PDA

View Full Version : Hey KK, how about balancing something other than PvP?

Marx
24-05-04, 04:58
This is a long post, read before you post or vote.

Ok, We all know that PvP is a central part of the game. I PvP, everyone I play alongside PvP's... I'm fine with it and I'll bitch about PvP inbalances like the best of 'em. But frankly, this game is nothing more than CS with stats.

To be honest, I find no difference between some of the Pepper Park brawls of late and playing de_dust until my eyes bleed.

The part of this game that is supposed to keep it interesting is the role play section of the MMORPG. Now, before you "HUR RP = SUK" people get your panties in a twist, let it be known that I'm not saying you have to RP. To be honest, there's no need for any player to lift a finger and do anything to enrich the enviroment around them... Because it could easily be done by KK Staffers and GM's. Players just need to be willing to abide by the rules and standards. Right now we do have those rules... We do have those standards... But there are also ways to cicrumvent them, so because of that they're ignored.

The best MMO's out there force the players to roleplay quite literally by putting blinders them. Dark Age doesn't allow hostile groups to directly talk to eachother. They can see eachother, fight eachother, lose to eachother, but they can never talk. Of course it makes in-game sense because different lands have different languages, and it certainly makes the whole realm vs. realm combat system that much more interesting. In order for someone to spy on the other realm, they have to pay for a second account, etc. EQ forces people to learn the languages of other realms.

This brings about my first proposal

1.) Have factions limit which channels they can broadcast on. Right now you have four major chat channels: NC, Canyons (TG), TH, Wastelands (City Mercs). You have 12 factions which you can spread over those channels. I would think it would make sense that a person can only broadcast on and hear channels that belong to a faction they're green (allied) with.

So City Admin would hear NC.
DRE would hear NC, Wastelands (CM).
NeXT would hear NC, Wastelands (CM), and TH.
TT would hear NC, Wastelands (CM).
BT would hear NC, Wastelands (CM) --- It makes sense that TT and BT would get the same channels since they're really just two parts of the same original faction.
PP would hear NC, Wastelands (CM).
TS could probably be overrules and hear Trade-NC (this will be discussed later).
BD would hear nothing. They're blackmarketeers and drug pushers. They have nothing to do with official trade methods of any means (force to rely on local/zone/direct/buddy/recommendations from other players).
CS would hear Canyons (Since they aren't really allowed to trade within the City).
CM would obviously hear Wastelands (CM).
FA would hear TH, Canyons.
TG would hear Canyons, TH.

Now, OOC would still exist for all the e-penis+ material. "HEY< HWO U LIKE DYING? LOL" But now trade channels will be seperated, and will force players to further seperate themselves from eachother.

Faction would still exist, and I think players would find that it would work very nicely alongside controlled trade channels.

Help would still exist - though personally I would be happy if it was a moderated channel type deal. But the chance of that happening is slim to none.

Team recruit channels? Lovely idea, but they never really have been, and probably hardly ever will be used.

Now you have seperate forced trade methods for each faction. A Clan who wants to have more business will obviously look for a faction with the most advertising access. So now a tradeskill faction will have to make a tough decision... Join a clan or faction which is the most neutral? or the one with the most access to different channels?

Also, each faction and those able to hear the trade channels associated with them would have their own seperate tradegroupings. (Would be better seen with better populations. :rolleyes: )

There's the off chance that a drastic overhaul to the faction alliances and stuff will be changed come DoY, but a similar "pro-DoY v. pro-Neocron" system would work exactly the same way.

2.) Eliminate or limit ones ability to use "Direct Chat". To be honest, there's no point in limiting factions that can chat on trade if you can simply go and direct chat with people you know. Perhaps come DoY you can make it so members of a Pro-NC faction can't direct message a Pro-DoY person... Because that would be equivalent to spying... right? (Spying would better be done face to face.)

What would this do?

Force face to face contact
Force people to congregate or advertise their service (Can't have that good ole' If you need a job, direct me if you know me bull)
Because people would be forced to congregate/advertise if they want to offer services, more traders would seem to come out of the woodwork to provide service.
Prevent people from spilling the beans (i.e. prevent annoying spy-bitches "hey, guess who's running around MB right now?"
3.) Would it be hard to install some sort of Name Filter?

4.) How about a Clan Name filter? Clans are supposed to be professional subdivisions of the lead organization... Which just so happens to be the faction. I don't know about you, but if I ran a company that had subdivisions named things like "r4p3 ur m0mz", I would either a.) fire those subdivisions or b.) commit seppuku and hope my karma would warrant me a better future life.

With just change 3 and 4, I think people would see an amazing change in the players. If a person can't be named "Lord Poopyface McShittytrousers" and be in a clan called "KING OF TOILET", they might just do something more productive with their time. Every MMORPG I've ever played had a limit on player names and clan/guild names, some more stringent than others... But it certainly beats nothing.

I would expect crappy names from the criminal organizations like BD, TS, and AB (if it ever becomes playable) because criminal organzations more often than naught have crappy names. But having a City Admin clan with an obscene name? Please.

all person/clan names in this area have been fictitional.

5.)Increase the number of dynamic actions. This week the Neocronicle heavily influenced the life of those playing. Having something different happen each week based on the news would provide the same entertainment as a patch per week. Different stuff, different explanation, and a different way to cope.

For the most part, players in this game think mass spawning when someone says 'event'. When they hear get wind of something going on, they polish their weapons and prepare to defend outzone station from whordes and whordes of Warbots and stuff.

While those events are certainly enteraining, they do nothing to really push content and event stuff.

Neocron is supposed to be on a war footing, It certainly doesn't feel like it... Why? Absolutely nothing has changed really. Sure, there are copbots on patrol now... But there aren't extra STORM units at the gates, there aren't Copbots patrolling places where Dome of York people can get smuggled in... Hell, DoY could march an army into the city through OZ-9 and through pepper park before someone would even notice.

We have the zones, we have the players who need to be entertained, we have these holes in common sense. If you need to get extra volunteers to help fill these gaps, hell, I know I would be willing. There are lots of people who would be willing to assist in filling gaps like that who're more competant and patient than I am.

6.) Streamline the Neocronicle and NEMA magazine ingame. You can access the Neocronicle from the citycoms - but it hasn't been updated. You can buy NEMAs from the NEMA stores... But you can't do jack with 'em. How about when the Neocronicle comes out, you make a item akin to the NEMA magazines, except enter the stories of the week into the text description (like recordable datecubes). Now you can purchase the Neocronicle each week at one of the NEMA offices (I mean, what the hell is these places other purpose? It's a newstand!) instead of forcing players to pop offline to look for 'em.

It would also allow you to remove the Neocroncle bit from the CityCom which might or might not make it a wee bit better and less packed.

----

I can add a whole lot more, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it already is. If you want to add your own feelings or comments to this matter, feel free. If you agree, please rate this thread with 5 stars and vote as such.

If you voted and didn't even read this thread... *sigh*

naimex
24-05-04, 05:07
ok, I finally made it through the large masses of text..

and to be honest, I can do nothing but agree with you.

Kasumi
24-05-04, 05:07
I agree with everything you have said.. These things should be worked on.. Especially adding a *Name Filter*.. But I agree with everything! 5 Stars! ^^ Some people play for PvP in MMORPGs and some for Roleplay.. REakktor should focus on making both PvP and Roleplay *balanced* and I think it is time for Roleplay to be work with..

ou7blaze
24-05-04, 05:30
Didn't real through just kind of skimpewd but 5 stars mate.

TheGreatMilenko
24-05-04, 05:34
[ edited ]

Marx
24-05-04, 05:43
[ edited ]
What's the point of having a City to play in in this game? What's the point of factions? What's the point of having names, clans, or any of the chat applets?

=/

TheGreatMilenko
24-05-04, 06:02
What's the point of having a City to play in in this game? What's the point of factions? What's the point of having names, clans, or any of the chat applets?

=/

there isnt a point thats the point :p

Marx
24-05-04, 06:02
there isnt a point thats the point :p
Ok, so how about we all stop playing the game since there's no point.

:wtf:

SorkZmok
24-05-04, 06:11
<3 5 stars.

Can only agree with you, especially those chat changes i really like.

About that neocronicle thing, i think KK should put more NPCs into the game. I mean how had could it have been to put down some NPCs saying "Damn CA! Closed down Yakarmas, now i have to find some other guy selling that stuff!". Wouldve prevented ppl screaming WTF over trade every 5 minutes. (Correct me if i'm wrong and there are NPCs, i didnt see any)

Theres just not enough NPCs talking about actual things. All i can think of now are those guys and the doc in OZ4. Those are real cool though.

And why is the NEMA in P2 closed? At least the one on uranus is. :(

amfest
24-05-04, 06:15
very nice .. RP should be worked on. name filters would be nice.

yea more npcs would be nice . .but you know what .. .I want wandering NPCs like copbots. Just NPC citizens that can walk around the city and various areas not just copbots. Wandering nomads in the wastes would be good.

Biznatchy
24-05-04, 06:16
[ edited ]

I dont think you understand what RP is. Yes the old elf and fairy crap is gay. But RP does not have to "fukin g4y". Some parts of RP is killing any enemy faction runner you see. That is roleplay, nice clear to the point role play. You are killing the people your faction is at war with.

Jumping in a fight with people that are green with you against runners that are red to you is roleplay.

You are roleplaying everyday you just dont understand what RP is.

naimex
24-05-04, 06:19

yea more npcs would be nice . .but you know what .. .I want wandering NPCs like copbots. Just NPC citizens that can walk around the city and various areas not just copbots. Wandering nomads in the wastes would be good.

@WSOUNDMGR : Sound File Open failed:sound\enemies\camelmutant\idle.wav

can´t wait to meet one of those

TheGreatMilenko
24-05-04, 06:23
i thought RP was where people would be like
"help save me the evil mutants are after me they alrdy killed my brother"
"i need to get to my space ship to get off this dreaded planet"
sry for the inconveinence :angel:

naimex
24-05-04, 06:27
sry for the inconveinence :angel:

I actually did that.. only i did it with a char rebecca williams on pluto, and it was tg who took my family and then i needed to get to the starport to get to safety on irrata III

but that is only 1 form of rp.

almost infinite ways of rp.

edit :

however, to be a true RPer you can never change personality on that char.

petek480
24-05-04, 06:30
I like most of your ideas other then 3 and 4. Not everyone plays this game to roleplay so limiting what they can name themselves or there clan to force them to roleplay woudln't be a good idea.

Marx
24-05-04, 06:32
sry for the inconveinence :angel:Let me put it this way.

No RP <--------------------|--------------------> lots of RP

What you stated would go here:

<--------------------|-------------------X>

What Neocron has at the current is here:

<---X----------------|-------------------->

What I want:

<--------------------X-------------------->

I like most of your ideas other then 3 and 4. Not everyone plays this game to roleplay so limiting what they can name themselves or there clan to force them to roleplay woudln't be a good idea.
Ok, so preventing people from taking stupid, possibly offensive names is a bad thing?

They're not being forced to roleplay - they just can't choose stupid... possibly offensive names.

Kasumi
24-05-04, 07:02

Ryzom has best thing for this.. Lots of random NPCs, You can find traders waiting around outside of city, guards walk from different places.. and just random NPCs.. but Ryzom doesnt have lots of loading between places either.. ^^

jernau
24-05-04, 07:52
Ryzom has best thing for this.. Lots of random NPCs, You can find traders waiting around outside of city, guards walk from different places.. and just random NPCs.. but Ryzom doesnt have lots of loading between places either.. ^^Ryzom absolutely demolishes every other MMO I've tried for this :
Animals hunt each other, sleep at night or after eating, move in herds, hunt in packs, defend themselves in groups, examine new things around them, visit waterholes, follow players sometimes just out of curiosity, move between locations based on time of day, season, threats in the area, etc. The carnivores and other aggresive creatures all have natural prey which they stalk and kill.
NPCs populate all the cities and towns - they move around, chat to each other, visit vendors, etc. In the wastes you find tribes that wander from place to place sometimes selling stuff (actually that part is bugged atm but it is a beta) or offering missions.
The guards patrol areas in a logical manner yet still change their routes from time to time or get bored and stand around chatting and stuff.

Exploring in Ryzom is total class - climbing hills, watching all the creatures below you and trying to find a safe route through taking into account that every single species acts differently - some are totally passive, some only attack easy targets, some attack on sight (range and LoS varies by species and time of day), some attack when targetted, some won't attack if they recently ate or if they are alone, or feeling lazy (many many emotes), some can be lured towards other creatures they would rather eat, some will try to attack but get bored if they can't catch you, some will approach but not attack, some of those may attract predators though if you can't shake them, etc. etc.

I'd say there's more NPC/Mob AI in one creature in Ryzom than in all of NC.

RayBob
24-05-04, 08:02
Dark Age doesn't allow hostile groups to directly talk to eachother. They can see eachother, fight eachother, lose to eachother, but they can never talk.I have been asking for this for a long time. When BDoY is released you should not be able to see text by anyone from the opposite empire on any channel, nor can you email them. I am against having meetings with enemies and agreeing on rules for war. I am against trading with the enemy! Most of all, I hate all the ridiculous recycled post-OP fight, post-PK dick measuring contests. It's like they think they are reinventing the wheel. “OMG we only had 3 people online!” “OMG you had 9 million PPUs!” Blah...blah...same exact conversations over and over and over.

I earnestly hope that when BDoY is released, GMs will spend a little more time monitoring the trade channel. People refuse to take their conversations to OOC. The spam on Trade makes it annoyingly difficult to conduct business and I cannot even imagine what it will be like with triple the population and the same non-existent level of moderation.

Opar
24-05-04, 08:49
Neocron should become like RYL.

In RYL, you choose whether you want to be Ar'kan or Humans, and thats it. You never ever seen one of the other class until you fight. All of your characters MUST be the class you chose.

In Neocron, you should just be able to choose Pro/Anti-city, and be done with it.

jernau
24-05-04, 09:16
I was going to try RYL but several people told me they had even less to do there than in NC so I didn't bother.

I do like what I've heard about the way the two empires work there in some ways (eg the PvP rules) but RvB is very very very dull. I fear NC is going to go that way soon in some misguided attempt to do grud-knows-what to what's left of it's chances.

Mirco
24-05-04, 12:02
I voted yes, a good post and if I might just add one and a half idea. Its about faction to faction relationships and how we get payed in this game.

Ok, you are an employee of a big, ruthless mega corporation who gives a rats ass about human life and is all about profit. Now, can someone explain to me how letting all your errand boys and wiseguys(that would be us) going around killing neutral or allied runners is a good way to do buisiness?

I mean, in NC I got so much freedom to do whatever I want when I want it. Does this fit with the idea of a post-apocalyptic cyber punk world? Nope it doesnt.

First of all I would like some changes to how we make money. I know this has been suggested by others before me, so I don`t claim it to be my idea. No more money for killing monsters. Lets say you take the scorpion pits and you are a monk or tank. You are able to make a shitload of money there in a short period of time. Who is paying you those money and what for? And is there any wonder there is inflation in NC with that source of money that never runs out?

I would like to see money made from doing:

1. Missions. This would of course demand a certain improvements of the mission system and clan missions should get implemented. Lets say you get a clan mission that tells you to make 200 tl 3 heals with atleast 3 slots in a week. Or if you are a single runner something more than just killing 5 bloody mobs. Payment has to be better to.

2. Trading weapons and equipment, selling loot.

3. Offering services.

Now with this I would like faction sympathy to be something that is really hard to gain and that it is also connected to the amount of money you are able to make and how good missions you are going to get.

Now faction sympathy would be more important than soul light as a mean of controlling friendly or neutral ganking. When you kill a friendly or neutral runner you not only take a hit to your allies or neutral faction sympathy. You take a large hit to the sympathy of your own faction. This directly effects your cash flow because money is earned by doing missions and suddenly your mission lvl is alot lower. Why? Because you have made the guys on top look bad by showing everyone that they cant controll their employees and also they have alot of explaining to do to the affected faction. Do your bosses enjoy doing this? Is it sound that this should go unpunished?

I think responsibility and demands from your faction is the way to go. Freedom is overrated and sure as hell doesnt work in the rp context of neocron. I don`t think freedom fits at all. Atleast not in Neocron city which is supposed to be run by an oppressive dictator. Perhaps the doy factions could offer more freedom as they are opposed to mr. Reeza.

BeaNo
24-05-04, 12:36
Voted Yes.

5 Stars

Easily one of the best thought out ideas I have read on the forum, and wasn't one point I could disagree with.

BeaNo

Cruzbroker
24-05-04, 13:23
Great.

If someone in KK reads this thread and the idea, they should think "What have we done?" And start doing (at least few of) these changes right away.

I think they should do NPC scripts easier to make, then put some citizen NPCs around the city which gossip the stuff released on NEOCRONICLE, every week. Then you could go talk to them and get some idea of what's on the newest neocronicle, if there's something interesting you could just go read the whole neocronicle at citycom or nema..

Also the npc talk window (with black borders) should be changed to some small window so you could see what's going around..

petek480
24-05-04, 13:24
Ok, so preventing people from taking stupid, possibly offensive names is a bad thing?

They're not being forced to roleplay - they just can't choose stupid... possibly offensive names.
How is naming yourself "Lord Poopyface McShittytrousers" offensive? Or calling your clan "KING OF TOILET" offensive? Just because in a roleplaying sense they're offensive doesn't mean people can't pick them.

SorkZmok
24-05-04, 13:42
I have been asking for this for a long time. When BDoY is released you should not be able to see text by anyone from the opposite empire on any channel, nor can you email them. I am against having meetings with enemies and agreeing on rules for war. I am against trading with the enemy! Most of all, I hate all the ridiculous recycled post-OP fight, post-PK dick measuring contests. It's like they think they are reinventing the wheel. “OMG we only had 3 people online!” “OMG you had 9 million PPUs!” Blah...blah...same exact conversations over and over and over.

I earnestly hope that when BDoY is released, GMs will spend a little more time monitoring the trade channel. People refuse to take their conversations to OOC. The spam on Trade makes it annoyingly difficult to conduct business and I cannot even imagine what it will be like with triple the population and the same non-existent level of moderation.Yes to the trade-nc monitoring, no to the rest.
I agree that all the spam and post-opfight shit sucks but still, you should be abled to talk to the enemy. What about trading stuff then from NC to DoY and vice versa? There should still be a possiblilty for that. Same for talking, you should be abled to spy for example.

Also the population isnt that high anyway any you wanna take away my chance to trade or even talk to half of them? o_O

I like the chat changes Marx made, yours are a bit harsh though.

Trade-NC just needs a change so you can only talk once every 30 seconds and GMs should monitor it and stop ppl who talk trash on trade (Just an example).

/edit
Pete, those names are just some rather nice examples. Theres tons of ppl with real shit names. No matter in what way you see it. Same with ppl using "1337 speak" and shit. Theres clan names and tags so fucking dumb, its just not right...

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 14:05
So from a role play perspective, and I go Pro City, and my best friend is anti city (we are both competative) I cant talk to him over direct or through standard channels? Sorry but that is stupid.

It would rip the community apart

N1n3
24-05-04, 14:40
Cool Thing. Koro goes Anti City, and I go Pro City. Or other way round. Dont want to listen to him anymore. o_O

Marx
24-05-04, 15:36
So from a role play perspective, and I go Pro City, and my best friend is anti city (we are both competative) I cant talk to him over direct or through standard channels? Sorry but that is stupid.

It would rip the community apartWell, if you truly value your friendship perhaps you should stay within the same empire?

Wars tend to rip families apart, so why should it leave you unscathed?

How is naming yourself "Lord Poopyface McShittytrousers" offensive? Or calling your clan "KING OF TOILET" offensive? Just because in a roleplaying sense they're offensive doesn't mean people can't pick them.That falls under the 'stupid' section of the names. Find another true MMO which will allow me to keep that name and guild name.

Yes to the trade-nc monitoring, no to the rest.
I agree that all the spam and post-opfight shit sucks but still, you should be abled to talk to the enemy. What about trading stuff then from NC to DoY and vice versa? There should still be a possiblilty for that. Same for talking, you should be abled to spy for example.You could still talk to eachother - just not through official means. I mean, I think that would make sense because it is a empire v. empire game. Also, this would mean if certain groups wanted to arrange ... say... peace or something like it, it would have to be done face to face in a non-hostile area (like those new wasteland settlements and stuff). So things would take more work to accomplish, and the work done to accomplish those things would warrant their own story and make the game more interesting.

Also, trade between the two cities is also supposed to be bad and prohibited. That's why you have gunrunners... And I sincerely doubt gunrunners take out full page ads in their local newspapers.

;)

Moscow
24-05-04, 15:48
I do something similar to the first two already (Keep everything non-Faction related muted), and I pretty much demand Reakktor implement the second two ideas!

People say things such as the Law Enforcer break Roleplay....well, personally, I've found it to be people with names such as "BIG PRICK" and "blow job?" to do a far better job at ruining immersion. Some of the ridiculous clan names don't help either. :(

Names like that can't help first impressions, either. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd certainly be put off playing a game if I had to deal with people with names like the ones I've mentioned.

Peace.

-Moscow

B.A-Baracus
24-05-04, 16:14
Ok maybe limiting trade channels and communication would of been good during beta. But now, pls dont even think about it, the neocron community on some severs is small enough as is (pluto peak times 70) to force these people struggling to keep pluto alive into a smaller community is just dumb.
There are lots of Things Neocron needs to do to improve RP, we all know this. But instead of drastic changes they need to first fix some little things. Like making AB a viable Faction to play that has clans. Making TG not Allied to a factions that are neutral to FA. Can somone tell me why TG as ANTI city as you can get would be Allied to FA who is Neutral to CA? The whole faction system is fucked. They need to fix the shit like that and get a much larger player base before they even think about doing 85% of the shit stated on this post.
oh and about stupid names, well its a Cyper Punk game, you type cul, sex or any number of things and you got your guy doing pelvic thrusts. You walk into pepper park you see strippers and here stuff like "cum in and get your nasty on" in the background. This could be offensive to eh? Maybe Factions like City admin should limit Player and clan names but to do that to all would just destroy the image of the game. Its supose to have gritty inapropriate players and behavior its part of the game.

Jest
24-05-04, 16:20
I have a few exceptions.

I love the name filter idea but I don't think there should be a clan name filter. People should be able to name their clan whatever they want, but yes, people with the name "r4p3 ur m0m" or similiar detracts from the game I think.

Also the trade channel idea. Its good, but if you keep one single solitary channel open to all, then the entire idea is reduced to shit. You KNOW people would just start doing their trading on OOC. If the above was implemented (and it should be), then I say just get rid of every single other global channel.

SorkZmok
24-05-04, 16:20
People say things such as the Law Enforcer break Roleplay....well, personally, I've found it to be people with names such as "BIG PRICK" and "blow job?" to do a far better job at ruining immersion. Some of the ridiculous clan names don't help either. :(I'm pretty sure its exactly those ppl who say "Law Enforcer break Roleplay! I MUST PKAR J00!!11"

O_o :D

Marx
24-05-04, 16:34
Ok maybe limiting trade channels and communication would of been good during beta. But now, pls dont even think about it, the neocron community on some severs is small enough as is (pluto peak times 70) to force these people struggling to keep pluto alive into a smaller community is just dumb.Note I'm discussing these changes with DoY - when we're hypothetically going to get new players and old players coming back.

There are lots of Things Neocron needs to do to improve RP, we all know this. But instead of drastic changes they need to first fix some little things. Like making AB a viable Faction to play that has clans. Making TG not Allied to a factions that are neutral to FA. Can somone tell me why TG as ANTI city as you can get would be Allied to FA who is Neutral to CA? The whole faction system is fucked. They need to fix the shit like that and get a much larger player base before they even think about doing 85% of the shit stated on this post.The whole faction system is getting changed with DoY, it will end up being an empire v. empire system.

=/

oh and about stupid names, well its a Cyper Punk game, you type cul, sex or any number of things and you got your guy doing pelvic thrusts. You walk into pepper park you see strippers and here stuff like "cum in and get your nasty on" in the background. This could be offensive to eh? Maybe Factions like City admin should limit Player and clan names but to do that to all would just destroy the image of the game. Its supose to have gritty inapropriate players and behavior its part of the game.In the Red Light District - not everywhere in the game. A person can choose not to go there if they really don't want to, but a person can't choose not to be harangued and harassed by a dude with a really _retarded_ name.

And no, it doesn't destroy the whole image of the game - read all the reviews... They don't say "Hey, our ability to name our dude WHATEVER we wanted really makes us love this game". They say "These people with names that make no sense and were really just stupid detract from the game enviroment." Most reviews of late don't bitch about the game iteself, they bitch about the players and the freedom they receive to do whatever the hell they want.

Anyway, Yeah, gritty players I can live with... But I've yet to meet a gritty guy in real life name "FUKD URM0M". Players could still act as gritty and bad as they want, because that's expected from some of the players. Only then, their name wouldn't detract from the overall feel and experience of the game.

I love the name filter idea but I don't think there should be a clan name filter. People should be able to name their clan whatever they want, but yes, people with the name "r4p3 ur m0m" or similiar detracts from the game I think.Without a filter, stupid names which detract from the game will always be used by those that use them now.

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 16:38
SO because we are both great friends, but enjoy being competative, you force me not to be able to talk to him, or wind him up if I kick his ass?

Sorry but I think most of these ideas will split up the community that is already stupidlysmall

Marx
24-05-04, 16:39
SO because we are both great friends, but enjoy being competative, you force me not to be able to talk to him, or wind him up if I kick his ass?

Sorry but I think most of these ideas will split up the community that is already stupidlysmallYou can be competetive in Neo Frag (or the new 'Wargames Inn').

:rolleyes:

Hell, Neofrag was put in so allies could fight eachother without losses... Of course now allies fight eachother freely because it's stupidly easy to fix the damage you do to your SL and FS.

Saza
24-05-04, 16:40
2.) Eliminate or limit ones ability to use "Direct Chat". To be honest, there's no point in limiting factions that can chat on trade if you can simply go and direct chat with people you know. Perhaps come DoY you can make it so members of a Pro-NC faction can't direct message a Pro-DoY person... Because that would be equivalent to spying... right? (Spying would better be done face to face.)

What would this do?

Force face to face contact
Force people to congregate or advertise their service (Can't have that good ole' If you need a job, direct me if you know me bull)
Because people would be forced to congregate/advertise if they want to offer services, more traders would seem to come out of the woodwork to provide service.
Prevent people from spilling the beans (i.e. prevent annoying spy-bitches "hey, guess who's running around MB right now?"

Give each person a code, like an IP address, and you can only direct people if you have that code. Next, up get rid of names in local unless you know the persons code. The codes you know can be stored in a Direct list, like Buddy, (Buddy is handled in the same way). Then it will be in your own intrests not to advertise your code on trade and take away the advantage of stealth.

I think it'll be in the intrest of RP if direct is slightly scrambled if you are in the wastelands, but place some radio transceivers around the place that amplify it. That would be cool.

The last item on that list, well I think people should be spilling the beans - thats what it's for.

Everything else I agree with.

Very good post. 5 stars.

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 16:47
Its the fact that your forcing role play, and ur forcing players to not interact, that could be interacting.

Not everyone wants to role play, and alot of people play MMORPG's for friendships as well as the pleasure of leveling etc.

By catagorically forcing players not to be able to talk to there rivals, there effectivly not allowed to talk to half of the server.

I hope this doesnt get implemented, as roleplay in MMORPG is self choice, not a game developers choice

Marx
24-05-04, 16:52
Its the fact that your forcing role play, and ur forcing players to not interact, that could be interacting.

Not everyone wants to role play, and alot of people play MMORPG's for friendships as well as the pleasure of leveling etc.

By catagorically forcing players not to be able to talk to there rivals, there effectivly not allowed to talk to half of the server.

I hope this doesnt get implemented, as roleplay in MMORPG is self choice, not a game developers choiceOther games introduce limitations like this all the time, it doesn't force 'roleplay' because the player does nothing. It makes the world as seen by the players more true to what it is made out to be in the History, and the manual. You can still have your friendships, but just like other games... You can have friends on the opposite team, it will just be more difficult to talk with them.

And they can talk to those rivals, just not directly or through trade channels. So now if they want to talk, they have to actually make and effort... Which would certainly make a hell of a lot more sense than this "MAGICC ooooOOooo I CAN TALK TO ENEMIES WHILE I'M STANDING NEXT TO REZA" bull that we have now.

Anyway:

Yes, RP needs to be balanced (not neccesarily in the manner stated below)

Keep telling yourself that it's the job of the players. Nothing will happen, THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN ALREADY TIME AND TIME AGAIN - That's why games introduce hard specific ingame mechanics to make the game make sense.

Imagine DAoC if the enemy realms were able to talk with eachother... How wrong would that be? Very. Would the game be worth playing? Not really, not anymore.

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 16:56
So if I am taking your approach, and from a Role Play perspective, there should be tools which allow me to talk to anyone I like without detection from DOY or Pro city security.

Also from a role play perspective, there would be no thing as a trade channel, or OOC - all trade and chat, which isnt local, would have to be over emails or city com's, with smugglers hired to deliver say a package from TG to NC.

Also from a role play perspective, to chat to someone from distance, I should have to buy a contact device, much like a ear piece, which I then send to the player, and if they pick up, we can talk without others knowing.

Sorry but you can go over board with RP shite, and this isnt very good.

In DAOC the seperation of hib, mid, and albion was fine, as your sectors were fucking insanely big, and you could talk to your friends if you were in the rival zone.

This is just over kill *sigh*

Marx
24-05-04, 17:01
So if I am taking your approach, and from a Role Play perspective, there should be tools which allow me to talk to anyone I like without detection from DOY or Pro city security. But seeing as every mode of communication aside from direct face to face contact is monitored...

Also from a role play perspective, there would be no thing as a trade channel, or OOC - all trade and chat, which isnt local, would have to be over emails or city com's, with smugglers hired to deliver say a package from TG to NC. Not true, There are things like Home Shopping networks on TV's, advertising over the radio in real life, so one could directly equate those to TRADE-NC and the like. OOC? Sure, eliminate it - That way there would be no communication between empires at all.

Also from a role play perspective, to chat to someone from distance, I should have to buy a contact device, much like a ear piece, which I then send to the player, and if they pick up, we can talk without others knowing.Radio waves = monitored.

In DAOC the seperation of hib, mid, and albion was fine, as your sectors were fucking insanely big, and you could talk to your friends if you were in the rival zone.

This is just over kill *sigh*Seeing as it would be a seperation of trade groupings... And a seperation of EMPIRES... I think it would be safe to say that it would still be rather big... You know... Seeing as each side would have its own city and all.

petek480
24-05-04, 17:12
Without a filter, stupid names which detract from the game will always be used by those that use them now.
Perfect example of roleplayers always thinking about themselves and trying to force roleplaying on others:rolleyes: Not everyone will want to roleplay. Right now I'd say only about 5% of the current population roleplays. So forcing everyone to roleplay will just decrease the population even more. Besides, how do you know that the person with the name r4p3 ur m0m isn't really a roleplayer and picked that as his name becuase he liked it?

Marx
24-05-04, 17:14
Perfect example of roleplayers always thinking about themselves and trying to force roleplaying on others:rolleyes: Not everyone will want to roleplay. Right now I'd say only about 5% of the current population roleplays. So forcing everyone to roleplay will just decrease the population even more. Besides, how do you know that the person with the name r4p3 ur m0m isn't really a roleplayer and picked that as his name becuase he liked it?Forcing people to choose a semi-normal/coherent name will make the populations go down?

:lol:

Have you thought that perhaps people and clans with those names have made the populations go down? Notice they've become more prevalent... And the populations are down...

=/

Saza
24-05-04, 17:50
Have you thought that perhaps people and clans with those names have made the populations go down? Notice they've become more prevalent... And the populations are down.
No. Servers are down to due lack of anything new being added, their friends leaving, and people being insulting/bitching gits. I don't think someone will leave because someone else has immature name. But I do think that a name filter is a very good idea, this is an RP game after all.

RP is actually very very fun. It gives you a bigger sense of purpose, which makes it easier to find something to do in the game. Unfortunately Marx, I doubt any changes will be made until DoY, if at all.

Marx
24-05-04, 17:52
No. Servers are down to due lack of anything new being added, their friends leaving, and people being insulting/bitching gits. I don't think someone will leave because someone else has immature name. But I do think that a name filter is a very good idea, this is an RP game after all. It was sarcasm Saza.

No one is in any position here to say that a name filter would lower populations, and that decree is just as asinine as blaming the low pops (from lack of advertising) on people with shitty names. - That's what I was trying to point out.

I doubt any changes will be made until DoY, if at all.
I don't mind, as long as changes which fill these gaps come.

petek480
24-05-04, 18:27
Forcing people to choose a semi-normal/coherent name will make the populations go down?

:lol:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say the population will go down if you make them choose a a semi-normal/coherent name. Oh wait a minute, I didn't say that :rolleyes:

Have you thought that perhaps people and clans with those names have made the populations go down? Notice they've become more prevalent... And the populations are down...

=/
People like that have been around since the beginning of beta. And if someone leaves becuase of someones name or clan name then good, they don't belong here anyways.

Carinth
24-05-04, 18:45
People should be able to choose how much they want to rp, it shouldn't be enforced. If someone wants to play this game as a complicated CS server with stats and such, then they should. Neocron attracts a very diverse playerbase, which is a good thing. I've never had a problem interacting with the different player types. The rp ignorant, the pvp inclined, the rp inclined, or the pvp ignorant. It's not that hard to switch hats and interact with different crowds. Some people issolate themselves needlessly.

I detest anything that impairs community interaction. Anti city forces being shot in plaza 1 is awful. It may highten rp but it ruins a much more important part of nc. It'll only get worse when safezones are removed. Then we'll each move to our apartments or faction headquarters. We'll be even more divided and issolated from each other. It's especialy bad for tradeskillers, since 80% of their time is spent standing around. The only thing that keeps tradeskillers ingame is the social aspect.

Rieke
24-05-04, 18:57
@Marks
I give u http://neocron.jafc.de/images/rating/rating_4.gif and i hope KK use the time to read it ..

Marx
24-05-04, 19:15
People like that have been around since the beginning of beta. And if someone leaves becuase of someones name or clan name then good, they don't belong here anyways.They don't leave because of the name, they leave because generally those people with those names are either immature, annoying, or both. Some groups go and keep it all to themselves, while others are extrememly outspoken, and therefore, more annoying to the general playing populace.

I detest anything that impairs community interaction. Anti city forces being shot in plaza 1 is awful. It may highten rp but it ruins a much more important part of nc. It'll only get worse when safezones are removed. Then we'll each move to our apartments or faction headquarters. We'll be even more divided and issolated from each other. It's especialy bad for tradeskillers, since 80% of their time is spent standing around. The only thing that keeps tradeskillers ingame is the social aspect.So I guess they shouldn't release Dome of York then... Since each side of the conflict will have its own cities, it will only further polarize the playerbase.

=/

The social aspect will still exist, it will still run strong, only now it will be empire based rather than the model we have now. The community will still be able to interact, only now they won't be able to brag about killing another person to embarass another in a different empire... People could still communicate through these forums, they could still communicate face to face in-game. Now a CA tradeskiller will have problems serving a DoY dude, or a TG dude, whileas a FA skiller will get their business (which makes sense seeing as it's the anti-city tradeskill faction).

Is it bad that Anti-City would get thrown out? No. Why? Because Reza is a militant dictator, better you get thrown out than killed.

Is it bad that people in differnt empires would have a hard time conversing? No, it makes sense and would make it more difficult for players to arrange truces, etc. Why do I want it to be more difficult? Because spending a minute DM'ing a bunch of clan leaders to become neutral to most of the server, while good for me and those that also have done this, is stupid and completely obliterates the whole set of ideas put down in the history and manual.

Carinth
24-05-04, 20:02
Justifying things because they make RP sense is just silly. It's the same as trying to compare the game to real life. For instance, NEXT is a city side faction that controls the GR's. It woudl be entirely reasonable for members of a faction that NEXT does not like to be denied use of GR's, or GOGO's, or Vehicle Depots. That would make rp sense, but it would also ruin the game.

As a matter of fact I don't like BDOY at all. I only look forward to the extra features and bug fixes. I would be entirely happy with Neocron if they fixed even half of the problems with this game. Adding another city is just fluff, I could really care less. Turning the game into Red vs Blue is, imo, actualy worse.

In a larger game you could make it work, but Neocron is not a MMO : ) Only if Neocron had consistantly over 500 people on each server could you maybe think about splitting us up. I think people are seriously overestimating how much the server populations will go up when BDOY is released. As it is, splitting us up will just make the already small population seem even smaller.

Even more concerning is that we're not just gonna be split in two, but we'll be split into faction lines. As a Tsunami tradeskiller, I will not be spending my time out on the streets of DOY. I will be sitting in Tsunami HQ or maybe one of the clubs. The same will be true of the other factions, people will not be hanging out in the city streets. Why? Because they won't be safezones, which makes rp sense. But does it make the game better?

Dribble Joy
24-05-04, 20:08
In a larger game you could make it work, but Neocron is not a MMO : ) Only if Neocron had consistantly over 500 people on each server could you maybe think about splitting us up. I think people are seriously overestimating how much the server populations will go up when BDOY is released. As it is, splitting us up will just make the already small population seem even smaller.
My thoughts too.
If the populations were significantly high enough then I support the idea fully, untill then otherthan restricting the lam0rz slang matches, it has little benefit.

Marx
24-05-04, 20:52
As a matter of fact I don't like BDOY at all. I only look forward to the extra features and bug fixes. I would be entirely happy with Neocron if they fixed even half of the problems with this game. Adding another city is just fluff, I could really care less. Turning the game into Red vs Blue is, imo, actualy worse.At least Red Vs. Blue would probably cut down on some of the infighting.

In a larger game you could make it work, but Neocron is not a MMO : ) Only if Neocron had consistantly over 500 people on each server could you maybe think about splitting us up. I think people are seriously overestimating how much the server populations will go up when BDOY is released. As it is, splitting us up will just make the already small population seem even smaller.Nowhere do I say "Do this now". I've already stated before that the actions regarding seperation of chat systems would best be done with higher pops.

Even more concerning is that we're not just gonna be split in two, but we'll be split into faction lines. As a Tsunami tradeskiller, I will not be spending my time out on the streets of DOY. I will be sitting in Tsunami HQ or maybe one of the clubs. The same will be true of the other factions, people will not be hanging out in the city streets. Why? Because they won't be safezones, which makes rp sense. But does it make the game better?Personally, this is why I like the idea of an ingame mechanic where allies can't attack eachother unless marked in clanwars. But hey, saying stuff like that is liable to get me marked a carebear.

The maturity level of the playerbase will determine the ability of the playerbase to hang around in non-safe zones. I heartily doubt that it will be easy for Pro-NC folk to get into DoY, and Pro-DoY folk to get into NC (it's already been stated it would be very very difficult)... So unless your city is being raided... What do you have to fear from hanging in non-safezones?

Oh yeah, those people who kill faction allies just because they need to kill something. My bad.

deac
24-05-04, 21:00
ill just have to give Carinth 5 stars again :)

marx its not a bad idea but i dont think it would help the comunity.

Marx
24-05-04, 21:08
marx its not a bad idea but i dont think it would help the comunity.Which idea is it you're responding to?

My 'ideas' don't really matter, because the focal point of this thread is to get players, and hopefully devs to notice that the CONTENT of this game is more imbalanced than the PvP ever has been, and absolutely nothing has been done to settle it.

There are holes everywhere - Why is it that TG's are freedom fighters, yet TG's has been home to most of the games most notorious PKers? Why is it that FA exists? They have no purpose. Why is it DRE exists? They _Really_ have no purpose.

Why do TG, FA and MB have their own bases when they can all stroll right into Neocron unscathed to do their low level leveling - What the hell is the point in having caves and stuff in TG?

There are so many things that are wrong, or at least so damned confusing that really _need_ to be cleared up or fixed.

Do you feel that the games content is 100% ok as is?

Mirco
24-05-04, 21:11
Oh yeah, those people who kill faction allies just because they need to kill something. My bad.

This is one of the reasons I want allied ganking to be severly punished. It should take off massive points from you own faction stats if you do so, because you are knowingly breaking your own factions orders. Higher soul light punishment and non of this soul light slowly growing back at all. Oooo you stood around in your appy for a few hours watching your soul light get better, I guess its fine then, we forgive you. Hit the allied ganker where it really hurts and that is in the money bin. Fines from you own faction for killing allied or neutral runners I say. Like 10 % of your assets.

There is too much freedom. If I get hired by some company, they wont just let me do whatever I want do they? They have rules I must abide by and if I dont I need to pay in some way or another.

jernau
24-05-04, 21:13
At least Red Vs. Blue would probably cut down on some of the infighting.
Why?

I see almost as many people ganking greens as reds these days.

How would removing content improve this?

Epsilon 5
24-05-04, 21:15
the RP might need balancing, but i don't like any of the ideas in the first post.

Marx
24-05-04, 21:19
Why?

I see almost as many people ganking greens as reds these days.

How would removing content improve this?Removing content? Content is being added, and that content just so happens to be a higher purpose which hangs over each city.

People would be preoccupied for a time, and perhaps if done right opposing teams will be in opposite cities instead of all in one.

Perhaps I hope too much - perhaps a mechanic will be added to prevent green ganking.

Who knows nowadays?

the RP might need balancingEither it does or it doesn't.

Shadow Dancer
24-05-04, 21:22
I voted yes to balancing RP. I also think each and every single one of your ideas kick ass. I also think OOC should be removed.

Your ideas for trade channel and DM limiting are great. It would severely cut down on mentally deficient players spamming "LOOLLO U SUX TEH BIG PEEN OLOLO"

Also the name filter is a good idea. It shouldn't be too restrictive. But stuff like "y0 a$$" blah blah should not be allowed.

5 star.

jernau
24-05-04, 21:23
Removing content? Content is being added, and that content just so happens to be a higher purpose which hangs over each city.

People would be preoccupied for a time, and perhaps if done right opposing teams will be in opposite cities instead of all in one.

Perhaps I hope too much - perhaps a mechanic will be added to prevent green ganking.

Who knows nowadays?

Either it does or it doesn't.RvB is a huge content-nerf. It also removes one of the games "unique selling points". Any steps towards that I oppose strongly.

Most of your ideas are sound and I voted 5 stars but any move towards RvB is bad IMO.

/edit @SD - OOC has it's uses and should stay IMO. Even if only as a sink-hole for spam.

Marx
24-05-04, 21:26
RvB is a huge content-nerf. It also removes one of the games "unique selling points". Any steps towards that I oppose strongly.

Most of your ideas are sound and I voted 5 stars but any move towards RvB is bad IMO.
Inevitably it will be RvB. While clans will be fighting eachother for the sake of OP's and stuff... You'll still have alliances which would encompass the factions of the different cities.

If the game takes off and alot of people start to play... There would no doubt be battles where it ends up being NC v. DoY.

There's no true way to prevent it from happening, but it certainly wouldn't overshadow (hopefully) the smaller actions within the empires, and within the factions.

Shadow Dancer
24-05-04, 21:29
Jernau if OOC stays then it will just be kiddies mouthing off there instead of trade.

jernau
24-05-04, 21:29
The current system allows for much more complex and dynamic interactions than that.

RvB removes all need for politics, bargaining, alliances, etc. It will be the overnight death of whatever passes for RP in this game if KK continue down that road.

/edit @SD - Yep, and I'll mute it.

Heavyporker
24-05-04, 21:32
While the ideas are great... I fully support name-filtering... within reason. i mean, I like my "heavyporker" and such names, you know. Stuff like blocking fuck, ********, motherfucker, etc etc... the obvious obscenities, you know. That definitely needs filtering.

Anyways - pro-city should be able to listen to Trade/Skill NC and MB, pro-DoY should be listening to TG and TH channels...

Runners should still be able to listen to each other in local, zone, etc etc.

Everyone should be able to hear the wasteland channel, but ONLY when they're OUT in the WASTELANDS... lets say its a weakly transmitted channel that gets drowned out by the interference by the in-city transmitters.

Marx
24-05-04, 21:33
The current system allows for much more complex and dynamic interactions than that.

RvB removes all need for politics, bargaining, alliances, etc. It will be the overnight death of whatever passes for RP in this game if KK continue down that road.Of course the game allows for more complex interactions, why? Because for the most part it lacks rules. Players have near absolute freedom - and they still will.

There would no doubt be some infighting among groups seeing as it always will happen - but hopefully a proper clanwars system mixed with a sorted penalties system for killing allies or non-hostiles (not on clanwars list) would make it so you don't have people going on massive killing sprees just because they can... Do cyclops missions to regain their SL while using some sort of epic weapon or crummily made weapon which they don't mind dropping.

Anyway, neither of us can comment conceretly on what will happen, so this argument might even be moot already.

;)

Heavyporker
24-05-04, 22:18
mmm.. huge positive reponse from the community.. that makes it pretty clear.

I'd LOVE to see chat channels sorted.

You know what, though, what about the ingame forums? Since Tangent hosts (or seems like it) what will happen to anticity?

deac
24-05-04, 23:36
Do you feel that the games content is 100% ok as is?

Its not too bad... The reason we have a million factions is because kk thought they would have more players running around...

I would love if tanget would get better guns or next would get free/better vechs....

But im content with the game atm... I lvl my chars then i go pvp with them... thats ok for me... Im a pvper soo i like neocron... im sure the rp side of this game is lacking a bit.

Killing of the trade channels would force ppl into ooc and if they then remove that channel a lot of ppl would be pissed... atleast i would...

I coulndt care less about rp and i dont want it to get in my way...

Sure I dont like to fight allied or neutral ppl on my home server but sometime it happens.

btw my venus clan got kicked out of tg for killing allied, but that was ok, we did. Then again kk should support AB for ppl that just dont want to be arsed with factions. YAAARH

Marx
24-05-04, 23:44
btw my venus clan got kicked out of tg for killing allied, but that was ok, we did. Then again kk should support AB for ppl that just dont want to be arsed with factions. YAAARHExactly! Things like that need to be settled.

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 23:47
Marx, I find your arguments are further enforcing role play.

You claim that all talk channels are monitored, all radiowaves are monitored, if this is so, how do city admin not know about DOY, or where the tunnels system was being built.

All your counter arguments of Role play, is not only roleplay but realism.

If this is true, 99% of the stuff available when DOY hits, shouldnt be available to DOY as 99% of it is pro city shops and items.

I couldnt agree with carinth any more than I already do.

There is role play and then this, and your just forcing people into it, and as ill keep saying, not everyone wants to role play.

Marx
24-05-04, 23:51
Marx, I find your arguments are further enforcing role play.

You claim that all talk channels are monitored, all radiowaves are monitored, if this is so, how do city admin not know about DOY, or where the tunnels system was being built.They do know they exist... But there's nothing they can do about it. There's this thing called propoganda, you have to choose what to beleive and what not to. If Neocron was this major military power, wouldn't they have the dome already?

=/

All your counter arguments of Role play, is not only roleplay but realism.

If this is true, 99% of the stuff available when DOY hits, shouldnt be available to DOY as 99% of it is pro city shops and items.

I couldnt agree with carinth any more than I already do.

There is role play and then this, and your just forcing people into it, and as ill keep saying, not everyone wants to role play.Dude, do I say that these changes need to occur? This thread is about brainstorming possible ideas to make the game interesting and make sense. The world as it stands now is nothing like the world made out by the history and by the stories put forth by nema, in many cases the neocronicle, and the manual.

Just because you have a chip over one of the ideas I put forward doesn't mean the whole POINT of putting more interest in RP is flawed.

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 23:54
Dude, do I say that these changes need to occur? This thread is about brainstorming possible ideas to make the game interesting and make sense. The world as it stands now is nothing like the world made out by the history and by the stories put forth by nema, in many cases the neocronicle, and the manual.

Just because you have a chip over one of the ideas I put forward doesn't mean the whole POINT of putting more interest in RP is flawed.

Role play should be 100% self choice, it shouldnt be forced in any way what so ever.

It is after all a game, and in a game, there are many elements, leveling, trading, chating, exploration, pvp, pvm, and then role play.

And if a player wishes to role play as a die hard DOY runner, then that is his choice, I just dont like the idea of a faction dominating who I can and cant talk to, as some people see it as exciting role play.

I know for a fact if half of this stuff was implemented, 2 weeks in most of the server would be unbalanced as everyone would all pile DOY or pro city, just so they could talk and trade with the best players :rolleyes:

Marx
24-05-04, 23:55
Role play should be 100% self choice, it shouldnt be forced in any way what so ever.

It is after all a game, and in a game, there are many elements, leveling, trading, chating, exploration, pvp, pvm, and then role play.

And if a player wishes to role play as a die hard DOY runner, then that is his choice, I just dont like the idea of a faction dominating who I can and cant talk to, as some people see it as exciting role play.

I know for a fact if half of this stuff was implemented, 2 weeks in most of the server would be unbalanced as everyone would all pile DOY or pro city, just so they could talk and trade with the best players :rolleyes:You could still choose to roleplay or not. It's just you'd have to choose your faction wisely, because now each faction would have its own specific purpose. (if say, chat limits were done as I originally proposed)

Clownst0pper
24-05-04, 23:59
You could still choose to roleplay or not. It's just you'd have to choose your faction wisely, because now each faction would have its own specific purpose. (if say, chat limits were done as I originally proposed)

Oh course, this was always intended by KK.

Until balanced role play implementations were added to each faction - IE. Next getting cheaper vehicles, or some vehicle skill for free, or tangent cheaper weapon parts and cheaper gun prices.

Sure, that would be nice, but with the inclusion of DOY, the emphasis is less towards the small factions and more towards "the big picture"

Pro City Vs DOY

Marx
25-05-04, 00:02
Sure, that would be nice, but with the inclusion of DOY, the emphasis is less towards the small factions and more towards "the big picture"

Pro City Vs DOY
KK listens, and if the push for it is great enough, it gets implemented or worked on.

Hence... Here's the push.

;)

jernau
25-05-04, 00:03
Just leave the OOC channel as it is.

Anyone wanting to completely avoid RP can use that and the RPers can ignore it.

The current Faction channels are useless for PvP stuff anyway as they are full of spies so the non-RP people won't be losing anything there. Trade channels should be for trade and nothing more anyway so they won't change (I see little difference between RP-trading and non-RP in most cases).

If the totally non-RP players feel they need more channels then make them.

Saito Hajime
25-05-04, 00:08
I'm at work. So I cant really read this whole thread in detail. Due to these damn people and their damn inablity to do anything with thier internet connections without someone holding thier hands.

Great post. Balance is needed, badly. I've been posting about the lack of RP in this game for a while. My topic de jour the past week has been the lack of interest in RP by the majority of the people who post on this board. I am heartend by most of the folks who have posted on this. Maybe there is hope.

Of course, the same old clowns are chipping in with the same old crap... but Perhaps with a strong enough show of interest, Not only will at least some of these changes be instituted, but maybe the world will actually become dynamic.

brackk
25-05-04, 04:45
I voted yes a while ago but though of one other suggestion. GM's should have a chat squelch command line to shut up the off topic players with a temp mute. Then if a GM observes someone spam NC-TRADE he can just mute the spammer in that particular channel without warning for like 8 hrs. I like to trade parts but sometimes the trade channel is unbearable due to spam.

ichinin
25-05-04, 09:40
SWG had a name filter - they turned it off, when i played (1 month, january) people could name themselves anything they wanted again.

As for content and RP, there isn't much right now for that. I play NC right now as Collect-o-cron where i get items, vehicles and appartments, also support other players. I dont even have a story for my character right now.

It's impossible to make money and surviveing financially of PKers solely doing what your faction is supposed to concentrate on. Like, say Tangent, you construct weapons.. not gonna make you rich. There is no incentive from the game to make you RP in the faction way.

I have to go out hunting rares, build/sell IMP's, weapons, do tradeskill and support - even for enemies to make myself rich. And none of that is what i should be doing if i roleplayed.

Please KK, add some benefits to beeing in a faction. Right now i could select random faction and could not care less what they do. In my heart i'm TG (fight against the opressive dictatorship in the city) but i dont even feel compelled to play TG.