PDA

View Full Version : RL > NC ... sometimes ;)

-FN-
24-05-04, 09:05
For many of us in the US, the 'suking' and other Euro-typed gatherings haven't been really possible. For months after SXR started up, a few of us joked about meeting up and doing something... months of kidding turned into Freaky Fryd getting a bit serious on us and a few months of posting pics from the night club he works at ensued. Next thing you know, this past January we had a date and location for our first actual attempt at meeting up. We gave it the label of the "SXR Summit v1.0".

We had no idea who could really make it, but we got more yes's than no's for the weekend Freak picked out so we went with this past one, May 21st-24th as it's an extended weekend in Canada for some holiday. The months went by and the Summit weekend got closer. Next thing you know, we're making our hotel reservations... onoz! we might actually do this and meet the weird internet people...

I've yet to do the final tally and our pictures and videos won't be up until later this week (not sure if they'll be public yet, lol), but over a dozen SXR made it to our first (and maybe not the last) Summit in Barrie, Ontario. I've only ever gone through with meeting two people in real life that I first 'met' on the Internet, so I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive going into all this. Luckily, a number of SXR have been friends of mine for years in college so we went into this whole thing together.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My real point here is, from our point of view, the reason we play this game is bigger than Neocron itself, bigger than KK or any of it's patches (or lack thereof ;)), but more because of the fun and enjoyment we get out of playing with other people online. Anyone can play an RPG or an FPS, but the nature of the MMORPG is, once again to us, to 'meet' people, form a group and/or community, and see what we can do with that, keeping it as fun as possible. You guys who have met up at previous gatherings probably know what I mean. If you feel you've met some cool people here, or if you honestly love your 'clanmates' and think it might be worth it... dude, fucking get together and have some REAL FUN. I don't mean get together and play NC. That's what you SHOULDN'T do. Yeah, that's where you have common ground for sure, but hell, if you're going to go way the fuck out of your way in real life to meet these people, you should walk away from the whole thing with a helluva lot more insight on who your "online friends" really are than when you arrived.

Comie Hol flew in from the UK. Borgoth flew in from Alaska. ghandiswrath flew in from Wisconsin. Many of us drove from the NE US. Techi & Trill flew from freaking Kansas. Yes, many lame :lol: NC references were made, but we went clubbing, gambling, roadtripping, and had an incredible time. Most of 'society' may deem such things as weird, and I know a few years ago I definitely would've too :rolleyes: but screw that. If there's fun to be had, don't let what other people think stop you. And besides, I met a ton of people up there partying that in no way, shape, or form have anything to do with NC or anything online. Just more cool people. Does it really make a difference if you meet someone in a game or in a bar if when you're hanging out, you're having a good time?

I've been in a car for 10+ hours today, driving for half of them so I'm a little tired and may not be making much sense, so I apologize if I'm not. I guess I just wanted to thank NC and SXR for the new friends it's given me and hope that some of you get the chance to bite the bullet and do the same. If you asked me when I started playing NC (my first MMORPG) or even when I started SXR, if this past weekend would've ever happened, I would've laughed my ass off at you. It's amazing what cool shit can happen when you just say "fuck it" and go against the grain and do something fun :)

Freaky threw up a few 'preview' pics from the weekend in our Public General Forum (http://forums.synergyxr.net/viewforum.php?f=7). I'm sure more will turn up over the week somewhere over there as well.

Anyway, um. Yeah. G'night, er something.

Gotterdammerung
24-05-04, 09:11
Kudos to you guys, looks like you had a nice time.

phunqe
24-05-04, 09:12
Anyway, I'm rambling. My real point here is, from our point of view, the reason we play this game is bigger than Neocron itself, bigger than KK or any of it's patches (or lack thereof ;)), but more because of the fun and enjoyment we get out of playing with other people online. Anyone can play an RPG or an FPS, but the nature of the MMORPG is, once again to us, to 'meet' people, form a group and/or community, and see what we can do with that, keeping it as fun as possible. You guys who have met up at previous gatherings probably know what I mean. If you feel you've met some cool people here, or if you honestly love your 'clanmates' and think it might be worth it... dude, fucking get together and have some REAL FUN. I don't mean get together and play NC. That's what you SHOULDN'T do. Yeah, that's where you have common ground for sure, but hell, if you're going to go way the fuck out of your way in real life to meet these people, you should walk away from the whole thing with a helluva lot more insight on who your "online friends" really are than when you arrived.

My eyes are watering.

Amen brother. AMEN.

Sundiver
24-05-04, 09:32
Beautiful post, great reading, and it shows how much more Neocron is than just a game. I met some new people yesterday and had lots of fun with them. This is why I love MMORPG games - the people playing it! After I started playing my first MMO, which was Anarchy Online, meeting a lot of nice people helping me starting out and even taking me into a clan when I was accidently (bug) thrown out at the street at level 2 (even the Leetas on the outside were dangerous to me) made me almost stop playing SP games.

I am addicted to games with new faces showing up every day, and friendship bounding, clans to belong to (or just run solo and still get new friends along the way). AO was great, but I hated the combat system. I went on and played other games, like EVE Online, Asheron's Call 2, and Neocron.

This game got a very unique feel to it, like no other MMORPG. I was away for a couple months to play SWG, but again, I did not appreciate the combat system, and I returned to Neocron. I had a blast last night leveling with people I have never met before, and got about 1 hour of sleep before work, but it was worth it! :)

The servers are not as crowded as they once used to, but I keep seing vets coming back to the game, and that is always a good sign.

Like Gotterdammerung said, kudos to you for doing this.

Shadow Dancer
24-05-04, 09:44
Looks like you guys had alot of fun. I wish I went. :angel:

darknessfairy
24-05-04, 10:26
yeah i must say i went to suking and it was great. it was nice meeting the people i play with, and knowing that they are 13 yr old's lol.

looks like you had a great time as well.. do it again. you'll enjoy yourself more :)

ZyproN
24-05-04, 10:34
Yes sometimes people forget its only a game, Its a game we should enjoy have fun whit each other.

RayBob
24-05-04, 10:53
Nice post, FN. I look forward to the pics.

Ray

t0tt3
24-05-04, 11:06
Yes sometimes people forget its only a game, Its a game we should enjoy have fun whit each other.

8| you really donīt mean that do you? With a playerbase of 95% guys....

SilentEye
24-05-04, 11:19
Hey,

If meeting up with your clanmates means seeing female gamers kiss eachother!

wow!

Gaming actually means you have a life! :D

Garg [RogueNET]
24-05-04, 11:45
rawr!

Candaman
24-05-04, 13:54
oh man sxr are fugly

FBI
24-05-04, 14:24
Looks like you all had some fun, kudos for that. There should be more of these
gatherings, I just can't be arsed to fly to U.K. or anywhere by plane for that
matter. I see this was like a clan get to gether, but danae's are too far out.

Parad0x -FBI

Doc Holliday
24-05-04, 20:28
Nice one fellas. congrats. it is funny meetin the guy or girl behind the monitor but whats more funny is seeing who is actually like their char and who is totally opposite. thats the best part.

Mumblyfish
25-05-04, 01:02
I swear that sounds like the bestest time ever. I didn't even manage to get twenty quid saves towards going...

Freaky, being the big tub of sex and unmatched awesomeness that he is, has posted a few pictures in our public forum...
http://forums.synergyxr.net/viewtopic.php?t=807

sanityislost
25-05-04, 02:07
Nice one, looks like you all had a sweet time

SiL ..:..