PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Betas

jernau
26-05-04, 10:11
I'm curious how people here treat beta-tests of games they have been in.

Options should be clear but please add comments too.

Poll is anonymous

TY

/edit - thanks Freya.

SilentEye
26-05-04, 10:14
Hey,

I have been playing the following beta's:

Anarchy - Online
Star Wars: Galaxies
Ultima Online
Neocron

Liked doing all of them :)
Regards,
Silent

djskum
26-05-04, 10:24
I've beta'd DOAC, NC, and a couple of other games, one I'm betaing atm. I find it a good opportunity to get involved with the game. Learn it, trial it, help bugfix it, meet the people that are likely to play it etc. Oh and it's free...

DjSKum

ezza
26-05-04, 12:20
i mess about in BETA tests so that when it reachs retail the game is still buggy to hell :rolleyes:

but seriously, i report stuff if i think it should be reported, but i aint one of those people who try to get in with the Gms asking if there stuff to test all time kind of people

jernau
26-05-04, 12:21
OK - follow up question to those who do file reports and try to help fix things :

Why do you think that most people are there?

The reason I ask is that I find it varies a lot from game to game and am curious why.

One recent beta I was in I was amazed how few people did anything useful. A GM even commented to me that I was one of only about 10 people who had filed more than one bug.

In another most people I met where actually testing things and freeloaders were generally looked down on by everyone.

The latter game had a MUCH better fault-report system which may be part of the reason but it can't be the only one. I have my own theories and ideas but I'm curious what others think.

Cruzbroker
26-05-04, 13:33
I think most "beta-testers" are freeloaders. I'm not, I even though of joining a group that beta tests games. Found out to be too lazy :p

subsys
26-05-04, 14:22
i see a beta as an opertunity to find out if a game is worth the effort, but while im there i might as well log anything i see, i mean its not like its a massive effort to rock a report into a bug tracker is it?

deac
26-05-04, 14:54
in neocron it was :O