PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down :|

HatchetRyda
12-05-04, 19:27
Well.. I was getting my air conditoner in.. I was like Uber!! Well, I had left my machine on and my mom knocked my power strip out of the outlet.. No problem I say, so I plug it back in and got the AC on full blast log on to windows.. No Neocron!! I have one side of icons the back ground is all different.. So, I try a system restore.. Crash. Then, gotta go through all this trouble of shutting down and re-starting, had to delete a user name and do another system resote.. Sad thing is do not mess with windows.. I lost a folder of music.. A folder of pictures from games and all this other stuff.. Warning is SHUT DOWN your computer the right away, trust me.

J. Folsom
12-05-04, 19:30
Must have been quite a knock, as far as I know those things can take quite some punishment before they get knocked out.

And my tests consist of having a 10 Kg cat attempting to hang from a cable. Silly cat. Annoying if it happens with a controller you're holding though, a sudden tug like that is freaky :p

Anyway, I'd guess it's the fact that you had to delete the user name which cost you your stored music and images. That's why My Documents is evil.

slaughteruall
12-05-04, 19:32
I never turn my comp off. I just reboot it if it locks up or for a windows update. Soon as i get my 2nd comp up and running it also will never be shutdown. I dont see a point in turning them off just to turn them back on later.

Slaughter

HatchetRyda
12-05-04, 19:34
Must have been quite a knock, as far as I know those things can take quite some punishment before they get knocked out.

And my tests consist of having a 10 Kg cat attempting to hang from a cable. Silly cat. Annoying if it happens with a controller you're holding though, a sudden tug like that is freaky :p

Anyway, I'd guess it's the fact that you had to delete the user name which cost you your stored music and images. That's why My Documents is evil.

Your funny ^^. You said silly cat, lmfao. Ugh.. Got annoying B*tch sitting next to me.. Miss Stuck Up. Well, yea I took a hard knock thats for sure :(

HatchetRyda
12-05-04, 19:37
I never turn my comp off. I just reboot it if it locks up or for a windows update. Soon as i get my 2nd comp up and running it also will never be shutdown. I dont see a point in turning them off just to turn them back on later.

Slaughter

I never turn it off.. My power strip got knocked out of the wall, thats when it got the bad shut down.

slaughteruall
12-05-04, 19:40
I never turn it off.. My power strip got knocked out of the wall, thats when it got the bad shut down.

Yes i know what you said. Just stating that i never shut my down. I've neve had bad luck like that. I've even taken some bad power hits (Power is not very stable where i live damn backwoods state).

Slaughter

StryfeX
13-05-04, 03:18
APC UPS > All :D :D

Power around my neighborhood isn't usually that bad, but I got it "just in case" and it has saved my ass a few times. Too bad my 19" CRT monitor sucks up the battery like no one's business. :x

--Stryfe

jernau
13-05-04, 03:32
Keep a 12V LCD on the second output of your gfx card - they use almost no power. If you de-spin all your HDDs and just browse web you can last hours even on a small household UPS.

FBI
13-05-04, 06:17
Should do a chkdsk -y C:\

Driver files could be corrupt because of the shut down, most common problem.
Has happened to me before, my NTFS file system got screwed and windows was
acting strange, did a scan and it found the problem in the system 32 folder,
several drivers were truncated.

Parad0x -FBI

EternalDecay
13-05-04, 07:04
Back up files you don't wanna lose imo.

Wellard
13-05-04, 11:14

Sorry - I know this is a little OT but..............a 10kg cat????? Thats one fat bastard cat!!!! wot is it a tiger cub? :lol:

@hatchetryder - thats some bad shit dood, unlucky - but have u looked in the back of your pc tower? sometimes when your hd is spinning fast and stops suddenly, some of the data shoots off and ends up inside your case somewhere........apparently ;)

witchdoctor075
13-05-04, 17:58
@hatchetryder - thats some bad shit dood, unlucky - but have u looked in the back of your pc tower? sometimes when your hd is spinning fast and stops suddenly, some of the data shoots off and ends up inside your case somewhere........apparently ;)[/QUOTE]
LMFAO...that is hilarious. I always wondered where all my lost data went?? I gotta log and open up my case and see if it is in there...see you later.

rob444
13-05-04, 18:25

Slaughter

I do it too on my other machine, that machine got very high cpu temperature and harddrive temperature and as I never shut it down the harddrive has taken alot of damage, deadlocks and all that, copy a 5 mb file from C:\ to C:\test takes like 10-15 sec, burn a cd that normally took 3-5 min now take 10-30min, install a game takes 40-70 minutes (depending on how many cd's) and soundcard goes dead and the whole machine needs a reboot. I hope you dont got to much temperature on your harddrive, otherwise I recommend shutting it off :)

J. Folsom
13-05-04, 19:10
Sorry - I know this is a little OT but..............a 10kg cat????? Thats one fat bastard cat!!!! wot is it a tiger cub? :lol: It really is a fat bastard cat ;)

I'd show you a picture, but don't have any form of digital camera or scanner.

I can however describe the cat in the following way:

I have 6 cats, one of those usually eats half the food I put out. :P

StryfeX
14-05-04, 00:59
Keep a 12V LCD on the second output of your gfx card - they use almost no power. If you de-spin all your HDDs and just browse web you can last hours even on a small household UPS.I would, but I'm waiting for decent LCDs to come out that have refresh times of around 12ms and DON'T cost an arm and a leg.

--Stryfe

jernau
14-05-04, 02:08
I would, but I'm waiting for decent LCDs to come out that have refresh times of around 12ms and DON'T cost an arm and a leg.

--Stryfe
I don't use it for gaming. Normally it plays random music videos and MP3s or I can use it to display info on games I'm playing next to my main monitor (eg maps). 6-8" ones are about £50-80 and surprisingly handy once you have one.

james_finn
14-05-04, 02:41
So as in recommending a LCD which would you recommend and why? I want one that will run msn for me always on a different screen to my gaming screen. I'd also like it to show track names or somthing like that.

I was looking at the smaller ones that fit into the front of the case, but i dont think they have enough features for me. Also the fact that I have a cover over my external 3.5" bays kinda makes em a bit pointless lol :lol:

delphi