PDA

View Full Version : Burning Neocron into a CD ?

El Diablo
26-05-04, 14:20
hi, Am trying to get some guys interested in playing Neocron and I lost my CDs so I need to burn the game on a CD that i can install it in an Internet Cafe.

Is there a way to burn the 1.3 Giga neocron file into a 2 x 700 MB CDs? is there a way to split the file or something? or does copying the Neocron folder into your CD works?

if its possible, can someone host a burned image of Neocron 2 CDs?

winnoc
26-05-04, 14:23
Just put part 1and 2 on one cd, and the rest on the other.
You can install from the cd's then

As for updates, copy the entire neocron directory onto cd's and copy over the installed neocron directory.

I didn't think you would be allowed to install that kind of stuff in an internet cafe without permission.

El Diablo
26-05-04, 14:33
part 1 and part 2? the file i DLed out of Fileplanet is one big 1.27 GB file.

I didn't think you would be allowed to install that kind of stuff in an internet cafe without permission.

dont worry bout that ;)

Spoon
26-05-04, 14:38
Just download the free trial...

It's split in to 4 or 5 seperate files and burn them to CD...

I'm not sure if just copying the folder would work, but if you want to try it..

Burn the Neocron folder minus the Terrian.pak, to CD and then burn the Terrian.pak to another CD......

Download from official site:

http://dome-of-york.com/download/

slaughteruall
26-05-04, 14:41
you can also download a program like winrar and tell it to compress your file to as many files as you like. Then burn those to CD.

garyu69
26-05-04, 14:42
Yeah just grab WinRar off the Net and you are able to split the file into two.

Just make sure that the internet Cafe also has WinRar to allow you to rejoin the files.

El Diablo
26-05-04, 14:53
Yeah just grab WinRar off the Net and you are able to split the file into two.

Just make sure that the internet Cafe also has WinRar to allow you to rejoin the files.

got winrar.. now trying to figure out how to split the file

slaughteruall
26-05-04, 15:09
Should be in the options somewhere. I'm not at home so i really cant help you much. You can also tell it to be a self extracting file so the cafe dont need to have winrar installed.

Slaughter

EDIT: Hope this helps you. Instead of where it says CHD and area51 it will be EXE and what ever your NC download or directory is called.

... open up Windows Explorer and locate the first CHD File - in this instance, Area 51 (filename:area51.chd).

Right-click on the CHD file and select Add to Archive. You will be presented with a window allowing you to specify the archive name and parameters for compression.

The General tab should be the first one to appear in the window. The archive name should be set to area51.zip by default - leave it at the default name.

Ensure that Archive Format is set to RAR (and not 'ZIP'). Notice that the filename has now changed to reflect the new compression type selected [area51.rar].

Compression Method should be left at Store. Seeing as the CHD Files are already in a compressed state, they do not benefit from using other compression ratios.

Next select Split to Volumes, bytes. Set this at 20,971,520 (20MB chunks). This can be altered manually, depending on how many segments you wish to break the file into, but note that creating too many segments means more possibility for CRC errors.

El Diablo
26-05-04, 15:56
EDIT: Hope this helps you. Instead of where it says CHD and area51 it will be EXE and what ever your NC download or directory is called.

were does it say CHD and area51?

slaughteruall
26-05-04, 15:57
That was just the example i found. Ignore that part and do what it says for your download'd file or your NC directory.

El Diablo
26-05-04, 17:08
thanks Slaughter, I was able to devide it into 2 700 MB parts that i can burn.

I think I am doing something wrong though. I decided I will check if neocron_trial.part1.rar and neocron_trial.part2.rar work properly so I extract neocron_trial.part1.rar only to C:\NCtrial. I check the size of NCtrial and its allready 1.27GB ( i havent Installed part 2 yet). so I decide I will install it and check if it works propery and luckly it does.

so my question is. whats the point of the file "neocron_trial.part2.rar" when "neocron_trial.part1.rar" does the whole job even though its size is only 700 MB?

tuxy
26-05-04, 17:27
put it on a dvd

El Diablo
26-05-04, 17:50
put it on a dvd

buy me a DVD writer then

plague
26-05-04, 18:04
yes , it's real easy use one of these archivers WinRARA WinACE, they have multyple archive opitons and just break nc folder on 2 cd's, thats it...

slaughteruall
26-05-04, 20:01
It should of self extracted the second one. It should finish the first one and move to the second without a promt.

amfest
26-05-04, 20:14
yea when you work with split archives you need all the archives present to be able to extract it. So if you're missing one you can have a bit of problems. It's very common place when getting files off newsgroups :p

Just make sure all the parts are in the same directory. Begin extraction and it'll extract to the full file automatically.