PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of a computer underclocking itself?

Judge
22-05-04, 23:12
Ok, well my computer was running real slow after being on for a while, so I decided to restart it.

When I turned it back on the screen went into powersave mode and the motherboard beeped at me three times. Uh oh.... so I left the comp for an hour, turned it back on and was confronted with the BIOS telling me that "During last boot up system was on an inproper CPU speed setting". Strangely enough, the CPU setting was lower that it was meant to be... So I reset it to the correct value, save and exit, now the comp is working fine. I assume that the comp started to overheat and the motherboard lowered the CPU speed automatically to stop the chip frying or something? Does anyone know what the fuck happened? Or has had it happen to them before?

Ta.

slaughteruall
22-05-04, 23:16
Check to see if you have a option in the biod called "CPU throteling" or somethign simpular if so disable it. That is the only thing i can think of of the top of my head.

Slaughter

StryfeX
22-05-04, 23:17
Ok, well my computer was running real slow after being on for a while, so I decided to restart it.

When I turned it back on the screen went into powersave mode and the motherboard beeped at me three times. Uh oh.... so I left the comp for an hour, turned it back on and was confronted with the BIOS telling me that "During last boot up system was on an inproper CPU speed setting". Strangely enough, the CPU setting was lower that it was meant to be... So I reset it to the correct value, save and exit, now the comp is working fine. I assume that the comp started to overheat and the motherboard lowered the CPU speed automatically to stop the chip frying or something? Does anyone know what the fuck happened? Or has had it happen to them before?

Ta.On some motherboards, there's an option for what you want it to do in the case of a thermal problem (overheating). On mine, you can set it to either power off the comp or lower the clockspeed of the CPU. Maybe what happened was the motherboard didn't reinitialize the speed properly.

You might want to update to the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

--Stryfe

DIS
22-05-04, 23:19
hi there, yes ive had a similar problem with my PC in past. Sometimes if my

PC locked up and i restarted it with the reset button, id get the same

message and my PC would clock down to 800mhz or something. Hasnt done

it in a long while though so i figure it fixed itself :)

Cheers,

Judge
22-05-04, 23:19
And how would I do that?

I'm chuffed that I guessed right about the overheating thing. :D

Maybe its time to buy an extra fan or something for summertimes.

kurai
22-05-04, 23:25
Sometimes - for varying reasons - the frontside bus and multiplier settings for the CPU will not be autodetected or the values in NVRAM will get corrupted and the system will use `safe` defaults.

This is different from `throttling` or overheating protection and is generally indicative of a hardware or power problem which may be transient/temporary, if you are lucky.

Re-enter the FSB & multiplier in the BIOS, save and reboot - hopefully it won't re-occur