PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Portable: First Screens. Hmm, better GFX than NC.... ^^

Benjie
17-05-04, 23:53
:eek: This is scary!!
:p Does Handheld gaming look sexier than Online Gaming?
:cool: Just one step closer to nanobots.

:)

Screenshot from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, on the PSP.

Jest
17-05-04, 23:54
Dang that looks sexy.

Benjie
17-05-04, 23:57
This page has all the other PSP images.
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?siteid=60&sectiontypeid=2&subsectionid=1585&pagetypeid=7&articleid=30306&page=1

To be honest, although I really love Nintendo, I don't think they're going to be able to compete here.

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 00:01
In terms of technicality, isn't the GBASP Capable of that anyway?
Just no one's bothered yet?

Btw, a few of those look like they've been PhotoShopped and the few that aren't iirc are remastered FMVs -- which isn't hard to make look good.
Hell, even FFVI Had FMVs and that was *SNES*

Benjie
18-05-04, 00:03
In terms of technicality, isn't the GBASP Capable of that anyway?
Just no one's bothered yet?
No, the GBA SP can barely handle polygons.
The GBA 2 will be a completely different story.

Btw, a few of those look like they've been PhotoShopped and the few that aren't iirc are remastered FMVs -- which isn't hard to make look good.
I agree, some obviously look like video footage.

Ormy
18-05-04, 00:07
How long is it gonna be before my hand-held gaming system has a tiny case fan and dirty microsoft products all over it?

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 00:09
Tiny?
Microsoft?
Pull the other one! :lol:

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 00:39
I'm more excited about the DS. For one, the PSP will never fit in my pockets, and the battery life doesn't seem that hot. Hardly a portable console. Two, while the graphics look drop-dead gorgeous, the PSP doesn't do anything I haven't already seen/got. It has prettier graphics than my current handhelds. Right... come back when you have something remotely interested to show me.

:wtf:

No it didn't...

Drake6k
18-05-04, 00:54
If you get to see how the touchpad on the new DS works you'll like it a lot more. I thought Nintendo was completely fucked when I first saw the two... but after watching the E3 videos explaining each one Nintendo is gonna blow the PSP away.

...IMO

Benjie
18-05-04, 01:17
If you get to see how the touchpad on the new DS works you'll like it a lot more. I thought Nintendo was completely fucked when I first saw the two... but after watching the E3 videos explaining each one Nintendo is gonna blow the PSP away.

...IMO
I havn't seen the Nintendo console yet. Is that what the DS is?

*Loves Nintendo*
*Loaths Sony*

OpTi
18-05-04, 01:20
http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/index.jsp

ownage

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:27

...IMOThe NintendoDS isnt better than the PSP for several reasons.. but I am not going to argue since it is a matter of opinion and my head hurts to much to explain.. ^^

Edit: I was drink all night! My head hurts :\

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 01:27
16-player wireless LAN.
WiFi capability out-of-the-box, allowing for online play.
Two screens, both programmable in 2D and 3D.
Lower one is touchscreen.
Fairly compact design. As wide as a GBA. Clamshell design so it can take a beating.
Nintendo games.

I'm sorry, Sony, but all my splooge are belong to Nintendo this time.

The DS WILL change everything. Or at least, I hope it does. On a tech demo called Metroid: Hunters, the game demonstrated the wireless capabilities by having four-player deathmatches, and a class fighting system. Move with the D-Pad or ABXY buttons (depending on whether you're left/right handed) and touch the screen where you want to fire, meaning really quick aiming. REALLY quick. And holding down on the screen charged your shots. And pressing the lower left corner put you in Morph Ball mode. And... and...

I'M SPRAYING CUM EVERYWHERE!

I think I may actually drop a preorder on one this week.

Benjie
18-05-04, 01:29
I dunno Kusami, this movie of Metroid (and sum other stuff) on the DS looks pretty impressive...
Metroid Prime on the DS (and sum other stuff) (http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/video_ds_software_480.jsp)

*edit*
You touch the screen where you want to shoot? OMG THATS PWNAGE!!!11

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 01:35
Benjie, I know it's a little late, but the screenshot you've shown is from Metal Gear Solid: Acid. Not The Twin Snakes, which is a GameCube remake of the original Solid.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:36
I dunno Kusami, this movie of Metroid (and sum other stuff) on the DS looks pretty impressive...
Metroid Prime on the DS (and sum other stuff) (http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/video_ds_software_480.jsp)
The PSP Uses DUal-Layer 1.8GB DVDs .. Which the DS DOES NOT.. This is one of many things greater than the DS..

Edit: Anyone know how to get rid of drinking headache?? :\

Benjie
18-05-04, 01:38
Edit: Anyone know how to get rid of drinking headache?? :\
Be Tetotal. I gave up alcohol when I turned 18, and I never look back.
Very evil drug imo.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 01:38
The PSP Uses DUal-Layer 1.8GB DVDs .. Which the DS DOES NOT.. This is one of many things greater than the DS...
I fail to see what they can do that is so impressive with 1.8GB UMDs. Especially on a handheld. In fact, it's a bit of a disadvantage, in my opinion, because I'd have to buy memory sticks for my save files. I'd rather portable gaming stick with cartridges for now.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:39
I fail to see what they can do that is so impressive with 1.8GB UMDs. Especially on a handheld. In fact, it's a bit of a disadvantage, in my opinion, because I'd have to buy memory sticks for my save files. I'd rather portable gaming stick with cartridges for now.Blah I give up I dont want to argue but something keeps telling me to.. Compare the specifications of both things and you will see why the PSP is alot better..

Edit: I also think the PSP comes with a built in Memory stick..

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 01:43
Blah I give up I dont want to argue but something keeps telling me to.. Compare the specifications of both things and you will see why the PSP is alot better..
- Lower battery life. "Around 8 hours for music, about 2.5 hours for video" isn't portable.
- PSP is about the width of a Game Gear.
- One screen.
- No touch screen functionality.
- Movies that you want to watch on PSP HAVE to be bought on UMD format. Proprietory formats = fail.
- http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6563/lolpsp.jpg FAIL!
- Did I mention it's big?
- It'll ******** my pocket.
- It's fucking huge.

Anyway, please argue your side. This is hardly a flame war or anything :lol:. I just don't see what's so fascinating about PSP apart from the graphics whore side of things.

Edit: If anyone here cares about E3 (I know it's very few, but still...) then this video http://www.n-philes.com/m/e3floor/nintendopressconference/NPC2004.avi.torrent is required viewing. Is there a link to the Sony conference floating about? I had it on my HD but deleted it, and kind of want to see "Hi, my name is Kaz and I like to BORE PEOPLE TO DEATH WITH POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS" again.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:46
Those are cosmetic(?) specifications.. I mean the real specifications.. The things that make them work.. the PSP has more capabilities than the DS that is why it doesnt last as long.. Laptop is portable and only has battery life of 5 to 8 hours. So are you saying Laptops arent portable???

Edit: Also the DS isnt small either it is almost or as big as the PSP.. ^^

Benjie
18-05-04, 01:48
Size Matters!

It's a handheld. (well the psp isn't)

the pics are taken with female / male hands lol.. thts gotta account for something :p
How do you know it's not a guy in a Pink shirt? :p

Damn you mumbly fish, you've made me want to buy a Game Gear!!1

Ascension
18-05-04, 01:48
Also the DS isnt small either it is almost or as big as the PSP.. ^^
the pics are taken with female / male hands lol.. thts gotta account for something :p

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:50
Size Matters!

It's a handheld. (well the psp isn't)
Benjie the DS is almost as big as the PSP.. I dont understand.. :\

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 01:50
Those are cosmetic(?) specifications.. I mean the real specifications.. The things that make them work.. the PSP has more capabilities than the DS that is why it doesnt last as long.. Laptop is portable and only has battery life of 5 to 8 hours. So are you saying Laptops arent portable???

Edit: Also the DS isnt small either it is almost or as big as the PSP.. ^^
http://emu.makii.pl/imagetemp/NDS_niestety_002.jpg

Sorry, but the DS is smaller than the PSP. Like I said, the size of a GBA when folded.

The DS has wireless LAN and WiFi, as well as two screens and touchscreen. I'd call that more capabilities than the PSP, which touts video and MP3 audio as extras. And sorry, but laptops aren't really portable in the same sense a GBA is portable.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:54
The DS has wireless LAN and WiFi, as well as two screens and touchscreen. I'd call that more capabilities than the PSP, which touts video and MP3 audio as extras. And sorry, but laptops aren't really portable in the same sense a GBA is portable.Umm the PSP comes with WiFi and USB2.0., it also has Wireless LAN.. ^^

Edit: So DS has a Touch Screen and its smaller.. So its better?

Edit: The PSP *is* better than the DS in almost all way.. Except Size and it has a touch screen..

Benjie
18-05-04, 01:57
At the end of the day, it's the games that matter the most.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 01:58
At the end of the day, it's the games that matter the most.Yes that why I didnt want to argue.. It doesnt matter.. SOrry if I took your thread offtopic..

Benjie
18-05-04, 02:02
Sorry if I took your thread offtopic..

No no.... console wars are kinda fun. :) Plus you both put up some very valid points. I guess only time will tell which one succeeds.
Personally I want Nintendo to do better, mainly because they lost out on sales with the Gamecube. Nintendo are very good at there best, and I don't want to see them taken out of the race.

Omnituens
18-05-04, 02:03
- http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6563/lolpsp.jpg FAIL!
what kind of fucking wank arguement is that? it shows that the Sony has a bigger screen yet smaller size case to the Game Gear.

NOTHING TO DO WITH THE N-DS

Btw, specs on the PSP are subject to change, as are probably the DS

Benjie
18-05-04, 02:06
it shows that the Sony has a bigger screen yet smaller size case to the Game Gear.
The game gear is Ancient. It looks like a 1980's mobile phone.
I'm not sure if you enjoy handheld gaming, but If you do I'm sure you will realise how important it is that the consile fits into your pockets easily.

Size Matters.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 02:07
No no.... console wars are kinda fun. :) Plus you both put up some very valid points. I guess only time will tell which one succeeds.
Personally I want Nintendo to do better, mainly because they lost out on sales with the Gamecube. Nintendo are very good at there best, and I don't want to see them taken out of the race.
The PSP will be released later this year I think. So I buy one when it released and tell my personal feelings on it..

Benjie
18-05-04, 02:08
The PSP will be released later this year I think. So I buy one when it released and tell my personal feelings on it..
That will be good.
I'm sure Japan will get it earlier, so you can be our agent Kusami. :p

Any news on the DS release date over in Japan?

Omnituens
18-05-04, 02:10
WHEN IT'S DONE™

oh wait wrong company.

oh wait, RIGHT company.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 02:19
That will be good.
I'm sure Japan will get it earlier, so you can be our agent Kusami. :p

No I have no heard of a release date.. Probably much later this year or early 2005.. ^^

Lexxuk
18-05-04, 02:31
Somebody asked earlier about Windows based handheld console (the console wars dont interest me, its all about brand favouritism, someone will always prefer one brand over another).

Anyhow... .. Eve .. ...

Eve also provides Wi-Fi for multi-player WLAN bouts and for mobile Internet access. The unit runs the embedded version of Windows XP, so the unit should essentially function like a PC.

Eve will sport a 4in, 640 x 480 LCD. The system's processor spec. is known, however. Eve is based on a 533MHz VIA Eden CPU; a VIA CN400 chipset, which provides 266MHz DDR SDRAM support and the company's six-channel audio sub-system, Vinyl; and a VIA 200MHz S3 UniChrome Pro integrated graphics core that yields a 200m pixel per second fill rate, with two textures per pixel, and a triangle fill rate of 4.5m polygons per second.

The graphics core uses shared system memory, of which there will be 128MB. Eve also contains a 20GB hard drive. In addition to 802.11b, the unit offers TV-out, two USB 2.0 ports and a CompactFlash slot for I/O.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/17/moma_eve_launch/ x86 based handheld console :p

/edit @ Kasumi - drink lots of water, your headache is probably caused by dehydration ;)

G.0.D.
18-05-04, 03:10
Both look promising but...
-http://media.psp.ign.com/media/664/664947/imgs_1.html (How can nintendo compeat with THAT?
-PSP is smaller then a game cube take a close look at that compairison photo you will see they are out of scale...

Now nintendo one is pretty sexy to, but If I wanted a cell phone or a pda when im sitting on an airplane,bus,car etc I would get one O_o

SypH
18-05-04, 03:35
I would have to go with Nintendo purely because they are the absolute masters of the handheld market. They know how to work that shit.

That and I hate Sony;)

jernau
18-05-04, 04:44
I would have to go with Nintendo purely because they are the absolute masters of the handheld market. They know how to work that shit.You mean like the GBA screens that basically don't work in any real-world lighting conditions?

That and I hate Sony;)Agreed

Looking at those pictures I reckon my mobile phone has a bigger screen than the Nintendo so I don't really see the point in that.

Opar
18-05-04, 08:59
I dont care because PC > All......
PC > All......
PC > All......
PC > All......

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 09:05
GBA SP is a wonderful console and the DS --I see as a simple extension of that.

Sony has a hand held console that requires DVDs, now, I'm sorry but DVDs are NOT PORTABLE, they require a lot of care and attention with storage, same as CDs, YES, They're superior storage wise, and equal to carts in access speeds these days, but, no, they are most definately not what you'd call easily portable media.

Carts (GBA Carts even moreso than GBP/GBC Cards) are tough, work after longer periods of time, less easily corrupted.
A hand held should really always be looking at using them, even if it's a restriction on the console in terms of functionality the fact that it is much more durable is what wins it for me.

The combined screen space in comparison between DS and the PSP -- Wins out, not by a lot, but just the fact that it has more screenspace and is physically more compact, is another win.

I don't know anything on the system specs of the two but tbh I doubt there'll be a big enough difference for me to give a crap one way or the other.

Sony may be able to grab a few racing games / think you're rude whilst playing druglord games.
But uhh, nothing quality, nothing that beats Tactics Advance or Kart, or even the old Mario World 2, rotfl.

I'm still expecting to see secret of mana on this system, and there are several other games that the GBA SP have that I prefer over most titles on the PS2, let alone PSP.

More later eh?

Opar try playing your PC while you're on the bus-- once you're successful I'll concede your point.

Otherwise, sooooo not worth it.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 09:06
I dont care because PC > All......
PC > All......
PC > All......
PC > All......
Just keep telling yourself that ;)

Opar
18-05-04, 09:07
As for Handheld looking better than Online Gaming....

Below are shots of EQ2 and your MGS

Maybe the EQ screenie was slightly photoshopped :rolleyes:

Pardon me if my attachments dont show up....... I dont know how to make them show up :p

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 09:24
To most people, graphics are a way distant second in handheld gaming. And gaming in general.

Unless you're a whore for pretty graphics and silly amounts of polygons, PCs have nothing on consoles.

Dajuda
18-05-04, 09:54
Still looks like a console game.

Siygess
18-05-04, 10:16
On an entirely unrelated note, if you have a GBA / GBA-SP with the right hardware, or just a GBA emulator, go here (http://www.gbax.com/GBAX2004.html) and download Super Gem Smash Advance. It's no "Advance Wars" or "FF Tactics" but it's still something to be proud of :D

As for the PSP vs DS arguement, I say sod the specs wait and see what the software support is like after release. The Dreamcast and Gamecube (and to an extent) the GBA each had a dozen excellent games but not much else, while the Playstation series has always had a few great games but thousands of mediocre ones :)

EDIT: Corrected a few spelling errors

jernau
18-05-04, 10:22
To most people, graphics are a way distant second in handheld gaming. And gaming in general.

Unless you're a whore for pretty graphics and silly amounts of polygons, PCs have nothing on consoles.
LOL. What twaddle.

Saza
18-05-04, 11:46
IMO the DS will smash the PSP due to 4 reasons.

Numero 1

The DS is the most original handheld console ever. It's incoporated technology that will set it apart from any contenders.

Numero 2

Ninty have always, and will always be, the masters of compat technology. Checkout Gamecube - so much better in specs than the PS2 (almost as good as the X-Box) at half the size. And seeing as people have seen the power of the GBA, what can Sony really offer on the PSP that will give it an edge over the DS? Games which have been tried and tested on the GBA will be better, oh so much better on the DS, games which will never be seen on the PSP.

Numero 3

The PSP is HUGE. This is the PORTABLE console market Sony. I want to be able to carry the console in my pocket, not have to strap it to some belt which you will probably charge an extra £20 for.

Finally, Numero 4

@ Kasumi, the technology of which you speak that the PSP has is compltely outstripped by:

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_overview.jsp

I rest my case.

*SUBLIMINAL* -----> BUY DS AND GAMECUBE, BURN PS2 AND PSP <----- *SUBLIMINAL*

Edit:

That and I hate Sony;)
Doubly agreed.

jernau
18-05-04, 12:56
No.1 - Such as what? I haven't read all the gumpf but I can't see anything amazing in there.

No.2 - Gamecube is not comparable to, let alone better than, the PS2 even though it is several years newer. This is reflected in the prices, number of games, sales, longevity, etc., etc. Comparing it's tech to the X-Box is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Also wrt compact tech I would highlight the GBA as a very bad design. Wrt games there is no shortage of titles on the PS/PS1/PS2 range. If anything Nintendo have a bigger problem here.

No.3 - It certainly does look massive. Until I actually hold both in my own hands though I can't say how big a problem that is. Most of the images linked from this thread are biased in this regard so I won't give them too much credence. I am sure you are right about Sony fleecing you for a clip/wallet/whatever though.

No.4 - The only thing on there that looks better is the touch screen. Whether or not that is useful is hard to say without trying it out. On a screen that small the control resolution could be terrible, especially if you are using a finger rather than a pen.

Kal
18-05-04, 13:03
the PSP will not stand a chance against the PSP, and i'd go as far as saying that the GBA-SP would have as well, i could go into in depth reasons but they've all already been said.

what i will say is that sony does not understand the portable market, they think that power = better but dont realise that conveniance (fitting into your damn pocket) is what sells portables, as long as there are good games, and the games companys are leaving sony for nintendo and microsoft all the time. Also that screen will scratch up soo easily, clamshell designs ARE the future of portable gaming.

The PSP is almost as big as the gamecube itself, you'd probally be better buying a clip on screen and a wireless controller and taking your GC on the bus with you.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 13:15
GBA SP is a wonderful console and the DS --I see as a simple extension of that.

Sony has a hand held console that requires DVDs, now, I'm sorry but DVDs are NOT PORTABLE, they require a lot of care and attention with storage, same as CDs, YES, They're superior storage wise, and equal to carts in access speeds these days, but, no, they are most definately not what you'd call easily portable media.

Carts (GBA Carts even moreso than GBP/GBC Cards) are tough, work after longer periods of time, less easily corrupted.
A hand held should really always be looking at using them, even if it's a restriction on the console in terms of functionality the fact that it is much more durable is what wins it for me.

The combined screen space in comparison between DS and the PSP -- Wins out, not by a lot, but just the fact that it has more screenspace and is physically more compact, is another win.

Numero 1

The DS is the most original handheld console ever. It's incoporated technology that will set it apart from any contenders.Its not "original".. The DS is based off the Nintendo 64 platform.. Its just a compact Nintendo64

I don't know anything on the system specs of the two but tbh I doubt there'll be a big enough difference for me to give a crap one way or the other.

Sony may be able to grab a few racing games / think you're rude whilst playing druglord games.
But uhh, nothing quality, nothing that beats Tactics Advance or Kart, or even the old Mario World 2, rotfl.

I'm still expecting to see secret of mana on this system, and there are several other games that the GBA SP have that I prefer over most titles on the PS2, let alone PSP.

More later eh?

Opar try playing your PC while you're on the bus-- once you're successful I'll concede your point.

Otherwise, sooooo not worth it.The PSP uses small DVDs.. As small as the GameCube.. Those are portable.. What the DS uses has alot less funtionality.. I think the PSP screen is so big is because it playeds Movies! I Am sure they could of made it alot smaller.. The specifications on the PSP and DS are greatly different.. The PSP can do everything your PS2 can.. the DS cannot do anything compared to the PS2.. The best it can do is what the Nintendo64 was possible to do..

Finally, Numero 4

@ Kasumi, the technology of which you speak that the PSP has is compltely outstripped by:

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_overview.jsp

I rest my case.the PSP has everything mentioned on that page except of a touch screen, more battery life and its a little bit bigger. ^^ It also doesnt have "dual screens"

Numero 1

The DS is the most original handheld console ever. It's incoporated technology that will set it apart from any contenders. It uses Nintendo64 technology.. So your using a compact Nintendo 64..^^

what i will say is that sony does not understand the portable market, they think that power = better but dont realise that conveniance (fitting into your damn pocket) is what sells portables, as long as there are good games, and the games companys are leaving sony for nintendo and microsoft all the time. Also that screen will scratch up soo easily, clamshell designs ARE the future of portable gaming.
There has only been one person in the "handheld" market and that is Nintendo.. Sony might make the PSP big but the size will change if people do not like it..

Edit: I own a Gamecube, GBA, PS2... So I do not *hate* Nintendo or Sony I think they are both good at what they do. Regrdless of what I say its how fun the games are not the console.. Atleast to most people. I love graphics in a game its the most important thing to me so I would prefer a PSP but will probably own both PSP and DS.. ^^

Saza
18-05-04, 13:43
No.1 - Such as what? I haven't read all the gumpf but I can't see anything amazing in there.
The touch and dual screens set it apart. Yes most of the technology is also on the PSP, but that fact that there IS more on the DS makes it more original.

No.2 - Gamecube is not comparable to, let alone better than, the PS2 even though it is several years newer. This is reflected in the prices, number of games, sales, longevity, etc., etc. Comparing it's tech to the X-Box is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Also wrt compact tech I would highlight the GBA as a very bad design. Wrt games there is no shortage of titles on the PS/PS1/PS2 range. If anything Nintendo have a bigger problem here.
Oh you are SO wrong. The PS2 has a clock speed of 300 MHz. Gamecube is 485 MHz, while X-Box is 733 MHz. Then take a look at the testing of Soul Calibur. PS2 version comes nowhere near the graphical standard of GC or X-Box. The XB just has the edge. Also, Sales mean nothing when it comes to the actual break down of consoles specs - the PS has sold more because it was released so much earlier. Plus you never commented on the size of the two consoles. Gamecube can fit in my hand. But I must concede, your point of games is very true, PS2 is miles ahead of Gamecube on the actual game front.

No.4 - The only thing on there that looks better is the touch screen. Whether or not that is useful is hard to say without trying it out. On a screen that small the control resolution could be terrible, especially if you are using a finger rather than a pen.
Good point, but obviously the touch screen will be tweaked to optimum performance, and if it isn't any good then they will probably ditch it. I think it will work out quite well, especially if you have small fingers :D.

Edit: Read Mumbly's first post... They have tested the touch screen. And apparently is worked like a dream.

jernau
18-05-04, 13:58
The touch and dual screens set it apart. Yes most of the technology is also on the PSP, but that fact that there IS more on the DS makes it more original.2 half-sized screens vs 1 full-size. No difference. Clam-shells always break and exposed screens scratch. No advantage.

Oh you are SO wrong. The PS2 has a clock speed of 300 MHz. Gamecube is 485 MHz, while X-Box is 733 MHz. Then take a look at the testing of Soul Calibur. PS2 version comes nowhere near the graphical standard of GC or X-Box. The XB just has the edge. Also, Sales mean nothing when it comes to the actual break down of consoles specs - the PS has sold more because it was released so much earlier. Plus you never commented on the size of the two consoles. Gamecube can fit in my hand. But I must concede, your point of games is very true, PS2 is miles ahead of Gamecube on the actual game front..You also need to compare the architectures. The PS2 has a higher fill-rate and can do more operations/second I believe. You have big hands if a GC fits in it comfortably but I would hardly say the PS2 is large for a console. The XBox is massive but the PS2 is fine and actually a more useful shape than the GC if you want to argue aesthetics as you can put things on it.

Good point, but obviously the touch screen will be tweaked to optimum performance, and if it isn't any good then they will probably ditch it. I think it will work out quite well, especially if you have small fingers :D.My guess is that it will mainly be for menus and stuff and that the gamepad will be the main control system. If so it's just a gimmick so who cares.

Saza
18-05-04, 14:14
2 half-sized screens vs 1 full-size. No difference. Clam-shells always break and exposed screens scratch. No advantage.
But with one full sized screen, you are viewing only one piece of the action. With these two screens (and they are the same size as the SP are they not, which is large enough for me!) you get to view say the race, AND an interactive map of the circuit, which is much easier to see than a tiddly little thing in the bottom corner.

Also, I've had my SP for a year now and I take it to school with me. Its a bit battered, but the two halves are still connected fine. I've broken two clam shell CD players in the same time and I use them less often...

The PS2 has a higher fill-rate
Last I checked GC pixel refill rate was 6 times faster than PS2... and 3 times faster than X-Box actually...

The XBox is massive
Oh so true :).

but the PS2 is fine and actually a more useful shape than the GC if you want to argue aesthetics as you can put things on it.
Mmm, but if you think about it, you wont need to put stuff on the console if there is more room to put it on the floor... and seeing as my Gamecube fits nicely into a shelf which could never hold the PS2, the GC size is much more useful IMO. And my point is is that the Gamecube has better specifications AND is a smaller size, thereby PROVING that Ninty are oh so much better than Sony at the compact console market - which is what we are really arguing about is it not?

My guess is that it will mainly be for menus and stuff and that the gamepad will be the main control system. If so it's just a gimmick so who cares.

Move with the D-Pad or ABXY buttons (depending on whether you're left/right handed) and touch the screen where you want to fire, meaning really quick aiming. REALLY quick. And holding down on the screen charged your shots. And pressing the lower left corner put you in Morph Ball mode. And... and...
:rolleyes:

Edit:

In fact, check out the console specs here:

http://www.gamersmark.com/editorials/view/49/

I know a few of the Gamecube ones are missing, but the GC/XB are better than PS2 in almost everything.

And yes, I do realise I made a mistake with 485MHz. Its actually 405MHz, but still, higher than the PS2.

J. Folsom
18-05-04, 14:23
You mean like the GBA screens that basically don't work in any real-world lighting conditions?Which was solved with the SP with the back-lit screen? Yes, it sucks having to buy a new version of a console just for that, but on the other hand the SP also is more portable, and it's rechargeable batteries are just plain sexy, as it takes about 2 hours to recharge fully when the power is off, but with the back-lit screen on you can play for around 10 hours.

2 hours downtime, for 10 hours of perfectly visible play is good. As even on vacation it's rare you'll ever be more than 10 hours away from any type of electrical outlet to recharge.

And as always, when discussing consoles, you should always talk about the latest version of said console.

---

Anyway, I'd have to find out how long the PSP and DS can last without recharging/switching batteries to figure out if they're good portable consoles; generally speaking that's one of the more important factors for a portable console, after all what's the point of everything looking great if you can only have the screen active for about an hour? (That's actually in reference to the first line of I-Mode Cell Phones here in the Netherlands; those could only have their full-coloured screen on for about an hour before the battery needed to be recharged. The latest ones don't have this anymore, luckily.)

Of course, that's all probably influenced by my opinion of importance on hand-helds:

Portability (Which includes both size and time it can be kept turned on) > Gameplay > Sound > Graphics

Saza
18-05-04, 14:25
Portability = Gameplay > Sound = Graphics
Thats my view.

Mr_Snow
18-05-04, 14:45
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~seamusmc/e3.jpg
Wow, the PSP is so much larger then the SP!

The GBA SP which was just nintendo's attempt at a free cash cow?

And if you want to compare the size of the xbox and the gamecube, xbox can play dvd's, 4 controller ports, harddrive, xbox live and probably more stuff I'm forgetting :/

Saza
18-05-04, 14:48
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~seamusmc/e3.jpg
Wow, the PSP is so much larger then the SP!
Erm... if you haven't noticed thats the SP unfolded. The PSP doesnt fold, and imagine trying to carry that! Just - imagine it!!!!

Celt
18-05-04, 14:54
Erm... if you haven't noticed thats the SP unfolded. The PSP doesnt fold, and imagine trying to carry that! Just - imagine it!!!!When it folds, it's almost double as thick as the PSP.
My pockets are fine for length, dunno about fitting width...

Saza
18-05-04, 14:57
And imagine the scratches on the screen after a year carrying that about...

Celt
18-05-04, 14:58
And imagine the scratches on the screen after a year carrying that about...Remember the gameboy, and the gameboyadvance?
Remember they didnt fold?

Dont be silly in defending the DS.

Saza
18-05-04, 14:59
Hence why I never bought a GBA or GB...

Cytaur
18-05-04, 15:33
*didn't read through 5 pages of debates*

but my point is Sony > Nintendo .... Nintendo's for kids - go play your Metroid crap, while Sony people play MGS :p

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 15:44
Bollocks!
Fail. Thank you, drive thru.

Saza
18-05-04, 18:00
FFS, anyone who gives the arguement "Nintendo is for kids" can just fuck off because its the most stupid view ever. HAVE YOU PEOPLE PLAYED ETERNAL DARKNESS? OR ACTUALLY DISCOVERED HOW HARD SUPER MONKEY BALL IS? OR EVEN DARED TO WONDER THAT THE GAMES THAT NINTENDO MAKE ARE BRIGHT AND CHEERY, NOT KIDDY GAMES? NOT ALL GAMES HAVE TO BE DARK AND BROODING LIKE MGS FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Next person to bring up THAT bollocks arguement again should have their post deleted, cuz its more crap than saying para is balanced.

'Nuff said. Wheres Jernau and Kasumi, they actually give decent arguements.

jernau
18-05-04, 18:05
But with one full sized screen, you are viewing only one piece of the action. With these two screens (and they are the same size as the SP are they not, which is large enough for me!) you get to view say the race, AND an interactive map of the circuit, which is much easier to see than a tiddly little thing in the bottom corner.The pics look like the total areas are very similar so there's no reason you can't do exactly the same on the PSP just it'll tile horizontally rather than vertically. Tbh though I doubt anyone would want that if they had a single screen.

Also, I've had my SP for a year now and I take it to school with me. Its a bit battered, but the two halves are still connected fine. I've broken two clam shell CD players in the same time and I use them less often...YMMV as they say but clamshells are very prone to failure.

Last I checked GC pixel refill rate was 6 times faster than PS2... and 3 times faster than X-Box actually... No. Not even close.

Mmm, but if you think about it, you wont need to put stuff on the console if there is more room to put it on the floor... and seeing as my Gamecube fits nicely into a shelf which could never hold the PS2, the GC size is much more useful IMO. And my point is is that the Gamecube has better specifications AND is a smaller size, thereby PROVING that Ninty are oh so much better than Sony at the compact console market - which is what we are really arguing about is it not?Depends on your living room I guess but everyone I know with a PS2 has it neatly stored in their cabinet or under the TV and everyone with a GC has a mess of wires next to the TV. GCs always look untidy whenever I see them. See above wrt tech.

http://www.gamersmark.com/editorials/view/49/

I know a few of the Gamecube ones are missing, but the GC/XB are better than PS2 in almost everything.Almost every single important stat is missing for the GC and the only one present it is by far the lowest.

@J. Folsom - I was using it as an example of bad design not comparing it to anything.

/edit - wrt screen scratching - It's really not that much of an issue these days. Non-scratch materials are very good. Unless you want to keep it in a posket full of razors you probably won't have a serious problem. I carry a mobile phone with an exposed screen every day in the same pocket as my loose change and it's fine.

J. Folsom
18-05-04, 18:12
@J. Folsom - I was using it as an example of bad design not comparing it to anything.Okay, I can agree with and accept that.

WRT which console has the better graphics, from what I remember from being posted/said on various locations on a pure hardware basis it was basically "XBox > NGC > PS2". But as I seem to remember most of that coming from press releases from the companies the console was from it's reliability is questionable.

For space taken, I have to agree with Jernau. While the NGC might take up less space, it's shape is not practical in most cases for fitting it somewhere. While the shapes of the PS2 and XBox (Due to their low height) can be fitted in easily in the usual "space" most TV cabinets have for video recorders and the like.

Kal
18-05-04, 18:12
i am a fucking moron, dont take anything i say seriously

but my point is Sony > Nintendo .... Nintendo's for kids - go play your Metroid crap, while Sony people play MGS :p

damn right, you are a moron

Benjie
18-05-04, 19:02
Jernau, graphics come second/third on handheld consoles. Your obviously not into handheld gaming, or you wouldn't care. True, they are important. But size and initiative is *more* important.

the argument that the PSP is as big as the SP when it's unfolded is reficulous, as the whole reason the SP folds is so you can fit it into your pocket!
I have a GBA SP, and anyone who says they can't fit it into there pockets would be lying.

Benjie
18-05-04, 19:07
Nintendo's for kids
Sony are for caffinated teenagers so plauged with there own hormones that they need to steal cars, see pretty colours, and generally feel cool by playing 15 and 18 rated games, when we all know any mature person wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Your point?

jernau
18-05-04, 19:20
Jernau, graphics come second/third on handheld consoles. Your obviously not into handheld gaming, or you wouldn't care. True, they are important. But size and initiative is *more* important.
I agree, where did I say otherwise?

Omnituens
18-05-04, 19:23
I'm on the Sony side here - I dont give a shit about clock speed or spec when it comes to consoles, all I care about is the games, and PS/PS2 have the best games. Period.

Speed doesnt matter, its what you do with it.

And as for size/shape of the console, PS2 is by FAR the best. Looks the best and is more flexible.

another inportant aspect - Pad design. again, PS/PS2 wins hands down. X-Pox has the worse pads EVER.

Shadow Dancer
18-05-04, 19:25
Nintendo does indeed make too many kiddies games. Very annoying. But they do have some occasional quality titles, which is why I purchased the game CYOOB. I also have a ps2. I also think console wars are idiotic. While you people are busy saying which system is better and why, I'll be busy playing all the kick ass games of each system AND the pc.

me>all

:D

Kal
18-05-04, 19:29
I'm on the Sony side here - I dont give a shit about clock speed or spec when it comes to consoles, all I care about is the games, and PS/PS2 have the best games. Period.

Speed doesnt matter, its what you do with it.

And as for size/shape of the console, PS2 is by FAR the best. Looks the best and is more flexible.

another inportant aspect - Pad design. again, PS/PS2 wins hands down. X-Pox has the worse pads EVER.

PS2 has shit games compared to GC

PS2 looks shit, xbox is almost as good looking lol

GC has the best pads, im pretty sure everyone has realised that by now

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 19:30
I'm still waiting for a default peripheral for a console to come out, that's better than the N64 Pad.

The GC Pad was potentially an improvement but they didn't do a few things right.

I do own PS2/GC and my sister owns a Xbox, so I do have all 3.
Tell ya now though, the Xbox, is never, ever, ever used.
Infact I think it's in the attic now with my SNES.

the PS2 is only ever used for NFSU and FF:Series - because there isn't anything else worth a shit on the console.
the GC is only ever used for Chronicals, NightFire(Multiplayer NightFire with the GC Pads = Best version of the game, all my mates love it when they totally wrote it off on the PS2 and PC), and Zelda.

This is what I have to say about the range of games in terms of PS2 vs GameCube, and, it's exactly the same story as with the PS1 vs N64.

They have the same number of quality games, just that, the PS2 has a far, far wider range of COMPLETE AND UTTER BOLLOCKS.

Shame they have absolutely ZERO Quality control.

Shadow Dancer
18-05-04, 19:31
Personally I think PS2 has more quality games than Gamecube.

Kal
18-05-04, 19:32
every good game ps2 gets other than about 3 is on every other console also

its dead in terms of indivuality

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 19:33
I think otherwise. I have three games in my rack for the PS2, the other twenty or so have gone in a box. Those games are Disgaea, Ico and Rez. Still, all down to personal taste.

Barbie's Horse Riding Adventure is a kiddie game. Mario and Wind Waker are NOT.

And one last thing...

Fuck the console wars. A good game is a good game is a good game.

Benjie
18-05-04, 19:33
I agree, where did I say otherwise?
Here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1384890#post1384890)

Omnituens
18-05-04, 19:34
every good game ps2 gets other than about 3 is on every other console also
Yeah

AFTER it gets ported FROM the PS2.

Kal
18-05-04, 19:36
nope, why would any publisher want to start with the underdog?

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 19:37
Yeah

AFTER it gets ported FROM the PS2.
Because other consoles give a crap about QC and Sony publish anything, anything at all, DESPERATELY clinging to that "we sell more shit" title, LITTERALLY.
Whilst the other consoles will typically get somewhat edited versions with specific bugs fixed.
(COUGH The bullshit with Socrap1/2 (Errr SOCOM))

Kal
18-05-04, 19:54
Because other consoles give a crap about QC and Sony publish anything, anything at all, DESPERATELY clinging to that "we sell more shit" title, LITTERALLY.
Whilst the other consoles will typically get somewhat edited versions with specific bugs fixed.
(COUGH The bullshit with Socrap1/2 (Errr SOCOM))

also the other versions often get extra features and always enhanced graphics, and GC often gets a GBA link feature put on

Clownst0pper
18-05-04, 19:55
Sony have claimed they will port GT4 onto the PSP with zero loss of detail.

*faints*

Kal
18-05-04, 20:06
yeah, no loss of detail, 90% loss of gameplay ;)

Opar
18-05-04, 20:06
Handheld? WTF?

You want Handheld, buy an Etch a Sketch.

Nuff said.

Lethys
18-05-04, 20:12
I used to own a PS2, but i quickly noticed that 95% of the time I was actually playing PSone games on it, so i sold it and got a GC and PSone. I've owned an Xbox since launch day and never thought once about selling it. As far as I'm concerned there are far more great games for the GC and Xbox than there are for PS2, and I'm not just talking about Halo and Metroid Prime.

WRT the original topic, I will be buying a DS. A port of Mario 64 is the only reason i need.

yeah, no loss of detail, 90% loss of gameplay ;)

Well, if it plays like the first 3 GT games, then a 90% loss of gameplay will hardly be noticeable :lol:

Clownst0pper
18-05-04, 20:15
The argument of sony vs nintendo is a long one.

My view is,

Sony is a consumers console, aimed towards teenagers, these being young adults, who enjoy overly violent, and generally linear games, with little imagination, and every once in a while, afew good games will pop by, MGS2, GT4, FF10-2, even the majority of these are sequals, overly forumlaic, and generally repetative.

Nintendo are a companey which strives to produce not only games of quality, but games of varitey, they push boundrys as they know the consumers who buy the nintendo GC, although stereotyped as a childs console, are often older than being teenager. With games such as Metroid, Zelda, SSB, Soul Calibre, Vieutiful Joe, it is highly unlikely that these games can be classed as chilidish, despite there colourful nature, when 99% of children could never get past the first level of any of them.

And in the swings and round about of it all, 99% of commercial games are available on all 3 consoles anyway, so how people can compare the titles as individual is beyond me.

Each console has there specific games, Xbox is halo, PS2 is GT, and GC is Zelda, whichever way you look at it, regardless of the marketing of a console, a game is only childish dependant on the difficulty setting you put it on when it loads up.

And i gaurentee 99% of Ps2 players put it on easy, and punch in the relevant cheats the moment the game starts.

Console wars? Wheres my PC... :rolleyes:

BombShell
18-05-04, 20:19
am waiting for the gaming market to crash because when it does alot of peeps are goint o get off their ass and start making some good games agin.

and in my opinon i htink psp is goin to be a flop but thats me it might work but seeing alot of hand held games comin out in the past thay all died look at game gear it was suppose to take the market who wouldnt want color tv :)

and y it crashed be cause it suxed to much batterys and who to say ps wont and hav expensive addons.

Edit/ the reason y cube is childish is because. most of their games are ment for children. games like soul caliber was just on game cube it was a full on marketing when thay released it to all consoles. PS xbox and game cube by from publishers basically and make deals and game cube buys more of the kiddy games then ps and xbox. until i see like deid or alive on game cube i still think its a child console system :)

Lethys
18-05-04, 20:32
OK so maybe a lot of GC games are aimed at kids. But that doesn't make them any less good, nor does it make me ashamed or embarrassed at all to be playing them.

As Mumbly said;
A good game, is a good game, is a good game.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 20:37
PS xbox and game cube by from publishers basically and make deals and game cube buys more of the kiddy games then ps and xbox. until i see like deid or alive on game cube i still think its a child console system :)
I personally think DoA Beach Volleyball is one of the most childish games I've ever had the displeasure of playing - but if you're going to go down that route, GameCube got the UNCENSORED version of BMX XXX. Nintendo didn't put any censorship laws on Acclaim (spit). The PS2 version was, by comparison, a black-bar/blurred-areas spectacular.

Cock locked, ready to rock.

BombShell
18-05-04, 20:43
I personally think DoA Beach Volleyball is one of the most childish games I've ever had the displeasure of playing - but if you're going to go down that route, GameCube got the UNCENSORED version of BMX XXX. Nintendo didn't put any censorship laws on Acclaim (spit). The PS2 version was, by comparison, a black-bar/blurred-areas spectacular.

Cock locked, ready to rock.

well u make a point but i was just saying that because ps2 or xbox still out does them even in horror and such. but as a recommandation on a console for a 8 your old i say game cube. but the resident evil thing i hate game cube hav because thats liekt he only game ongamecube ill ever play which pisses me off. i dont know wut happen ps2 and resident evil. unless it has to do something witht he gameboy release of resident evil gaiden. but i dontk nwo the story but i do know gamecube fixed wut happen between final fantasy.

jernau
18-05-04, 20:54
Here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1384890#post1384890)I was referring to the second part not the first.

I probably should have edited the quote to make that clear.:o

nope, why would any publisher want to start with the underdog?
LOL - PS2 pisses on every other console sales-wise. Definitely not an underdog.

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 21:05
Depends on if you're talking Game vs Game Sales or overall unit sales Jernau -- you wont actually notice much of a difference if you measure game vs game :)

Underdog most definately isn't the word I would have used though.

Maybe testing ground, or dumping ground for beta products.

Meh, whatever.

jernau
18-05-04, 21:12
The PS2 has sold both more units and more games. Even if you only compare top-ton to top-ten PS2 is miles ahead.

I don't really care about the crap games. IME every platform has them and having more is a sign of success because more developers see your platform as dominant and worth writing for. Considering how much harder the dev process is for the PS2 than the XBox or GC this is even more true.

Most people I know only buy games they expect to play to death on consoles and the PS2 owners seem to have more than anyone else. I know this is subjective but it's what I've seen.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 21:14
well u make a point but i was just saying that because ps2 or xbox still out does them even in horror and such. but as a recommandation on a console for a 8 your old i say game cube. but the resident evil thing i hate game cube hav because thats liekt he only game ongamecube ill ever play which pisses me off. i dont know wut happen ps2 and resident evil. unless it has to do something witht he gameboy release of resident evil gaiden. but i dontk nwo the story but i do know gamecube fixed wut happen between final fantasy.
Umm... don't mean to be rude, but I barely understood a word of that. But from what I can get...

Capcom and Nintendo have pretty good relations right now. PS2 probably couldn't provide the performance needed for the various Resident Evil directors to flesh out their fantasies (rather like how that guy from Tecmo said only XBox had the raw power he wanted for his games) and XBox sells like Powdered Shite in Japan, so it's a bit of a no-brainer for the exclusivity deal.

Not that you're missing much anyway - Resident Evil is a bit of a wet towel. Always has been. And I'd say always will be, but RE4 looks hot.

BombShell
18-05-04, 21:30
Umm... don't mean to be rude, but I barely understood a word of that. But from what I can get...

Capcom and Nintendo have pretty good relations right now. PS2 probably couldn't provide the performance needed for the various Resident Evil directors to flesh out their fantasies (rather like how that guy from Tecmo said only XBox had the raw power he wanted for his games) and XBox sells like Powdered Shite in Japan, so it's a bit of a no-brainer for the exclusivity deal.

Not that you're missing much anyway - Resident Evil is a bit of a wet towel. Always has been. And I'd say always will be, but RE4 looks hot.

yah my thoughts in that post was random i admit. and re4 does llook good. but i would say ur probly right.

Kal
18-05-04, 22:25
PS2 is old and dying, 2 of PS2's top games lineups, those being final fantasy and metal gear solid are also now appearing on gamecube.

PS2 is past its sell by date and publishers have realised this, gamecube and XBox (i think) are continously evolving to suit the market.

this is why PS2 is dying.

and yes, i own a PS2

amfest
18-05-04, 22:25
I still play my dreamcast over any other system 8|
Been playing shikigami no shiro 2 which came out for the dreamcast this past march in japan (err i think it's march :p )

Anyhow I was born in 76 and had my childhood in the 80s so I hardly see anything wrong with the psp verison. I'd prefer a big screen like that. And you can argue all you want about the 2 small split screens on the nintendo one . but when I'm old and still have my eyesight we can debate again about how the portability of it folding/fitting in your pocket was better :p

Kal
18-05-04, 22:28
they are intended for 2 different markets tbh

PSP for people with big pockets

NDS for everyone else

jernau
18-05-04, 22:39
In what way is it dying?

If it's because the tech is old (which it is) then GC will die too as it's no better and probably faster as it has a smaller market share.

Omnituens
18-05-04, 22:47
they are intended for 2 different markets tbh

PSP for people with big pockets

NDS for everyone else

what is this issue with size? if you are travelling somewhere and you have time to play a Handheld, i think you are going to have a bag with you. therefore IMO the size is going to tear my pockets argument is void.

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 22:49
what is this issue with size? if you are travelling somewhere and you have time to play a Handheld, i think you are going to have a bag with you. therefore IMO the size is going to tear my pockets argument is void.
When I use my SP I have my jeans, a shirt, and a jacket. Fitting into your pocket is a VERY important issue for handhelds.

Kal
18-05-04, 22:55

cause personally i dont carry a handbag :rolleyes:

jernau
18-05-04, 22:58
I think it's a lifestyle thing. The main time I would use a portable game-system is for commuting or travelling on business and I have a bag then. Most other times if I travel I am driving. For the few occasions where size would be that big a constraint I'd rather not have either and play whatever is on my phone.

This obviously won't be the case for everyone though.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 22:58
PS2 is old and dying, 2 of PS2's top games lineups, those being final fantasy and metal gear solid are also now appearing on gamecube.

PS2 is past its sell by date and publishers have realised this, gamecube and XBox (i think) are continously evolving to suit the market.

and yes, i own a PS2

PS2 is not dieing.. Xbox no one cares about atleast people who care abotu consoles.. Gamecube isbetter than Xbox.. and PS2 is better than both.. Obviously you havent seen the PSX?? ^^ It suppose to be a much upgrade version of PS2 its suppose to be able to compete with Gamecube abd XBox.. ^^

Omnituens
18-05-04, 22:59
cause personally i dont carry a handbag :rolleyes:
O_o

i said bag you idiot.

Plus, even if a Handheld could fit in my pocket, i wouldnt put it there. it would go in my bag.

Celt
18-05-04, 23:04
I'd put it in my jacket pocket, or my bag, I would never put it in a pants pocket

Ormy
18-05-04, 23:11
To all of you saying "nintendo are t3h ub4r masters of the handheld console", remember, they were pretty much masters of the gaming console pre-1994, then Sony came along, and PWNED them completely. Who's to say they won't do the same with the PSP?

Personally, screw DS and PSP, i want one of those Eve things, they look awesome.

Clownst0pper
18-05-04, 23:12
PS2 is not dieing.. Xbox no one cares about atleast people who care abotu consoles.. Gamecube isbetter than Xbox.. and PS2 is better than both.. Obviously you havent seen the PSX?? ^^ It suppose to be a much upgrade version of PS2 its suppose to be able to compete with Gamecube abd XBox.. ^^

I have to disagree with you kasumi, the xbox currently is selling more than the PS2 in america/europe and britain, this is mainly due to its price/bundles, games, and the new white version.

Sony are so worried theyve actually slashed the price of the ps2 to 89 pounds in america, desperatly trying to resolve sale loss.

Kasumi
18-05-04, 23:13
I have to disagree with you kasumi, the xbox currently is selling more than the PS2 in america/europe and britain, this is mainly due to its price/bundles, games, and the new white version.

Sony are so worried theyve actually slashed the price of the ps2 to 89 pounds in america, desperatly trying to resolve sale loss.hmph! America and Europe? The asian market for games is much bigger.. America and Europe are a minority.. ^^ Or do you think that they cut price because the PSX is about to be released? Gamecube is beating Xbox in console thing.. ^^ PS2 still sells more consoles a year than Xbox and Gamecube together.. :/

Kal
18-05-04, 23:18
yeah sells more second hand cause everyone is selling theirs ;)

Clownst0pper
18-05-04, 23:18
hmph! America and Europe? The asian market for games is much bigger.. America and Europe are a minority.. ^^ Or do you think that they cut price because the PSX is about to be released? Gamecube is beating Xbox in console thing.. ^^ PS2 still sells more consoles a year than Xbox and Gamecube together.. :/

PSX? what is this?

In britain im aware the gamecube is dieing, working in GAME (britains biggest game retailer) we sold next to none as a companey, quite embarrasing.

As for the asian market, nintendo are always loved there, japanese are crazzy :D

As for the gamecube, personally its my least favourite, I often think Nintendo have got stuck in a 'rut' with continual reuse of old franchises. :rolleyes:

Mumblyfish
18-05-04, 23:23
PSX? what is this?
Hideously overpriced and useless PSX with "media centre" capabilities. So expensive you can't help but laugh.

One of my friends has one. Or had one, rather. Had it for a week then flogged it on eBay. "Shit."

Benjie
19-05-04, 02:36
At the end of the day, the GBA SP isn't dead yet, far from it. It still outsells the Nokia Ngage, even though the Ngage is tecknically a generation ahead.
When the DS comes, all the serious handheld gamers who own GBA SP's will immediately buy from the company they *know* will stick around, and who they trust the most.

This is obviously Nintendo's DS, and not the Sony PSP.

And besides, handheld console graphics age a *lot* faster than standard console graphics. The buzz gets old quick, and when that happens, Sony will be dead in the water while Nintendo will still have all the important specifications. Gameplay, Strong developers, Hardcore Fans, Initiative Designs, portapility, and everything else.

Sony have claimed they will port GT4 onto the PSP with zero loss of detail.

*faints*
This is why the PSP will only ever be a fad. All the Fanbois are intrested in one thing and one thing only.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

If you want graphics, buy a frikkin PC with Farcry. What are you even doing buying a handheld?

jernau
19-05-04, 02:43
That's a whole lot of unfounded faith for someone that wants to accuse others of being "Fanbois".

Why do you think Sony would pull out of the market? That above all things you say makes no sense to me.

BombShell
19-05-04, 02:48

Sony are so worried theyve actually slashed the price of the ps2 to 89 pounds in america, desperatly trying to resolve sale loss.

ps2 well soon drop in price since the xbox did. so thay can compete.

atleast i think it will :D

Dajuda
19-05-04, 02:50
Xbox > all. (Besides PC of course)

Omnituens
19-05-04, 03:23
Xbox > all. (Besides PC of course)
Speaks the truth. Volume-wise.

amfest
19-05-04, 04:39
Speaks the truth. Volume-wise.
LOL

If you want graphics, buy a frikkin PC with Farcry. What are you even doing buying a handheld?
Well umm so they can play at home with the graphics they want and then if they have to travel they don't have to worry about having crappy graphics? I think for a graphics buff this is a good thing. Not everyone is interested in such portability that it can fit into your earlobe for ease of carrying or something like that. As long as I can carry it on myself, have good games, nice screen size that won't let me go blind in my old age, nice graphics for appeal factor, I'm in. In the end I"ll wait around and see it in action before I start ditzing a system. It's lame to spectulate on the games that aren't out yet and that's what counts doesn't it? A system can be super sleep and powerful . . and yet if it has crap games .. it's going to fail.

40$Poser
19-05-04, 04:42
hmph! America and Europe? The asian market for games is much bigger.. America and Europe are a minority.. ^^ Or do you think that they cut price because the PSX is about to be released? Gamecube is beating Xbox in console thing.. ^^ PS2 still sells more consoles a year than Xbox and Gamecube together.. :/

...actually sony had to cut the ps2 price down in an effort to do something since XBox for the past few months has been outselling the ps2 (At least in europe/america that I'm aware of, figured it'd be the same over in japan.. but I could be wrong).

Benjie
19-05-04, 05:03

Well umm so they can play at home with the graphics they want and then if they have to travel they don't have to worry about having crappy graphics?
Having modern graphics is important, but the PSP has only slightly better graphics than the DS.

The DS has a *much* better controll system, and it's way more portable. Those two factors alone are much more important that slightly better graphics.
Anyone who has tried to play a FPS on with handheld controlls will know exactly what I mean.

Thats the reason I think the DS will be better. On top of that I just have more faith in Nintendo. They know the market, they know what they are doing. Sony obviously don't know what they are doing by making the PSP as big as they have done, and by porting all there PS2 games onto it: Handheld systems demand handeld style games like Advance Wars 3.

Kasumi
19-05-04, 05:22
...actually sony had to cut the ps2 price down in an effort to do something since XBox for the past few months has been outselling the ps2 (At least in europe/america that I'm aware of, figured it'd be the same over in japan.. but I could be wrong).The biggest sales of Xbox is in Europe and America.. The last time Micorosft had something about the Xbox not many people went to it.. That is here in Japan.. Xbox is not very popular here like the Gamecube isnt popular in other countries outside of japan.. ^^ Like i said though Europe and America are a minority.. Yes they want sales thats why they lowered the price.. but they are still a minority and are no where near loosing this "console race" Xbox is still behind the Gamecube.. ^^

Thats the reason I think the DS will be better. On top of that I just have more faith in Nintendo. They know the market, they know what they are doing. Sony obviously don't know what they are doing by making the PSP as big as they have done, and by porting all there PS2 games onto it: Handheld systems demand handeld style games like Advance Wars 3. Umm PSP has alot better graphics than the DS.. not a little bit better.

Benjie
19-05-04, 05:40
PSP has alot better graphics than the DS.. not a little bit better.
I don't really think that thats true. The PSP graphics are obviously better, but it's not like there a generation appart or anything.

I think the graphical difference between the Ngage and the GBA is a lot bigger than the difference between the PSP and DS, and we all know how much the Ngage sux.

Kasumi
19-05-04, 05:41
I don't really think that thats true. The PSP graphics are obviously better, but it's not like there a generation appart or anything. I think the graphical difference between the Ngage and the GBA is a lot bigger than the difference between the PSP and DS.If you think soo.. ^^ NintendoDS can only do graphics as well as Nintendo64.. PSP can make graphics as well as PS2.. That is a "genreation" apart.. ^^

Benjie
19-05-04, 05:42
The PSP isn't as good graphics as the Playstation 2 Kusami.
Sony are just good at marketing, and they have everyone thinking that it is.

If there is one thing sony are *very* good at, it's marketing.

Kasumi
19-05-04, 05:46

Look at image and tell me that isnt PS2 graphics.. And that is first set of game to be released for PSP.. :\

Edit: Also you said in your first post that the PSP will be great.. Now you say DS is better? But PSP has more capabilities than DS..

Benjie
19-05-04, 05:50
Look at image and tell me that isnt PS2 graphics.. And that is first set of game to be released for PSP.. :\
There is an obvious difference.

This is from the PS2 version. The rendering is crap on the PSP compared.

jernau
19-05-04, 05:50

From a technical standpoint I can't see any reason they wouldn't be as good if you take the lower resolution of the screen into account.

I can't see any reason why "The DS has a *much* better controll system" though. That's 100% speculation until you actually play the games on both systems. I doubt either will be any good for FPSs though.

Rai Wong
19-05-04, 06:27
I'm on the sony side and kasumi here:

lets admit it what games would u use for touchscreen? puzzle games? a few shooting games? I fail to see it as anything useful apart from for PDA uses why would I hold a D-pad in one hand and use the touchscreen on another for shooting?

ok the stupid dual screen oooh it looks so cool, can display race tracks and maps....beyond that? dunno...you look at one screen at a time, if you're engaged in something you don't have time to look at both screens. get over it even rpgs like FFX don't need a dual screen running. It just plain annoys developers, especially when the game will look daft if it didn't support the dual technology...

I remember everyone saying sega and nitendo knows there shit when sony first entered the console market? result? sure XBOX and gamecube hold out, but which is the most popular console still? the PS2, everyone comes out on the format. The only super sucessfull MMORPG is FFXI and that runs on PS2 for godsakes apart from a few select games like metroid, zelda or halo I can't think of alot of thingsthat runs on XBOx or gamecube but not on PS2.

Yes sony is stupid with their pricing and proprietery formats but beyond that lets take alook at the technology here. The PSP is about the size of the DS unfolded, ok clanshell design wins hands down, but the PSP boasts a much larger screen that can offer alot more in terms of gaming, and when you're playing they are practically the same size.

Transport problems with the PSP? yes DS has a slight edge, but whats stopping you from buying a small protective case like you did for GBA and GB? Now we look at the technology DVD input format allows games of much larger size, better graphics, content, and full motion videos, how many people wanted a pocket FFVII? and how large is that? I can see it being put on a dvd? nitendo DS? no change. Sure the memory stick thing means a seperate medium for saves but think again memory stick allows flexibility for you to move game saves around to friends. have a transportable media gives a whole new edge on the PSP. like photo, printers, and PS2.

Needless to say the graphics and sound on PSP will own, lets admit the truth, battery life statements nowadays are not reliable. I personally think there will be little difference between the battery life of PSP and DS, but PSP provides a single larger screen in comparison to two chopped off seperated dual screen, that pisses developers more. Sure the innovative games always go to Nitendo, but the games that matter? those will go to PSP, think about playin resident evil on PSP compared to DS. You'd get better everything.

They are at draw with wifi capability and it all depends on the games for that, and while PSP has sheer processing power it means opportunities for better games, and the developers will like that it means more freedom for them and link that with sony's corporate ability in offering attractive deals.

Benjie
19-05-04, 06:33
think about playin resident evil on PSP compared to DS. You'd get better everything.
Thats a point I made earlier. Sony are idiots for converting those types of games to the PSP. Nobody wants to play Resident Evil on a Handheld. Sony are converting console style games to handheld, which is *not* what true handheld fans want.

Hence Sony don't know what they are doing.

Rai Wong
19-05-04, 06:37
Thats a point I made earlier. Sony are idiots for converting those types of games to the PSP. Nobody wants to play Resident Evil on a Handheld. Sony are converting console style games to handheld, which is *not* what true handheld fans want.

good point...maybe you're right I wouldn't know until I see it. It depends on the controls, but then if PSP had controls like PS1, thenm I don't see the problem on playing resident evil on PSP it be exatcly the same

but I understand what you mean. who the hell would want to play resident evil whilst waiting in an train? I'd rather play tetris :)

Benjie
19-05-04, 06:44
who the hell would want to play resident evil whilst waiting in an train? I'd rather play tetris :)
Did you check out the DS software trailer at the official Nintendo site?

Some of the footage is weird. It shows how you can "scratch" someones back with the touch-screen, which is a little weird, a bit like the Eye Toy for the PS2.

Check out the Metroid clips, and imagine touching the screen where you want to shoot. First person shooters have never converted to handhelds well due to the fidly controlls. Thats why Nintendo thought up the touch screen I think.

It also shows of some of the examples of the Duel screen. One acts more like a Keyboard that you can write on using your finger, while the other is a display.

Looks pretty cool to me. :cool:

*edit*
here it is. It's the software trailer on the right.
http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/index.jsp

Rai Wong
19-05-04, 06:52
Yes it makes sense but the exact gaming use of the dual screen is questionable, for example you can only look at one screen at a time...well I can't see two screens at the same time anyway. As for the touchscreen shooting? sounds more like a hassle then a convenience for me.

These two features are really like sony's eye toy or that dreamcast LCd memory stick thing really...it doesn't actually add so much. But i'm sure developers can think of very cool things with the dual screen, I can imagine it being very useful for chatting or things that require a constant display of detailed data or text

Benjie
19-05-04, 06:56
Duel screens and touch display alone would be nothing but gimicky features, but they are used in conjunction with each other.

The DS has a mouse, and a dynamic mouse mat, for example. Imagine that?

When your on the bus, being able to play games were you just touch the screen is fun.
I must admit I am impressed with Sonys graphics and marketing. It's just not what I'm looking for in a handheld companion right now. :p

*edit*

I just saw the video again, and the cartriges look a similar shape to the GBA's cart's. If so that might mean it's backwards compatible with both the GBA, and the origional Gameboy.

That would be cool. Anybody know if this is the case?

ou7blaze
19-05-04, 10:19

*edit*
You touch the screen where you want to shoot? OMG THATS PWNAGE!!!11

h4x ...

Kal
19-05-04, 14:57
Anybody know if this is the case?

it is

Kasumi
19-05-04, 14:58
Duel screens and touch display alone would be nothing but gimicky features, but they are used in conjunction with each other.

The DS has a mouse, and a dynamic mouse mat, for example. Imagine that?

When your on the bus, being able to play games were you just touch the screen is fun.
I must admit I am impressed with Sonys graphics and marketing. It's just not what I'm looking for in a handheld companion right now. :p

*edit*

I just saw the video again, and the cartriges look a similar shape to the GBA's cart's. If so that might mean it's backwards compatible with both the GBA, and the origional Gameboy.

That would be cool. Anybody know if this is the case?
Nintendo makes all there consoles compatible with each other so I am sure it has something compatible with the GBA..

good point...maybe you're right I wouldn't know until I see it. It depends on the controls, but then if PSP had controls like PS1, thenm I don't see the problem on playing resident evil on PSP it be exatcly the same
PSP has the same control thing as the PS1 and PS2 controlers.. ^^

Sony are idiots for converting those types of games to the PSP. Nobody wants to play Resident Evil on a Handheld. Sony are converting console style games to handheld, which is *not* what true handheld fans want.
People do want to play *those* types of games on a handheld.. You are the only one that says you dont want them.. ^^

Celt
19-05-04, 15:08
http://www.ferrago.com/image/3562/4
Fucking own

Kal
19-05-04, 15:43
People do want to play *those* types of games on a handheld.. You are the only one that says you dont want them.. ^^

you obviously dont know 'people'

PSP has the same control thing as the PS1 and PS2 controlers.. ^^

really? cause i'll be darned if i can see 1 analog stick, nevermind 2

Mumblyfish
19-05-04, 16:37
It has an analogue pad below the D-Pad. But it looks goddamned uncomfortable. D-Pads are the win for handhelds, by far. And an analogue stick that doesn't stick out much WILL be awkward to use.

And why haven't Sony fixed their shitty D-Pads yet? They HURT after a while. JOIN THE D-PAD IN THE CENTRE, YOU PRICKS!

And while I'm still ranting about control, am I the only person who finds the PS2 controller to be just up there with the Dreamcast's in terms of godawfulness? I hate the diamond button layout.

Ormy
19-05-04, 17:14
http://www.ferrago.com/image/3562/4
Fucking own

Own? if by own you mean screenshot from Gran Turismo 3, overlayed on the image of the PSP with photoshop in like 3 seconds, then yes, own indeed.

Saza
19-05-04, 17:16
Own? if by own you mean screenshot from Gran Turismo 3, overlayed on the image of the PSP with photoshop in like 3 seconds, then yes, own indeed.
I couldn't have said it better myself...

Edit: OMFG Ormy, me, Benjie, and doyle all come from Lincolnshire. Which town?

Lincolnshire is Neocron Central :D

Celt
19-05-04, 17:19
Own? if by own you mean screenshot from Gran Turismo 3, overlayed on the image of the PSP with photoshop in like 3 seconds, then yes, own indeed.That track isnt in GT3, and that castrol supra is different from the GT3 one.

QuantumDelta
19-05-04, 19:02
If that PSP shot is real, which, I doubt looking from the copy paste lines...

I give sony it's due.

However, even then, graphics don't make games, and sony doesn't know how to make good games.
DVDDiscs like those in the NGC are still not good portable media they are NOT what I would call versitile.

What's the point in having a portable console if the media isn't rough and tumble ready?
What's the point in having portable media that makes you uncomfortable sitting down with it in your trouser pocket?

Anyway, again;
Graphics don't make games, look at farcry, pretty game but apart from it's graphics one of the worst that's come out this decade.

btw I think Bristol's pretty neocron player populated or at least was o.O

Celt
19-05-04, 19:41
If that PSP shot is real, which, I doubt looking from the copy paste lines...I've been looking at it with 16x zoom, no obvious copy/paste lines.

DVDDiscs like those in the NGC are still not good portable media they are NOT what I would call versitile.It is portable, as for versatility, wtf else do you want a game disc to do?
http://www.ferrago.com/image/3562/5

What's the point in having a portable console if the media isn't rough and tumble ready?Remember Siemens "rough and ready" phone that bombed?
Portable doesnt mean you can drop it on the floor, abuse it, bang it around.

What's the point in having portable media that makes you uncomfortable sitting down with it in your trouser pocket?It's like a minidisc, not uncomfortable.

Anyway, again;
Graphics don't make games, look at farcry, pretty game but apart from it's graphics one of the worst that's come out this decade.
Pity about every review out there says even without the graphics far cry is a still a good fps(even if it isnt legendary)

Kasumi
19-05-04, 19:59
you obviously dont know 'people'

really? cause i'll be darned if i can see 1 analog stick, nevermind 2
Games that are outdated graphics may interest a small amount of people but *people* do like nice graphics.. Having them in a handheld is alot more easier than carrying around a big PS2.. Also the PSP does look the well in games wether you want to believe it or not.. Having games like Final Fantasy X as a portable game taking it ona flight is better than having and outdated game like Mario 64 on the Nintendo DS.. ^^

Lethys
19-05-04, 20:06
Maybe I'm a minority, but good graphics aren't going to make me want to buy a game more.

Given the choice between a port of Mario 64 and a port of Gran Turismo, I would choose mario any day, and I would hope most of you agree.

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:08
Maybe I'm a minority, but good graphics aren't going to make me want to buy a game more.

Given the choice between a port of Mario 64 and a port of Gran Turismo, I would choose mario any day, and I would hope most of you agree.
Edit: Nevermind its an opinion I guess.. I would say though graphics are more important to people than they *think*

QuantumDelta
19-05-04, 20:13
If the discs are in those containers it ain't so bad.

rough and tumble ready;
Yea, Gameboy carts CAN be dropped and ARE fine when dropped, not likely to get damaged.
The GBASP itself is very sturdy and hard to damage.
I would be concerned about that screen (regardless of the GBP/etcs) simply because of it's size and the fact that it doesn't look the slightest bit set "inside" the plastic frame of the PSP.

There's a reason I went for MP3 Player over Minidisc player.
I find minidisc/CD/Tape portable things to be annoyingly big and not very practical for my life style (as I think Jernau? mentioned earlier?), GBASP is about as big as I'll go, and that's the smallest of minidisc players right there.

Prodigious
19-05-04, 20:14

Keyboard
Mouse

Lethys
19-05-04, 20:14
Well I personally get no enjoyment out of the Gran Turismo games. I find them dull, bland, repetitive, boring and generally too much hard work to play, and the same could be said of any serious racing sim.

Also, I find it strange that of the 4 PSP games Sony has shown, 3 of them are racing games. So much for variation.

Kal
19-05-04, 20:15
between a choice of any mario game and gran turismo i would choose mario
between a choice of sonic 1/2/3/S&K/3d/cd and gran turismo i would choose sonic
between a choice of metroid 1/2/fusion and gran turismo i would choose metroid

these games, while being older and poorer graphics are just so much more fun for me

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:18
between a choice of any mario game and gran turismo i would choose mario
between a choice of sonic 1/2/3/S&K/3d/cd and gran turismo i would choose sonic
between a choice of metroid 1/2/fusion and gran turismo i would choose metroid

these games, while being older and poorer graphics are just so much more fun for me
This why I said it was an opinion.. But wether anyones opinion on games the PSP is better in specifications than the DS is by lots.. It can do more than teh DS also.. So it IS better.. The games though are an opinion..

Kal
19-05-04, 20:30
it IS better

no its not, its big, the screen will scratch horrendously, the games it plays will be no fun because of the poor controls, its basically a game boy advance, but 3x the size and a bit better graphics, but it doesnt matter, cause GBA has more fun games

jernau
19-05-04, 20:32

Given the choice between a port of Mario 64 and a port of Gran Turismo, I would choose mario any day, and I would hope most of you agree.I don't. I never liked any Mario game. Just my opinion though.

no its not, its big, the screen will scratch horrendously, the games it plays will be no fun because of the poor controls
Those are just biased opinions of no worth. Scratchproof screens are not that hard a problem these days. I seriously doubt all the games will be "no fun", that's just nonsense. The controls look fine to me. Analogue sticks are a problem on a portable as they stick out and would break and there's not a lot else it's missing.

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:32
no its not, its big, the screen will scratch horrendously, the games it plays will be no fun because of the poor controls, its basically a game boy advance, but 3x the size and a bit better graphics, but it doesnt matter, cause GBA has more fun games
You are TALKING about cosmetic things.. THEY can be changed and its NOT that big and the controls are very comfortable.. The compabilities of the PSP are 5 or 6 times that of the DS.. ^^

Kal
19-05-04, 20:35
You are TALKING about cosmetic things.. THEY can be changed and its NOT that big and the controls are very comfortable.. The compabilities of the PSP are 5 or 6 times that of the DS.. ^^

compabilities?

PSP - only PSP games

NDS - game boy classic, colour, advance and new DS games

DS wins?
oh yes :cool:

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:37
compabilities?

PSP - only PSP games

NDS - game boy classic, colour, advance and new DS games

DS wins?
oh yes :cool:
Gameboy Classic games are old, colour games are gameboy classic games, GBA games are Gameboy Class, Colour, and SNES games.. DS is Nintendo 64 games..

PSP has all Playstation 1 games and Playstation 2 games.. Which is more than most other console games together..

Kal
19-05-04, 20:42
PSP has all Playstation 1 games and Playstation 2 games.. Which is more than most other console games together..

it doesnt, it only has the games specially made for it, and 90% of ps1 and 2 games are crap anyway

and it doesnt matter how old a game is, it will still play it and they will still be fun

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:43
it doesnt, it only has the games specially made for it, and 90% of ps1 and 2 games are crap anyway
It is remake of games.. Which is what will happen with most games for DS..

Kal
19-05-04, 20:47
not really, there will be remakes of games yes but there will be many many more great original games for DS than PSP.

i bet the nintendo bosses laughed their asses off when they saw the PSP

Lethys
19-05-04, 20:50
not really, there will be remakes of games yes but there will be many many more great original games for DS than PSP.

Yep, I was expecting the PSP to be something special, instead it just looks like it's going to be the Game Gear all over again.

And that wasn't the only big Sony-related disappointment.........Killzone.........just.............gahahahahahah :lol:

Kasumi
19-05-04, 20:53

No nintendo *could* loose alot more money from the PSP than it did with PS2 sales.. You sound silly saying that. ^_^

jernau
19-05-04, 20:56
not really, there will be remakes of games yes but there will be many many more great original games for DS than PSP.More pointless opinions. Sony have proven themselves capable of matching or beating anyone when it comes to making successful games.

You really need some actual facts here for anyone to take you seriously.

Also : "90% of ps1 and 2 games are crap anyway" - At least 90% of games for ANY plaftform are crap.

Ormy
19-05-04, 21:12
That track isnt in GT3, and that castrol supra is different from the GT3 one.

Ok, I'll agree on one point, I don't think that's on of the GT3 tracks, (could be monaco?), but the supra is IDENTICAL, as are all the graphics, the reflection effects, etc.

Even if it's not an original GT3 pic, it sure as hell isn't a screenshot from the PSP, if you can't see that's photoshopped i suggest an eye test.

EDIT: And that woman (at least i hope no man has hands like that) has HUGE hands.

Benjie
19-05-04, 21:22
The PSP is too big for a handheld. If you tried to take it on the bus, the ticketmaster would charge an extra ticket for it!!!!1111one

Seriously though, the PSP has one of the worst designs possible for a handheld. Damagable, bulky & awkward, big!

Kasumi
19-05-04, 21:31
The PSP is too big for a handheld. If you tried to take it on the bus, the ticketmaster would charge an extra ticket for it!!!!1111one

Seriously though, the PSP has one of the worst designs possible for a handheld. Damagable, bulky & awkward, big!
How is it damagable? It has a cover so screen wont get scracthced.. It has a comfortable feel in your hands.. ITS NOT THAT BIG!

Dru Blood
19-05-04, 21:37
looks very cool id like one of those

Rai Wong
19-05-04, 21:47
Deleted

Rai Wong
19-05-04, 21:49
kasumi and you wonder why no one here cares about sound or graphics *looks at neocron* *laughs*

I tend to value graphics and nice touchs instead of practicality, for western people it works and it works duh~ who cares if it looks ugly.

but forgod sakes stop saying the PSP has a scratchable screen, how hard is it to have a cover or protective case? so you mean all the PDAs in the world are prone to breaking? All the GBAs? all the candy bar style mobile phones...god

and kal plz don't be so biased we know you like mario, and pokemon, but everyone has their own taste. I prefer darker games while other prefer brighter games,

Arguably the "best" games to be portable are simple and more innovative and simple games and I think thats nitendo's edge, but we don't know the demand for portability of serious games

Hopefully people will agree that the dual screen and touchscreen seems more a fancy thing then a useful thing, while the design is innovative only time will tell if good games could use it effectively. It doesn't seem very practical to me, it looks nice...but....yeah. I can see the touchscreen being useful for chat and all, the Nitendo DS sounds like a more casual and fun machine, while the PSP is more sexy and for serious gamers.

Possessed
19-05-04, 21:59
I won't buy the PSP for one main reason (though I hate a lot about it); the battery life. From what I've read it will have a bettery life of about 8 hours playing games and 2.5 hours when watching movies... which is fuck all. I use my portable consoles when I go on long car trips, long flights, when I'm travelling and I don't know when I'll next be near a socket. The fact that the battery life is vitrually non-existent in real world terms is a major down points. That and the size, I want to be able to be able to fit it into a pocket and not need a fucking bag to lug it around everywhere.

ButPA summed it up pretty well http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-05-17&res=l

Celt
19-05-04, 22:58
Ok, I'll agree on one point, I don't think that's on of the GT3 tracks, (could be monaco?), but the supra is IDENTICAL, as are all the graphics, the reflection effects, etc.

Even if it's not an original GT3 pic, it sure as hell isn't a screenshot from the PSP, if you can't see that's photoshopped i suggest an eye test.

EDIT: And that woman (at least i hope no man has hands like that) has HUGE hands.It isnt monaco(doing the 78 lap endurance race atm).

Do you actually know how to find out if an image has been edited?
It involves zooming in until you can see every pixel and examining their uniformity.

Btw, I'll post the exact differences between the supra's as soon as I finish this race.

Benjie
19-05-04, 23:00
lol.

*imagines trying to fit a PSP in his pocket with a (much needed) protective case wrapped around it..*

Celt
19-05-04, 23:03
lol.

*imagines trying to fit a PSP in his pocket with a (much needed) protective case wrapped around it..*You know it's barely bigger then a GBA, and it's slimmer and sleeker?

Ormy
19-05-04, 23:17
It isnt monaco(doing the 78 lap endurance race atm).

Do you actually know how to find out if an image has been edited?
It involves zooming in until you can see every pixel and examining their uniformity.

Btw, I'll post the exact differences between the supra's as soon as I finish this race.

I don't have to check each pixel, the pic is obviously photoshopped because:

A: Taking photos of any screen never shows that clearly what's on the screen, whenever you see a picuture of a screen (on a handheld, a phone or whatever), the screen's image is usually added later.

B: All screens, CRT or LCD have a thin black line between the edge of the picture and the casing (check your PC monitor, your mobile phone, whatever), you see any little black gap in that pic?

C: Just look at the image, no way in hell does the PSP have that kind of resolution. If the screen's what? 5in by 3in? The 3in by 3in screen on the DS is pushing to get 640x480, and the image on that screen is definatley more than that.

D: It just looks too clean, to clear. You only get an image that vivid if its a direct screenshot, therefore cannot be a game on the PSP.

Kal
19-05-04, 23:19
pokemon was great when it was released, cause 3 years ago i was just about old enough to enjoy it.

and the screen will get nicks and scratches, i've taken great care of my GBA and it still has a few annoying imperfections, its inevitable on any non clamshell screen.

Benjie
19-05-04, 23:37
http://gallery.cybertarp.com/albums/userpics/16028/psp.jpg
(hit refresh if red cross)

Mumblyfish
19-05-04, 23:38
That is fried gold!

Ormy
19-05-04, 23:41
LMFAO Benjie, nice one.

jernau
19-05-04, 23:42
and the screen will get nicks and scratches, i've taken great care of my GBA and it still has a few annoying imperfections, its inevitable on any non clamshell screen.
And clamshells always end up with bad or loose connections. You can't really win this one either way as they both have their pros and cons.

Benjie
19-05-04, 23:44
Yeah well the Game Gear and Atari Lynx both had better graphics than the Gameboy.

OMG I WANT TEH ATARI LYNX C0Z IT IS TEH BETTER GRAPHICS!!111one

Kal
19-05-04, 23:48
thats fuckin' genious

Kal
19-05-04, 23:48
Yeah well the Game Gear and Atari Lynx both had better graphics than the Gameboy.

pwns you all again

anyone remember the neo geo pocket?

Omnituens
19-05-04, 23:54

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel_rogers1/forum/cc.jpg

Chips Challenge is teh win.

jernau
19-05-04, 23:57

I'd rather have a Game Gear than a Gameboy. It actually had games I wanted to play on it.

amfest
20-05-04, 02:37
Yea i played my gamegear way more than my gameboy. I'd play my gameboy and my eyes would hurt . . . and I got bored easy on alot of games I had. I'd play my gamegear and it was rawr at the time. Not to say I didn't enjoy games on the gameboy . . . but my eyes would thank me when I played my gamegear :p . Not only that but i could actually see the screen. oooo my poor game gear where are you :(

I'd like to play serious games also on a portable. I"d rather play games where it has an involving story all the way through than some stupid simple game like tetris that you just do the same thing over and over and over again. *hits themselves on the head . .ow . .. hits themselves on the head .. ow .. hits themselves on the head . ..ow." So maybe I can play resident evil or something on a portable and the time just flies by. As for the 8 hour battery life .. umm if you have to keep yourself occupied with playing 8 hours on a trip .. umm .. lol.

In the end It's all about preference. I wont' make fun of either cause they are cleary for different types of customers. Just pick the one that works for you. Talking about games that aren't even here yet and speculating and bashing on just that is total lame.

I'd like to hire benjie as a children's book artist though ;)

Mr_Snow
12-08-04, 17:10
http://www.gibnet.gi/~aldirect/0805digital.wmv

look at it and weep

Opar
12-08-04, 17:12
http://www.gibnet.gi/~aldirect/0805digital.wmv

look at it and weep

Oh dear, prepare to be spanked by the Nidmeister.

Vithar
12-08-04, 17:19
Holy bumpage, Nidhogg!!! 8|

Please do not bump old threads!

Thread closed.

V