PDA

View Full Version : KK could learn from NC Soft

Rude Boi
12-05-04, 23:33
for those of you who have heard of the new MMORPG City of Heroes, and go to there forums, u would of heard that they already have plans, and are well on the way of releasing a addon for the game already, City Of Villians, and was supriises the me the most is that City of Heroes hasnt been out officialy for at least a month :eek:

But where as here, a addon that was supposedly supposed to released last spring time is still not out :/ and now only recently got a confired date for release, which is also the same time as other MMORPGs that people have been waiting a long time for. *cough* MxO *cough*

right now, there is no set release date for CoV (City of Villians), but it is estimated to be on sale soon after BDoY and MxO are released

manderf
12-05-04, 23:38
wow all these people bitching about the bdoy release date need to stop already. KK doesnt make millions of dollars, with 10,000 accounts thats about 100,000 a month. They dont have the biggest buget. Neocron is alot harder to do stuff for because its a pvp game. Whch means alot of testing and balancing. And they did have publisher problems which messed up there plans, GIVE THEM A FUCKING BREAK. If you dislike the game just leave dont get other depressed about it so they quit.

40$Poser
12-05-04, 23:42
wow all these people bitching about the bdoy release date need to stop already. KK doesnt make millions of dollars, with 10,000 accounts thats about 100,000 a month. They dont have the biggest buget. Neocron is alot harder to do stuff for because its a pvp game. Whch means alot of testing and balancing. And they did have publisher problems which messed up there plans, GIVE THEM A FUCKING BREAK. If you dislike the game just leave dont get other depressed about it so they quit.

oh, so CDV screwed KK over even after KK acknowledge CDV = robots with no skill w0rd l33tz0r.

Thus why the test server is public, people go on to test random things... It's not that I don't like the game. Hell, lots of people like the game, just hate being lied to (but we won't go into broken promises, lies, and stories of robot disco hustling contests)

manderf
12-05-04, 23:44
well i mean its not like they can afford the best programmers, or that many.*cough cough male order brides. So it takes a bit to add shit in.

Cubico
12-05-04, 23:49
for those of you who have heard of the new MMORPG City of Heroes, and go to there forums, u would of heard that they already have plans, and are well on the way of releasing a addon for the game already, City Of Villians, and was supriises the me the most is that City of Heroes hasnt been out officialy for at least a month :eek:

Ok, then play this game and come back to this forum when this addon is available.
Then also tell us how long long it took to do it. WILL YOU?! If not I will start a char on this game and you are KOS!!111

John_Ravenhawk
12-05-04, 23:54
COH is a great game by the way.. It is totally mission oriented..

The teaming is great.. If you create a team the server acknowledges you have multiple people with you and adjusts the mission approriately, which in turn makes for mob funnage. It is turn based but it allows for dodging and such.

When COV comes out there will be mass funnage for the pkers.. I think it will
be Duel based but we will see.

Kasumi
13-05-04, 00:01
COH is a great game by the way.. It is totally mission oriented..

The teaming is great.. If you create a team the server acknowledges you have multiple people with you and adjusts the mission approriately, which in turn makes for mob funnage. It is turn based but it allows for dodging and such.

When COV comes out there will be mass funnage for the pkers.. I think it will
be Duel based but we will see.
City of Heroes seems like a childs game.. Something I might let my daugther play but she loves Lineage II.. :)

athon
13-05-04, 00:02
One Question:
How do you know that the same isn't going to happen to CoV that happened to BDoY?

Athon Solo

40$Poser
13-05-04, 00:04
well i mean its not like they can afford the best programmers, or that many.*cough cough male order brides. So it takes a bit to add shit in.

programmers, ah yes, what about them... um yeah?

if I'm not mistaken it's the programmers job to program stuff into the game, he gets paid to do programming, I think anyone is smart enough to say if there's only 1 to 2 programmers it might take a while. Oh wait, you assume everyone here is an idiot because we know robots will talk jive when not oiled.

Kasumi
13-05-04, 00:04
One Question:
How do you know that the same isn't going to happen to CoV that happened to BDoY?

Athon SoloNCsoft is usually fast with what they do and accurate with release dates.. ^^

Edit: Threadstarter.. BDOY though isnt just an expansion.. it is a whole new game *almost*.. If NCsoft had to redo the game completely it would be delayed longer than BDOY probably.. So I dont understand why you make this thread.. :(

Marx
13-05-04, 00:09
Um... 'City Of Villians' was already being made, it's just that it couldn't be tossed in with the initial release. Viola, expansion pack...

Boy, that sounds familiar.

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:12
City of Heroes seems like a childs game.. Something I might let my daugther play but she loves Lineage II.. :)

Aren't all games meant for kids..

I have seen some of the most immature acts take place in this game a
so called "adult game"

Kasumi
13-05-04, 00:14
Aren't all games meant for kids..

I have seen some of the most immature acts take place in this game a
so called "adult game"
Well of course! But I meant Super Heroes and Villains are for children imagination.. ^_^ I dont think I would let my daugther play Neocron atleast in certain spots in the game.. :)

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:19
I want some direction in my games and Neocron has none.

If I were some of the companies in Neocron I would have declared bankruptcy
They have dozens of employees working for them and they never give them
things to do. I work 8 hours for tsunami and never produce anything for them.

This game needs a major overhaul.. They better have something big planned
for DOY or this game will go the way of Anarchy Online..

tomparadox
13-05-04, 00:22
i agree.

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:24
The superheroes in this game consist of the people that actually care
about helping people.. The ones that would actually help you level instead
of sitting there like the punks they are and killing you because they have
nothing better to do. Of course if the game had some missions that kept
you busy then maybe I wouldn't see people crying constantly about not
having anything to do... I just wonder what you do after you cap a character in this game.. The only new creatures I have seen in this game since I have started is the DOY bots.. Everything else is what like 2 years old.

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 00:26
1. im not bitching, i just think they should look at how other companies handle addons and such, and try to keep up like they do and keep promises liek they do

2. CoV has gone to E3 so there must be alot of work on it done alread :P

EDIT:

3. to PvP in CoV, both parties will have to agree, so there wont b no high lvl n00bs ( o_O )PK'ing begginer newbies for no reason at all

Kasumi
13-05-04, 00:28
1. im not bitching, i just think they should look at how other companies handle addons and such, and try to keep up like they do and keep promises liek they do

2. CoV has gone to E3 so there must be alot of work on it done alread :PBDOY isnt an ADDON! Its a game.. Companies dont "make" there customers promises..

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 00:31
i still consider it a addon since its was supposed to come out as a *free* addon... i still cant fully c why, its being released as a *full* game instead of a addon, if it is gona b a full game, then i dont c they r gona tie it in with the nc servers

EDIT: BTW, i played Lineage II beta, and it can be pretty much like pepper park windows, if the camera gets stuck between the character and a hard place :/

Kasumi
13-05-04, 00:32
i still consider it a addon since its was supposed to come out as a *free* addon... i still cant fully c why, its being released as a *full* game instead of a addon, if it is gona b a full game, then i dont c they r gona tie it in with the nc servers
From what I know they arent.. I dont think BDOY is compatable with Neocron.. That why they might set up a "classic" server.. :)

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 00:35
well then, if they set up a classic server, its gona be very quiet..... i supose worse than it is now.... in which case people would b forced to get BDOY or go to another MMORPG all together

(and plz stop posting while i edit my posts ;))

jernau
13-05-04, 00:35
I played the betas of both CoH and L2 and I have to say NCSoft really have got their heads screwed on. As indeed do most of the companies who have recently entered the MMO sector. KK have a really immense challenge on their hands with BDoY.

IMO of the two CoH is a MUCH better game in every way.

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:37
Neocron has always been playing catch up... Honestly when this game
came out the engine was nothing like the 3d in other games.. Quake and Halflife and Unreal looked better.. I am starting to think Neocron was designed to make a quick couple of bucks so they could continue building the real game.. BDOY..

It better be good and it better fix a lot of problems because if it doesn't it will
all be for nothing.. Neocron = Anarchy Online... Bring on the death dealers.

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 00:39
if so, then why was DoY meant to b free, and just as a patch, unless they planned all of what gone on, just to really piss alot of people off

jernau
13-05-04, 00:41
Neocron has always been playing catch up... Honestly when this game
came out the engine was nothing like the 3d in other games.. Quake and Halflife and Unreal looked better.. I am starting to think Neocron was designed to make a quick couple of bucks so they could continue building the real game.. BDOY..

It better be good and it better fix a lot of problems because if it doesn't it will
all be for nothing.. Neocron = Anarchy Online... Bring on the death dealers.
Comparing GFX engines in MMOs and FPSs in nonsensical. No MMO out now looks anything like FarCry for very good reasons.

Neocron was the first MMORPG with an FPS interface and combat and it is still the only one I can think of. I'd hardly call a 2 year monopoly "playing catch up".

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:47
Some of the features of BDOY were intended to be a patch... They just
kept running into too many problems and found out early that they
couldn't accomplish what they needed to do in a patch..

It just seems like they stopped talking about it when they realized what
they wanted to do was impossible.

A perfect example of this is the fact that the servers they will be using will
all be new.. They know that the decisions they made in the beginning were
based on different statistics and now they need to deal with them..

It is a good decision to rebuild from the ground up... When you build on a
foundation of crap eventually it will crack and fall apart.

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 00:49
dont get me wrong, i love this game, i love the idea of the cyberpunk stuff, its just that im disapointted with what has happened over the last year, and yeah cos ive been waiting so long is pissed me off quite a bit :P

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 00:50
Don't give me the FPS argument...

I know this and it is why I still play this game.. but honestly the graphics are
all client side.. that is why COH looks so good.

Everquest looks better than Neocron..

jernau
13-05-04, 01:01
Don't give me the FPS argument...

I know this and it is why I still play this game.. but honestly the graphics are
all client side.. that is why COH looks so good.

Everquest looks better than Neocron..
EQ1 looks much worse than NC.

Compared to the other MMOs released at the time NC was it was at least as good looking as most if not all. Since then things have moved on as they always do. KK now have to make BDoY as pretty as the current MMOs, which is a huge challenge.

manderf
13-05-04, 01:03
well i have played most mmorpgs. ANd even with all of its bugs, nothing compares to how fun op battling and pvp system. Constitution and resists makes everyone unique so theres no two people the same. I am taking a break right now because i havent been into games to much right now. I tried out lineage 2 and fell asleep. Nc does have a somewhat smooth engine comparing its pretty old,and the random crashes and things. In lineage you couldnt walk out of certain buildings without using the arrow keys, and its just a bunch of chinmanbots running around. It takes no skill at all. So Neocron does have alot of things to complain about, but its the best thing out there mmorpg wise.

Omnituens
13-05-04, 01:36
Neocron was the first MMORPG with an FPS interface and combat and it is still the only one I can think of. I'd hardly call a 2 year monopoly "playing catch up".
iirc Endless Ages was the first.

jernau
13-05-04, 02:30
iirc Endless Ages was the first.Yeah, could have been. Even so, second place is still pretty good if you're on your fifth pint before third place even crosses the line.

Marx
13-05-04, 03:07

2. CoV has gone to E3 so there must be alot of work on it done alread :P

EDIT:

3. to PvP in CoV, both parties will have to agree, so there wont b no high lvl n00bs ( o_O )PK'ing begginer newbies for no reason at all
Rude boi, I don't view it as an addon... Because that part of the game was originally part of the promised package - Oh! Broken Promises! ONOZ.

That part of the game encountered errors, so instead of working through them, they just stuck all their people on setting up the game for release. Once everything was settled they began working on the 'expansion'.

Short and sweet - Paying twice for what was originally slated to be one item.

Does that, or does that not sound familiar?

Also note, that no major graphical overhauls are being brought with this - only more content and new areas.

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 08:31
Also note, that no major graphical overhauls are being brought with this - only more content and new areas.

thats funny, i could of sworn that it said the whole game engine was being updated to Dx9

athon
13-05-04, 10:31
thats funny, i could of sworn that it said the whole game engine was being updated to Dx9
Not to mention new textures.

But then I think that Neocron's graphics are in quite a good state. IMO Neocron is far more abotu gameplay than eye-candy, and that's a good thing.

Why does a game have to have state of the art graphics to be good? Is eye-candy all you're worried about?

For me playing an MMORPG is about the community, the team-work, the roleplaying.

Athon Solo

Oath
13-05-04, 11:01
The words ROLE - PLAY are lost on some people.

OOC has no meaning because people that use it *mostly* dont roleplay.

svenw
13-05-04, 11:17
i still consider it a addon since its was supposed to come out as a *free* addon... i still cant fully c why, its being released as a *full* game instead of a addon, if it is gona b a full game, then i dont c they r gona tie it in with the nc servers I must disapoint you. DOY IS for free! The city DOY was supposed to be the add-on/patch whatsoever. Nobody promised you gliders, a new grafic-engine, WoC skill, new netcode etc. for free or that they would be part of DOY. I would estimate that the pure DOY content (most of the other work is backstage work) is about 30% of BDOY.
When you've got an account you pay 19 Euro instead of 29 Euro. That is a 30% discount so you really get what was intended to be DOY for free. And with the free month in the package you really just pay 10 Euro for the whole rest. Thats more than fair for me. Think about it!

Marx
13-05-04, 14:58
thats funny, i could of sworn that it said the whole game engine was being updated to Dx9Upgrade to Dx9 does not neccesarily equate to better graphics (nor does it make for a major overhaul)- just means more available options for the makers to toy with. What they do with it determines if the game is getting 'overhauled'.

Not to mention new textures.Wow! New textures! We'll be getting some of those in the next retail patch, I'm going to go get my credit card ready!

The words ROLE - PLAY are lost on some peopleTechTV agrees.

Although the instruction manual has more than 20 pages dedicated to the story of "Neocron," all you really need to know is this: It's the future. Lots of bad things have happened. People really like to wear shiny leather. This is a simplification, of course, but after you've spent some time with "Neocron" you'll realize that no one else in the game cares about the story, either. They just want to run around and kill things. Is this the state of modern role-playing?

"Neocron" offers four character classes, each associated with several specific job types. Players must also join a faction. Despite the game's best intentions, though, nobody seems to want to play in character.

Strych9
13-05-04, 15:34
Wow, glad this thread was here. Now KK can go back in time and run things just like City of Heroes. WHEW!!!

:rolleyes:

Come on guys, time to lay this to rest. We know BDOY is coming out later than they hoped. We know they are also doing a lot of things now that players have specifically asked for.

Not saying you need to forgive them or leave the game... but we know BDOY is late. Let it go. If it loves you as much as you love talking about it, it will come back to you. Then you know the love is real.

Kasumi
13-05-04, 15:35
Yeah, could have been. Even so, second place is still pretty good if you're on your fifth pint before third place even crosses the line.
Hrmm Ryzom has a first person interface.. so do several other MMORPGs.. I dont think Neocron was second.. :)

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 16:31
I think Neocron is the first.. I liked endless ages but it was just so quiet that
I missed Neocron.. The one thing I have always liked about Neocron has
been the community. The people in this game are great we talk to each
other and get our ideas out there. We may not like everything that you say
but at least there is always something being communicated.

Furion
13-05-04, 16:36
Hrmm Ryzom has a first person interface.. so do several other MMORPGs.. I dont think Neocron was second.. :)

isnt ryzom a new game tho?

jernau
13-05-04, 16:40
Ryzom is 3rd person by design. You can go first person if you want but lots of things are screwed up if you do. Also combat is click-and-wait not FPS.

Most importantly though it's not out yet.

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 17:32
tbh, i really wanna get BDOY, main reason for being the NEW stuff like hacknet, but ive been waiting for MxO since b4 DOY was announced, and because that has been delayed to the same time as BDOY, i prolly wont get BDOY till i get bored of CoH, Then CoV (when ever thats released), and MxO, and thats probably gona be a long time

(btw any1 signing up for the MxO beta? i cant cos im not american, the *best* country in the world)

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 19:20
There are FPS elements to COH.

YOu can avoid attacks by moving quickly but it is a recharge based system.

I don't have a high speed firing weapon so i don't know how that works
but you can mod a power/weapon in a way that you can customize the damage and recharge rates.

Original monk
13-05-04, 19:27
im playing this game for about a week now (coh) and i find it a weird game i must say ... dunno if i keep it it looks childish ...

but the skillthingie etc i wonna check out first, my first impression isnt that good but i know alot of people that play it extensively and im still noob at it ...

so i gonna try it out a bit first

John_Ravenhawk
13-05-04, 19:30
im playing this game for about a week now (coh) and i find it a weird game i must say ... dunno if i keep it it looks childish ...

but the skillthingie etc i wonna check out first, my first impression isnt that good but i know alot of people that play it extensively and im still noob at it ...

so i gonna try it out a bit first

Can you give me some examples of why you think it is childish..

Rude Boi
13-05-04, 23:42
well, the closet thing to *bad* evil horrific things in the game must b the zombies (Vahzilok) and the ************'s (5th *something*)

(damn my mind goes blank at the most unbelievable time :p )

Spoon
14-05-04, 00:05
KK learn something from NCSoft?

I doubt it, NCSoft is one wank-ass company, IMO.....

NCSoft could learn something from KK, though...

KK actually communicates with it's customerbase, unlike NCSoft...

KK takes input from it's customerbase, NCSoft ignores it's customers.....

NCSoft is just a huge, greedy machine.....

Don't believe me?, go read through Lineage 2's forum..

Then try and call me a liar..... ;)

Rude Boi
14-05-04, 00:06
i do believe thats the exact opposite of what they are really like

John_Ravenhawk
14-05-04, 00:33
well, the closet thing to *bad* evil horrific things in the game must b the zombies (Vahzilok) and the ************'s (5th *something*)

(damn my mind goes blank at the most unbelievable time :p )

And where are the bad horrific things in Neocron.. What the Droms...
Or the cute and fuzzy rats.. Or the big bad spiders if you want to get
into the low level stuff lets get at it nothing in a computer game scares me..

It is all fake... So please tell me what you find horrific in Neocron.

John_Ravenhawk
14-05-04, 00:34
Oh i forgot the huge scorpions and big bad wolves.

Rude Boi
14-05-04, 00:56
i know nothing aint scary, im just saying, to a little kid, Y-Commanders might scare them.... dunno why or how they play neocron, but (and im not bitching here) but if the monters in neocron wernt so square headed, maybe they would look liek sumthing outa resident evil, and resident evil is a game which scares alot of people, and theres nothing like that in CoH

i duno ive gone off topic, but im sleep typing :/

jernau
14-05-04, 01:43
The System Shock games can really freak you out if you play a long session in the dark, especially after a few drinks have loosened up your imagination.

NC may not do that to many people now that we've all seen everything but it certainly got a lot closer than any other MMORPG I've played back when I was a noob creeping around in the dark exploring a new world.

John_Ravenhawk
14-05-04, 09:49
Response Time...

I had a stuck mob in COH and within 10 minutes a GM responded and helped
me the shortest time it took a Nc GM to respond was 24 hours.