PDA

View Full Version : question from someone whos never really tradeskilled

Saito Hajime
22-05-04, 09:25
I've had a few characters with basic tradeskills for a while to help themselves get by. Ya know a lil implanting to save the trouble of finding basic pokes early on and such, or repair to be able to repair my vehicle without comin all the way back to the garage.

Now I think I wanna make a real tradeskiller but I am not sure I understand why all skillers show two rank numbers for it? like 64/150. I understand lvl and combat rank but what do those numbers corellate to in trade skills?

Pfehh
22-05-04, 09:32
First # is their skill, second is the level of their tool. If you're talking about the advertising they do, that is.

Epsilon 5
22-05-04, 11:53
take note that the tool quality rating and TL doesn't change zit about how well items are built. the quality rating only affects the price in shops and the TL limits how high you can make stuff (i.e can't make a TL81 TGC with a TL75 cst tool)

also for repairing you have to double the TL of your skill and tool for the "real" effect. if you have 50 skill with a TL55 tool you can fix items up to TL100 and your tool is good for items up to TL110

just some help in advance :)

Judge
22-05-04, 12:50
I've been considering making a tradeskiller for some time, and probably will when the new xp for tradeskillers comes out (check out TS atm). Just one question: How do you start out? I mean, no-one wants anything constructed by a noob constructor really... Do you just get an alt to buy you loads of shit to be constructed, then do that?

Mr_Snow
22-05-04, 12:56
I've been considering making a tradeskiller for some time, and probably will when the new xp for tradeskillers comes out (check out TS atm). Just one question: How do you start out? I mean, no-one wants anything constructed by a noob constructor really... Do you just get an alt to buy you loads of shit to be constructed, then do that?

Buy the stuff to start off with with a barter and sell the spare with a barter you should break even or even make a profit.

slaughteruall
22-05-04, 23:09

I would still cap with drones or what not first. After lvl 80 (INT and DEX) it's a pain in the as to lvl. Also watch your lvls. You will be ready to lvl but you cant lvl. You wil have to go kill something to get that lvl. A shity trade skill system if you ask me.

Slaughter

Judge
22-05-04, 23:13
Ah right. Well I'll try and get to a decent level with drones, then move on to constructing.

I've always wanted to try a spy droner.... nows my chance I suppose. :D

J. Folsom
22-05-04, 23:31
It is possible to level completely from scratch as a pure tradeskiller, here's a reasonably short guide to starting off as a pure tradeskill character:

Character creation:
Choose Spy, and take Engineer as your class. This way you'll start off with a TL 30 Construction tool, which'll save you some money as you won't have to buy one.
For intelligence, go with 50 research, and the rest in construction. Your construction will start rising once you've started tradeskilling due to the intelligence you get from research.
Strength should all go in transport.
Constitution should all be in Athletics.
Dexterity should probably go in repair; though you might opt for vehicle use or agility as well.
For PSI put those two points you start off with in PPU.
For your faction, I'd advice being one of the major corporations, as this starts you off in Plaza or Via Rosso. The other factions can work too, but will be some more effort, though your newbie levelling as a tradeskiller will mostly make you stay in one place anyway.

Now, you'll be at MC5. What you want to do there is to get out as quickly as possible. Head to the GenRep, and teleport to your appartment.

Now you're at your appartment, find the nearest Crytons, and check out how much money you'd need for a TL 30 Research tool, a weapon part 1 and weapon part 2, and at least 3 datacubes. It's preferable to start off with around 12 datacubes, as this works more comfortably and will involve less clicking and dragging.
Once you've figured out the money you'll need, do enough Delivery Jobs to get this cash. For this, the Twilight Guardian, Fallen Angels and City Mercs have an advantage, as their delivery missions take place over less zones.

Now you have the necesarry supplies, research the stiletto you have. You'll see you need a weapon part 1 and 2 for it, so research those two as well. You'll need to research and construct the weapon parts to prevent losing money on every thing you construct.
Optimal location for doing this is in Plaza 3, as the Cryton's there has a chemicals vendor, and there's a simple weapons A&W there as well.

As for where to spend your points, generally speaking you should just spend your intelligence in construction, however you might want to occasionally raise your research some more, unless you can normally find a friendly researcher to help you level.

From this point in, you're basically on your one. Just keep stepping up in what you construct. PSI Modules are generally a good choice, as these sell for quite a lot, and certain ones can be sold to players as well.

Also, as a final tip, when constructing, pre-drag the blueprints into your quickbelt, this'll allow you to quickly drag them in your processor without having to confirm the amount.

Opar
22-05-04, 23:34
Build psi booster 3s.

Great XP, they cost 100nc each to make. compared to 1.5k in shops.

Agent L
23-05-04, 12:15
My curse of action was:
- start as trader and lvl up a bit (trade xp at low lvl > combat xp at this level).
- do very hard research missions to cap psi
- when trade xp start to suck, take some combat (drones in my case, first in swamp caves, then some RG in snake graves.)
- when able to reach combat rank 50+ screw everything else, get VEH and go rhino hunting until cap. (tip real rare particle nemesis with good stats gives good rank. Use ppu, all drone imps, PA and drugs to use it just once, to get rank). You'll get massive DEX/INT xp from team and STR xp from repeairing tank.

Of course you can leech team xp sooner, but only in rhino you are contributing anything to team.