PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Trade channel flood protection/control

phunqe
17-05-04, 08:48
Greetings,

first of all, I play on pluto only so I am not aware of the situation on other servers. However I feel that it is generally a good policy.

On pluto, the TRADE-NC channel is more or less used as the OOC channel. If you are a serious tradeskiller, advertising your services and/or merchandise can be a problem. Often you see a tradeskiller advertising, then a number of OOC lines. This in turns leads to the tradeskiller advertising again, since the channel scrolls too fast and is cluttered with trade unrelated information.

Also, if I'm playing alone, or there is only a few in clan on I like to have OOC turned on for some background chatter. Currently this isn't possible, since I would then have to have TRADE-NC on. I don't, since I am not interested in trades when hunting.

My proposal would be to introduce a send to channel flood control. What this would mean is that you would only be allowed to send for example 2 messages a minute to the TRADE channels.

Now, as a part time tradeskiller I don't see a problem with this, since 2 messages a minute seems fairly enough to advertise your skills and/or trading stuff.

What do you pure tradeskilles think about this?
I would very much like to have the pure trade channels back to their intended purpose :)

Of course, the time limit etc would be subject to tweakage.

amfest
17-05-04, 08:57
I agree totally. I try and stick to OOC but there are times where I can't cause people refuse to go to OOC and only chat on trade-nc. :rolleyes: In fact not just trade-nc all channels but OOC, Zone, Help (hmm think that's all) should have that sorta timer on it.

it is sorta sad that we can only use trade-nc as an example due to the fact that hardly anyone uses the other channels :\

Crest
17-05-04, 09:10
Me thought Trade was a all in one channel. Hey I go to help channel and say ... whats the Req's for XYZ .... and wait, sometimes get a response, sometimes not.... Then I try again, and still no repsonse , I then hit trade and I get a response ....

I C someone saying ... Need a TT Clan, Rank XYZ ..... And no response .... eventually i see the same on trade and he gets a response.

None the less use the correct channel for its use.

Amazing how all trades must happen in NC as its the only trade channel used

Agent L
17-05-04, 09:12
Yeah. Although I spam TRADE-NC with both my adverts and chat :P
BTW, TRADE is no place for tradeskillers anyway, SKILL is one.
But more f**ck up thing is possibility to speak on channel that you have muted. Nothing more pissing me up than:

TRADE - NC> uberprick: looking for resser DM me trade muted

Deafs should not speak.

amfest
17-05-04, 09:18
But more f**ck up thing is possibility to speak on channel that you have muted. Nothing more pissing me up than:

Deafs should not speak.
I agree . . if you have a channel muted a message should appear saying you have channel muted plz unmute to speak on channel.

Would help with new people who speak on these channels for help but didn't realize you had to mark them with Xs <-- (I think that's totally misleading) in order to hear them.

Shadow Dancer
17-05-04, 09:18
lmao Agent, what's wrong with that?

Rade
17-05-04, 10:53

Deafs should not speak.

Agree completely, thats retarded to a level of somewhere between rainman
and Adam Sandler. "Im too lazy to look through the chat and find someone
that can help me what I want, everyone should serve ME. ME ME ME ME".

SorkZmok
17-05-04, 11:36
Maybe increase that chat time to a minute. That makes normal chat pretty much impossible and forces all the idiots chatting over trade and shit to use another channel. And we would finally have a pure trade channel.

I also agree you shouldnt be allowed to talk in a channel that you have muted. Ive also seen several noobs spamming help cause they had it turned off, so a message "Turn the channel on to talk in it" would definately help.

Heavyporker
17-05-04, 11:40
I agree.... make it one message per minute for the trade/skill channels and the help/clan recuit channels...

there's gonna be something for the more or less pure RPers since the OOC channel is NOT amenable for these people... have you heard the sheer swill that sloshes around in OOC? Maybe make a new custom channel called "Banter" that'd be for the in-character chats.

Agent L
17-05-04, 19:46
Yes, we use TRADE coz there is no general-purpose IC chat

Nuski
17-05-04, 20:16
Completely 150% agree because at the moment there is not a TRADE channel on any server ive been to its usually a constant spam of the hilarious "Sex" :wtf: or "you killed me im gonna _______" << please insert insult.
Or if your really lucky somebody starts talking about the muppets or by far the most amazing is "im gonna sing you all a song" and then watch as an entire song is typed out in front of you! :rolleyes:

Nuski

Maarten
17-06-04, 23:43
Do it. People should use the correct channels...