PDA

View Full Version : SEGA has been bought out.

Lanigav
18-05-04, 15:21
SEGA has been bought out by the Japanese company Sammy for $1.4 billion American. They will now serve as a subsidiery company for Sammy, under the title "SEGA Sammy Holdings Inc." Head over to www.pign.net for more details.

I'm feeling a might ill right now. Seeing an old workhorse like SEGA, which has been around for 40 odd years, get swallowed up by some giant japanese pachinko company is depressing.

Original monk
18-05-04, 15:23
money is a weird thing

Cytaur
18-05-04, 15:24
It all went downhill after they claimed dreamcast was pirate-proof... Well, I still have MY dreamcast and 3 original games... but how many "burned" games do I have :lol:

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 15:31

Kasumi
18-05-04, 15:40
Oh well.. It business.. ^^

TheGreatMilenko
18-05-04, 17:04
i thought Nintendo bought SEGA :wtf:

Kasumi
18-05-04, 17:07
I dont think anyone has bought SEGA.. But I might be wrong.. I wonder if SEGA has any information on there website.. ^^

J. Folsom
18-05-04, 17:09
i thought Nintendo bought SEGA :wtf:
Nope, they didn't.

SEGA was operating as an independant developer after their last few consoles had failed to be succesful.
They did do a lot of work for Nintendo, but they were not actually part of Nintendo.

---

Anyway, this was already a long time coming. There were talks of mergers between these companies before, as SEGA needed a solid financial base. Either way, I'd guess that Sammy has bought them for the quality of their development, and will still let them continue with their developing. With the only difference being a new logo and the fact SEGA now has a better financial base.

enigma_b17
18-05-04, 17:13
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, how can the inventors of Sonic the hedgehog, argreeably one of the best 2-d platform type games ever be selling out :(

prozium
18-05-04, 17:14
HURRY SELL YOUR STOXX
or buy more if its really low
MAKE SOME MONEY!

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 17:19
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, how can the inventors of Sonic the hedgehog, argreeably one of the best 2-d platform type games ever be selling out :(
Piss poor management, the Sega CD, the Sega 32X, the Saturn, the Dreamcast, and not making Super Monkey Ball 3.

Sigh... no more NiGHTS is a given. And Shenmue certainly won't get another release. Oh well, we've got more Sonic And A Host Of Fucking Retarded Sidekicks Stupid Shitty Adventure titles to look forward to.

Lexxuk
18-05-04, 17:26
Sega fell out with developers a long time ago, with their insitence on companies making 25% of the box or so, say "SEGA" which really annoyed them.

Sega fell out with users a long time ago, with their Sega CD and 32X, which soured a lot of people against Sega, which meant they couldnt compete.

When the marketing geniuses at Sony brought out the PS2, they marketed it perfectly, killing off Sega. Some people say the DC was better than the PS1, and, it probably was, but Sega's reputation with the people who buy the consoles was "will they just screw us over like they did twice before?"

prozium
18-05-04, 17:26
HURRY SELL YOUR STOXX
or buy more if its really low
MAKE SOME MONEY!

yes i agree...we should all either buy stock or sell depending on the fluxuation of the market...since there will obviously be some kind of change

prozium
18-05-04, 17:29
Sega fell out with developers a long time ago, with their insitence on companies making 25% of the box or so, say "SEGA" which really annoyed them.

Sega fell out with users a long time ago, with their Sega CD and 32X, which soured a lot of people against Sega, which meant they couldnt compete.

When the marketing geniuses at Sony brought out the PS2, they marketed it perfectly, killing off Sega. Some people say the DC was better than the PS1, and, it probably was, but Sega's reputation with the people who buy the consoles was "will they just screw us over like they did twice before?"

sony are basterds...imo...i also hate the xbox...nintendo is where its at

Clownst0pper
18-05-04, 17:57
The dream cast was, and still is the best console ever released.

Games, multiplayer, and it looked cool.

But the retards who actually play games (the general consumer) see a big name (sony) and think

"oh, lets buy that, it must be the best."

Lexxuk
18-05-04, 18:18

But the retards who actually play games (the general consumer) see a big name (sony) and think

I bought my PlayStation 1, simply because I would never buy Sega again (yes, I had a 32X :( ) anyhow, also around that that time, was the 3D0 console, which really kicked arse, but was marketed wrong tbh. So I bought the PS1, and on that, got some class games, X-Com, FF series, Suikoden, Alone in the Dark, and other really class games.

Even now, with the PS2 being, what, 2 1/2 years old? PS1 is still supported by developers with games coming out for it, which is why I bought my PS2 about 2 years ago, strong games, good support, and, Gran Turisimo 3 :D

jernau
18-05-04, 18:36
They got how much for it?8|

Last I heard SEGA were trying to sell a billion or so dollars of junk-bonds just so they could last another year or so. Why would anyone pay so much for a company in such an apalling condition?

IIRC Sammy already owned a quarter of SEGA anyway.

/edit - Yes it is sad to see them die but they really did do it to themselves and I'm sure that anyone buying them now will put a high value on the brand-name (there's not much else there to buy anymore) so I'm sure they will live on in some form.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 18:38
Last I heard SEGA were trying to sell a billion or so dollars of junk-bonds just so they could last another year or so. Why would anyone pay so much for a company in such an apalling condition?
The licenses were probably worth the most part of it. Granted, they're acquiring a company that's doing poor financially, but they've also acquired full use of the Sonic, Jet Set, Panzer Dragoon etc properties.

jernau
18-05-04, 18:40
The licenses were probably worth the most part of it. Granted, they're acquiring a company that's doing poor financially, but they've also acquired full use of the Sonic, Jet Set, Panzer Dragoon etc properties.
Yeah, just added edit as you were writing. :) Even so their debts looked monstrous so it seems very generous.

Lanigav
18-05-04, 18:51
Oh well, we've got more Sonic And A Host Of Fucking Retarded Sidekicks Stupid Shitty Adventure titles to look forward to.

That's if we're lucky. Sammy is primarily a pachinko company (they've dabbled in arcade games as well with Guilty Gear and the Atomiswave hardware, but have little to no console only experience), and many of the large pachinko companies are positively itching for new licenses to make machines out of. The gaming world learned a big lesson back when Aruze bought out SNK back in 2000. They allowed SNK's development team to languish and the company to decay, while Aruze raked in the dough releasing pachinko machines with SNK's licenses. SNK broke off with them a long time ago, but they still get into large lawsuit battles over use of licenses and SNK seeing no money for the use of, or flat out stealing of their properties. I can only hope Sammy doesn't make the same mistake with SEGA.

In other words, expect to see Sonic and Shenmue pachinko machines by the hundreds of thousands before you ever see a true console sequel to either of them.

Organics
19-05-04, 01:26

O_o

No it wasn't. The DC was decidedly average, the PS1 outstripped it easily in games titles. No good having multiplayer and looking cool if there are hardly any decent games for it. Yeah it depends on what games you like, but I don't remember many good ones when I had a DC. It was a POS imo. And Sony did a good job with the PS1/PS2, gameswise and marketingwise, I personally can't stand Sony but their games consoles have been incredibly successful and I've always liked the PS2 over any other console, especially the fucking steal-games-meant-for-release-on-PC-and-never-see-them-again-on-PC XBOX.

Anyway, best console Sega ever brought out was the Megadrive. Fucking fantastic selection of games, the DC was nothing in comparison either.

Maloch Octavia
19-05-04, 01:32
Good, glad to see them go.

I lost all faith in them at the Mega CD. Not to mention the 32x, and the Saturn, then finally the Dreamcast.

How dare they release such a promising line of consoles, and make utter shit for them, and stop supporting them far too soon. Especially the Saturn. It was a great console, I had some great games for it, but they stopped support so damn early. *Sighs*

The Dreamcast never reached its full potential.

Burn in hell for all my wasted money.

P.S - If you need to hear it, the Mega Drive is the best console ever made.

Lanigav
19-05-04, 08:10
Well, the bad news cometh.

All developer branchs for SEGA are being merged, with the possibility of redundancy lay-offs, and a big fight for leadership and power (there were at least 8 in-house seperate dev teams for SEGA).

yavimaya
19-05-04, 09:31
oh well, its all good, SEGA sucks, sucks hard... always has.
Saturn and dreamcast were the worst consoles ever, which is why they are no longer around... and never really were.

Gooooo the Nintendo! damn now just as soon as sony realise they have nothing on xbox and GC, and they leave the game market, life will be good...

Lanigav
19-05-04, 21:28
Your ignorance astounds me.

Opar
19-05-04, 21:34
I used to play Sonic on my old Megadrive for hours....

*immatates the old annoying white+blue 'seeeeeegaaaaa' beginning on Megadrive games*

Lethys
19-05-04, 21:39
Gooooo the Nintendo! damn now just as soon as sony realise they have nothing on xbox and GC, and they leave the game market, life will be good...

Though I think your comments on sega are just plain ridiculous, I would have to agree with this. Looking at the current qualities of games on the 3 main consoles, as well as the fact that with EA on board microsoft have pretty much cornered the online console market, by all rights the PS2 should be failing.

And I can't help feeling that the games industry would be far better off if sony had never got involved.

Ormy
19-05-04, 23:34
And I can't help feeling that the games industry would be far better off if sony had never got involved.

The gaming console market wouldn't be where it is today without Sony. Without the Playstation we would have no metal gear solid, no gran turismo, no GTA (!!!!), etc etc. Sony has done great things for the gaming industry, and continues to do so.

J. Folsom
19-05-04, 23:36
Without the Playstation we would have no metal gear solid, no gran turismo, no GTA (!!!!), etc etc.
Actually, they'd most likely have been brought out on other consoles.
Or failing that, just as PC versions. (At least for GTA and MGS)

This is because those games are not made by Sony, merely made for their console.

Geth
20-05-04, 03:06
Sega was a good company and made some great games back with the Genesis system, but they did make some bad designs that killed off their company. The Dreamcast was a good try at a recovery, but too little too late. I assumed they were more-or-less dead as a company when Sonic started appearing in Nintendo games.

But at least the game designers were alive in some respect, unlike now seeing a pachinko company has totally bought Sega out. It would be a waste to see them just get exploited for those stupid machines, I could never see the appeal of them. Or any slot machine for that matter. :confused:

Leebzie
20-05-04, 09:06
Looking at the current qualities of games on the 3 main consoles, as well as the fact that with EA on board microsoft have pretty much cornered the online console market

Im on the network beta test of SCEE's PS2 Online Gaming, some of the stuff they're bringing out is shockingly good, much more so than a lot of Xbox online titles. (Hardware : Online Arena, and Syphon Filter : The Omega Strain being my favs)

Very sad to see the creators of the game that *really* got me into gaming (Sonic) finally go.

Original monk
20-05-04, 10:00
Some people say the DC was better than the PS1, and, it probably was, but Sega's reputation with the people who buy the consoles was "will they just screw us over like they did twice before?"

same with neocron, people intend to remember negative aspects very well, and keep those in mind so they dont have to go true the same bullshit over and over again ...

t0tt3
20-05-04, 10:40
Nintendo > all <3

But then again cred to sony making it upfront the youth class and made the console thing a living not just a game....

Still to old for it need some thinking games and for that you need a mouse and a keyboard :D

*looking on my old N64*

Lethys
20-05-04, 10:57
But then again cred to sony making it upfront the youth class and made the console thing a living not just a game....

I wouldn't give them cred for that. IMO that's what has caused the games industry to go downhill so much. Sony marketed the PlayStation as being for everyone, which meant a huge influx of casual gamers coming into the market, and "hardcore gamers" becoming a small minority. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that casual gamers seem quite happy to pay full price for below-average, unoriginal, even unfinished games, as long as they look cool doing it.

Example 1:
Devil May Cry gets released for PS2, goes straight to number 1. A good game, but not a great one.

Around the same time, Rez got released, and was an utter failure, despite being a much better game. Why did it fail? Because people didn't want to buy it because it might make them look like a nerd. :rolleyes:

That is why there are so many crap games around on the PS2; the developers know that people will buy them.

Example 2:
Magazine review scores for Medal of Honor: Frontline
Official PS2 Magazine - 10/10
Official Xbox Magazine - 5.5/10
Edge - 5/10

I don't usually use magazine reviews to judge a game, but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.

@Soulblade - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow gets released on PS2 in about a month. Buy it. You'll probably never play Syphon Filter again :D And I've been on the Xbox Live beta since it started, so I've been playing Mechassault for 18 months, and I'm still not bored of it. In fact I am confident that MA2 will be better online than Halo 2.

At least you didn't insinuate that Killzone will be anywhere near as good as Halo 2. Then I would have to slap you :p

t0tt3
20-05-04, 11:05
@Lethys

I canīt agree more with you but still what they did is to bring the whole world into gaming. So they made bad remarks on good games thatīs their oppinion. And if the market wants 1000 bad games sure they will get it but then again there are allways some original games that rox. Thatīs why I love Nintendo giving out some of the kickass in game history.

The one that never played do know who Mario, Zelda, Metroid is mainly because they where the ultimate games back then. Sega? Well Sonic thatīs it what I can hold on to..... Sony is Sony + their big boob lara croft but thatīs it :D

*Yes I donīt know anything about FF donīt like aime thats for asians and other wannabies :p*

metalangel
20-05-04, 12:37
I can't let people cuss Sega up so mindlessly, displaying the astounding ignorance that ensures huge circulations for 'Official' Playstation 2 mags the world over.

The Sega CD - I have one, and I love it. Most of my favourite 16-bit games are on it. Yes, I bought a 32X, and was burned. However, I got serious mileage out of VR Deluxe and Afterburner, so I'm not completely despising the thing.

Now, the Saturn, the Saturn just needed more and better games. Unfortunately, a lot of games in the early 32-bit days were pretty shallow compared to what the 32-bits ended with... I can't help but wonder what the Saturn would have had later on in its life had it not died so suddenly.

The PS1, meanwhile, did not give the world GTA - GTA was a PC game.

Lethys, I find it ironic you chose that example (MoH Frontline) - I was playing it just last night and swearing at it for being shit - and yes, it's true, a lot of mags gave it high scores and others gave it low scores. I can't explain it, as I loved it at first until I began to see what a load of STUPID ANNOYING CHEAP BULLSHIT the game actually is. Ahem. Anyway.

Ormy, Metal Gear Solid is a terrible, terrible game. Stiff controls, constant overly-long cutscenes and rudimentary gameplay. Other 'action' games like Syphon Filter and the original Medal of Honour, with their fluid action, show it up for the trash it is.

The Dreamcast was not 'decidedly average' nor 'the worst console ever'. The Dreamcast had a tough fight being the first 128-bit machine. It was also the first to attempt online play as built-in. A lot of PS1 games also came out on the DC, with enhanced features. A lot of PC games were also converted, stunning games like Hidden and Dangerous.

Unfortunately, Sony threw around all this ludicrous hype promising the universe could be generated with the 'Emotion Engine' (oh puh-leeze) and trendy idiots believed it, deciding not to buy a DC when the PS2 would have online capabilities, MGS2 and Gran Turismo 2000 (yes, 2000) at LAUNCH. Sony completely failed to deliver all three of these promises but none of the idiots cared, and the fact the launch titles were, by and large, shite meant nothing as well.

I didn't get a PS2 until GTA3 was released, and it remains my favourite game on the system. However, the muddy PS2 graphics (any PS2 player will know what I'm referring to) and reams of lame, overpriced games has really disappointed me with the system. Which is why I'm planning to get an XBox.

jernau
20-05-04, 19:10
Lethys - Sony didn't invent crap games. Neither where they the first to bring computer games to the masses. They are a very recent addition to the industry and are simply doing exactly the same as Nintendo, Sega, Atari, etc. did before them.

Attaching some kind of religious fervour to any of those companies is crazy.