PDA

View Full Version : Skillmanager Public Beta

naimex
20-05-04, 15:29
The new skillmanager has been released for beta testing, to see if there are more serious issues to deal with.

I donīt know if the STA formula is in yet, or if it is right, since I didnīt get the STA values and STA cap sent until early this morning..

HAPPY TESTING (http://www.naimex.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11)

The url leads to a more descriptive site, where you also have a direct link to the skillmanager

J. Folsom
20-05-04, 15:33
Has been posted (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=99240).

Though your post is more elaborate ;)

Well, I'll install and try it out, had no major problems with the last version though.

Also, for those people who run at 800x600, this new version is compatible with resolution smaller than 1024x768, so rejoice.

naimex
20-05-04, 15:34
Has been posted (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=99240).

Though your post is more elaborate ;)

Well, I'll install and try it out, had no major problems with the last version though.

Also, for those people who run at 800x600, this new version is compatible with resolution smaller than 1024x768, so rejoice.

yeah sorry about that, just woke up..

saw the post, so thought better write it here too, in case some of you never visit my forums :p

then i noticed online count at 12:44 today, I looked again here, and BAM another thread :(

I feel stupid now

kurai
20-05-04, 18:29
A few problems ...

Although items are listed in the .ini files, they don't all appear to be available in the drop-downs.

i.e. Bezerk2,3, a whole variety of pants etc etc

This is a different issue from that below, as the scaling of item lists is consistent (if not in the right place) and there are no gaps. The items simply aren't there to select.

Text/graphics layout is pretty messed in whichever resolution chosen (see attatched screenshot).

One possible reason may be that I use Large fonts - 125% (120 DPI) on this 1600x1200 desktop resolution.
The problem may not occur on systems using default font scales.

That often catches developers unawares ;)

Wish I could offer more positive points, but this beta is pretty much unusable for me because I can't click on some of the function buttons/switches as they are hidden behind other artifacts.
Sorry :(

Still - keep up the good work. I liked the original Skillmanager releases and the prior v2 beta, and I'm sure you'll sort it. :angel:

athon
20-05-04, 19:33
Running on Windows XP, I can't get it to load any values. Haven't touched any of the files, when I select a class, the indicator in the bottom right changes to the new class, but no values change to give me some levels, and the drop-downs all remain empty. Pressing the arrows won't change any values either.

Athon Solo

naimex
20-05-04, 23:38
A few problems ...

Although items are listed in the .ini files, they don't all appear to be available in the drop-downs.

i.e. Bezerk2,3, a whole variety of pants etc etc

This is a different issue from that below, as the scaling of item lists is consistent (if not in the right place) and there are no gaps. The items simply aren't there to select.

Text/graphics layout is pretty messed in whichever resolution chosen (see attatched screenshot).

One possible reason may be that I use Large fonts - 125% (120 DPI) on this 1600x1200 desktop resolution.
The problem may not occur on systems using default font scales.

That often catches developers unawares ;)

Wish I could offer more positive points, but this beta is pretty much unusable for me because I can't click on some of the function buttons/switches as they are hidden behind other artifacts.
Sorry :(

Still - keep up the good work. I liked the original Skillmanager releases and the prior v2 beta, and I'm sure you'll sort it. :angel:

they are not available in the list, because we have updated it

in options you will find the possibility to disable dynamic itemlist.

the dynamic itemlist, shows the imps and armor that you can use, not what is available.

I would know, I typed all requirements in myself.

edit : and I am pretty sure, that smoker didnīt think of people using abnormal font sizes..

I am of the belief, if you cant read it use a lower resolution.

personally i use small font sizes and 1600x1200 myself, and there is absolutely no problem with the skillmanager

kurai
21-05-04, 01:08
Already replied to Smoker directly regarding the missing items - that was just me not properly unchecking the dynamic option before I restarted the app and took the screenshot.

As far as my preference for the font scaling goes ... it's a simple idiosyncratic mathematical mismatch in Microsoft's default progression of screen resolution and font absolute pixel height.

To maintain the same resolution/dpi ratio as 1280x1024@96dpi (i.e. 100% `normal`) you need to shift to 1600x1200 with 120dpi fonts (i.e. 125% `large`)

If you look at from the point of view of absolute height of a character on a fixed size screen (21" with .26mm dot pitch/aperture grille, in my case) then 1280x1024@96dpi gives characters slightly larger than neccessary, and 1600x1200@96dpi is slightly too small for confortable reading.
1600x1200@120dpi is just right. (As Goldilocks said the the bears ;))

Anyway - all the mathematics and personal preferences aside ... it's a font scaling value that's part of the predefined Windows options rather than a `Custom` value.

Smoker is by no means alone - It's rather common for developers without full API documentation or with limited test rigs to assume certain values as fixed, rather than follow the font render APIs completely faithfully.
The reasons are obvious and entirely understandable, but it's a pain when they use a mixture of absolute and relative design elements that don't match. ;)

Doc Holliday
21-05-04, 01:15
wow. whats that last post saying kurai? 8|

kurai
21-05-04, 13:33
wow. whats that last post saying kurai? 8|Without all the babble ... just that some default graphics options aren't always the most appropriate ones on certain setups :D

Anyway - the issue has been fixed by Smoker with a proof of concept test build.

It now renders all the screen elements correctly in relation to each other. Good job :D