PDA

View Full Version : Think I should get this?

Shujin
14-05-04, 04:09
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51145&item=3478901634&rd=1

Claims alot of great stuff, and offers "*100% money back guaranteed. For whatever reason if youre not completely satisfied with the product simply return the CD within 10 days from the date of receipt and your money will be refunded less shipping & handling cost."

;P
I'm thinking I should get it because it would be quite useful in some bad situations. For example today I was installin xp on a hd today, and well when I tried to boot the hd it didnt work. At first I thought the hd was completely dead because somethin mechanical inside wasnt functioning, but I decided to try somethin, got out a old dos 6.22 disk set to see if i can boot from floppy.

Well it botted from floppy and it actually seen the HD, that suprised me because I thought it was completely dead, so I installed dos 6.22 and tried to reboot and see if it would boot to the hd.

It didnt, it froze every time after the dell logo came up( the computer I was stickin it in was a dell )
So I tried somethin else, I booted from floppy as if I was going to install dos again and then tried to see if I could change from A;/ to C:/ or if it wouldnt work.

It worked and all the Dos 6.22 files there there and it looked in perfectly fine condition. But the only thing was it couldnt boot the HD, so oviously track 0 was fawked.

Anyway your probably tired of reading this so question is: you think maestro would be a good buy? Because it claims to be able to low-level format which would have solved my problem there.

VictorKruger
14-05-04, 04:15
hell it's only $16.00. If it's really cool then...yay, but if it sucks...well then you're only out $16.00...

although it could have some nasty trojan on it...

DonnyJepp
14-05-04, 04:19
what kind of PC and hard drive do you have Shujin?

Theres a lot of free utilities that'll do a low-level format, your HD vendor probably offers one even.

At face value the product looks like a pile of poo. Renders of CDRoms? Scratch resistant CDs :rolleyes:

Don't believe the hype,

/edit: It sounds like your HD needed the ol' "fdisk /mbr" trick to rewrite the master boot record, you do that booted from a dos floppy.

bounty
14-05-04, 04:22
THIS IS THE WORLD FAMOUS
TECHNICIANS EMERGENCY CD
THAT PROFESSIONAL PC EXPERTS
TRIED TO KEEP IT SECRET FOR YEARS

that alone screams out "scam" or "not as cool as it sounds" to me.

Shujin
14-05-04, 04:23
hell it's only $16.00. If it's really cool then...yay, but if it sucks...well then you're only out $16.00...

although it could have some nasty trojan on it...dont think so, if it did i doubt he would such great feedback

THIS IS THE WORLD FAMOUS
TECHNICIANS EMERGENCY CD
THAT PROFESSIONAL PC EXPERTS
TRIED TO KEEP IT SECRET FOR YEARS

that alone screams out "scam" or "not as cool as it sounds" to me.

but its true, alot of pc techs do use boot disk and stuff.
one of my teachers also owns a comp repair shop and i asked him if its worth it and he said that he uses some things like that sometimes and it saves alot of harddrives.

and one of the features maestro claims to have is to have motherboard drivers from 1997+ and he said he has so many people come in that their motherboard drivers.

Shujin
14-05-04, 04:27
/edit: It sounds like your HD needed the ol' "fdisk /mbr" trick to rewrite the master boot record, you do that booted from a dos floppy.
tried that some reason it kept saying invalid command or somethin ( cant quite remember what it said it was quite a while ago today )

i tried that, did chkdsk and bunch of stuff, bth it looked perfectly fine
but it just wouldnt start the start-up processes, like the mbr was like hey im here... but im not feelin like workin atm ;o come back later k?

jernau
14-05-04, 04:52
dont think so, if it did i doubt he would such great feedbackFake feedback is trivially easy to arrange.

one of my teachers also owns a comp repair shop and i asked him if its worth it and he said that he uses some things like that sometimes and it saves alot of harddrives.No software can fix a hardware fault and I seriously doubt that CD contains any apps I'd let near my PC.

and one of the features maestro claims to have is to have motherboard drivers from 1997+ and he said he has so many people come in that their motherboard drivers.Woot!! Random drivers, how handy :rolleyes:

It's up to you mate but I wouldn't ever pay for something like that and if I saw it on my desk it'd go in the bin for suspicion of virii/scum-ware.

Knowing what you are doing >>>>>> Scam CDs.

Shujin
14-05-04, 04:58
Fake feedback is trivially easy to arrange.

No software can fix a hardware fault and I seriously doubt that CD contains any apps I'd let near my PC.

Woot!! Random drivers, how handy :rolleyes:

It's up to you mate but I wouldn't ever pay for something like that and if I saw it on my desk it'd go in the bin for suspicion of virii/scum-ware.

Knowing what you are doing >>>>>> Scam CDs.
stop makin me feel stupid ;O ;P
and yea positive feedback is easy to get but look how much he has O_o

jernau
14-05-04, 05:02
stop makin me feel stupid ;O ;P
Sorry, not my intent.

Aside from any tech issues though I wouldn't buy from any seller that uses that many font options.

If you want to build a decent diagnostics/repair set I can give you some pointers but I'll warn you that a lot of the things you need to do a good job are not free and you will need a lot more than one CD.

Shujin
14-05-04, 05:03
Sorry, not my intent.

was jk ;P

and if u read the feedback, it doesnt look fake at all, because there are plent of people saying "this is great but having some problems" or "GREAT PRODUCT!!! but cant get some things to work" ;P

edit:
"CD IS A SCAM AND SO IS THIS SELLER. ALL CLAIMS R LIES & LIKEWISE WITH THE SELLER

Buyer rymammon( 60)

Feb-20-04 14:53

Reply by invensoft: Insaner! U can't fix WinXP problems cuz u don't hav ur own XP CD! Gave Refund!"
;P see u can get a refund if u dont like it.

jernau
14-05-04, 05:12
Your money but I'll bet it's just a bunch of outdated share-ware at best.

You'd be better off listing all the things you think you need on a piece of paper then reading up/asking around for the best apps for each task. That or slowly develop your own set which tbh is how most people do it.

{MD}GeistDamnit
14-05-04, 05:13
haha you and ebay is a funny mix. I dunno, get it and if it sucks just tell everyone here and we will spread the word. Looks like a scam to me though :/

Q`alooaith
14-05-04, 05:18
Praise of the product could be faked, quite easly too given where it is..

If you've got a working system I'd suggest not getting it, you can easly find what you need if you know what you looking for.

StryfeX
15-05-04, 00:27
dont think so, if it did i doubt he would such great feedback

one of my teachers also owns a comp repair shop and i asked him if its worth it and he said that he uses some things like that sometimes and it saves alot of harddrives.

and one of the features maestro claims to have is to have motherboard drivers from 1997+ and he said he has so many people come in that their motherboard drivers.Real PC techs make their own boot disks. :p I'm with DonnyJepp on this one. It just screams "pile of poo" as he put it.

--Stryfe

Shujin
15-05-04, 04:05
Real PC techs make their own boot disks. :p I'm with DonnyJepp on this one. It just screams "pile of poo" as he put it.

--Stryfei know tbh i really do think it screans scam scamity scam scam, but man i just cant decide.

i want to buy it because its only about 19$ w/ shipping but i need all the money i can get atm because i gotta pay tuition soon and im already short as hell on it so might even have to take out a loan... damn damnity damn damn ;O cant make up my mind.

also i read the feedback and i get excited, look at all the good feedback, theres no possible way for him to get that much by faking, because just look at the way some of the people talk, like i would. "pretty kewl ;D A+++" and stuff ;P

kurai
15-05-04, 04:16
I don't think you should buy it.

You'll only go and manage to cut your lips off with it, or something :D

That aside - I'm with Jernau.

It just looks like a selection of random shareware utilities and drivers thrown onto a disc - most of which will be fuck all use to you unless you know what's wrong and how to fix it in the first place.

Most of the +ve feedback will be from clueless numpties who were astonished to find the CD actually had some data on it.

Shujin
15-05-04, 04:18
>.< bah i wont get it, for now.

but if i get to a point where i got alot of money to spare(pssha... not likely) then i will...

Richard Blade
15-05-04, 05:30
clueless numpties
Is that anything like clueless muppets?

Shujin, are you sure it's track 0 and not the master boot record?

This program is pretty good, not sure how much the latest costs. (http://www.grc.com/srhistory.htm)

Edit: Holy Crap! I just saw how much they want for it. Forget that. If you can find an older version out there somewhere...
Second, they say it doesn't work with NTFS. If you are running XP, you probably have NTFS.

When you boot with floppy, can you see other files on that drive? Or, was it supposed to be blank? I think I missed that if you said.

Shujin
15-05-04, 05:44
When you boot with floppy, can you see other files on that drive? Or, was it supposed to be blank? I think I missed that if you said.
when u boot from floppy, it boots fine, you can see all the files in A:/ and C:/ and all the partitions(the HD was somewhere around 10gb so there were about 4 partitions 2.3gb each)
dos was installed on c:/ and d:/ e:/ and f:/ were just empty like they should be.
C:/ had all the dos files.

jernau
15-05-04, 06:30
Steve Gibson is a FUD-spouting prannock. Don't give him any money, it'll only encourage him.

If all your partitions are empty or only contain DOS why not just use a 2K/XP boot-CD to repartition and re-format the whole thing and be done?

Shujin
15-05-04, 06:36
Steve Gibson is a FUD-spouting prannock. Don't give him any money, it'll only encourage him.

If all your partitions are empty or only contain DOS why not just use a 2K/XP boot-CD to repartition and re-format the whole thing and be done?
O_o thats not the point I was talkin about.

The HD wont boot. It has nothing to do with formatting / reformatting. You would need to Low-level format it. And im pretty sure it has to be Track 0 that is fucked because the MBR was there and working ( i think, i dont know alot about MBR and track 0 stuff o.0 ) and the guy who said try fdisk -mbr or whatever i did chkdsk -mbr or somethin and sys a: bunch of stuff cant remember everything it was a while ago.

im pretty sure it was track 0.

jernau
15-05-04, 06:52
Track Zero is simply the first 64 sectors of the disk. It shouldn't contain anything but the MBR (in sector 0) and possibly a backup the MBR (in sector 63) depending on file-system.

It is replaced/rewritten when you fdisk the drive. The NT/2K/XP disks use an updated version of FDisk with a basic GUI but basically it's the same thing.

"FDisk /mbr" will replace the pre-bootstrap code in the MBR but I wouldn't recommend using it unless you know how to fix it if the MBR is in any way non-standard because it can get very ugly.

I haven't had to use a sector-editor in anger for at least 5 years though so I seriously doubt you'll need to do anything so low-level.

The only real question to ask is whether there is any data on there to save. If not - fdisk, if so - slave the bad drive onto a Win2K box with Restorer 2000 installed on it and use that to move the data off.