PDA

View Full Version : Examine/Critique this PC I built

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 08:34
I built this from www.ibuypower.com

It's the Gamer's Supreme Case:

Raidmax A8 Aluminum 8-Bays Super Light Weight Case w/420W Power Supply in Black
Enermax EG651P-VE 550 Watt Power Supply
IntelŪ Pentium-4 Processor 3.4 Ghz CPU [512K Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready]
Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra 3-Color LED Light Case Fans
Abit IC7-MAX3 i875 Chip 800FSB w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard
1024 MB Dual Channel [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair XMS PRO w/ LED Lights
nVidia GeForceFX 5600XT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out 8x AGP (For the video card, I picked the one with the least amount of money because I am going to upgrade to an ATi X800XT when it becomes available.
250 GBHARD DRIVE Maxtor 250 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-133 8MB Cache Hard Drive (I'm only going to have one HD, 250GB to me is more then enough)
16x DVD-ROM Drive See-through w/LED Light
Pioneer DVR-A07 Dual Format 8X DVDąR/ąRW + CD-R/RW Drive Silver
[External] Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy-2 ZS PlatinumPro 7.1
Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card
ViewSonic 21" G220FB Perfect Flat .21H DPI Color Monitor
CoolerMaster Musketeer System Dynamics Detector Silver
MS Works Suite 2004 [Word, Works, Money, Encarta, Photo, Streets & Trips] [b](For schoolwork)
Sound Actived Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue
MS Windows XP Home Edition
Warranty Service Standard Warranty + 1-Year i-Care Deluxe On-site Service + 24/7 Phone Support
Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) [RUSH !!!], Ship Out in Next Business Day (I'm a freak, I need it ASAP.. lol)

- I have no Raid Controller or config because it says you need two HD's that are the same size, so I don't need that.
- I have no sound system because I got a really nice 5.1 surround sound w/ subwoofer for Christmas.
- No modem since I don't use dial-up.
- No Floopy/Zip drives.
- No keyboard and mouse because I have the really good Logitech keyboard and the Logitech Cordless MX700 Optical mouse already.

TOTAL IS $2,940 EXCLUDING SHIPPING

Pretty good, IMO. I probably could always overclock and get it above 3.4 GHz, too. Also, I was wondering if the color scheme would look good? I have the case black, all the trays and stuff in the front silver, and the lighting itself is blue. The black/silver would match my Logitech Keyboard/Mouse and even the speakers to my sound system are black/silver, so I think it would be perfect.

The only thing I would change is the video card, but like I said I would be swapping out that nVidia and putting in a ATi X800XT when it comes out. :D

Suggestions, comments?

DonnyJepp
15-05-04, 08:51
Check out a viewsonic P225f, it's dope :)

If they cut you a great deal on the Works suite I guess it's ok, there are free or close alternatives.

Why buy a lan card when the motherboard has one onboard?

I bet you could "get by" with a 180gig drive and save some $$ :p

Otherwise that's pretty loaded, are you set on an Intel CPU?

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 09:04
Check out a viewsonic P225f, it's dope :)

Meh, 1 inch difference and it's a great upgrade from my 15" LCD anyway. The PSS5f is expensive as hell, too.

If they cut you a great deal on the Works suite I guess it's ok, there are free or close alternatives.

True, but I don't mind spending the little extra dough for these utilities.

Why buy a lan card when the motherboard has one onboard?

Okay, so I can take out the Network Card then? So I can totally take out any Network Cards cuz I just need the one in the mobo? If so, I can save like $50.

I bet you could "get by" with a 180gig drive and save some $$ :p

Probably, I'll cut it down most likely and see how much money I save.

Otherwise that's pretty loaded, are you set on an Intel CPU?

I prefer Intel, but what's the best AMD out right now?

Mighty Max
15-05-04, 09:15
If you are used to Intels HT, switching back is a pain.

The HT isn't faster, but it gets me *erg* when it goes up to 100% usage and you need to switch task.

You can take the NetCard out. Unless you need GigaBit, but then again get this motherboard supported. As PCI card you wont get anywhere near its possibilities due to the slowness of PCI. (trashed money)

Ransom
15-05-04, 09:17
Yes lose the LAN the A-bit IC7 MAX3 has the best onboard LAN you could buy when the board was released. Another point though- Are you building yourself? If so be carefull with the corsair RAM as you cannot use the manufacturer's settings. You will find details on how to manually set up on the Corsair website. www.corsairmicro.com I think. Also perhaps you could do with shopping around. I have a similar system which I valued for insurance and it came to Ģ1500 so they may be charging over the top. Check out www.aria.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk for some better prices on components. Can't check those urls as I have to be at work.

Ransom

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 09:20
So basically take out any network cards (I use Cable modem, btw) and it's pretty solid?

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 09:22
Another point though- Are you building yourself? If so be carefull with the corsair RAM as you cannot use the manufacturer's settings. You will find details on how to manually set up on the Corsair website. www.corsairmicro.com I think.

Not me, but just ordering from the website.

I'm not too sure what you mean about the RAM. :confused:

MjukisDjur
15-05-04, 11:33
sounds expensive to me...?

P4mp3rk3
15-05-04, 13:38
sounds expensive to me...?

exactly my thoughts :lol:

naimex
15-05-04, 14:25
It's the Gamer's Supreme Case:

Raidmax A8 Aluminum 8-Bays Super Light Weight Case w/420W Power Supply in Black

Nice power supply

Enermax EG651P-VE 550 Watt Power Supply

More powerfull Power Supply.. but whatīs the point in having 2.... Y splitters are your friend.

IntelŪ Pentium-4 Processor 3.4 Ghz CPU [512K Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready]

Nice, very nice

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra 3-Color LED Light Case Fansī

....doesnt really tell much...

Abit IC7-MAX3 i875 Chip 800FSB w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard

I canīt advise to use onboard LAN-Card, has a tendency of :

Stealing Bandwidth
Keeping connection at all times
De-Stabilizing switches (often making everyone lose connection to internet)

1024 MB Dual Channel [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair XMS PRO w/ LED Lights

Not bad choice, not bad at all

nVidia GeForceFX 5600XT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out 8x AGP (For the video card, I picked the one with the least amount of money because I am going to upgrade to an ATi X800XT when it becomes available.

fair enough.. just DONT BUY DISCOUNT when it comes to GFX Cards.. the chipsets DO make a difference

250 GBHARD DRIVE Maxtor 250 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-133 8MB Cache Hard Drive (I'm only going to have one HD, 250GB to me is more then enough)

Well guess itīs alright if you donīt need more.. personally I would die if I had less than 500...

16x DVD-ROM Drive See-through w/LED Light

I had a DVD-Drive once.. sold it a week later... it wasnīt code-free.. meaning I could max change localization code 5 times, then it would be useless to other than the last changed code..

So be mindfull what you do, unless you know itīs code-free

Pioneer DVR-A07 Dual Format 8X DVDąR/ąRW + CD-R/RW Drive Silver

When youīre buying that too, I suspect the other DVD drive is purely for cd/dvd-cloning purposes...

Otherwise there is no point in doing at all

[External] Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy-2 ZS PlatinumPro 7.1

The Audigy series are good, know a few friends with "amateur bands" who use it.. sweet as sex

Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

You thought about the LAN-Card :) good boy

ViewSonic 21" G220FB Perfect Flat .21H DPI Color Monitor

I think I got the 19" crt version of that one..

Canīt complain about it..
(Gaming Monitor)

CoolerMaster Musketeer System Dynamics Detector Silver

A what ??

MS Works Suite 2004 [Word, Works, Money, Encarta, Photo, Streets & Trips] [b](For schoolwork)

^^Something they threw in for free I would reckon..

Sound Actived Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue

I got it in blue, just not sound activated... (wouldnīt be of any use, since I only play music 1 way.... loud.... so it would be lighting all the time :p anyways :p )

MS Windows XP Home Edition

Home Smells, use PRO

TOTAL IS $2,940 EXCLUDING SHIPPING

20000 -> 21000 + Shipping.. itīs kind of pricy tho ^^

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 19:22
So I don't need the 550 watt power supply and I just need the power supply that comes with the case then?

naimex
15-05-04, 19:25
lemme put it this way..

I had a 300 w power supply before..

I had :

7 harddrives connected
1 cd-burner
13 fans

and it had more than enough power

now i have a 350 w, (casemod)

you donīt need that much.

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 19:30
Okay, I'll just go with the 420 the case has and ditch the 550 and save some cash. :)

Also, I heard instead of getting one big HD, get two smaller ones that equal the same amount when combined and use a raid controller for better performance?

t0tt3
15-05-04, 19:37
Could be good with 2 LAN card to if you wanna do some home lan with buddies and make your own computer to a semi server just plug in plug out and its done... love XP sometimes so noob friendly :)

But Intel 3.4 ghz needs a faster fan = more noise or more expensive fan to it.
The amd64 aint bad but atm nothing is good for it win xp 64 beta only = crashalot even worse then retail :p

But Intel has allways been nice and be more safe running then AMD from my point of view.

naimex
15-05-04, 19:41
Okay, I'll just go with the 420 the case has and ditch the 550 and save some cash. :)

Also, I heard instead of getting one big HD, get two smaller ones that equal the same amount when combined and use a raid controller for better performance?

if you gonna raid anything :

make sure of these things :

-Same manufacturer
-Same type
-Same capacity
-Made same year

Actually, make sure they are 100 % identically, otherwise it wonīt work properly..

if you get them 100 % ident. then you can boost performance 100 - 200 %

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 19:50
But Intel 3.4 ghz needs a faster fan = more noise or more expensive fan to it.
The amd64 aint bad but atm nothing is good for it win xp 64 beta only = crashalot even worse then retail :p

I picked the most expensive cooling unit they had. =/

Vid Gamer
15-05-04, 19:53
if you gonna raid anything :

make sure of these things :

-Same manufacturer
-Same type
-Same capacity
-Made same year

Actually, make sure they are 100 % identically, otherwise it wonīt work properly..

Here's the two I'm getting:

120 GB HARD DRIVES: [Serial-ATA] Seagate 120 GB 7200 RPM SATA-150 8MB Cache Hard Drive

So 240, which again is enough for me because I have a 40GB (!) HD right now and I never really had trouble with space, but then again if I get a good PC like this I would install so many games I need the space now. :)

Also, with the Raid Controller: Highpoint Rocket Raid Controller PCI Card

Raid Config:
Raid-1 [Data Mirroring] With 2X Hard Drives
Raid-0 [Data Striping] With 2X Hard Drives

What's the difference?

naimex
15-05-04, 20:25
dont know the difference in those 2 to be honest.

Ransom
15-05-04, 20:28
Not me, but just ordering from the website.

I'm not too sure what you mean about the RAM. :confused:

Try and do a brief DDR tutorial- thought about it and it would be quite difficult to go into without going into boring details. Basicly DDR ram has very delicate timings so that it works correctly, now in an ideal world you should not need to worry about this at all as each memory module comes with a small chip called an SPD or Serial Presence Detect. The job of this chip is to tell your motherboard what speed your memory modules read and write data. As it is impossible to test something out on every piece of hardware, current or available in the future, the speeds given may cause instability with some hardware, so you may have to configure manually. As you are buying ready built you shouldn't have a problem with this, however it may be an idea to check the settings in your bios to see if they are manual or default. CAS settings (the timings) are a big factor in causing the blue screen of death when installing things like Windows XP. Another bit of information is the Corsair state that ABIT's IC7 chipset does not support registered memory- but that's not important right now.

For a flash tutorial on memory basics, if you have some time on your hands, is at http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html I don't think that there is too much advertising apart from the last chapter.

Ransom

Lagos
15-05-04, 22:39
I built this from www.ibuypower.com

Suggestions, comments?

I would get a 3.2 Ghz cpu because the 3.4 is about 30-40 % more expensive. check out some benchmarks and see if 0.2 Ghz more is worth it.

if money doesnt matter go with the 3.4 Ghz cpu of course.

greets, Lagos.

Vid Gamer
16-05-04, 00:56
The system will still be expensive regardless, so might as well just go all out. lol

Spoon
16-05-04, 01:17

About the power supply, you may want to get a really good one, like an Antec...
The one that comes with the case is probably a generic one, and I'm not familier with the Enermax brand, more wattage isn't always better, but stability and quality is...

@those who are wondering why Vid Gamers system seems expensive:
I think it's because the 3.4 P4 cpu is the EE(Extreme) version which adds around $500 to the price...

Lagos
16-05-04, 02:17
About the power supply, you may want to get a really good one, like an Antec...
The one that comes with the case is probably a generic one, and I'm not familier with the Enermax brand, more wattage isn't always better, but stability and quality is...

Enermax are told to be high quality power supplies, its a major german company I think.

edit: but 550 W is alot. even nvidia will (or already have) change the spec for the new geforce to 350W (was 400+W before, not sure), so 550W would be overkill if you dont plan to run a fileserver or something

greets, Lagos.

G.0.D.
16-05-04, 03:28

Bzzzz Wrong - You will only see a 20% speed increase at tops... in theory you would see a 100% speed increase from a speed raid set up, but in real life it dosnt work like that.

Raid Config:
Raid-1 [Data Mirroring] With 2X Hard Drives
Raid-0 [Data Striping] With 2X Hard Drives

Raid 1 - If one hard drive fails it dosnt matter because the data is mirroed on the other hard drive.
Raid 0 - Makes 2+ hard drives act as one. Some speed increase but if one hard drive fails data on both is lost.

EDIT: @ 3.4 ghz, I would probably recomend the 3.2 to save money. I recently purchased a 2.8 chip and have it running stable at 3.9! (OverClocked)

Vid Gamer
16-05-04, 05:19
Well, I don't know how to overclock though. =/

G.0.D.
16-05-04, 07:12
then get an asus p4p800 mobo (or what ever the newer version is called)

overclocking a chip on that board is as simple as turning up your speed, It takes all the guess work out of it. Basicly turn it higher and higher in small incriments until your system becomes unstable and or crashes.

If your going to overclock you will need a bigger chip fan then a stock pentium fan.

Vid Gamer
16-05-04, 08:05
These won't keep it cool enough for overclocking:

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra 3-Color LED Light Case Fans

?

G.0.D.
16-05-04, 09:08
the stock fan is the only fan that directly cools the CPU but it is only fast enough to cool the chip at its given clock speed, I would recomend a 3rd party fan or water cooling set up for the chip if you intend to push it very far overclocking wise.

Vid Gamer
16-05-04, 09:15
the stock fan is the only fan that directly cools the CPU but it is only fast enough to cool the chip at its given clock speed, I would recomend a 3rd party fan or water cooling set up for the chip if you intend to push it very far overclocking wise.

Any links to where I can find some good ones that would work with my case?

G.0.D.
16-05-04, 09:18
http://xoxide.com/zacncpuco1.html - that is the fan I am running on my computer atm, bit pricy.

If your not overclocking that fan is whisper quite but it alows you to crank it waaay up for maximum performance. Very versitile, still I hear theres better cheaper fans out there.
(I use this fan in conjunction with 2 120mm side fans, 90mm blow hole fan, a pci blower card and 1 120mm front mounted fan to achieve my stable 3.9 ghz overclock. Probably would have been easier to go with water cooling :/)

Scikar
16-05-04, 21:55
Only 2 case fans might be cutting it a bit short on the cooling, since you're going to combine a P4 and an X800XT in there, unless the case is pretty roomy, even then I'd get a couple more (mine has 7 case fans, though if your case has this many mounts for them make sure they are good fans and you can wire them up in series on the mobo, I haven't bothered yet and the fans aren't too high quality, so it sounds something like a vacuum cleaner. :p).

If you're going for RAID, then follow Spoon's advice and get a high quality, stable PSU. 420W is nice but you don't know about the quality, given that a 9800 series is recommended for use with 300W minimum, the X800XT will likely be a bit higher, and that's coming close to your 420 - plus you've got two drives there.

The reason you'll want a high quality PSU is the way RAID works, since you're looking for a performance increase you're talking about RAID 0. The problem with this is if your PSU blips and one drive spins slower than the other during a write, everything goes tits up. I've never seen examples of it myself, but then everyone I know using RAID has put a decent PSU with it to play it safe. :)

Vid Gamer
17-05-04, 00:20
Yeah, I'm getting the 550 PSU.

I don't think I want that many fans, so maybe installing a water cooler or something hardcore would be better. Are they hard to install if you're a n00b or easy if you read the directions and play around with it?

G.0.D.
17-05-04, 00:42
they should be as simple as putting some tubing together and pooring in a special liquid. mind you the reason I have never gone with water cooling is because I cant fathum putting a bunch of moving liquid next to my high priced electronics.

Vid Gamer
17-05-04, 04:26
I went to www.frozencpu.com and it all looks nice but very confusing and I have no idea what the hell would work/fit with my PC neverminding setting it up. lol

phunqe
17-05-04, 12:44
Vid,

buy Win XP PRO instead.
First of all you get rid of the pesky activation thing, you can change hardware in your computer without hassle etc.
Also, after a while using Win XP HOME you will notice things that are disabled or crippled. Like for example file sharing. Win XP HOME does only simple file sharing (i.e no passwords, security settings etc).

Vid Gamer
17-05-04, 20:57
Vid,

buy Win XP PRO instead.
First of all you get rid of the pesky activation thing, you can change hardware in your computer without hassle etc.
Also, after a while using Win XP HOME you will notice things that are disabled or crippled. Like for example file sharing. Win XP HOME does only simple file sharing (i.e no passwords, security settings etc).

Yeah, I've switched to Pro already. :)

QuantumDelta
17-05-04, 21:18
No one Spotted the choke point on the RAM?

If you're going to, so specifically buy 800FSB Proc/Mobo -- Go the whole whack and buy yourself some of the better RD RAM instead of DDR.

Sure, DDR is cheaper, but it's less than half the hz speed...

Generally speaking I do not mix Radeon's with P4s, but more recently ATI has been better with "outside AMD" systems.

The 3200XP is pretty comparable to the P4 you have, the only difference is the FSB.

Hmm, I'd personally go for the AMD but, if you really want every drop of power out of your system getting the RD RAM/Mobo/Proc you're on is probably the best way to go.

If you're sticking to DDR -- Go AMD.

Vid Gamer
17-05-04, 23:21
Didn't they discontinue RDRAM?

I'll probably stick with what they have, and that's DDR, but I never had a problem with Intel, and never tried AMD, so I don't know what's the best they have and whatnot.

G.0.D.
17-05-04, 23:29
You can always over clock your ddr ram :)

Vid Gamer
17-05-04, 23:40
ROFL

I never even heard of oc'ing RAM.. O_o

EDIT: If I have over 2 gigs of DDR PC3200 RAM I think I should be fine really..

naimex
17-05-04, 23:43
ROFL

I never even heard of oc'ing RAM.. O_o

EDIT: If I have over 2 gigs of DDR PC3200 RAM I think I should be fine really..

you can do it, but they will heat like crazy, you can buy ram coolers for almost no money, they should keep them safe.

but itīs not adviseable to do it.

2 gigs of ram is overkill..

@QD : I donīt think his mobo supports RD-Ram but I might be wrong.

QuantumDelta
17-05-04, 23:57
Haven't checked tbh, but if it's a 800HZ FSB and doesn't support RD RAM it's a waste of a mobo.

---
Doubling the amount of RAM would make up the difference I *think* but that's more expensive than finding RD... -- Yea, RD is rare these days, but still possible to find....

It's just that magic 800hz number I'm looking at.

Like I said though -- I am pretty sure 2GB DDR at 400hz (which the PCI 3200 is isn't it?) is effectively, the same.

naimex
18-05-04, 00:05
Haven't checked tbh, but if it's a 800HZ FSB and doesn't support RD RAM it's a waste of a mobo.

---
Doubling the amount of RAM would make up the difference I *think* but that's more expensive than finding RD... -- Yea, RD is rare these days, but still possible to find....

It's just that magic 800hz number I'm looking at.

Like I said though -- I am pretty sure 2GB DDR at 400hz (which the PCI 3200 is isn't it?) is effectively, the same.

but RD ram at 800 is about 7 times as expensive as a 400 is..

and I donīt think itīs that much difference that you can actually tell the difference.

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 00:07
Depends on if he's building the PC for the next generation games;
If he is -- he'll want the RD if he can get it.
It will be noticable.
Hell, it's even noticable in Command and Conquer Generals.

naimex
18-05-04, 00:09
It will be noticable.
ī
I guess it would be noticeable in next generation games,

but as games are atm, I donīt think so..

I have 2x 512 DDR 3200 (at 400) and I havenīt found a game I couldnīt run fluent yet..

QuantumDelta
18-05-04, 00:34
Try running Command and Conquer Generals on max graphics / High res.
I have a XP 3000, 400 HZ FSB mobo/proc, 1GB PCI 3200 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9600Pro, nice RAID HDD Setup and still.
Laggerifica.

naimex
18-05-04, 00:42
Try running Command and Conquer Generals on max graphics / High res.
I have a XP 3000, 400 HZ FSB mobo/proc, 1GB PCI 3200 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9600Pro, nice RAID HDD Setup and still.
Laggerifica.

I will try once Iīm done fixing the item database

naimex
18-05-04, 00:54
Mouse has a 1 second delay,

game is running fluently

at 1600x1200

Lev
18-05-04, 02:48
It will be noticable.

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard, the speed difference from ram is neglible, i mean think of it this way, you use ram to hold things you are going to be accessing frequently, like level textures etc (in a game) it will take far longer to render these graphics then to pull them from even ddr ram, the idea that RDRAM will make any sort of real world difference is rediculous. Also since hes running two sticks hell be running in double mode, making his effective bus 800 mhz.
--Lev