PDA

View Full Version : ..:: Internet Connection Sharing Problem ::..

enigma_b17
14-05-04, 17:51
ok i have a network, main gateway machine with local ip 192.168.0.1 and each client a variation of it, eg 192.168.0.2, 3, 4 etc. On the gateway machine i can access all websites fine but on the clients it has trouble opening some webpages. It resolves the hostname, but just wont open the darn website. All machines are running Windows XP prof, any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me slowly insane :|

MisterP
14-05-04, 17:59
I've set mine up the same way, but I found that I need to specify a dns server for the other clients to use. My ISP decide to block that old setup I had a while back for some reason O_o

Anyway, search google for "UK DNS servers" u'll get a few results, just try a few until u find an IP that works. change UK to watever country ur in etc etc.

Oh and best to try without a firewall first, then enable one.

enigma_b17
14-05-04, 18:27
i dont think its a dns problem though, i can get the websites fine on my server, its the clients that arent able to open the odd webpage. Ive tried it using the ip of the website aswell, and got the same problem

I've set mine up the same way, but I found that I need to specify a dns server for the other clients to use. My ISP decide to block that old setup I had a while back for some reason O_o

Anyway, search google for "UK DNS servers" u'll get a few results, just try a few until u find an IP that works. change UK to watever country ur in etc etc.

Oh and best to try without a firewall first, then enable one.

I have set the DNS server for the clients to the ip of the server, and also ive tried setting it to the DNS server of my isp, both ways clients can get access to the internet through the gateway, but the same problem on some sites happens.

Scanner Darkly
14-05-04, 18:42
are you using any Firewall software? also have you checked the settings of your server PC? Its usually a lot less hastle to use an actual router....

wish i had a clue what the actual prob was tho :(

good luck

scan

enigma_b17
14-05-04, 19:01
im using a firewall yes but its nothing to do with that as the problem occurs whether my fw is running or not

Glok
14-05-04, 21:19
You set the server subnet mask (connected to the clients) to 255.255.255.0 right? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm running the exact same setup and have zero problems of the type you describe.

enigma_b17
14-05-04, 21:47
yes the subnet mask is set to that lol

Richard Blade
14-05-04, 22:20
I get that problem once in a while on my client machines.
It may or not be related, but what I do is type: /set reset_position 1

:D

Actually: ipconfig /flushdns

That usually resolves my problems for a while.

Vryce
14-05-04, 22:50
I get that problem once in a while on my client machines.
It may or not be related, but what I do is type: /set reset_position 1

:D

Yeah, that one always works for me. :p

Are all the comp's set to the same "workgroup"? I have to reset that from time to time with my XP boxes, both at work and at home.
(For some reason, XP likes to change things when you're not looking. :wtf: )

enigma_b17
15-05-04, 00:41
all of the comps are set to the same workgroup, but i cant c how that would prevent the clients from accessing certain sites.

t-bird
15-05-04, 00:46
@thread:
you must change the mtu on each client.

for example you can change this with the program "Dr TCP" ...
run this prg and set the mtu to 1400
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

enigma_b17
15-05-04, 00:47
mtu? plz clarify!!

MisterP
15-05-04, 01:19
No Geez...

On the clients: Enter the gateway of ur PC (ur server one) enter the subnet mask, and enter the gateway again. On the DNS part of the clients, enter the IPs u found on google.

Leave the DNS of the gateway (ur server one) alone :)

enigma_b17
15-05-04, 03:30
@thread:
you must change the mtu on each client.

for example you can change this with the program "Dr TCP" ...
run this prg and set the mtu to 1400
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

o my smegging god that worked
MANY thanks to u mr T-Bird, now all i ave to do is find out what mtu is and what it does :)D

Richard Blade
15-05-04, 04:34
Maximum Transmission Unit

Walk your way through his slide show, very informative. (http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/papers/MTU200302/index.html)