PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt Earp: Over-powered?

Morganth
21-05-04, 10:29
Is it me or is the Earp seriously overpowered? Does more damage in one hit than a Libby, goes through buffs pretty well and has a lower TL than a libby, so technically it shouldn't be better than it.

olavski
21-05-04, 10:34
Another nerf?

Pls stop threads like this. O_o

Morganth
21-05-04, 10:38
Another nerf?

Pls stop threads like this. O_o

No, I was asking if anyone else thinks its overpowered, as if it isn't, I need to rework my setup.

Clownst0pper
21-05-04, 10:39
For its TL yes.

Morganth
21-05-04, 10:41
For its TL yes.

There we go! I think it only recently got a "boost", as it used to be pretty shite.

-=BlackBeard=-
21-05-04, 10:45
another nerf? if it were up to u ure class wud just eb the best

olavski
21-05-04, 10:47
No, I was asking if anyone else thinks its overpowered, as if it isn't, I need to rework my setup.

Depends how it's modded.

If it is modded.

And it's one of the two lowtechs viable for PvP, i think it's fine because its not the easiest pistol to handle. ;)

Morganth
21-05-04, 10:50
another nerf? if it were up to u ure class wud just eb the best

Well thats ok, I play all classes.

awkward silence
21-05-04, 10:50
NERF IT !!!!!!
Seriously think about it.
Aiming is worse than shit and rof aint good but aint supposed to be.
If it would be overpowered every fucking pistol spy/pe would own with it.
I dont see ppl using a wyatt that much.

ITS FINE LEAVE IT!!

ps. Its such a shitty wepon i dont use it anymore. I only use it when i think i cant aim. After a wyatt a judge seems like sweet sweet....erm apple juice

DigestiveBiscui
21-05-04, 10:51
yes, earp is overpowerd, has been since the boost

and for all the idiots that think 'OMG JUST BECAUSE U WANT YOUR CLASS TO BE GREAT!!!!1!' look at my sig

svenw
21-05-04, 10:59
The main problem is, that there are no high TL low tec (what a word combination http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/rolleyes.gif) weapons. the problem is that ou need a viable alternative for the CS as a low tec pistol Spy/PE. So a low tec weapon must always be better than a high tec weapon of the same TL. It's unfair but at the moment there is no way around.

BTW: I love my Earp, so please leave it alone. :) It's the most stylish weapon in the game (except the Term), cause I love things that really sound evil. :D

bounty
21-05-04, 11:00
I agree, it is overpowered for its tech level. And does a tad too much damage even if its TL was raised imo. However, it is not the easiest gun to hit with.

Parappa
21-05-04, 11:01
The aiming and terrible range balance the high damage nicely.

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 11:09
Depends how it's modded.

If it is modded.

And it's one of the two lowtechs viable for PvP, i think it's fine because its not the easiest pistol to handle. ;)
Fire or xray it minces.

Re. aiming.
Tbh handling style is somewhat irrelevant, PvP should be balanced at high end, where ability to aim is not really an issue.
Besides, practice with a particular weapon should remove any problems one has with aiming.

Personally I think people should stick to one, maybe two weapons, kinda defines your character a bit.

Fot it's TL the wyatt is indeed to powerfull.
I would use the word 'overpowered', but people have a horrible stigmatism attached to it.

Clownst0pper
21-05-04, 11:11
Ive found its only explosive modded earps that chew me up

olavski
21-05-04, 11:20
explosive ones are evil, yes. :)

Parappa
21-05-04, 11:22
If they balance weapons looking only at the damage they do, won't that lead to everyone using the highest tl weapon available. Personally I like to see some variation in what everyone uses.

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 11:27
If they balance weapons looking only at the damage they do, won't that lead to everyone using the highest tl weapon available.
If they balance it properly, then no.

It's the old defence vs offence thing.

Libby + phat resists/hp
or
Exec + soggy tissue

Parappa
21-05-04, 11:32
If they balance it properly, then no.

It's the old defence vs offence thing.

Libby + phat resists/hp
or
Exec + soggy tissue

But that's an issue mostly with the PE. Somewhat spy maybe.

EDIT: Sorry for slightly off-topicing.

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 11:45
Yes, it is really only a PE issue, tanks monks and to an extend spies will generall use the most powerful weapon availiable (which may not be the highest TL, though with lupus' weapons rework dmg will be based off tl).
Ie. CS, HL, HL/RoG/dizzy.

ezza
21-05-04, 11:48
i think its fine, ive had np from earp users so i voted no leave it as it is

ou7blaze
21-05-04, 11:48
It really depends on the modded type you're up against, for example if it's an xray or fire then the dmg is obviously gonna stack up and if the guy doesn't miss at all then it's all down to ur resists ... if it's explosive hmmm ... goodbye monkey : )))

ezza
21-05-04, 13:27
if it's explosive hmmm ... goodbye monkey : )))
by the same score i can take most monks down in about 4 hits with my PoB, yet i dont see people complaining about that weapon

onoz nerf the melee(which will be the threads coming soon proberbly :lol: )

Serpent
21-05-04, 13:32
yes yes nerf it !!1111oneoneoneoneoneone

boost hl and fire apoc, and const tool, u cant kill ne1 with it ahhhhhh BOOST IT!!!!

ezza
21-05-04, 13:34
yes yes nerf it !!1111oneoneoneoneoneone

boost hl and fire apoc, and const tool, u cant kill ne1 with it ahhhhhh BOOST IT!!!!
oh and make silent hunter like one shot kill, not cos im playing a spy or anything :angel:

Serpent
21-05-04, 13:35
yes ezza, and make hl's one shot killer!!!

whiners like u, morganth, destroyed the balance of neocron..

Morganth
21-05-04, 13:42
whiners like u, morganth, destroyed the balance of neocron..

Well, firstly I would like to point out to those who mis-interpretted my post that I am not whining about the Earp, or asking for a nerf. I am merely asking if anyone else feels it is overpowered in comparison to their setups, i.e. does it go through them like a knife through butter. Because it goes through my PEs setup, which until know has been fine against everything bar APUs.

I find it quite intimidating to be PvPing a Earp-using PE with my Beam of Hell, and find I am infact the one who is almost dead because the Earp has a higher damage output than my TL 105 wep.

EDIT:

by the same score i can take most monks down in about 4 hits with my PoB, yet i dont see people complaining about that weapon

onoz nerf the melee(which will be the threads coming soon proberbly :lol: )

No point whining now, looks like melee is getting a boost next patch, so might as well wait until then.

ezza
21-05-04, 13:44
Well, firstly I would like to point out to those who mis-interpretted my post that I am not whining about the Earp, or asking for a nerf. I am merely asking if anyone else feels it is overpowered in comparison to their setups, i.e. does it go through them like a knife through butter. Because it goes through my PEs setup, which until know has been fine against everything bar APUs.

I find it quite intimidating to be PvPing a Earp-using PE with my Beam of Hell, and find I am infact the one who is almost dead because the Earp has a higher damage output than my TL 105 wep.
well you gotta remember the earp user will proberbly have better resists than your gimp high tech dude. and also if you missed shots etc. however not seen BoHL used much so dont know what its like with aiming etc

Morganth
21-05-04, 13:47
well you gotta remember the earp user will proberbly have better resists than your gimp high tech dude. and also if you missed shots etc. however not seen BoHL used much so dont know what its like with aiming etc

On the damage side that is true, I can drop a tank 1v1 faster than an Earp using PE. I don't miss shots often, as the recticle on my BoH closes very fast when PvPing, and the RoF is pretty good.

Even when I am PPU buffed (except Holy Heal) an explosive Earp still hurts like hell.

Benjie
21-05-04, 15:13
No, but I voted yes. So did 9 of my friends, and they all think the wyatt is fine.

Vampire222
21-05-04, 15:29
the thing used to be totally useless, be glad its usefull now...

Gohei
21-05-04, 18:30
I think that the whole point of the Earp is that it's the "magnum" pistol of the game, like the slow fiering, bad aiming, and low range gun.

I've tried the explosive Earp and it does do a lot of damage, but the crappy range, rof and terrible aim conpensates it.

Would like to see the other damage types for Earp boosted tho (the damage over time). There crap as they are now.

Shadow Dancer
21-05-04, 18:50
I rarely see anyone use it. But then again I rarely see anyone. :rolleyes:

Wyatt Earp shouldn't be too strong, remember that people. It's a friggin TL 88 LOWTECH pistol.

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 19:10
Which is what I keep trying to say.
It's almost as bad as a black sun.
Except it's a rare, which makes it easy to cap, even rof.
Which means more defence and more runspeed.

Tbh, it's better than a libby, and it shouldn't.

Dru Blood
21-05-04, 19:11
if people spent more time playing the game than moaning about when they got ganked in a few seconds by a certain weapon. you might actualy be good at the game by now and put up a defence. :confused:

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 19:13
Though I don't know about the thread starter, I don't whine without due cause.
I personally think the CS is too powerful, but I leave that for the right time and place rather than starting a thread.

Morganth
21-05-04, 19:18
if people spent more time playing the game than moaning about when they got ganked in a few seconds by a certain weapon. you might actualy be good at the game by now and put up a defence. :confused:

Though I don't know about the thread starter, I don't whine without due cause.
I personally think the CS is too powerful, but I leave that for the right time and place rather than starting a thread.

Try READING the thread before posting.

Dribble Joy
21-05-04, 19:23
Remember how people will interpret anything you say.

Also read what I said, I did not say you were whining, I said I didn't know.
Your re-post of your original post shows an example of you being beaten by a wyatt user, prime meat for the anti-whine crowd. You constantly refer to yourself in it, not the weapon in relation to the others and it's tl.

If you don't want to be seen as a whiner, construct you posts better.

StryfeX
21-05-04, 19:25
The Earp is evil indeed when modded with explosive rounds. Similar to the Termi with explosive rounds in fact.

I've never had a problem with the DoT stacks from fire or xray (other than not being able to see anyway), it's only the explosive mods. I have quite good setups on both me PE and my Tank and explo Earps still hurt like hell, especially considering their TL and the fact that they are lowtech.

So in closing... Yes I think they are a little too powerful.

--Stryfe

SorkZmok
21-05-04, 19:27
For its low TL, yes.

Kikyo
21-05-04, 19:30
No I don't think it is overpowered it is a BITCH to aim with because of the low range. It does pretty good dmg but its the low range that affects it.

NS_CHROME54
22-05-04, 01:33
i didn't read thru all the pages, i'll just put in my 2 cents...

my personal experience with the WE (the barrel end) has never EVER led me to believe that it was overpowered, under if anything.

Vryce
22-05-04, 01:43
The aiming and terrible range balance the high damage nicely.

Exactly; I can pi.., err, spit farther than the Earp. As far as RoF, grass grows faster. :p

Judge
22-05-04, 02:06
Blimey... the words "Wyatt" and "Overpowered" in the same sentence. I never thought I'd see the day....

ResurgencE
22-05-04, 08:35
Ive fought plenty of good low-tech PEs who utilise both Libby and wyatt, with most of my characters.

With my Judge-wielding PE, i find the odds are generally even, because my setup is more defense-oriented than most other higher-end tech PEs. Thing is, my opponent and myself can both run-cast heal, so it all comes down to who can keep their reticle trained on their opponent more. Judge is equally deadly as the earp, only the aiming is alot better (from what you guys claim. I havent used an earp in 6 months.)

Going to lom to low-tech soon. Just for the heck of it.

Matthew.v.smith
22-05-04, 09:53
The Wyatt is pretty "OK" atm.
Does pretty damn high Dmg but at the same time keep moving and they dont get a chance to take advantage of that Dmg due to the aim :p

I'ts fine how it is atm.

Matty. :angel:

olavski
22-05-04, 10:57
Blimey... the words "Wyatt" and "Overpowered" in the same sentence. I never thought I'd see the day....

:D

Agree.

n3m
22-05-04, 11:02
yeah rofl, 1 year ago everyone was chucking their earps into plaza 1 because they were so useless

VetteroX
22-05-04, 11:03
I voted No, its not too powerful. I will explain:

VS mobs, I noticed it was very powerful, an explosive erp does almost as much damage vs a mob as Judge and lib (and thats with all of the burst hitting) overall, for a PE who can always be close range, erp is actually better then judge and lib vs mobs, as its easier to cap and never misses.

However, this is a pvp game, and what really matters on weapons is how they work pvp. I shot a tank who had defelctor up with my explosive erp, and did 29 damage. Judge does 40 to the same tank... Lib IF all 4 bullets hit, will do in the high 30's to a tank, and about 29 if 3 bullets hit... so that seems pretty even to me. Remeber, by burst, all 3 guns fire at approx the same speed, judge fires 92.5 bursts per min, lib fires 92.5 burts per min, and erp fires 92 burts per min. So, to a tank with Def up, wyatt does like 29-31, Lib does 20's - high 30's judge does 40.... tell me where the unbalance is there?

As many pointed out, you must also remeber that currently, Erp is a bitch to hit with, and has a pathetic range. Therefore, no, it is not overpowered... I really cant see how there can be an argument. The fact is, low tech pes FINNALY have an option besides lib, and the only people against it are the usual people who get killed by things they dont like... high tech users getting killed by people who didnt have to sink a bunch of points in TC, and apus getting thier asses dropped by a previously useless weapon. Don't nerf it.

Judge
22-05-04, 12:43
Strange as it may seem Vet appears to be right, and didn't flame anyone or boast at all to put his point of view across.

So here Vet, have a chufty badge. :p

xkorpio
22-05-04, 13:26
As someone said, if it was overpowered it will be the weapon-of-the-season, and its not, I barely see people using it in PvP (I tried and its not easy)

Maybe the only ones that can beg for a nerf are the Mobs :lol: they get nasty damage for the Wyatt :D

Lanigav
22-05-04, 21:06
Remember people, damage isn't everything in determining if a weapon is over-powered.

Yes, it does more damage than it should for its TL level, however:

1. It has the smallest range for any ranged weapon.
2. Even with a full lock on it can still miss shots.
3. It has a slow rate of fire.
4. It has no burst bonus (which the Libby does have and makes it the better weapon in certain situations).
5. Normal or Explosive modded Earps are almost entirely useless against anyone with a holy deflector.
6. Spies with PA can pretty much laugh at X-ray modded Earps.
7. PE's and Tanks with proper resists can laugh at Fire modded Earps. Add holy shelter to that and you might as well be using a TL 3 Nailgun.

So if anything, IMO, the gun is still underpowered! However, being that its a TL 88 gun, I'd say its definetely on target where it should be. The only thing that needs to be resolved is the recticle lock-on speed when up really close and the fact that it manages to still miss shots even with a full recticle up close.

There really, really, REALLY needs to be a higher TL rare of the weapon though IMO, much like the Paw of Tiger and Paw of Bear in the melee line. Something for lowtech spies to really bite their teeth into and low-tech PEs to aim for instead of having to go for the Judge or Executioner as the high TL weapon.

One things for sure, the Earp boost has definetely spiced things up a bit for pistol PE's. Its great to finally see some using them, and using them effectively instead of the usual Libby/Judge cookie cutter set up.

ResurgencE
27-05-04, 07:13
Dunno, really. When you compare the TL to the higher-end weapons, it does seem low in TL. But perhaps KK were looking at it from the perspective of it being essentially a low-tech PE weapon (since spies have better options), and therefore set the TL according to the capabilites of the PE.

For example, the CS for the tank is 5 lvls above str cap. The HL and FA are a few lvls above psi cap for apus. So the wyatt is 8 lvls above dex cap for the PE, and therefore though its easy to meet the requirements (just as it is for a tank to reach the 105 str prerequisites for the CS), it might still justify it being a viable weapon (albeit not in the cirumstances delineated by lanigav.)

As for what Vet mentioned, i had tested this a long time ago and found that some guns are equal in DoT. Prior to the rework of weapon TLs, the judge did the same amount of dmg to a mob in 2 shots as a libb did in 4. Imo, this wasnt right, since the Judge was not only higher in TL, but was also hi-tech. But in the case of the wyatt, its fine.

Just speculation, here.

WebShock
27-05-04, 07:44
nerf the nerf whiners!

dont tell me to re read the post either... you are whining. get a con setup nuff said.
the weapon is fine. it used to complete shit, now its as fun for a PE as a judge or a Lib.

ResurgencE
27-05-04, 07:47
Agreed. I found it balanced, and most effective in select situations only.

Its not the be-all and end-all of all pistols.

[CiX]Brad
27-05-04, 08:20
I think its a bit overpowered if you cap everything on it, but I love the Earp I play with it all the time on my Pistol Spy, I dont think it should be nerfed greatly.

$tormbringer
27-05-04, 08:54
an explosive wyatt earp whipes almost everyone out... (cept ppus ofc...)

if it was a tl 100 weapon i would say ok but with its tl the dmg way too high... im using an earpp myself on my pistol spy... it ownz takns take like 40 dmg with the first hit...

the aiming is not that bad and the rof is ok too... just the dmg is a little bit high...

DigestiveBiscui
27-05-04, 11:00
i dunno how in the hell so many people can say it's NOT overpowered

i'm pure lowtech now and wyatt > lib by a mile

Morganth
27-05-04, 11:03

Its because they thought this was going to be a nerf thread (which it isn't and never was) so immediately jumped on the bandwagon of people saying "No".

ResurgencE
27-05-04, 11:13
Not really.

I was just posting my opinion. Dont give a shite whether or not they nerf it.

Lanigav
27-05-04, 11:23

Because, like I said, damage isn't everything in determining if it was overpowered.

If this weapon were truly overpowered, every pistol user would be whoring it like mad.