PDA

View Full Version : Hints and tips for a new APU

djskum
22-05-04, 10:44
Haven't posted for quite a while as I've been having a break but I'm back on it and lomming my PPU to APU (new lease of life in the game 4 me ;-)).

Never played an APU b4. I was a hybrid in the old days and went straight to PPU. Anyone got any hints and tips? For example; armour and resists, medipacks?, run casting, general tactics etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

DjSKum

spongeb0b
22-05-04, 10:51
just remember that you are no longer PPU... i know it may seem a dumb point but you cant stand there and not die anymore... there is running and dodging involved now :angel: ... runcasting shouldnt be a problem on capped spells and well, resists are a joke tbh... use a skill manager and see how you can get them. I'll tell you now they will be crap. Just get a half decent amount of body health and do what you will with the left over points.

djskum
22-05-04, 11:53
That seems like good advice m8. Thanks. The not being a PPU anymore is prolly the most pertainant. Bet I get owned loads for weeks ;-)

Dj

n3m
22-05-04, 11:58
Like spngebob said really, remember you are vulnerable now. VERY ;)

Sundiver
22-05-04, 13:21
But also, on the other hand, you will deal dmg like a wargod!

Ryuben
22-05-04, 13:30
Hint: kill stuff
Tip: stay slive

sanityislost
22-05-04, 14:39
Level at el farid if you can get there, its great xp for an apu with a barrel.

SiL ..:..

j0rz
22-05-04, 15:02
join the laest craze n go hybird its so fun :D

naimex
22-05-04, 15:04
Hint: kill stuff
Tip: stay slive

I would use different words...

Donīt get hit
Donīt miss

Shadow Dancer
22-05-04, 18:35
I'm too tired to write a big shpeel.

The only thing I suggest is to have 108-110 PPW after imps. That's the bonus point and you get tons of mana. Like 381.

Tons of mana = better ppu killing

More mana is just good overall

Jesterthegreat
22-05-04, 18:38
APU's are easy to both setup and play.

enough MST to use what you want then decide on your balance between APU and psi pool (through personal experiance), all int in PSU (or whack 100 in hacking or implant or tradeskill of choice), dex into agl, con is dependant on play style.

no aiming needed... simple point + click combat. a group of enemies is heavon... sprint through them and keep clicking. they aim at each other and lose a lock... you dont need one so you spam at the group.

oh how i would hate to play a monk o_O

Shadow Dancer
22-05-04, 20:22
IF a group of enemies can't kill a single APU, then they shouldn't even be PvPIng.

As for tradeskilling. Unless you have 95 base int or something, hacking will gimp you.

Clownst0pper
22-05-04, 20:24
Im thinking of loming kreole to hybrid again - PE defence, APU offence, might be nice

Shadow Dancer
22-05-04, 20:29
There's no way to get apu offense with PE defense.

Sigma
22-05-04, 20:44
There's no way to get apu offense with PE defense.
dboost is your friend

Shadow Dancer
22-05-04, 21:10
dboost is your friend

I thought he meant without dboost.

Even then, i'm skeptical. But I guess it could be possible.

If loms didn't take XP I would try it out.

Sigma
23-05-04, 02:14
ofc pure offence won't match up with an APU, but together with dboost it's equal to if not better

hivemind
23-05-04, 03:17
SD I sent you an email via these forums a couple days ago about this same topic, did you get it? Hadda email since you got PMs shut off...

My APU I'm finding, after a long time with only characters with guns, the key is to exploit the fact that all you need is a corner of a targeting box. Cover is sooooo your friend. My 31/35 APU killed 6 hovers yesterday and this morning, just by poking them through gaps in ceilings and walls.

Shadow Dancer
23-05-04, 04:24
SD I sent you an email via these forums a couple days ago about this same topic, did you get it? Hadda email since you got PMs shut off...

No I didn't. Odd. I've never recieved an email from NC forums. And I've never had people respond to an email I sent them from these forums. I'm starting to think something is wrong with that feature.

My APU I'm finding, after a long time with only characters with guns, the key is to exploit the fact that all you need is a corner of a targeting box. Cover is sooooo your friend. My 31/35 APU killed 6 hovers yesterday and this morning, just by poking them through gaps in ceilings and walls.

Yea. Apus are leet for monster hunting.

Anyways I don't have much advice to give. Like Jester said, apus are piss easy to setup. Just a few things to understand here and there. Like I said, I recommend 108-110 ppw after imps. I only recommend 83 mst after imps. 84 if you wanna use fire a-crap-alypse. 87 is for HAB. If you wanna be able to use that without PSI 3, then by all means. But it's a waste of points IMO.

I seriously recommend trying as hard as possible to get an mc5 chip. First of all you'll either have to gimp yourself with ADV nerves 3 to wear heavy fire belt, or you have to spend ages leveling base int up to 89. Mc5 takes care of that little problem. Also, without mc5 chip your fourth chip is either attack 1 or experimental GIMPtroller 3. -20 force(and the loss of str which is = to loss of transport which indirectly = loss of resist force) is a huge penalty. I say it's indirectly = to loss of resist force(the transport i mean) because PA and medkits/psi boosters can be heavy. Trust me, I chomp through medkits like crazy. I wish we had TL 3 heal. :rolleyes: If you don't use the gimptroller, then you use attack chip 1. And you can't get the same mana/power boost from attack chip 1 that you can get with xp 3. Once again, mc5 takes care of that little problem.

169-172 is the major bonus point for Holy Lightning. Which is the best weapon an apu has. More damage than FA, faster, and instant damage. Not "i'm gonna kill you in 5 seconds with this stack, so you have a few seconds to get a heal off and live". :rolleyes:

Get a 2 slot antishield(made) and put freq mods. You can cap it easily. A capped antishield(capped freq I mean) is deadly. Especially when you have tons of mana. HAB is overrated. I only really use it on special occasions in op wars. It's a RARE, so I don't bother bringing it to an anarchy zone. And also it takes up too much mana for my tastes. You can replace 2 slot antishields very very easily. Also for slaying ppus, Holy Lightning is the way to go. Unless you *know* they have a significant weakness to FA. But trust me, FA's slower ROF and it's stupid "tick" damage gives ppus plenty of time to heal up and rebuff. For pvp, I'm not even sure if you want any tips. I'm cheesy, I destroy people's legs asap in a fight. If I catch a pe unawares, I debuff him first. And then he becomes a spy. :lol:

Uhh, I don't have much else to say. Can't think of anything else atm. Any other questions?