the best spots unhindered and kill those mobs while non-allies had to work their way down :rolleyes:

Somehow I don't think DoY appreciates allies in there killing them, so you only have 2 logical choices.

1. Allies do not get aggro but lose SL for killing them. As you pointed out you would be allied to them, why would they attack you....then why would you attack them?
2. DoY considers the tunnels to be off-limits and Aggros everyone.

I think 2 was a no-brainer

joran420
28-05-04, 19:23
we had a large team in there last night....I think i died 20+ times in 2-3 hours that we were in there

n3m
28-05-04, 19:25

Edit: yea i guess they were called Yorks .. . hmm for some reason I thought it said ceres on them when they were spawned in outzone :\heh 2nd pic, OriginaL in local :D

Maarten
28-05-04, 20:03
If a dungeon is doable without a PPU, it'll be way too easy with a PPU...

These tunnels are not meant for leveling. Go to the Chaos Caves if you want to level, there you have some nice ledges that you can sit on to shoot down your AoE and let the mobs spawn. Now I wouldn't say no to another type of leveling dungeon but the DoY tunnel network should NOT be one.