PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why I love great Videogames

Mingerroo
24-05-04, 22:46
Great video games really give me a buzz, and the thing I love most is finally getting around to playing a video game, loving it, and buying it. Half-life for example, when I finally got it (free with my PC) I loved it to bits, I couldn't get over it.

Now, I have just gotten around to downloading the Deus Ex demo, with additional level. :O The game is jaw-dropping cyberpunk sexy RPG gaming! I'm totally addicted!

The best thing about it? I can buy it for a fiver. That's right, five measly pounds because I ignored it until now. :D

Thought I'd share this "I love Deus Ex" moment. The only bummer is, Deus Ex 2 won't run on my computer, it cries about needing a 'pixelshader 1.1' or some such. I even updated my graphics drivers like it asked (I'm using a Geforce 4).

Steve

Napalm82
25-05-04, 02:12
But your using a Geforce 4 MX (Or is that MMX?) Anyways it wont work with that.

And if you loved Deus Ex 1....woo boy.. get the better Gfx card :D

- Napalm

/EDIT But complete Deus Ex 1 first

Judge
25-05-04, 03:50
Yup, I got that feeling when i started to play BGI and then BGII.

Opar
25-05-04, 08:48
*spits on DX2*

Shadow Dancer
25-05-04, 09:01
Yup, I got that feeling when i started to play BGI and then BGII.

hah me too.

I just started playing IWD2. It's sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Having fun with a solo drow sorcerer. :cool:

Sundiver
25-05-04, 09:04
Haven't played DX2. Loved DX to death, finished it 3-4 times at least, with different endings (!). One of the most perfect games of it's kind.

I loved FF7 to death, too. Bought a PS2 last year, and FFX, SSX 3 and something else. Sold it not long ago. FFX was nothing to me like FF7, I didn't like it anymore.

Now I will just wait for PS3 and X-Box 2. Perhaps a PSP or DS.. :) I could play NC on the DS or PSP and do my tradeskill thing at work! :D

ichinin
25-05-04, 09:56
DX2 sucked. Even cancelled my pre-order for it. DX 1 did not suck, it had crappy graphics (by todays standards) but it ruled when it came to problem solveing and adventure spirit.

Who dont remember sneaking behind the back of a large bot to get past it? Or useing drones to disable alarms? Or useing tranquiliser darts on guards without they knowing what hit them? When you got your first cloak (Stealth) and Radar transparency implants and could just walk past guards/bots?

That was a nice game with tonnes of replayability, even though it was extremly linear.

Same with Morrowind, but it was a "do what you want" kinda game. Love makeing mods and playing with graphics, sound, writing scripts.. so much i've considered fireing up Visual studio and making my own game, but that project haven't taken of yet, just dont have the time.

Drake6k
25-05-04, 10:03
Lets see... best games ever...

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Quake II
3. Zelda - Ocarina of Time
4. Neocron
5. Age of Empires - Age of Kings
6. Morrowind
7. Deus Ex1
8. Banjo Kazooie
9. Half-Life
10. Mario 64

I prolly forgot 10 things but that looks about right.

About Deus Ex2, It's a good game. Seriously it is. It's just nothing compared to DX1... but If your computer can run DX2 well then your going to have a lot of fun with it.... even if it's way to easy.

(edit)

DX2 sucked. Even cancelled my pre-order for it. DX 1 did not suck, it had crappy graphics (by todays standards) but it ruled when it came to problem solveing and adventure spirit.

Yes the demo SUCKED but that game was a lot better. :\ If it was called something else people would give it a lot more credit as a better than average game.

Lethys
25-05-04, 10:46
my 10 favourite games ever would be (in no particular order):

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Super Mario World
Halo
Deus Ex
Jet Set Radio Future
Super Mario RPG
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Metroid Prime
Nights Into Dreams
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (the first one)
Final Fantasy VII

Actually that's 13, but still.......

DE2 wasn't a bad game, just an OK one. Considering that it's the sequel to one of the greatest games of all time, "just OK" isn't good enough.

Dribble Joy
25-05-04, 10:50
IWD2 is indeed very good.
OK, it's linear, it's a dungeon crawl, but it'd damn good fun, and actually has a story unlike the first one.

Shadow Dancer
25-05-04, 18:01
IWD2 is indeed very good.
OK, it's linear, it's a dungeon crawl, but it'd damn good fun, and actually has a story unlike the first one.

YES, that's my view of it too.

I also love making my own items with IEEP.

Clownst0pper
25-05-04, 18:02
1. FF7
2. C&C red alert 2
3. Half Life
4. Soul Calibre
5. Hird guns

They do it for me :lol:

Sigma
25-05-04, 18:19
Fallout

Judge
25-05-04, 18:31
Hmmm... I might have to invest in a copy of IWD2.

Shadow Dancer
25-05-04, 18:51
Judge did you ever download any mods for BG2? Their are alot of kickass mods out there.

Dribble Joy
25-05-04, 18:51
I was in GAME today looking at painkiller almost.. longingly.

I picked it up twice, but eventually remembered that I'm revising at the moment and besides, the £30 could be better spent, being a poor student and all, on 3 bottles of Tesco white label vodka with which to drown the sorrows of my failure and complete and utter unworth in life.

Sigma
25-05-04, 18:54
I was in GAME today looking at painkiller almost.. longingly.

I picked it up twice, but eventually remembered that I'm revising at the moment and besides, the £30 could be better spent, being a poor student and all, on 3 bottles of Tesco white label vodka with which to drown the sorrows of my failure and complete and utter unworth in life.
i would've took Painkiller...

Judge
25-05-04, 19:07
Judge did you ever download any mods for BG2? Their are alot of kickass mods out there.

Yeah, I got a few of the smaller ones. But when i tried to dl some recently (when I last played BG I was on 56k) none of them had good mirrors. =/

Also, I cba to do a fresh install as I'm not quite sure where all the BGII disks are. :rolleyes:

Has anyone here completed BG SoA and ToB with a solo wizard? I just love the idea of a solo wizard. Would be fucking crazy after a while.

tiikeri
25-05-04, 19:15
One name: Guybrush Threepwood.

Monkey Islands own this planet..

So my #1 goes for The Secret of Monkey Island 1,2,3 (- IMO 4th wasn't that good)

#2 Starcraft
#3 Turrican2 @ Amiga500
#4 Halflife (i loved the atmosphere in the beginning)
#5 All old Ad&d (SSI) games like Secret Of Silverblades etc. Good old RPGs.

- Too many too good games, can't even remember half of em.
Edit: like i said.. too many good games. Diablo & Diablo2, Warcrafts (_O/ is a huge fan of Blizzard)

But DX2 compared to DX1 sucks BIG TIME.. perhaps the grapchis are sweeter.. but the lack of RP in it..

Dribble Joy
25-05-04, 19:17
'What's that smell? Hmm, must be these shoddy 17th century electrical wirings...'

Shadow Dancer
25-05-04, 19:38
Has anyone here completed BG SoA and ToB with a solo wizard? I just love the idea of a solo wizard. Would be fucking crazy after a while.

Wahhh? Hell yea. No question about it. I soloed SOA+TOB with a sorcerer several times. I even soloed it with the Tactics mod. I also did it with an assassin.

Their are some classes I wouldn't do it with though, like beastmaster, or any type of lame druid. :p

But yea you should solo, it's fun.